Author Topic: Applying for RMC 2017-2018 school year  (Read 5454 times)

Offline CanPatr

• Rate Post
Applying for RMC 2017-2018 school year
« on: September 27, 2016, 17:54:57 »
 So apparently this is an annual discussion around here.
Who else is applying for RMC and ROTP starting in the 2017-2018 school year.

Let the discussion begin...

:cdn: :cdn:
Canadian Patriot

For those who have been given much, much will be required.

Offline ClassicOCdt

• Rate Post
Re: Applying for RMC 2017-2018 school year
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 13:13:00 »
I am currently a 1st year student at RMC. And I am very willing to help anyone who is applying this year.

So if you guys have any questions concerning everything, throw at me and I will be glad to answer   :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 14:05:30 by ClassicOCdt »

Offline CanPatr

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 16:38:44 »
ClassicOCdt,
Just a couple questions.
How long did your interview take and when were you notified that you had been accepted?

Thanks in advance!
Canadian Patriot

Offline Justin Ko

• Rate Post
  • Wanting to be a Pilot!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 18:36:44 »
I am currently a 1st year student at RMC. And I am very willing to help anyone who is applying this year.

So if you guys have any questions concerning everything, throw at me and I will be glad to answer   :)
What were your marks like in high school? Were they low, or high? What are you trying to get a degree in? How are you liking it so far?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
― Winston S. Churchill

Offline ClassicOCdt

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 16:10:24 »
ClassicOCdt,
Just a couple questions.
How long did your interview take and when were you notified that you had been accepted?

Thanks in advance!

No problem!

The interview usually takes 45 minutes. The interview is straightforward and the interviewer will ask you about leadership.
I was merit-listed 2 weeks after the interview, and roughly 2 months to get notified that I have been accepted from the interview date.

Offline ClassicOCdt

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 16:18:37 »
What were your marks like in high school? Were they low, or high? What are you trying to get a degree in? How are you liking it so far?

I got 94% average in high school. I am currently doing Science programme right now, and 1st years do general science or arts. You will decide your degree(major) at the beginning of 2nd year. I am doing fine at RMC. The food is great, you have a nice place to sleep, and everything is superb. However, since RMC is a university, you need to form a good habit to sit down and study. You know the saying, 'it is what you make of it.'  :'(

Offline Justin Ko

• Rate Post
  • Wanting to be a Pilot!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 16:32:36 »
I got 94% average in high school. I am currently doing Science programme right now, and 1st years do general science or arts. You will decide your degree(major) at the beginning of 2nd year. I am doing fine at RMC. The food is great, you have a nice place to sleep, and everything is superb. However, since RMC is a university, you need to form a good habit to sit down and study. You know the saying, 'it is what you make of it.'  :'(
Nice! Glad you're enjoying it!

“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
― Winston S. Churchill

Offline ZeiGezunt

• Rate Post
  • "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows"
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 14:06:48 »
Hey there, I'm an ROTP civi u cadet who went through the RMC application process, and I'd be happy to help anyone with any questions about the process they might have.
"Well, we have these big metal phallic symbols, and we ride around on them"

General Rick Hillier on the Armoured Corps

Offline CanPatr

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 19:00:05 »
Hey there, I'm an ROTP civi u cadet who went through the RMC application process, and I'd be happy to help anyone with any questions about the process they might have.

Hi ZeiGezunt
How long after the interview did you have to wait to get merit listed, and/or accepted.

I just completed the interview last week.

Thanks in advance!
Canadian Patriot

Offline Deadpoetic6

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 11:09:32 »
Everyone that got accepted after college, what was your mathematics average? I have 89% average and got refused because it's too low.

Offline ZeiGezunt

• Rate Post
  • "If the tanks succeed, then victory follows"
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 13:20:37 »
Hi ZeiGezunt
How long after the interview did you have to wait to get merit listed, and/or accepted.

I just completed the interview last week.

Thanks in advance!

I was never notified when I was merit listed, but I called about two-three weeks after the interview and was told I was merit listed.

As for being accepted, I had to wait to August for my own acceptance, but they start coming as early as January and continue until just before September.
"Well, we have these big metal phallic symbols, and we ride around on them"

General Rick Hillier on the Armoured Corps

Offline jyk608

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 23:14:42 »

Hello.

After getting admitted to RMC, what do you have to do before studying at RMC?

I heard you have to go through some military training and orientation.

Would you be able to explain about those?

Thank you.

Offline ClassicOCdt

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 19:09:57 »
Hello.

After getting admitted to RMC, what do you have to do before studying at RMC?

I heard you have to go through some military training and orientation.

Would you be able to explain about those?

Thank you.

After you are accepted, you go through the Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ). You do 7 weeks of BMOQ Module 1 before going to RMC, and then module 2 after finishing 1st year at RMC.

Module 1, you will get used to a routine (wake up at 5am and sleep at 11pm), drill practice, classes, weapons safety handling, weapons firing practice, sewing all your kit, first-aid, homework, 5km-8km-13km rucksack march, CBRN drill (Chemical-bio-radiation-nuclear), inspection, PT, and so on. Also there is a leadership position called CPC (Candidate-Platoon-Commander) that each person will assume this position per day taking turns. You will listen to your instructor, get to know the schedule of the day, and command the platoon. It is a good time to evaluate your leadership.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/training-90#tab1   <---pretty much all the infos are in the website.

When I look back after finishing BMOQ mod 1, it was easier than I initially thought before joining the forces. Yes I was stressful when I was doing BMOQ mod 1, but I just took it one at a time. When you simply do what you are told to do, do homework, and get help from your peers, it will be just fine.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Offline Jotzam

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 10:28:56 »
Hello everyone!

I have just submitted my application, and I eagerly await the transcript submission process. (I fear it a little, too.  :blotto:)

Just a little about myself,

I have been a member of these forums for the past year or so, but have been "observing" for the past 6 years. I was a member of the Royal Canadian Dragoons as a Crewman from 2010 to 2013, and these forums were a great resource throughout my application process at that point.

When my contract was nearing expiry, I made the decision to head back to school and start another adventure. I loved all of my time in the forces, but I was young and had little other life experience. I wanted to experience the non-military life for a while and knew the military would always be there if I wanted to apply to serve again.

Fast forward 3 years and I am a little older, married, and nearing completion of a 3 year advanced diploma in Software Development. (The program is called "Computer Programmer Analyst".)

I have worked multiple jobs as a software developer through co-ops, and remained employed today on a part-time basis by an employer who hired me on after a co-op.

After a few years of working in the software industry (and working in general beforehand), I truly miss the military. The lifestyle, the challenges, and the knowledge that at the end of the day, you are serving the people of this wonderful country, and that every ounce of effort that you put into your role, is ultimately for the benefit of many.

With my wife's full support, I have decided that a career within the military is the right fit for who I am, and who I want to continue to be. (Hopefully others feel that way too throughout the process!  :P)

I have applied for the positions of Pilot and Air Combat Systems Officer.

I did very poorly in high school, and lack the high school marks required. However, after searching and reading the forums for many hours, I have found a glimmer of hope in a few examples of applicants in a similar situation that had previous service (and other relevant life/work experience), fantastic post-secondary marks, and were approved. I have maintained a high GPA and have made deans honor role each semester for the last 3 years, so I am hoping that the selection board will find me to be sufficiently academic, and will overlook my high school shortcomings. Furthermore, my college program has many articulation agreements with various universities that allow me entrance with advanced standing into 2nd year with no additional admission requirements. I'm not sure if that counts for anything in their eyes as I am first and foremost applying to RMCC, but at least I know I can gain admission to civilian universities from this diploma alone. I do also volunteer at my college, and have worked as a peer tutor to help mentor other students. 

If worst comes to worst and my high school grades shut me down, I will just continue to work for a year and upgrade those required courses and try again!

Wrapping up, I wish everyone the absolute best in their applications and (hopefully) subsequent military careers.

If anyone wants to chat about, well, anything really, feel free to shoot me a PM!

I will post updates of my progress (or lack thereof) as I go.

Cheers everyone and good luck!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:54:51 by Jotzam »

Offline jyk608

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 19:12:44 »
After you are accepted, you go through the Basic Military Officer Qualification (BMOQ). You do 7 weeks of BMOQ Module 1 before going to RMC, and then module 2 after finishing 1st year at RMC.

Module 1, you will get used to a routine (wake up at 5am and sleep at 11pm), drill practice, classes, weapons safety handling, weapons firing practice, sewing all your kit, first-aid, homework, 5km-8km-13km rucksack march, CBRN drill (Chemical-bio-radiation-nuclear), inspection, PT, and so on. Also there is a leadership position called CPC (Candidate-Platoon-Commander) that each person will assume this position per day taking turns. You will listen to your instructor, get to know the schedule of the day, and command the platoon. It is a good time to evaluate your leadership.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/training-90#tab1   <---pretty much all the infos are in the website.

When I look back after finishing BMOQ mod 1, it was easier than I initially thought before joining the forces. Yes I was stressful when I was doing BMOQ mod 1, but I just took it one at a time. When you simply do what you are told to do, do homework, and get help from your peers, it will be just fine.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you! I appreciate it very much!

Offline Jotzam

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 14:01:22 »
This is an update on my progress from a few posts up.

Today I received my followup e-mail after submitting my transcripts and my application has "been selected for further processing."  :o

I am pretty surprised as after reading many posts here regarding the importance of high school grades for ROTP, I was not really expecting to make it past the academic suitability selection board.

I confirmed back in May through my local CFRC that my previous CFAT scores were acceptable for my trade choices, so unless that has changed since May, I should be moving past that part of the process.

I wish the best of luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear back!

Offline jyk608

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 19:29:48 »
Hello,

I have a question regarding the application process.

I have just completed the interview and the medical assessment (though I'm still required to submit few more documents).

I was told that I have been given conditional acceptance to RMC for all the trades I applied.

Does this mean I passed the interview and just need to wait till the security screening/reference checks to be done?

Thank you.

Offline CanPatr

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 16:22:15 »
Hello,

I have a question regarding the application process.

I have just completed the interview and the medical assessment (though I'm still required to submit few more documents).

I was told that I have been given conditional acceptance to RMC for all the trades I applied.

Does this mean I passed the interview and just need to wait till the security screening/reference checks to be done?

Thank you.

I was told the same thing.
I believe it means you're eligible based on the medical and interview but that there is still competition to get in from other eligible applicants.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Canadian Patriot

Offline Erik3122

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 16:11:55 »
Hello,

If this helps, I received a letter of early offer to the ROTP program as a Construction Engineering Officer.

Medical: Passed quite easily, just waiting for confirmation.

Background Check: Yet to be done, positive it will be fine.

Grade 12 Average: 93% (I live in Ontario, Public School Board.)

EC's:
- Basketball Team (Every year in HS)
- Volleyball Team (Every year in HS)
- Rugby Team (Grade 9 & 10)
- Rep Basketball (2008 to 2016)
- House League Hockey (2004 to present)
- Math Club Member
- Honour Roll Member (Every year in HS)
- Mohawk Bridge Building Contest Competitor
- Few other volunteer opportunities

Aptitude Test: They can't release any actual quantitative results but I did very well the recruiter stated.

Interview: I cannot reveal much information about the interview but can tell you know your trades!

Above is basically everything I have mentioned in my application process.

Offline DirtOnMyBoots

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 21:27:50 »
Hola!

I'm applying for RMC 2017-2018. All I know at the moment is that I passed my CFAT (legal issues with an emancipated minor) but I'm hoping that will be sorted out soon. I was really under the impression that marks aren't that important but that hardly seems the case! I had really great marks up to last semester when everything went downhill thanks to online courses. I'm just hoping everything goes well from here on out... I hope I see some of you next year at RMC or even sooner at Basic!

Offline DSilver

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 22:48:40 »
Hello,

I am applying to go to RMC for the 2017 - 2018 year.

I have my interview and am wondering what kind of prep I should do/what I should bring to the interview, aside from knowing my trade. They didn't send me any information about it. Should I bring my transcript, a resume?

any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Offline Seoul922

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 01:45:42 »
Hello everyone,

I hope this will be helpful to anyone applying to ROTP this year; I am currently a Grade 12 student in Ontario and was offered an early acceptance letter to RMC Kingston (Bachelor of Engineering) as an Aerospace Engineering Officer (AERE) on December 20th of 2016.

I applied and submitted my academic transcripts in September and as far as my academics were concerned, my admission average was 94% with the following courses: (Ontario Public School Board)

Advanced Functions 4U - 98%
Challenge and Change 4U - 96%
Chemistry 3U - 95%
Functions 3U - 94%
English 3U - 92%
Physics 3U - 90%

I have also been enrolled in the Air Cadets Program for more than 5 years. Some of my other major extra curricular activities & abilities are:

- Duke of Edinburgh's Silver Award (currently finalzing on Gold)
- Cadet Summer Camps / Various Cadet Awards
- School Music Council
- School Concert Band / Jazz Band
- School Varsity Boys Soccer Team (been playing competitive soccer since I was 8 years old)
- 325 volunteer hours (volunteered mainly with Legions, Scouts, Youth Camps and Museums)
- Fluency in Korean

I was notified of the early acceptance just before my interview started. I am currently waiting for my medical to be fully processed so that I can sign my contract for the AERE trade as soon as possible. From my understanding, the CAF is currently in need of more AEREs than ever before; everything worked out for me since it was my first choice. :christmas happy: I was told that my aptitude test scores were very good; for the interview, I will concur with the aforementioned posts that you need to have a very strong background knowledge on your trades. I really hope to see everyone at BMOQ in the summer!

Offline Didi30

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 11:27:59 »
Is it usual receiving an early offer for RMC or CMR? I heard it was just for top level applicants!

Offline montoya

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 13:47:46 »
If you are looking at seoulhamilton's post while making that comment, I would suggest that he/she is a top level candidate!

Offline Nomulous

• The Fun One
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 19:15:47 »
I'm currently a 2nd year Civ. student under ROTP for a Pilot. If anyone has any questions about Civ. U, ACS, other extra stuff. Feel free to ask here or PM me and I'll happily answer any of your questions. As a note, I applied during my 1st year of university, and got accepted.