Author Topic: 100th Anniverary of Gallipoli Landing - 25 Apr 2015  (Read 3676 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
100th Anniverary of Gallipoli Landing - 25 Apr 2015
« on: April 17, 2015, 19:31:38 »
The Dawn Service to mark the 100th anniversary of the Anzac landings at Gallipoli will start at 5.30am in Turkey, which is 12.30pm AEST - after Dawn Services have taken place across Australia.

ABC is the host TV broadcaster and will be providing vision to all Australian networks.

The Dawn Service will be watched not only by hundreds of thousands of viewers in Australia and New Zealand but also a huge Turkish audience, who will served by local journalists.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/massive-media-operation-for-gallipoli/story-e6frfku9-1227306755887

And below, "The Catch Up" courtesy of Warrick Eady Photography in Sydney who did a few shots at the close of OP SLIPPER.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
Re: 100th Anniverary of Gallipoli Landing - 25 Apr 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 12:49:25 »
Perfect time to go to the Press with the stink about Kiwis not being able to join the Australian forces. Fuzzy connection, but it would get attention to the problem.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 14:23:13 »
Is anything being done in Newfoundland to recognize the R NFLD R participation at Gallipoli?

Offline OTR1

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 16:51:00 »
I can attest that the Canadian govt sends its ambassador to Ankara to the annual commemorations at Gallipoli to honour the Newfoundlanders.

Was present for the 1998 event, and vividly recall the involvement of all associated countries and forces, including a very senior Ghurka, no less.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 18:01:40 »
Is anything being done in Newfoundland to recognize the R NFLD R participation at Gallipoli?

I was listening to CBC Radio and they mentioned that Canadian officials will be on hand to represent the 40 members of the RNR who died at Gallipoli. And that there will be a special ceremony on, I believe Sunday, where the Canadian officials will lay a wreath in memory of the Newfounderlanders who served* and died at Gallipoli. 

According to CBC Radio approximately 1,000 members of the RNR fought at Gallipoli.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 08:51:47 »

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 13:39:38 »

In NF, there's a ref in this week's Speech from the Throne (SFT) about something coming up in September (interesting that this was the opening paragraph of the SFT):
One hundred years ago, marching proudly in their blue puttees toward ships that would ferry them to war-torn Europe, young Newfoundlanders and Labradorians could not imagine what awaited them or what would be asked of them. A century later, we honour the far too many whose young lives were cut brutally short and the many more whose bodies and memories were scarred by what they endured. Through the “Honour 100 - First World War Commemorations”, we are telling the story of our men and women who served in the Royal Naval Reserve, Newfoundland Regiment, Newfoundland Forestry Corps and Volunteer Aid Detachment as well as those who supported the war effort at home. We will soon mark the centennial of the Regiment’s landing at Gallipoli, Turkey, on September 19. The Honour 100 initiative will include opportunities for our students and veterans to participate in the annual Trail of the Caribou pilgrimage with the Royal Canadian Legion. This year, a new Ambassador Program will provide opportunities for more youth to commemorate Newfoundland and Labrador’s role in the First World War by visiting the memorials at Beaumont-Hamel and other solemn sites where the remains of our loved ones rest. Like others before them, they will return with fresh perspectives and stories that all of us need to hear – stories to remind us of the unbearable sadness of war and the debt we owe to those who served. As students throughout our province hear those stories, they will also benefit from curriculum enhancements that tell about the people whose sacrifices we honour ....

This from the federal Info-machine on the "away team":
The Honourable Lynne Yelich, Minister of State (Foreign Affairs and Consular) and a delegation of members of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment are in Gallipoli today (Friday 24 Apr 2015) to mark the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli Campaign. The delegation is participating in ceremonies to honour those who lost their lives on the Gallipoli Peninsula during the First World War, including those who served with the Newfoundland Regiment.

As part of the commemoration of the Gallipoli centenary, the delegation attended a wreath-laying ceremony at the French Military Cemetery in Seddülbahir, witnessed the signing of the Book of Commemoration in a Turkish International Service at the Mehmetcik Monument in Abide, and participated in the Commonwealth and Ireland Service in Hellespont—one of five sites dedicated to commemorating those Commonwealth servicemen who died with no known grave.

On ANZAC Day, April 25, the delegation marked the landing of Allied Forces at Gallipoli by attending the Dawn Service, conducted at the ANZAC Commemorative Site in ANZAC Cove, and the Australian Memorial Service, held at Lone Pine.

While in Turkey, Minister of State Yelich also attended a peace summit hosted by the Government of Turkey ....

More info on the R Nfld R's participation in Gallipoli during WW1 here (from VAC) and here (from the Province of NF).
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 21:08:22 »
In NF, there's a ref in this week's Speech from the Throne (SFT) about something coming up in September (interesting that this was the opening paragraph of the SFT):
.... We will soon mark the centennial of the Regiment’s landing at Gallipoli, Turkey, on September 19 ....
This from the federal info-machine:
Veterans Affairs Canada issued the following statement to mark the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the Newfoundland Regiment in Gallipoli:

On September 20, 1915, more than 1,000 Newfoundlanders landed on the Gallipoli Peninsula. There, in the trenches, under harsh conditions and deadly enemy fire, was their first experience with war.

The Newfoundland Regiment was the only North American unit to take part in the Gallipoli Campaign in the First World War, fighting alongside Allied soldiers from Britain, France, Australia and New Zealand. The ‘blue puttees,’ as the Newfoundlanders had been nicknamed, went on to distinguish themselves throughout the war effort.

When the decision was made that all Allied forces would be withdrawn from the area, the young Newfoundland Regiment was an integral part of the rearguard, covering the dangerous evacuation of the troops.

The Gallipoli Campaign would be the first of many battles in which the Newfoundland Regiment gained its enduring reputation for bravery, earning it the title “Royal” in 1917.

By the end of the First World War, more than 6,200 men had served in the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. More than 1,300 of those valiant men would ultimately give their lives in the cause of peace and freedom.

Canadians are forever grateful for the selfless deeds of our nation’s brave men and women in uniform. During the First World War, our close neighbours in Newfoundland proved themselves to be unwavering in the pursuit of freedom. Now, as part of our proud nation, we celebrate their remarkable achievements and, together, mourn their great sacrifices ....

More info on the R Nfld R's participation in Gallipoli during WW1 here (from VAC) and here (from the Province of NF).

:salute:
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter