Author Topic: Ontario Politics 2016  (Read 17342 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Ontario Politics 2016
« on: January 13, 2016, 18:47:02 »
Starting a broader, more general political thread than this one (saved for specific "incidents meriting wrath" dealing with specific individuals).

Let's kick this one off, then, with word of a by-election in a previously-Team Blue seat:
Premier Kathleen Wynne says she will ask the lieutenant-governor to call a byelection in the riding of Whitby-Oshawa for Feb. 11.

The seat has been vacant since August, when Progressive Conservative Christine Elliott resigned months after losing the race for party leader to Patrick Brown.

The date of Feb. 11 is just days before the legislature resumes following its winter break.

All three parties have nominated their candidates in Whitby-Oshawa: Niki Lundquist, a labour lawyer, will carry the NDP banner, regional councillor Lorne Coe is the PC candidate, while regional councillor Elizabeth Roy is running for the Liberals.

Though the byelection has not yet been formally called, the Liberals have already been running radio ads featuring Wynne promoting their candidate ...
Let the bashing begin! ;D
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: Ontario Politics 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:21:18 »
Holy crap - how bad do things have to get for the BOSS to say "no more"?
In a surprise move, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne announced Tuesday that she is cancelling all of her upcoming private fundraising events and is instructing members of her cabinet to do the same.

Wynne made the announcement in question period Tuesday in response to a query about Liberal party fundraising from PC Leader Patrick Brown.

"I think we have to lead by example and that's why I've made the decision to immediately cancel upcoming private fundraisers that I attend," said Wynne. "I've also asked the same of my ministers. I think it's important that we get this right."

The news comes a week after the Liberals held their biggest fundraiser of the year, raising $2.5 million in one night.

Wynne's announcement also marked a change in her position on fundraising.

At a March 7 press conference, the premier said that "money to run a party has to come from somewhere.

"Every party does low-end fundraising and every party does high-end fundraising," she said. "I think it's part of the democratic process."

But she admitted that changes to how parties raise funds are needed.

"Are they the right rules? Do we need to change who can give what? Absolutely!" she said. "I think we need to look at that."

Her party has been criticized recently for their fundraising tactics, specifically over fundraising quotas for cabinet ministers ...
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 19:12:15 »
The first thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the good Premier is about to legislate the expansion of permissive use of public funding for party purposes. You know, like a lot of other places once did ....

Offline Bird_Gunner45

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 20:06:30 »
Holy crap - how bad do things have to get for the BOSS to say "no more"?

Nothing says responsible leadership like "leading by example" once you've been caught. It's like her photo op with the "black lives matter" protesters the other day... it was so fortuitous that there just happened to be a camera right there to capture the moment! She's taking a page from the PM it appears and "going to the people" (as long as the people agree with her)

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 22:20:51 »
Conclusion: they already have enough money.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Omnia praesidia vestra capta sunt nobis.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

"But injustice is a rule of the service, as you know very well; and since you have to have a good deal of undeserved abuse, you might just as well have it from your friends."  - The Ionian Mission, by Patrick O'Brian.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 14:43:53 »

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/buried-report-reveals-corporate-giants-gained-the-most-in-ontario-business-supports

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/which-companies-and-unions-donated-big-bucks-to-major-ont-parties-search-our-databases

Quick scan of the above is interesting.

Unions contribute to the Liberals and the NDP.  Businesses contribute to the Liberals and the Conservatives.  Businesses often bet on both horses.  That doesn't particularly bother me - especially given the size of the donations.

But, is it just me, or does it feel wrong, that both the Ontario Provincial Police Association, and The Law Society of Upper Canada both contributed to the Liberal Party and just the Liberal Party?

Shouldn't both the lawyers (and judges) and the coppers be barred from any involvement in politics?  We rely on their neutrality for our system to work effectively.  It doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies to think that the Coppers and the Courts find advantage with one political party.
Over, Under, Around or Through.
Anticipating the triumph of Thomas Reid.

"One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”  - James Lovelock

Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others. [Ambrose Bierce, 1911]

Online PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 14:50:00 »

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/buried-report-reveals-corporate-giants-gained-the-most-in-ontario-business-supports

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/which-companies-and-unions-donated-big-bucks-to-major-ont-parties-search-our-databases

Quick scan of the above is interesting.

Unions contribute to the Liberals and the NDP.  Businesses contribute to the Liberals and the Conservatives.  Businesses often bet on both horses.  That doesn't particularly bother me - especially given the size of the donations.

But, is it just me, or does it feel wrong, that both the Ontario Provincial Police Association, and The Law Society of Upper Canada both contributed to the Liberal Party and just the Liberal Party?

Shouldn't both the lawyers (and judges) and the coppers be barred from any involvement in politics?  We rely on their neutrality for our system to work effectively.  It doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies to think that the Coppers and the Courts find advantage with one political party.

Police and Corrections unions in Ontario were actively campaigning for the Liberals in the last election. It is completely unethical for any public service union, or member to campaign for any political party in an official capacity. Private individuals is democracy, the unions buying votes is corruption.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 12:30:47 »
Police and Corrections unions in Ontario were actively campaigning for the Liberals in the last election. It is completely unethical for any public service union, or member to campaign for any political party in an official capacity. Private individuals is democracy, the unions buying votes is corruption.

This why i hate seeing my money that goes into a union being used for this kind of stuff without my consent.
Optio

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 22:45:39 »
I have no idea why the LSUC is paying any money to any political party. They are a governing body with discipline and enforcement responsibilities, and are supposed to be non-political with the whole idea being that they have a mandate to protect public trust in the profession  .... oh wait, never mind....

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 12:37:34 »
In other news, Ontario is looking at banning natural gas for heating...yes, this is actually a thing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-climate-change-1.3584402

Optio

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 13:12:28 »
In other news, Ontario is looking at banning natural gas for heating...yes, this is actually a thing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-climate-change-1.3584402

Prime example of the "Lunatics running the Asylum".
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 13:28:42 »
It won't kick in until 2030, so if the opposition can get itself together, there might be an opportunity to stop this nonsense.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 13:53:42 »
I wonder if they ever heard the story about the goose and the gander?

Ontario, through Hydro-One, just spend god knows how many hundreds of millions to move away from coal and some nuclear over to, guess what: natural gas. !!!!!

Besides, natural gas for home heating is close to being the least polluting fuel. Sure, electricity pollutes less, but you have to generate it somehow. Right now, the percentage of Ontario home electrically heated is so low that for everyone to switch to it would require a very large amount of extra electrical generation capacity: How's that going to be generated?

And wood and oil are much more polluting than natural gas.

In fact, the only efficient "renewable" source of heating (and cooling) for a country like Canada is geothermal. But that is incredibly expansive to retro-fit into a house already built and heated by other means.

Offline cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 14:17:19 »
I wonder if they ever heard the story about the goose and the gander?

Ontario, through Hydro-One, just spend god knows how many hundreds of millions to move away from coal and some nuclear over to, guess what: natural gas. !!!!!

Besides, natural gas for home heating is close to being the least polluting fuel. Sure, electricity pollutes less, but you have to generate it somehow. Right now, the percentage of Ontario home electrically heated is so low that for everyone to switch to it would require a very large amount of extra electrical generation capacity: How's that going to be generated?

And wood and oil are much more polluting than natural gas.

In fact, the only efficient "renewable" source of heating (and cooling) for a country like Canada is geothermal. But that is incredibly expansive to retro-fit into a house already built and heated by other means.
Thus always the incoherence of Kathleen Wynne and her predecessor Dalton McGuinty.  The only people dumber than those two and their cabinets are the Ontarians who keep voting the provincial liberals into office.  I wish I could just sit back and watch Ontario suffer under the continued stupidity, but sadly I happen to live in Wynne's demented wonderland.

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 16:31:05 »
geothermal is also totally impractical in an urban setting unless they also maintain larger i.e. greater than half acre lots or install vertical exchange coils which is a very expensive proposition.  Fellow Ontarians, bend over!

Online PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 16:39:27 »
The current Prime Minister's chief advisors were the chiefs of staff for Wynne. If you think this will only be isolated to Ontario.... the Climate Gestapo could be a federal agency soon.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 19:46:05 »
>In other news, Ontario is looking at banning natural gas for heating...yes, this is actually a thing.

I am hoping they pursue that aim enthusiastically.  I expect the result to be a horrible warning, and we need more horrible warnings, preferably at the expense of people in provinces other than my own.

"But injustice is a rule of the service, as you know very well; and since you have to have a good deal of undeserved abuse, you might just as well have it from your friends."  - The Ionian Mission, by Patrick O'Brian.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 21:37:48 »
>In other news, Ontario is looking at banning natural gas for heating...yes, this is actually a thing.

I am hoping they pursue that aim enthusiastically.  I expect the result to be a horrible warning, and we need more horrible warnings, preferably at the expense of people in provinces other than my own.

This plan also includes more electric cars.  A whole lot more.  It will likely have an adverse effect on the oil industry in this country.
Optio

Online PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 21:51:58 »
This plan also includes more electric cars.  A whole lot more.  It will likely have an adverse effect on the oil industry in this country.

More likely in other countries. We import a LOT of oil that could be produced domestically. 650,000 barrels a day.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 06:44:29 »
Thus always the incoherence of Kathleen Wynne and her predecessor Dalton McGuinty.  The only people dumber than those two and their cabinets are the Ontarians who keep voting the provincial liberals into office.  I wish I could just sit back and watch Ontario suffer under the continued stupidity, but sadly I happen to live in Wynne's demented wonderland.

Well, you might argue that the only people dumber than those two are the Conservatives who kept on selecting unelectable leaders ...

It wasn't that any of them were bad politicians, nor stupid and certainly not dishonest ... the problem was that the PC party of Ontario did not have (still does not have?) a vision that resonates with about half of Ontarians. All three leaders were divisive in their own rights and none could "connect," well enough, with most, mainstream, urban and suburban Ontarians. The Liberals simply out-campaigned (out-promised) and out-politiced the PCs. They, the Liberals, deserved to win back-to-back-to-back majorities because they understood and campaigned on what Ontario, writ large, wanted rather than on what one sector (rural and small town, conservative Ontario) thought Ontario needed.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline ueo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 12:06:27 »
I have to disagree! The one sector is and will remain the TO and its immediate environs. Apparent to all.
Take the tone of the company you are with. Lord Chesterfield

Offline suffolkowner

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 14:44:27 »

Well, you might argue that the only people dumber than those two are the Conservatives who kept on selecting unelectable leaders ...

It wasn't that any of them were bad politicians, nor stupid and certainly not dishonest ... the problem was that the PC party of Ontario did not have (still does not have?) a vision that resonates with about half of Ontarians. All three leaders were divisive in their own rights and none could "connect," well enough, with most, mainstream, urban and suburban Ontarians. The Liberals simply out-campaigned (out-promised) and out-politiced the PCs. They, the Liberals, deserved to win back-to-back-to-back majorities because they understood and campaigned on what Ontario, writ large, wanted rather than on what one sector (rural and small town, conservative Ontario) thought Ontario needed.

ERC I have to agree as the PC's never presented a good alternative to the Liberals for the non partisans. Campaigning on religious schools and cutting jobs were poor decisions in my opinion. Likely the voters will be in the mood for a change and as long as the PC's don't screw it up. Patrick Brown is an interesting choice as he has shown an ability to attract support whether it can be extrapolating to the whole province we will see.

I can't see how we can get off natural gas/propane for heating especially with the poor build quality of housing so that seems like a pipe dream

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 15:00:11 »
Re Natural Gas.

Wasn't the electrification of Ontario tried once already?  I seem to remember when we came over here from Britain in the 60's that Ontario was building electric houses with no basements, hydro dams and nuclear plants.

And yet, here they are 50 years later and 70% of homes are heated by gas.

50 years, 2 generations, I guess that is long enough to forget.  Somebody might have to read a book or something.

"One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”  - James Lovelock

Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others. [Ambrose Bierce, 1911]

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 15:12:18 »
We had a whole subdivision here that was built totally electric. No gas service. It was all right until McSquinty took over and hydro bills started rising. Now there's lots of wood stoves and fireplaces. People can't afford $1000+/ month hydro bills and no one will buy the houses, nor will the province help upgrade them.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 15:22:12 »
Isn't that the point? They've dug themselves in an electricity sinkhole and now they want your money to get them out. Whether you want to or not.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 13:23:50 »
May 20, 2016

Raymond Cho and Doug Ford team up in Scarborough to take on provincial Liberals
Councillor seeks to represent Progressive Conservatives in Scarborough-Rouge River riding
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/6564507-raymond-cho-and-doug-ford-team-up-in-scarborough-to-take-on-provincial-liberals/
And former Etobicoke councillor Doug Ford – rumoured to be interested in running there for the PCs himself – wants to be Cho’s campaign manager.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 12:34:28 »
MORE DOLLARS WASTED and for what?

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Audit reveals Pan Am Games were $342M over budget, but Ontario still paid $5M in performance bonuses
The Canadian Press
Wednesday, Jun. 8, 2016

TORONTO — Ontario’s auditor general says last summer’s Pan Am and Parapan Am Games in Toronto came in $342 million over budget, but the province still paid more than $5 million in performance bonuses.

Officials had said spending for the Games was within the $2.4-billion budget, but Bonnie Lysyk’s audit found that the total cost was about $2.5 billion.

She says when compared to the adjusted bid budget of about $2.2 billion, the Games were actually $342 million over budget, and since Ontario committed to paying most of the cost overruns, the province was on the hook for an extra $304 million.

The TO2015 organizing committee had agreed to pay $5.3 million to 53 senior employees if they stayed until the end of their contracts and the net operating and capital budgets were met.

Lysyk says that the full bonuses were paid, even though organizers asked the province for — and received — a $74-million increase in the net operating budget, and were responsible for managing less than two per cent of the capital budget.

The auditor general says “nonetheless,” Ontarians can take pride in the Games as they were on time, with no major incidents and Canada had its best-ever medal counts.

More on LINK
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:38:09 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 23:10:06 »
MORE DOLLARS WASTED and for what.......AGAIN?

Kevin O'Leary sends another open letter to Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne
KEVIN O'LEARY, SPECIAL TO POSTMEDIA NETWORK
Aug 28, 2016, Last Updated: 3:29 PM ET

Hi Premier Wynne,

I’m worried.

I asked you to keep me informed about the $1.9 billion you are extracting out of the Ontario economy in new carbon taxes. I was excited when you promised lots of new jobs and reductions in carbon emissions. Then I saw the July jobs report. Wow, 36,100 Ontario jobs lost in a single month, the worst decline since the recession, and you still haven’t told me any good news about carbon emission reductions. I guess your new plan is not working.

Maybe it would have been better to leave that $1.9 billion in the hands of the Ontario businesses that were using it to hire employees before you taxed it away from them.

However, I hear it’s not all bad news on the Ontario job front. While the private sector is losing jobs by the tens of thousands under your new tax policies, you have been busy creating some really interesting opportunities for your staff. I don’t know how I missed this, but apparently you lost $70 million setting up and then cancelling the Ontario Retirement Pension Plan (ORPP) in June. While in operation only six months, you hired some really special people that walked away with millions of taxpayers’ dollars for apparently doing nothing. It sounds so ridiculous that I am assuming I must have it wrong, and that’s why I’m putting pen to paper.

So here goes, true or false?

•Did you spend $8 million marketing the ORPP even though it didn’t exist? That sounds so crazy it can’t be true.

•Did you give Neala Barton, the plan’s senior vice-president of communications, $316,819? She started in March. Just exactly what was she communicating for 90 days?

•Did you pay Anne Slivinskas — the pension plan’s general counsel — $341,418 for working there just three weeks? That’s $2,845.15/hr. You don’t fool around with taxpayers’ money; You hire the best lawyers!

•Did you pay a tech guy named Brian Gill — the pensions plan’s CTO — $414,050 to work for two months! (Note to self: Send Premier Wynne my comp committee’s North American average salary report. Her laptop must have been hacked.)

•Jennifer Brown — your choice for senior vice-president of the plan’s operations — was a lifer. She started March 21 and lasted until the end of June. So, with that kind of long-term commitment, no one should complain about the $445,019 you gave her.

•Did you really pay ORPP CEO Mary Anne Palangio $465,938 for 90 days’ work? Who says you can’t get a great job in Ontario.

•This one is my favourite, it’s so out there! Did you give $485,000 to Saad Rafi when his job running the Pan Am Games ended and then hire him again to run the ORPP even though he has never had an investment mandate before? And then did you pay him an additional $827,925 to walk away a few months later? If this is true, I bet some taxpayers are unhappy about it.

Maybe it would help if you spin this as an inspirational story. You search the province for a seasoned financial money manager to be the fiduciary of the new ORRP but in the last minute hire someone who has fallen on hard times and is out of work, even though they never managed money before. It’s so Rocky-esque!

Rafi could have been great as a pension plan manager but we will never know. Giving him the $827Gs for taking this bold new step in his career is the least we taxpayers can do. After all, it’s hard to live off a measly $485,000 severance when taxes are so high in Ontario, but I know you are not spending any time worrying about that.

These must be very special people! No one in the private sector could ever get a deal like this: Thank goodness they know you. Some Ontarians might see this and assume you don’t give a damn about their hard-earned money. Is that true? Frankly, if I gave away $2.8 million to employees that did nothing in my businesses, I would go bankrupt. Come to think of it, your government has a long history of starting projects, spending millions and then cancelling them — you know, like gas plants, “green” projects and now pension plans. That’s why Ontario is $308 billion in debt, so you are kind of bankrupting us, in your own special way.

Still I get it, perhaps from your point of view, why should anybody give a damn about the $70 million you just wasted, it’s just a rounding error.

Well, maybe the voters do. Have you seen the latest polls? Perhaps at this point in your mandate you may want to think about delivering a little more transparency and performance instead of dreaming up new ways to tax people and businesses and then spending it this way.

I’m just trying to help.

Anyway, I don’t want to be negative so I hope you are having a great summer. I know the 36,100 people in Ontario who just lost their jobs in July are feeling a little down but I’m sure they will go from sad to glad when you tell them about all the carbon emissions you have reduced. Best you get that good news out soon. In the meantime, next time you are paying people on your staff to do nothing for $827,000, maybe you could show a little compassion and hire one of your 36,100 constituents who just lost their job.

There will be an election soon and when that’s over and you start your new career, I’m going to bet it won’t be one where you manage money.

Yours respectfully,

Kevin O’Leary

Ontario taxpayer, voter and your employer, for now.

More on LINK.

Online GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 00:24:49 »
crap, you guys have my sympathies.....the NDP here in Manitoba did some wacky things like pay out a billion to Onitracs up in Churchill, but I don't think they can top Wynne..................and you guys keep voting them in. What's up with that?
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Online PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 07:22:35 »
Ask Toronto and the teachers/OPP/OPSEU unions. I think even they may change their tune this time around.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 10:46:59 »
I just came back from a week in Ontario. Man are people pissed at their electrical bills and the way the Wayne government is foisting these windmill farms on areas that did not vote for them. And the gas plant fiasco? Wow, what a colossal FUBAR that was.

Remember, quite a few of the Wayne advisers are now advising the Trudeau government.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 11:25:12 »

Remember, quite a few of the Wayne advisers are now advising the Trudeau government.

And that is a "DOUBLE WHAMMY" for the people of Ontario.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 14:07:24 »
And that is a "DOUBLE WHAMMY" for the people of Ontario.

Combined Power and Water bill for March-April: $230
Combined Power and Water bill for May-June: $330
Combined Power and Water bill for July-August:...$550

But this is me in my house  :cold:...
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Online Bruce Monkhouse

is thinking beach volleyball.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 16:17:54 »
Ask Toronto and the teachers/OPP/OPSEU unions. I think even they may change their tune this time around.

Don't put OPSEU in there......we were 'anyone but".    Smokey even called her a 'liar' just days before the election.....
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 16:45:05 »
Ask Toronto and the teachers/OPP/OPSEU unions.

The OPFFA did not endorse Mr. Hudak.

Ontario Professional Fire Fighters Association

May 9, 2014

OPFFA says Tim Hudak is putting public safety at risk
http://opffa.org/items/Press%20Release%20--%20Response%20to%20Hudak%20100%20000%20job%20cut%20announcement.pdf
BURLINGTON – The Ontario Professional Fire Fighters Association came out against Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak’s plan to cut 100,000 jobs from the public sector.

The union that represents firefighters backs the Liberals
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/06/10/collision_between_union_rights_and_journalistic_independence_tim_harper.html

“You’re the police officer, the firefighter and the paramedic who look into our frightened eyes and calmly tell us that we’ll be OK,” Wynne said while in North York. “Every day, you keep our communities safe and secure.”
http://www.thesudburystar.com/2014/06/02/hudak-and-wynne-duel-over-job-cuts

I'm retired, but I don't believe Mr. Hudak received a lot of support from the Police, Fire and Paramedic unions.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 17:18:11 by mariomike »

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 17:22:19 »
Bucket Boys  :facepalm:
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 21:32:34 »

That is outrageous.  In Alberta I paid $206.xx for water, power, gas, and utilities this month.  Big house huge garden ac on most of the time.  When is the next Ontario election again????

Offline Loachman

• Army Pilot in Drag
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 23:12:12 »
An eternity...

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2016, 00:00:04 »

That's insane.

My first hydro one bill was $230

It's almost twice as expensive as NS. The weird part is my power usage was actually less than $100. It was the taxes compounding that were over half the bill.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."
Attributed to, and denied by, Winston Churchill

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 09:38:08 »
That's insane.

......... The weird part is my power usage was actually less than $100. It was the taxes compounding that were over half the bill.

People have over $400 bills for ZERO usage, due to Delivery Charges, Paying down the Ontario Hydro Debt Charges, and the numerous Taxes on Hydro.  It really is insane......and then you look at the wages and bonus' paid to the top bureaucrats in Ontario Hydro and you really see how insane it is.

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 09:39:27 »
Ridiculous.... and to think I asked for this posting.... That'll teach me.

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2016, 10:04:39 »
Baby steps, but "Change may be in the wind":

PC candidate Raymond Cho wins Scarborough-Rouge River byelection
'With tonight's victory, this first step, the great leader Patrick Brown will become premier of Ontario': Cho
CBC News Posted: Sep 01, 2016 6:13 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 01, 2016 11:45 PM ET

Progressive Conservative candidate Raymond Cho has won the Scarborough-Rouge River provincial byelection, held to replace former Liberal MPP Bas Balkissoon.

With all 234 polls reporting, Cho won the seat by 2,429 votes.

Eleven candidates ran in the Toronto riding, which has been a Liberal stronghold since its creation in 1999. They included Piragal Thiru for the Liberal Party and Neethan Shan for the NDP.

Following the win, PC party senior advisor Babu Nagalingam joked, "We will now be called Scarborough-Blue River," pointing to the signature blue colour of the party.

"Tonight there is a blue wave that has crossed the Rouge River in Raymond Cho," PC leader Patrick Brown said. "Tonight we made history. Thanks to your hard work we won a riding that has been a Liberal-held riding since it was created 20 years ago."

"This is only the beginning," Cho said, jubilant over the win. "With tonight's victory, this first step, the great leader Patrick Brown will become premier of Ontario [in] 2018."

'Of course we're disappointed'

Liberal Party candidate Piragal Thiru, who came second with about 30 per cent of the vote, was met with cheers and applause by loyal supporters.

In a statement shortly after the outcome was announced, Premier Kathleen Wynne said, "The result in Scarborough-Rouge River is disappointing and gives me cause for reflection. The good people of that riding have elected Liberals for many years. I'll be talking with our Scarborough members in the coming days, as well as our outstanding candidate Pirigal Thiru."

"Are we disappointed tonight? Of course we're disappointed. But we're resilient," Scarborough-Centre MPP Brad Duguid said.

"Byelections are a time to listen. As a party I think we've been in power for so long because we've been listening," Duguid said.

​In March, Balkissoon resigned from the seat he held since 2005, with little explanation other than to tell the Scarborough Mirror in April that he wanted to spend more time with family. Neither Wynne nor the party have spoken about the reason for his departure.

Sex-ed curriculum about-face didn't hurt PCs

Ahead of the byelection, Brown acknowledged that his changing position on the Liberal government's sex-ed curriculum could cost the party the seat but it clearly didn't hurt the PCs Thursday night.

After promising last week to get rid of controversial changes to the curriculum, which encompasses topics such as same-sex relationships, gender identity and masturbation, Brown did an about-face on the topic on Monday, calling it a "mistake" to pledge to scrap it.

Before Brown's reversal Cho maintained the issue was one that his riding was passionate about.

"When I look at my riding, the huge majority are Muslim, Catholic, Hindu, Chinese. All these parents are quite concerned about this issue," Cho said.

More on LINK.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2016, 12:05:18 »

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2016, 12:27:06 »

More on LINK.

I really, really hope so. 

But by-elections with a 28 percent turnout at this particular time of the year might not be the best indicator.  Either way I'm glad the Liberals lost that one.  At the very least they can't use a win as a validation of their agenda.
Optio

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2016, 22:22:08 »
ORPP was mainly a vehicle to create another large, deep-pocketed customer for ON's deficit-financing instruments.  (ON, not having a sovereign currency or federal bank, has to finance its deficits conventionally.  Having organizations/agencies with lots of funds available - particularly organizations with mandates to buy highly-rated debt - is critical to ON.)

CPP expansion is simply the same gambit, but the pool is expanded at the expense of all Canadians who get to enjoy the low CPP investor's rate of return.  (There is neither a current nor likely pension crisis among the middle class; all dollars being fungible, increased CPP contributions directly reduce other retirement savings, so the CPP expansion should generally be expected to lower expected retirement income.)  That is why the reform was structured to start with more contributions immediately, with increased payouts well down the road.  (Current retirees get nothing extra and soon-to-be retirees will get very little.  Only people with many years of contribution time remaining will benefit much, but their contributions of course go in immediately.)

ON, by inflicting this sh!t on everyone, is not being a very good Canadian at present.

Offline Jed

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2016, 22:26:28 »
ORPP was mainly a vehicle to create another large, deep-pocketed customer for ON's deficit-financing instruments.  (ON, not having a sovereign currency or federal bank, has to finance its deficits conventionally.  Having organizations/agencies with lots of funds available - particularly organizations with mandates to buy highly-rated debt - is critical to ON.)

CPP expansion is simply the same gambit, but the pool is expanded at the expense of all Canadians who get to enjoy the low CPP investor's rate of return.  (There is neither a current nor likely pension crisis among the middle class; all dollars being fungible, increased CPP contributions directly reduce other retirement savings, so the CPP expansion should generally be expected to lower expected retirement income.)  That is why the reform was structured to start with more contributions immediately, with increased payouts well down the road.  (Current retirees get nothing extra and soon-to-be retirees will get very little.  Only people with many years of contribution time remaining will benefit much, but their contributions of course go in immediately.)

ON, by inflicting this sh!t on everyone, is not being a very good Canadian at present.

They are doing a good job of alienating the rest of the country.
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2016, 10:21:29 »

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2016, 12:13:10 »
Except for the last point - Canadian taxpayers pay equalization, not provinces - I suppose ON can still claim to be shortchanged (I doubt most of those points have changed much in the past few years since Ibbitson's article was written).  But most of ON's problems stem from provincial policies which are hamstringing economic growth.  It may be a great thing that the province is on the bleeding edge of trying to attach real costs to some externalities, but there is no evading this fact: if a consumer must pay more to consume one thing at the same rate he will have to spend less on something else.  In effect, it roughly translates to a fall in productivity (same amount of money for less stuff).

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2016, 12:15:39 »
A lamppost could win the next election by, simply, promising to lower electrical rates. This ***** won't stop until they take the office keys away from her.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2016, 16:05:53 »

More on LINK.

Sad thing is, Raymond Cho was my councillor in Toronto/Scarborough for ever, and by far the worst representative of Voters ever.  He has tried his hardest to become an MPP and ran for all three parties.  Don't expect much from that clown!

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2016, 16:41:16 »
Sad thing is, Raymond Cho was my councillor in Toronto/Scarborough for ever, and by far the worst representative of Voters ever.  He has tried his hardest to become an MPP and ran for all three parties.  Don't expect much from that clown!

First elected as a Metro Councillor in 1991. People in the area know him. I met him a couple of times. Seemed like a nice man.  Never heard of Piragal Thiru for the Liberal Party or Neethan Shan for the NDP.

What a dream team!

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2016, 16:53:34 »
First elected as a Metro Councillor in 1991. People in the area know him. I met him a couple of times. Seemed like a nice man.  Never heard of Piragal Thiru for the Liberal Party or Neethan Shan for the NDP.

What a dream team!

Neethan Shan has ran for the NDP in the past, and a go getter. Piragal Thiru never heard of him, and is new in this area.  However, living here for 14 years I can tell you Cho was the bane of everyones existence!

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2016, 08:03:49 »

What a dream team!

Sad that the choices we are left with are what are leading us down these paths.  Seems that at all levels, the true leaders out there are not venturing into politics, leaving us with less than stellar performers. 

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2016, 10:40:13 »
However, living here for 14 years I can tell you Cho was the bane of everyones existence!

I read that only 28.14% of the eligible voters even bothered to show up. In 2014, the turnout was 47.48%.

It was interesting how when Mr. Brown introduced Mr. Cho to speak, Cho handed the mic straight to Doug. Doug said something about subways.

Globe: "Do you think Doug would be a good candidate?" Patrick Brown: "I think, um, well, Doug would be a good candidate."

Jonathan Goldsbie: "That was an A-plus awkward pause."

Asked about the first thing he'll do at Queen's Park, Cho ( age 79 ) says, "Party politics is kind of new... I have to learn a lot of things."

We may have lost Councillor Cho, but Mikey Stirpe  Ford ( our youngest Councillor ever ) will occupy his late uncle Rob's seat — as well as his office at city hall.

But, the really good news is... Ford Fest is back in town!

"We’re going to be having our Ford Fest in the next week and we’ll be announcing that.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/03/coming-soon-ford-fest

Come for your free burger. Stay for the fun!  :)

This is about Ontario politics, so I will add it here,

Sep 2, 2016

Thorncliffe Park public school to offer alternate sex-ed curriculum
http://www.680news.com/2016/09/02/thorncliffe-park-public-school-to-offer-alternate-sex-ed-curriculum/
Last year hundreds of parents pulled their children out of class at Thorncliffe Park public school because they were uncomfortable with Ontario’s new sex-education curriculum.

I included a pic  of Singin' Jimmy in case the red beret caught anyone'seen eye . He actually got 213 votes in Ward 18. 

« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 17:23:47 by mariomike »

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2016, 18:26:24 »
Who and what is that in the first picture?
-P.J. O’Rouke-

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2016, 18:39:20 »
That's Singin' Jimmy. He was a member of the Rob Ford Rangers.

That's also him in the bottom pic taking one in the kisser.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 18:44:03 by mariomike »

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2016, 18:42:07 »
Singin' Jimmy  :rofl:

OK, Mike, there has to be a story behind someone like that! Spill!! :nod:
-P.J. O’Rouke-

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2016, 18:51:32 »
After Rob dropped out of the mayoral election due to illness, Jimmy and his crew defected from Doug and Ford Nation and supported Mrs. Chow. That was a bit of a shock.

Rob's real security was handled by Jerry and Big Mike. I believe Jimmy is in his 80's.

That's Rob doing a hard hat inspection.

Also, in that pic, Jimmy was trying to protect that girl ( forget her name ) with the lei thing around her neck at a Scarborough Ford Fest. The crowd was getting pretty hostile towards her, and the guy ( forget his name too ) with the flag over his shoulders. The other guy's name is Ron. Doug also helped cool them down.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 20:14:56 by mariomike »

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2016, 10:50:06 »
http://globalnews.ca/news/2927414/wynne-to-prorogue-ontario-legislature-deliver-throne-speech-on-monday/

Wynne to prorogue Ontario legislature, deliver throne speech on Monday

TORONTO – Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is proroguing the legislature so that her government can deliver a new throne speech Monday.

A speech from the throne is an opportunity for the Liberal government to outline a new set of priorities less than two years away from the next provincial election.

Major pieces of legislation for the government’s previous priorities have already been passed, including ones to enable a cap and trade system and the partial sale of Hydro One.

All government bills are being kept active, including election finance reforms, but it’s not yet clear what will happen to private members’ bills.

More coming.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2016, 11:30:50 »
http://globalnews.ca/news/2927414/wynne-to-prorogue-ontario-legislature-deliver-throne-speech-on-monday/

Wynne to prorogue Ontario legislature, deliver throne speech on Monday

TORONTO – Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is proroguing the legislature so that her government can deliver a new throne speech Monday.

A speech from the throne is an opportunity for the Liberal government to outline a new set of priorities less than two years away from the next provincial election.

Major pieces of legislation for the government’s previous priorities have already been passed, including ones to enable a cap and trade system and the partial sale of Hydro One.

All government bills are being kept active, including election finance reforms, but it’s not yet clear what will happen to private members’ bills.

More coming.

I assume we can expect to see expressions of outrage in the media headlines?

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2016, 12:09:17 »
I assume we can expect to see expressions of outrage in the media headlines?

Why would you assume that?  No sitting days are being lost and it's not like they are abusing the system to avoid a confidence vote nor is being done for months on end.

Don't get me wrong, I despise the current Ontario government.   No, what I see here is damage control over a mess they created.  Hydro is their problem of their own creation and their mess.  I guess the last by-election has scared them enough to all of a sudden care about something they didn't give a crap about before today.  I just hope Ontarians don't fall for it.
Optio

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2016, 12:08:05 »
Received a robo-call for Ford Fest 2016. Didn't go. Patrick Brown was there. Not sure about Raymond Cho.

Joe W. had this to say on September 09, 2016,

" You know who would be perfect to run in a byelection to replace new PC MPP Raymond Cho on city council?

Doug Ford of course.

“Doug’s number scored higher in Scarborough than Cho’s,” joked a PC insider.

It would be great to have Doug run and get back on council with his nephew Michael and give Mayor Tory some tough fiscal opposition.

If Ford won Cho’s council seat in Scarborough-Rouge River (Ward 42) it would set him up for another mayoral run or to be a candidate in the next provincial election."
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/09/mayor-hec-scolded-for-speaking-out

Mikey is taking care of Ward 2.

Surprised Randy has not yet thrown his cowboy hat - which he seems to never take off - into the political ring.

From 2014,

Are the Fords Canada's Kennedys?   
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/16/are-the-fords-canadas-kennedys
"But no Trudeau is as famous as the Fords."

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 12:53:46 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2016, 14:11:54 »

Offline milnews.ca

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2016, 13:42:40 »
Further "oopsies" ...
Wynne adviser steps down after OPP charges related to Sudbury byelection

Patricia Sorbara, who was CEO and director of the 2018 Liberal campaign, and Grit activist Gerry Lougheed face Elections Act charges for alleged bribery during the Sudbury contest ...
More via Google News here.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2016, 11:03:26 »
Further "oopsies" ...More via Google News here.
Just wow...

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2016, 11:19:17 »
Wynne adviser steps down after OPP charges related to Sudbury byelection
Ah, the "Sudbury Incident"....   :nod:
I even read works I disagree with;  life outside  an ideological echo chamber.