Author Topic: Wild Animals  (Read 12245 times)

Offline Startrupper

• Rate Post
  • Bosn
Wild Animals
« on: December 10, 2015, 10:25:26 »
How are combat related trades like infantrymen, combat eng, armored, etc, trained to deal with wild animals when it comes to self-defense?

Offline LightFighter

• Rate Post
Re: Wild Animals
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 10:31:37 »
CoA 1 avoid them
CoA 2 run faster than the next guy/girl

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 10:36:59 »
How are combat related trades like infantrymen, combat eng, armored, etc, trained to deal with wild animals when it comes to self-defense?

Use common sense, only training required.

Offline MCG

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 10:41:15 »
I have seen Rangers used in the north for polar bears, and I have seen shotguns deployed in other places where there was a particular concern.  However, generally we just avoid the animals and maintain clean bivouacs. 

Offline cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 10:44:13 »
I recall quality time in Gagetown in my mis-spent youth chasing members of the Royal Bear Regiment out of our bivouac with thunderflashes.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 11:22:47 »
I recall quality time in Gagetown in my mis-spent youth chasing members of the Royal Bear Regiment out of our bivouac with thunderflashes.

The Air Force has been known to use "bear bangers" at mess dinners.  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/trial-ordered-in-bear-banger-case-1.261068
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 11:32:21 »
I have seen Rangers used in the north for polar bears, and I have seen shotguns deployed in other places where there was a particular concern.
Those are pretty tough Rangers if you use them instead of long arms against polar bears  ;D
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 13:23:10 »
Those are pretty tough Rangers if you use them instead of long arms against polar bears  ;D

I don't remember the details very well, but a guy on my basic who was remustering from the army (medic or supply tech can't remember) said that when he was posted up North (Alert? details fuzzy...) there was an occasion where he or someone else (again, details fuzzy) encountered a polar bear, and it "attacked" them. They had their C7s with them for just this potential eventuality. He said they had to unload an entire magazine before the Bear went down.
:panic: :mg:
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 13:31:07 »

I don't remember the details very well, but a guy on my basic who was remustering from the army (medic or supply tech can't remember) said that when he was posted up North (Alert? details fuzzy...) there was an occasion where he or someone else (again, details fuzzy) encountered a polar bear, and it "attacked" them. They had their C7s with them for just this potential eventuality. He said they had to unload an entire magazine before the Bear went down.
:panic: :mg:
That just may be a 'CF Arctic myth'. I've heard the same story except with FN's in the 70's. The entry and exit wounds would be much larger...

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 13:41:25 »
I was a safety man up north during a deployment in the mid '70s. I carried a FN with 20 rounds of Dominion .308 Winchester soft points. My ROEs were simple. If I brought one down, it better have powder burns on the fur.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 22:30:24 »

Short answer: They're not.

Long answer: Read all the foregoing. (tl;dr: CAF members get trained to use a rifle, and issued ammunition and told to shoot if and when a credible threat may exist, which will never happen for most members.)

Mall ninja answer: Watch relevant and non-relevant Youtube videos, convince self of superiority over potential threat due to being a thinking and tool making primate, and buy a really ******* big anti-tank knife.

Offline MCG

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 23:15:30 »

Offline OldTanker

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 23:32:03 »
We did a Northern Viking (?) sovereignty exercise in Arviat in 1988, and since the C7s were not considered adequate defense against a polar bear each of our patrols had Rangers with .303s. Good thing we never considered going to war against the polar bears . . .

Offline kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 07:22:32 »
The mosquitoes are what you should really worry about. As Willy P said to me, "I need more bug juice, the mosquitoes out there will carry you away."
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.
                                                                                                                   Yogi Berra

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 09:47:56 »
A general rule with all bears is don't shoot them in the head, it just pi$$es them off.  I can't imagine a C7 5.56mm round would have enough kinietic energy to seriously slow down an angry polar bear quickly enough.  The FN's 7.62mm round would have a better chance.  In either case, be prepared to shoot a lot and keep moving.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 10:02:54 »
As I have been told by an Inuit elder in the Rangers, if confronted by a polar bear, always run and break to the left, by and large polar bears are right handed, and that way you will survive at least another 15 to 20 seconds more.

[:p    :subbies:

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 10:05:19 »
Wild animals are dangerous in their natural habitats (Legions, Country bars), so avoid them. If you somehow get dragged home by a cougar, know that they can be particularly vicious when you're leaving in the morning and you recognize her daughter in the kitchen. In that situation, your only hope is to run;  playing dead will just set you up for a mother/daughter ***-kicking.   :nod:

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 11:19:14 »
The mosquitoes are what you should really worry about. As Willy P said to me, "I need more bug juice, the mosquitoes out there will carry you away."

t thought they did carry you off? You disappeared once on FTX and it took me weeks to do all the paper work before DW would issue me a replacement
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I hate being bi-polar, it's awesome.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • AES Op - Recruiting Info
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 15:18:08 »
Jees, I can't believe no one has said the "whack the person in your section/troop/det you hate the most in the kneecap" technique yet... ;D
Never fight the enemy in his comfort zone.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 15:28:59 »
Jees, I can't believe no one has said the "whack the person in your section/troop/det you hate the most in the kneecap" technique yet... ;D

Also referred to by TWD fans as "pulling a Shane."
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is back. Still says fitness, not drugs.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 22:14:47 »

Wear a condom....
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 22:24:08 »
..., and that way you will survive at least another 15 to 20 seconds more.

So, just enough time to update my facebook status.    [:D

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 23:08:47 »
If you somehow get dragged home by a cougar, know that they can be particularly vicious when you're leaving in the morning and you recognize her daughter in the kitchen. In that situation, your only hope is to run;  playing dead will just set you up for a mother/daughter ***-kicking.   :nod:

I actually have a story about that......
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 23:11:32 »

Amazingly .....I'm not surprised.    ;D       :pop:

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 23:13:43 »

I call BS on that.

I'm betting it's stories, plural.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html