Author Topic: Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis  (Read 504363 times)

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis
« Reply #1450 on: May 05, 2017, 05:22:33 »
Saying the Prime Minister is not allowing troops to have "Freedom of Speech" is a bit of a stretch.  No matter what political party is in power all CAF Members are subject to QR&O 19.36

19.36 - DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION OR OPINION

(1) For the purposes of this article, the adjective "military" shall be construed as relating not only to the Canadian Forces but also to the armed forces of any country.

(2) Subject to article 19.375 (Communications to News Agencies), no officer or non-commissioned member shall without permission obtained under article 19.37 (Permission to Communicate Information):
a.publish in any form whatever or communicate directly or indirectly or otherwise disclose to an unauthorized person official information or the contents of an unpublished or classified official document or the contents thereof;
b.use that information or document for a private purpose;
c.publish in any form whatever any military information or the member's views on any military subject to unauthorized persons;
d.deliver publicly, or record for public delivery, either directly or through the medium of radio or television, a lecture, discourse or answers to questions relating to a military subject;
e.prepare a paper or write a script on any military subject for delivery or transmission to the public;
f.publish the member's opinions on any military question that is under consideration by superior authorities;
g.take part in public in a discussion relating to orders, regulations or instructions issued by the member's superiors;
h.disclose to an unauthorized person, without the authority of the department, agency or other body concerned, any information acquired in an official capacity while seconded, attached or loaned to that department, agency or other body;
i.furnish to any person, not otherwise authorized to receive them, official reports, correspondence or other documents, or copies thereof; or
j.publish in writing or deliver any lecture, address or broadcast in any dealing with a subject of a controversial nature affecting other departments of the public service or pertaining to public policy.

(3) This article does not apply to a writing, lecture, address or broadcast confined exclusively to members of the Canadian Forces.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1451 on: May 05, 2017, 08:34:43 »
Saying the Prime Minister is not allowing troops to have "Freedom of Speech" is a bit of a stretch.
I skimmed a couple of his blog entries and it's apparent that he cares more about bashing Trudeau than getting facts straight. 

Noted, and dismissed.   :boring:
I even read works I disagree with;  life outside  an ideological echo chamber.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #1452 on: May 05, 2017, 12:48:15 »
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1453 on: May 05, 2017, 13:28:13 »
I skimmed a couple of his blog entries and it's apparent that he cares more about bashing Trudeau than getting facts straight. 

Noted, and dismissed.   :boring:

According to this CBC report, Spencer Fernando was the chief-of-staff for the Manitoba Liberal party until 07 May 2016, when he resigned. Just a couple days later his girlfriend, Stephanie Danyluk (Liberal candidate for Fort Whyte) also resigned. No real details for the resignations.

Prior to that (2006-2015), he worked for both the federal and provincial Conservative parties. In Aug 2014, he got booted from the provincial PC party for writing an article supporting an inquiry into the missing/murdered aboriginal women.

His articles have appeared (2010 - 2013) in the Manitoban (Official students newspaper for the University of Manitoba), the Mytoba.ca, and the Easton Spectator.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #1454 on: May 05, 2017, 13:30:53 »
Tax free status is linked to a combination of Risk and Hardship.

Those 15 soldiers live in hard accommodations on a base with a pool, a number of food courts, and 3 different PXs where their US counterparts head downtown to rent jet skis.  They never leave the Base.

They are not being punished. 

The other Canadians live in tents on a base without a pool, only 2 PXs, an outdoor food court, and where their US counterparts go jet skiing.  All but those that fly never leave the Base.

Obviously they face much greater dangers and deprivation and so are worthy of tax free status....................

Those that fly on the other hand face significant danger every day....that they leave the Base and fly over hostile territory.  They are completely worthy of tax free status.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline It's a great day to be a Gunner.

• Rate Post
« Reply #1455 on: May 20, 2017, 10:42:46 »
Is there a specific place to find recommendations and suggestions on how to be best prepared for a tour to Baghdad?
From what to expect with geographic details, to 'must haves' for packing gucci kit/sniffle kit.
I'm sure any experienced member willing to chat would be helpful.
Thanks. 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators - AES OP
« Reply #1456 on: May 20, 2017, 19:48:16 »
Our folks just passed stuff word of mouth from crew to crew, so if I were you I'd try to find out who is in your slot now and ask them directly.   :2c:
The only time you have too much gas is when you're on fire.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1457 on: May 24, 2017, 19:05:15 »
Confirmation from CBC that one of the two Auroras are back home. 

Canada brings home 1 of 2 Aurora surveillance planes from anti-ISIS mission

One of the Canadian air force spy planes assigned to the campaign against the Islamic State has been quietly withdrawn and brought home, CBC News has learned.

The CP-140 Aurora, with a suite of high-tech surveillance equipment, was one of two that had been flying missions over northern Iraq and Syria since the fall of 2014.

The decision to bring one of the turboprop aircraft home was not announced by the Liberal government, which recently extended the deployment of the Canadian military, including special forces trainers on the ground, until the end of June.

A single CP-140 and a refuelling tanker remain in Kuwait, where the Canadian Air Task Force has been based, to continue operations alongside the U.S.-led coalition.

But the decision could signal the beginning of the end of Canada's military involvement in the anti-ISIS fight.

(More on link)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sajjan-iraq-isis-cp-140-1.4129219
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1458 on: May 24, 2017, 19:20:31 »
For the love of all things sane and normal, do not read the story comments.   8)

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #1459 on: May 24, 2017, 19:23:39 »
Soon, our foreign policy will be characterized as "Words, not deeds."

That being said, we must be burning lots of hours into those already old airframes. I would hope that this is because someone recommended we cut sorties so we're not without the Auroras when a replacement shows up in 30 years.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1460 on: May 24, 2017, 19:25:50 »
The decision was the right one, for the right reasons and at the right time.   :2c:

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #1461 on: May 24, 2017, 19:48:30 »
The amount of burn out was getting high. If nothing was done there would be no more aircrew to fly them.
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1462 on: May 24, 2017, 23:41:59 »
The amount of burn out was getting high. If nothing was done there would be no more aircrew to fly them.

Exactly.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1463 on: May 25, 2017, 05:52:29 »
Exactly.

I'm convinced that a good portion of that burn out rate is based our inability to produce high numbers of qualified aircrew and our mismanagement of personnel.

I am glad they scaled this back, it's what we need.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:36:12 by Dolphin_Hunter »

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Rate Post
« Reply #1464 on: May 25, 2017, 10:28:29 »
I wonder if they will scale back any of the 350 support staff there to support the planes.....

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #1465 on: May 25, 2017, 11:10:53 »
I had assumed that the aircraft had reached a flight hour limit that required a higher level of maintenance. 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1466 on: May 25, 2017, 11:49:57 »
I just want to throw this in;  everyone needs to consider that the LRP fleet was doing its normal stuff concurrent to IMPACT.  It takes a considerable amount of resources to support a deployed Det in a sustained op, and IMPACT had a 2 aircraft Det in play since Oct 2014.  It's not just the aircrew that takes the hit;  maintainers, mission support, Det HQ all place their own demands on personnel and IMPACT wasn't the only OUTCAN tasking happening.  There's the requirement to keep people at the LRP Training and Force Development Sqns (404 and 415) to keep those wheels turning.  The Transport fleet also plays a major support role, bringing people and parts in/out of theatre.  All those people need to be supported at their home units and the JTF.  Lots of effort right across the board.

As I said, the information was provided to the decision makers, and the decision was made to scale back the Det.  IMO (I consider my opinion relatively informed on this subj), the right decision was made at the right time.  OPSEC would prevent me from going further on the subj than that, but the LRP fleet can be proud of the work done on a 2 aircraft Det from Oct 2014 til now and into the future with the 1 tail left in theatre to continue doing the work being done.  Its been a busy, demanding 2.5+ years.  Not only when the folks are deployed, but maintaining the other tasks done by our fleet day to week to month when not deployed to IMPACT when they are/were between ROTOs. 

It was likely the same for fighter folks before they left, and the AAR and TacHel fleets are still there doing their business too.  Sticks on the ice, hope everyone gets back to homeplate after every launch.

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
« Reply #1467 on: May 25, 2017, 13:31:33 »
I'm convinced that a good portion of that burn out rate is based our inability to produce high numbers of qualified aircrew and our mismanagement of personnel.

I am glad they scaled this back, it's what we need.

On another note, doesn't this seem kind of ridiculous that we can't sustain TWO CP140's deployed for an extended amount of time before our aircrew, maintainers and airframes are burnt out. Our political leadership needs a swift kick to the teeth.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1468 on: May 25, 2017, 14:40:45 »
Well, we did sustain a 2 tail Det for 2.5+ years.  Comparing to keeping say, an Inf Coy deployed for 2.5 years...we have less crews than the Army has Inf Coys, and they have the big Res Inf pool to draw on if needed.  Aircrew...not so much. 

Like any fleet, airframes were rotated in/out as needed for maint.  The big effect, IMO, was the combined sustained op and *all the other stuff* the fleet does.  Only so much juice in a battery, then you need to charge it or replace it. 

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1469 on: May 25, 2017, 16:00:45 »
On another note, doesn't this seem kind of ridiculous that we can't sustain TWO CP140's deployed for an extended amount of time before our aircrew, maintainers and airframes are burnt out. Our political leadership needs a swift kick to the teeth.

Yes, we have issues. 

Knee jerk reactions have only worsened our situation.

With no solid plan in place to fix it, I think it's going to be at least 4-5 years before we are where we want to be in terms of manning.