Author Topic: Conservatives in the News  (Read 8899 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Conservatives in the News
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 04:22:40 »
And this appears to be still dragging on ...
Almost a full year after Sen. Mike Duffy was acquitted on 31 charges of fraud, bribery and breach of trust, the man who paid him $90,000 remains under investigation by the federal ethics watchdog.

Ethics commissioner Mary Dawson has revealed that she continues to examine the conduct of Nigel Wright, former prime minister Stephen Harper's one-time chief of staff.

Wright personally paid Duffy $90,000 to enable the senator to reimburse the Senate for his disputed living expense claims.

Dawson initiated an investigation into Wright's conduct in May 2013, but suspended it a month later once an RCMP investigation was begun.

New Democrat MP Charlie Angus, who had urged Dawson to investigate Wright, says the ethics watchdog recently informed him that she resumed her investigation last May after the Crown decided not to appeal Duffy's acquittal.

Her investigation is ongoing and Dawson told Angus her final report on the matter will be made public ...
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 19:13:53 »
Harper made some very poor HR choices ...
Oh yeah ...
Conservative Yukon Senator Daniel Lang and his policy adviser are facing allegations of workplace harassment, multiple senior Senate sources tell CBC News.

After a complaint about his behaviour earlier this year, an internal investigation was launched by Senate officials into the senator's treatment of a parliamentary staffer.

The Senate would not confirm the review, or identify the nature of the complaint.

"The integrity of any complaint-based human resources process is dependent on confidentiality being maintained. For this reason, the Senate does not disclose information of this nature," Senate spokesperson Jacqui Delaney said.

This is the second complaint against Lang and his policy adviser, Naresh Raghubeer. The first complainant withdrew the accusation after quietly being transferred to another job on Parliament Hill, CBC News has learned.

Senate officials privately describe the complaints as being about bullying and intimidation, including screaming and belittling in front of other senators and staff.

The sources spoke to CBC on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter with reporters and/or they feared retribution from their superiors.

Lang, appointed by former prime minister Stephen Harper in 2009, declined requests for an interview but Raghubeer provided a statement on the senator's behalf.

"I don't know where you heard this, but neither my office nor I are currently subject to any administrative review," the senator said in the statement ...
We'll see ...
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 19:46:34 »
Clearly he's guilty before the investigation is complete.

Offline milnews.ca

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 08:27:15 »
:tsktsk: ...
Canada’s former public safety minister has had his wrist slapped by the federal ethics commissioner for violating conflict of interest rules — and a democracy watchdog wants the Canadian Judicial Council to review the matter.

Vic Toews, who is now a judge in Manitoba, violated the Conflict of Interest Act twice in the months following his departure from politics in 2013 by working for two First Nations with which he had direct dealings during his time in office.

Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson released her report Friday, two years after initial complaints were made about Toews’ post-cabinet activities.

The 41-page report finds Toews was hired to do lobbying and consulting work on behalf of two First Nations in Manitoba in the months after he left office. The contracts violated two different aspects of the Conflict of Interest Act ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter