Author Topic: Australia ditching Eurocopter Tiger gunships?  (Read 2579 times)

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Australia ditching Eurocopter Tiger gunships?
« on: February 29, 2016, 09:50:50 »
Bad news for support contractors of this platform, if true.

Not sure whether to fully believe this considering the "War is Boring" site has been derided by experts on other forums who question its credibility:

War is Boring

Australia Is Giving Up on Its Tiger Gunships, Which Have Never Seen Combat
This helicopter has problems

Australia February 28, 2016 Robert Beckhusen

Australia bought its Tiger ARH attack helicopters only eight years ago, and now it wants to scrap all 22 of them. Even more embarrassing, the Tiger has still not yet achieved “final operational capability” — meaning the helicopter never fully became ready for combat.

The decision to ditch the Tiger — to occur in the 2020s — landed with a thud with the release of Australia’s 2016 defense white paper, which laid out the country’s military strategy over the coming decades. The plan includes U.S. $21.5 billion in new spending, which would pay for new submarines, frigates, patrol vessels, aircraft and drones among many other big-ticket items.

(...SNIPPED)
Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Australia ditching Eurocopter Tiger gunships?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:26:52 »
The decision to ditch the Tiger — to occur in the 2020s — landed with a thud with the release of Australia’s 2016 defense white paper, which laid out the country’s military strategy over the coming decades. The plan includes U.S. $21.5 billion in new spending, which would pay for new submarines, frigates, patrol vessels, aircraft and drones among many other big-ticket items.
Gee, defence spending realities. If you're investing heavily in capability A you may have to divest capability B, which is deemed a lesser risk demand, in order to keep spending within arcs.

Of course that doesn't qualify as "gotcha 'journalism'."

Thanks for coming out, War is Boring.   :-*

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 12:13:37 »
The AH1-Z Viper is probably a better fit for the 2 new LPH anyway. Australia is orientating to a marine corps type of expeditionary force projection model. I don't see how they can do that effectively without a gunship, and a BlackHawk with a Gatling gun is a half asses substitute.
You're right. I Never  Met A Motherfucker Quite Like You, or someone as smart as you.  Never ever will, either.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 12:21:59 »
The AH1-Z Viper is probably a better fit for the 2 new LPH anyway. Australia is orientating to a marine corps type of expeditionary force projection model. I don't see how they can do that effectively without a gunship, and a BlackHawk with a Gatling gun is a half asses substitute.

And the AH1-Z takes up half the space of an Apache.....  [:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 12:37:15 »
4.56 of the Whitepaper states the Tiger will be replaced with a new armed reconnaissance capability from the mid 2020's. So, I think the Tiger will see the decks of the Canberra class.
You're right. I Never  Met A Motherfucker Quite Like You, or someone as smart as you.  Never ever will, either.