Author Topic: Common, Generic Recruiting Questions [MERGED]  (Read 14940 times)

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
Re: Common, Generic Recruiting Questions [MERGED]
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 22:48:51 »
I am necro posting here, instead of creating a new thread.

I have seen that halal/kosher/vegetarian food, may or will be available in varying degrees at each of the bases and this is not the issue. Nor is the fact I am allowed my beard with certain restrictions. In fact I am more then happy.

My question is, at which point should I inform the recruiting office about my wish to keep a beard and eat halal? (halal, vegetarian and kosher all work for me).

If their are enough Jewish, Vegetarian or Muslims signing up would they arrange to have us do BMQ together? (extremely long shot and not realistic, I know. I also do not expect it) I have talked to the recruiter about keeping a beard and all he said was show up to bmq and claim religious exemption... but I prefer to double check and inquire about eating Halal, Kosher or Vegetarian.

Also I watched the basic up series, very informative and I am aware that I will most likely need to shave my beard even if I have an exemption for the gas chamber training. That also as me wondering if they will request me to be clean shaven for bmq and then I could grow it out after? (That is acceptable to me, because it is legitimate training and they need to know I will follow orders. Also I prefer to know beforehand so I can shave before going if i have to... so I am not as sensitive lol)

Anyone have any insights? Any Rabbi's? Recruiters? BMQ instructors? Or person with correct knowledge?

Thanks guys
Abdullah
Recruting Center: Vancouver
Component: Reg Force
Trade Choice 1: MSEOP
Application Date: 09/22/2016
First Contact: 09/28/2016
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA
Position Offered: TBA
Basic Training Begins: TBA
Trade *Correction trade is open, back to getting fit :)*

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 12:04:40 »
I am necro posting here, instead of creating a new thread.

I'm not in recruiting so most of if not all of my response is just guessing.

My question is, at which point should I inform the recruiting office about my wish to keep a beard and eat halal? (halal, vegetarian and kosher all work for me).
You could ask recruiting to note it somewhere on your file that you're Muslim (I'm sure it already is) and you want to eat Halal but I don't think recruiting would care too much or even matter when it comes to what food you want and wearing a beard, that's more for your course staff.

When you show up you'll be asked to identify if you have dietary needs and you can tell them then that you want Halal.
[A point on that. I had a student who requested Halal meals which meant he got specially made meals in the field. When he didn't like what was being served for his Halal meal he just had what everyone else was having. That put him in a really bad spot not only with instructors but students as well.]

As far as a beard goes yes you can request permission to grow/have a beard for religious reasons if you don't show up with one already (consent that is from the CF). You can ask to speak with the padre (not doctor) about getting permission.  I'm just guessing here but showing up with a beard without some kind of approval could start you off on the wrong foot (all extra paperwork does, really).  It wouldn't hurt for you to go to your local cleric priest guy and have him write something up about you being a devout Muslim who wears a beard for religious reasons. That way the CF knows you're serious about it and not doing it on a whim. I'll be honest I think there's a good chance you'll come under more scrutiny being a convert so supporting evidence will help.

If their are enough Jewish, Vegetarian or Muslims signing up would they arrange to have us do BMQ together? (extremely long shot and not realistic, I know.
I can't really see that happening, it really goes against what we're trying to achieve with basic training.

Also I watched the basic up series, very informative and I am aware that I will most likely need to shave my beard even if I have an exemption for the gas chamber training. That also as me wondering if they will request me to be clean shaven for bmq and then I could grow it out after?
Good question. I'm not sure what the current policy is for basic training and CBRN exemptions. I'll try and see what I can dig up.

Alternately I'm not sure how attached you are to your beard (har har) but you could consider showing up shaven and then growing your beard out after CBRN/gas hut training or growing your beard after basic training. That could alleviate some of the issues with having a beard. Growing it after passing basic could be symbolic too? I don't know. 

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 12:39:52 »
I'm not in recruiting so most of if not all of my response is just guessing.
You could ask recruiting to note it somewhere on your file that you're Muslim (I'm sure it already is) and you want to eat Halal but I don't think recruiting would care too much or even matter when it comes to what food you want and wearing a beard, that's more for your course staff.

When you show up you'll be asked to identify if you have dietary needs and you can tell them then that you want Halal.
[A point on that. I had a student who requested Halal meals which meant he got specially made meals in the field. When he didn't like what was being served for his Halal meal he just had what everyone else was having. That put him in a really bad spot not only with instructors but students as well.]

Ack, Muslims of convenience. They make us look bad, I am fully prepared to eat whatever is available and halal. If I have to go without on some occasions that is fine, I will not however eat food that is impermissible. (I actually reviewed the vegetarian/kosher etc threads on this forum and realize at certain points in my CF career the only halal food could be potatoes and I am okay with that.)

But it sounds like halal food will already be on site and I just need to request it, with no prior warning eh? That is awesome... these poor cooks likely need a pay raise for dealing with us picky fellows. God bless em all.

As far as a beard goes yes you can request permission to grow/have a beard for religious reasons if you don't show up with one already (consent that is from the CF). You can ask to speak with the padre (not doctor) about getting permission.  I'm just guessing here but showing up with a beard without some kind of approval could start you off on the wrong foot (all extra paperwork does, really).  It wouldn't hurt for you to go to your local cleric priest guy and have him write something up about you being a devout Muslim who wears a beard for religious reasons. That way the CF knows you're serious about it and not doing it on a whim. I'll be honest I think there's a good chance you'll come under more scrutiny being a convert so supporting evidence will help.

See being a Muslim convert, eating halal and keeping a beard I fully expect to be under closer scrutiny potentially. My good friend who served many years in the RAF warned me of this and just told me to work my *** off and earn everything I ask for. He basically said if I get to eat halal food made specially for me, get extra prayer breaks etc, I should also offer to take the tough middle of the night fire watches to help team mates out and pull my own weight etc etc.

I will arrange for one of my friends who is an Imam and scholar to write up the note regarding a beard. I just want to avoid showing up and making things harder for staff.. cause an odd feeling that would single me out more. Hence the questions.

I can't really see that happening, it really goes against what we're trying to achieve with basic training.

Exactly as expected, as it should be too I suppose.

Good question. I'm not sure what the current policy is for basic training and CBRN exemptions. I'll try and see what I can dig up.

Thank you

Alternately I'm not sure how attached you are to your beard (har har) but you could consider showing up shaven and then growing your beard out after CBRN/gas hut training or growing your beard after basic training. That could alleviate some of the issues with having a beard. Growing it after passing basic could be symbolic too? I don't know.

I am fairly attached to it ;) I just dont know if showing up clean shaven, would show that I dont really care about my beard.. because I do. If I have to shave though, I will. If they want me to show up clean shaven up until 'xyz' point in training where I will be allowed to re grow it then that is okay too. If I have to be clean shaven for basic that is fine too.

I am just trying to figure out my best course of action. Thanks for a few answers Jarnhamar, I will get that letter as a starting point. That was solid advice.

Abdullah
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 13:37:10 »
You're asking some pretty tough questions but I'll try my best and is probably a repeat of what Jarnhamar has already mentioned.

First off, Food Svcs (ie; Mess Hall/Kitchen) at any location aren't equipped or trained, let alone funded, to be able to provide halal or kosher meals.  So the possibility of being accommodated isn't in your favour.  It has been looked at before but the costs were just too prohibitive and so were the risks.

As far as the beard is concerned, that just might be a choice they allow you to make for yourself.  But be forewarned, the purpose of Basic Military Training, is to teach you to be able to work as a "group/team", not as an "individual" and be able to follow direction.  BMQ/BMOQ and initial occupation training, is not really the time or place to make yourself "stand out" in the crowd.  Every successful applicant to the CAF arrives at Basic Training as an individual but when they leave, they have hopefully gained a sense of team work, belonging and made some life long friends.

If you are successful and do receive an offer of employment, you'll have some difficult decisions to make.   Good luck!    :salute:

PS - Here's some lite reading for you.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vol15/no1/page34-eng.asp

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5516-3.page
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 13:39:42 by DAA »
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 15:32:39 »
You're asking some pretty tough questions but I'll try my best and is probably a repeat of what Jarnhamar has already mentioned.

Sometimes the exact same information, repeated differently helps.

First off, Food Svcs (ie; Mess Hall/Kitchen) at any location aren't equipped or trained, let alone funded, to be able to provide halal or kosher meals.  So the possibility of being accommodated isn't in your favour.  It has been looked at before but the costs were just too prohibitive and so were the risks.

Okay, I understand and respect that. I will make do as I can.

As far as the beard is concerned, that just might be a choice they allow you to make for yourself.  But be forewarned, the purpose of Basic Military Training, is to teach you to be able to work as a "group/team", not as an "individual" and be able to follow direction.  BMQ/BMOQ and initial occupation training, is not really the time or place to make yourself "stand out" in the crowd.  Every successful applicant to the CAF arrives at Basic Training as an individual but when they leave, they have hopefully gained a sense of team work, belonging and made some life long friends.

If I should shave for basic, that is not a tough choice for me I just will. The Canadian forces already allows me to keep one, if it is more realistic to shave for training thats fine. There is an established need, that I have found being the gas mask training. But if I dont have to, then I likely wont, have others gone through basic training with a beard? My neck does bend, I know the CF allows me to keep a beard, but I am not so rigid that I can not adapt.

If you are successful and do receive an offer of employment, you'll have some difficult decisions to make.   Good luck!    :salute:

PS - Here's some lite reading for you.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vol15/no1/page34-eng.asp

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5516-3.page

Light reading it is, I will have to really read it. From my quick skimming the CF will make 'reasonable' allowances etc..

Any rate, should I fire an email off to the recruiter about this once I have a letter stating it's importance? Should I wait for the interview or BMQ? From what Jarnhamar and you both said, apparently I will be asked my dietary needs at bmq, but if they are not equipped then that is likely to late anyways...

Thinking out loud. The only tough choice for me would be if the CF would not let me have a beard at all and not try at all to offer me food options... but since they do. The rest is easy, it is just about how, get the allowance to have a beard, but shave for bmq and grow it later.. will i be vegetarian and missing a lot of food for a bunch of days or will halal food exist... this is just all small potatoes ;) hell they still need to be silly enough to hire me ;)

Abdullah

Ps my beard is for religious reasons, not medical. So I wonder how much that plays into it regarding bmq too. Since I dont medically 'need' a beard...  ugh, i will read the linked articles then come back to it. Thanks again guys.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 15:42:25 by AbdullahD »
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 17:13:20 »
Quote from: AbdullahD
I will not however eat food that is impermissible.
That's my beef (har har I'm on a roll today) with dietary restrictions. It's great until someone lets the section down because they're not taking in enough calories, on top of the convenience thing you mentioned. That's for another time and place though.

But it sounds like halal food will already be on site and I just need to request it, with no prior warning eh? That is awesome... these poor cooks likely need a pay raise for dealing with us picky fellows. God bless em all.

I'm not that up to snuff on the different religious food requirements and terminologies (I may have been confusing with my answer). As the sagely DAA points out the kitchens aren't trained for the hardcore stuff.  I know Muslims and others can request special meals but I think often they're just vegetarian plates without any meat. I didn't mean to imply the meat was Halal.  I think I've came across Halal ration packs but I don't remember if they're Canadian or American sorry.  I might get a steak for supper and you might get a plate of rice or pasta or veggie lasagna. 

See being a Muslim convert, eating halal and keeping a beard I fully expect to be under closer scrutiny potentially.
//
I get to eat halal food made specially for me, get extra prayer breaks etc, I should also offer to take the tough middle of the night fire watches to help team mates out and pull my own weight etc etc.
It's going to be a challenge because people can sit on army.ca and talk about how wonderful it is supporting someones religious requirements and it never bothered them but when it's cold and wet and people haven't slept and you get a steaming plate of special food or get pulled out of the suck 3x a day to pray people won't be so supportive. Chances are you'll feel even worse about it.

I will arrange for one of my friends who is an Imam and scholar to write up the note regarding a beard. I just want to avoid showing up and making things harder for staff.. cause an odd feeling that would single me out more. Hence the questions.
A little bit of effort on your part might make things at BMQ a lot easier and smoother for sure.

I am just trying to figure out my best course of action.
Duty makes all things simple  ;)

Offline Tory

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2016, 15:08:13 »
So...I'm interested in joining the army, but want to make sure I know for sure what I'm getting into. Does anyone have first hand experience? (in other words, been through BCT)
Thanks,
Tory

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 15:18:03 »
I'm interested in joining the army, but want to make sure I know for sure what I'm getting into.

Milnet.ca
Army
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/board,117.0.html

Forces.ca
Life in the Army
If you enjoy helping those in need, in times of conflict or natural disasters, in Canada or around the world, a career in the Army may be for you. At home in Canada, and on deployments overseas, you will defend our country’s sovereignty and values with the highest standards of military excellence. Regular or Reserve Force, a career in the Canadian Army is a unique mix of service and skill, camaraderie and commitment, action and adventure.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/lifeintheforces-75

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 15:25:09 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Online Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2016, 17:01:33 »
"BCT"?

Welcome to Army.ca, Tory.

mariomike kindly provided you with a couple of links to get you started. Explore them, and then branch out into some of the other fora on this Site. The stickied threads at the top of each forum and sub-forum are generally good places to start.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 17:11:54 by mariomike »

Offline TheMattHan

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 17:14:49 »
It's American I think "Basic Combat Training" of I remember correctly.
"All right I got the QM open.....pitch forks are ready but....
make sure you clean all the blood off before you turn them in, not like last time." - NFLD sapper

Online Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 17:55:35 »
I am familiar with the US term "Brigade Combat Team", but had not seen the Canadian term "Basic Classification Training" before.

Offline Komal

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2017, 14:01:05 »
Hi! I have also applied for Engineer Officer but through the ROTP program, I am now thinking of accepting my offer, but I just wanted to ask about the engineer officer lifestyle and how often you guys get deployed? I don't want to sign up for a career where i'll never be at home...   :)

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 14:18:18 »
I just wanted to ask about the engineer officer lifestyle and how often you guys get deployed?

On being an Engineer (officer)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=33020.25
2 pages.

Engineering Officer training/career questions 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=102989.0

Tuna's questions about a career as an Engineer (Officer)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=101268.0

I don't want to sign up for a career where i'll never be at home...   :)

How long do I need to be away from home in regular force?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=91732.0

All things joining the military (but not wanting to deploy) - merged 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,89177.0/nowap.html
4 pages.

Away from home
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+engineer+officer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=C1kTWYegLcGC8Qft343gCQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+%22away+from+home%22&spf=1494440921675

Deployments
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+engineer+officer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=C1kTWYegLcGC8Qft343gCQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+deployment&spf=1494440921672

etc...

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 14:32:47 by mariomike »

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2017, 14:55:36 »
. . .  I don't want to sign up for a career where i'll never be at home...

This, an not uncommon train of thought for contemporary ROTP applicants, I find to be somewhat odd for anyone starting as an officer in the CF.  While you will, if you accept the ROTP offer, be in uniform for several years, it is not a period of servitude.  Look at it in the same way as any other young person who has decided on an educational path because that is what it is at this stage of your life.  For the next four years you will be in university.  You're not going anywhere, other than attending occupational related training in the summer.  Okay, you may be attending a school where you will have to dress the same as every other student, but the country pays you to wear the funny looking student clothes.  You don't have to worry about finding summer employment or student loans.  When you finish your degree you have a guaranteed job that will (especially as an engineer) be directly related to your degree (that first job is important to padding the resume).  You'll probably have one or two other distinctively different and progressively more responsible jobs in the short (5 years?) time that is payback for your education.  Again great for the resume.  By the time one has discharged his service obligation, the typical ROTP type will be 26 or 27 years old.  At that age, nobody is so established in a "career" that they can't easily move into a different direction.

Now, if your thought is that you want to have all the benefits of a subsidized education but don't want to deploy so are looking for an occupation that stays at home, then find someone else to pay for your schooling.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Mahir0901

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2017, 15:25:24 »
How many infantry soldiers get accepted to the CAF every year?

Offline Infant_Tree

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 22:22:07 »
Are you going in as NCM or Officer?
Recruiting center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Application Date: January 12, 2017
First contact: January 12, 2017
CFAT: February 8, 2017
Medical: March 2, 2017
Interview: March 7, 2017
Merit listed: Sometime between April 11 and April 27, 2017
Position Offer: May 30, 2017
Enrollment: August 23, 2017
BMQ: September 2, 2017

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 00:19:51 »

All of them.
+900
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Mahir0901

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 06:46:39 »
I'm going as an NCM

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2017, 11:30:55 »

All of them.

BAHAHAHAHA ... love it Kat Stevens!!

On a serious note, there is no exact number of Infantry that the CAF recruits on a yearly basis.  The number changes year to year; sometimes it's because the Government increases the size of the military - other times it's due to individuals who are in the trade either changing to another trade or retiring from the CAF.

Offline Louis_Army

• Rate Post
Is Joining the Army worth it for me?
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2017, 22:26:29 »
I've been considering joining the army for a long time and I would like to know what my best options are.

I currently live in Montreal with no significant work experience, activities, and no University degree. Completed my C-GEP in Sciences years ago.
I recently started training my body since I wasn't exactly in shape (never been fat or even skinny fat tho) but I'm kinda physically clumsy by design.

It recently came to my understanding that there was a possibility of being an intelligence operator. I'm drawn to it because I have a good verbal intelligence, analytical skills, fascinated by world events, about geography, history and other languages. I'm bilingual.
But what are the chances to get hired there considering my predicament?

And aside from that orientation, is there something for me in the army?

Offline shane306

• Rate Post
Re: Is Joining the Army worth it for me?
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2017, 22:40:19 »
First of all the process is not a quick yes or no thing. You shouldnt even worry about chances, you have nothing to lose by applying, just apply and see what happens and if 6 months down the road you happen to get an offer you can always turn it down if you decide you no longer want it. Theres nothing inherently wrong with your predicament, many NCMs dont have university degrees or work experience when they apply, there are many factors taken into account for applicants including stuff still directly in your control: your CFAT test and your interview.

The chance of failure or not being accepted is not a good enough reason to not even attempt it.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2017, 22:44:29 »
It recently came to my understanding that there was a possibility of being an intelligence operator. I'm drawn to it because I have a good verbal intelligence, analytical skills, fascinated by world events, about geography, history and other languages. I'm bilingual.
But what are the chances to get hired there considering my predicament?

In case you have read it already, you may find this discussion of interest,

"I want to be Int" Mega-thread 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12858.200
16 pages.

Offline Louis_Army

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2017, 22:48:30 »
Yes that's the thread that convinced me to make this one.

Aside from intelligence operators, which in my understanding is hard to get into, what other paths would be available, and what are the promotions/career advancement down the line for someone starting 'low'?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2017, 22:55:07 »
Aside from intelligence operators, which in my understanding is hard to get into, what other paths would be available, and what are the promotions/career advancement down the line for someone starting 'low'?

Career Options
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.