Author Topic: APRIL FOOLS 2016: You are being targeted  (Read 8878 times)

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
APRIL FOOLS 2016: You are being targeted
« on: April 02, 2016, 16:41:51 »
Well, it's a record. Nobody noticed or event commented on this year's April Fools prank, so I'm thinking I may have made it a bit *too* subtle.

For most of the day yesterday, a nearly invisible crosshair would chase your cursor around the screen. In the early hours, if it "caught" you, it might prevent you from clicking on some links, so you had to outrun it and click quickly.

Figuring that would get old in a hurry, I changed that by early afternoon. But not because anyone complained.

I'm feeling like I've lost my touch, so fair warning: next year will have to swing too far in the other direction to compensate.  >:D

Cheers
Mike

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: APRIL FOOLS 2016: You are being targeted
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 16:43:26 »
I noticed it at one point, but since the interference never came to light, I didn't think much about it.

The colour scheme was quite subtle, though, which may have been part of the reason it didn't get much attention.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME Instr
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 16:45:47 »
Well, it's a record. Nobody noticed or event commented on this year's April Fools prank, so I'm thinking I may have made it a bit *too* subtle.

For most of the day yesterday, a nearly invisible crosshair would chase your cursor around the screen. In the early hours, if it "caught" you, it might prevent you from clicking on some links, so you had to outrun it and click quickly.

Figuring that would get old in a hurry, I changed that by early afternoon. But not because anyone complained.

I'm feeling like I've lost my touch, so fair warning: next year will have to swing too far in the other direction to compensate.  >:D

Cheers
Mike

Never notice it Mike....but I do notice most of the headers on the site hard to read on Chrome Version 49.0.2623.110 m/ Windows 10 Version 1511 OS BUILD 10586.164
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 16:53:19 »
Never notice it Mike....but I do notice most of the headers on the site hard to read on Chrome Version 49.0.2623.110 m/ Windows 10 Version 1511 OS BUILD 10586.164

That's unrelated, just trying to prepare for a major upgrade Coming Soon. :) I'll see if I can make the headers more readable again.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 16:55:15 »
Had trouble clicking at first, but figured it out pretty quick how to beat it. I'm using Chrome and noticed no crosshair. I'm also using the Army.ca green background, if any of that helps.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME Instr
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 16:59:40 »
That's unrelated, just trying to prepare for a major upgrade Coming Soon. :) I'll see if I can make the headers more readable again.

ACK...I only noticed the headers the other day though....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 17:00:21 »
Had trouble clicking at first, but figured it out pretty quick how to beat it. I'm using Chrome and noticed no crosshair. I'm also using the Army.ca green background, if any of that helps.

Ditto,

I am a new Chrome user, and I noticed it, but thought Chrome was acting fuckey.

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 17:09:04 »
I was on my phone and missed everything lol
Recruting Center: Vancouver
Component: Reg Force
Trade Choice 1: MSEOP
Application Date: 09/22/2016
First Contact: 09/28/2016
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA
Position Offered: TBA
Basic Training Begins: TBA
Trade *Correction trade is open, back to getting fit :)*

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 17:18:39 »
I had noticed the crosshair tracking and figured it was one of your tricks.

However, I did not connect the fact I could not open links with it.  ;D

However, after a few minutes frustration, I noticed that if I right clicked on a link and simply used "open in another tab", I could just go around what I ascribed as a problem with my computer.

That was a good one Mike. :bowing:

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 17:20:25 »
Could explain why the post count was down...... [:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 18:16:28 »
Actually Mike I did notice it.  And it pissed me off a little as I have been having headaches with this ^@%@#$% notebook doing funny things with the cursor as it is.  I caught the gunsight moving and cottoned on that you were having some April fools fun.  I figured it wasn't as bad as the red background and lettering you did for was it Canada Day?  That was a trial trying to read text.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 13:43:52 »
SO!

>:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 13:46:26 »
I also noticed something amiss as I couldn't log into various threads. Earlier I was wondering what Mike would come up with and decided to lay low until service was restored.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 13:53:25 »
I also noticed something amiss as I couldn't log into various threads. Earlier I was wondering what Mike would come up with and decided to lay low until service was restored.

Pretty much  :ditto: for me ... I suspected April Fool's Day but feared a glitch so, like Old Sweat, I came back later ...

I did not see/notice the crosshair ~ maybe it's my screen (but it's a BIG 27" Apple display so it is really clear) ~ or maybe it's just my old eyes.  :'(
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 13:55:46 »
I did not see the crosshairs, nor suspect an April Fool's Joke; but blamed my own computer and internet.....Good thing I didn't start downloading and reloading programs and other modifications.

Offline Scarlett

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 14:16:52 »
I did notice the crosshairs at one point. It was so subtle that I thought maybe it had always been there and I only just noticed. I was using a touchscreen computer so I was lucky enough to avoid getting caught by the crosshairs.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 17:47:55 »
I didn't notice, but have been using my cell, so maybe it didn't show up??   :dunno:
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Scott

likes kicking bee hives.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 17:56:01 »
I noticed an issue clicking, but didn't see the crosshairs.

You have a year to load up for the next prank ;)
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

Offline kratz

Well into 2017.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • White Ensign
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 18:22:44 »
I saw the crosshairs once. They didn't bother my surfing, so I did not take notice of them until this thread.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline rayyy

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 12:59:41 »
Oh, I was wondering about that! I thought it was just some annoying update. I was actually trying to divert it by right-clicking somewhere before clicking on links. You got me! [lol:
Recruiting Center: CFRC Winnipeg
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade Choice 1: Health Care Administration Officer
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: December 17, 2015
First Contact: January 5, 2016
Aptitude Test: February 8, 2016 
Medical: April 7, 2016
Interview: April 7, 2016
Background and Reference Check: April 14, 2016