Author Topic: Server Hosting - Time to Renew  (Read 6897 times)

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Server Hosting - Time to Renew
« on: April 20, 2016, 11:30:06 »
Folks,

As you may recall, a couple of years ago we went through an analysis where we figured out a "way forward" for the site. Ultimately, the decision was made to do a short-term renewal (1 year) for a medium-grade server to allow us to re-assess in a year's time, which we did. We are now at 1 year minus 1 week from that renewal, which means next Thursday (28 April 2016) our server reservation expires. That does not mean we will be off the air; Army.ca will continue regardless, however it does mean our pre-paid server reservation expires, and we start paying a much higher hourly rate.

I have been planning for this by working some consulting gigs to cover the cost of renewal, however things haven't gone exactly as planned. (Mostly due to additional database and site traffic expenses and slow customer payment.) On average we pay about $210 CAD / month for hosting fees, largely because a year ago we rented the server with 100% of the cost paid up front. The remaining cost breakdown is attached, and as you can see, the cost is split between:

• EC2: Site storage and backup
  • RDS: Database usage
  • Data Transfer: Site traffic

If possible, I would like to renew the current 1 year contract on the server to keep the monthly costs where they are. If we don't renew, the costs go up to about $305 / month, which gets expensive quickly. As a stretch goal, I have spec'd out an upgrade to m3.2xlarge, which is a decent server upgrade to accommodate for future growth. It is not critical that we hit that goal, however doing so would help "future proof" the site as we continue to grow.

I do hate to hit the membership up for assistance, but any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. In a nutshell:

• If you are not already a subscriber, please consider subscribing - there are lots of benefits!
  • Why not consider some Army.ca swag, you can support the site and look cool too  8)
  • If for some reason you don't like special status or cool swag, you can always donate

Thanks to everyone for their support, and I apologize for the call for help - it was not my intent!  :'(

How are we doing?
Server Renewal Progress

Cheers
Mike

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Server Hosting - Time to Renew
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 12:39:22 »
A few shekels inbound - keep up the great work, MB!
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME Instr
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:43:12 »
Looking at the slide what is SNS?
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Online GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:49:36 »
Sent some
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Old and Tired

• Donor
  • Rate Post
  • Just a Dumb A** radop
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 12:53:09 »
Will kick in bucks again.
If you can keep your head while all about you are loosing theirs, obviously you don't understand the complexity of the problem.

"Hey, Andy, watch this; it'll gonna be really cool........"

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 12:54:24 »
Inbound EMT.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 12:55:47 »
  • If you are not already a subscriber, please consider subscribing - there are lots of benefits!

Still just 8 cents a day.  :)

Online cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 12:57:57 »
A handful of sestertii is coming your way.  :nod:

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 13:17:29 »

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 14:25:31 »
Thanks to everyone for their support! I appreciate the that in addition to the usual suspects, there are also some new folks helping out. :)

Looking at the slide what is SNS?

SNS is Simple Notification Service - alarms about server performance, etc. We don't incur any costs there. :)

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 21:22:49 »
So to be clear, we need to raise $380 more within a week or else the costs go up by like $95 bucks a month?
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline Walt

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 21:49:47 »
Just made my contribution. Ladies & gent's, every dollar counts! Please, let's help keep this website alive.

Walt

:cdn:
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 23:10:23 »
Just looking at my account and it seems the system generated two subscription payments. Just keep the second one as my contribution.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 00:12:56 »
Subscription renewed!!!!

:salute:

:dileas:
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Online CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 01:16:46 »
Just subscribed.     :salute:

E-transfer inbound.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 06:25:05 »
Thanks everyone! We had old subscribers re-up and new ones sign up, and donations of all kinds from folks who have been very generous. We are now in good standing for next week's renewal, thanks to the support provided - THANKS!

As a small token of my appreciation, here's an Army.ca theme for Google Chrome users:

http://army.ca/media/theme-ArmyCA.crx

And I have a site project in the wings that I hope to complete this week, now that the pressure is off for the renewal. :)

Cheers and thanks again
Mike

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME Instr
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 10:55:35 »
Thanks everyone! We had old subscribers re-up and new ones sign up, and donations of all kinds from folks who have been very generous. We are now in good standing for next week's renewal, thanks to the support provided - THANKS!

As a small token of my appreciation, here's an Army.ca theme for Google Chrome users:

http://army.ca/media/theme-ArmyCA.crx

And I have a site project in the wings that I hope to complete this week, now that the pressure is off for the renewal. :)

Cheers and thanks again
Mike

Like the theme Mike, will be sending some dough your way soon....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Online Scott

likes kicking bee hives.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 13:33:21 »
I keep bugging Mike to shake the trees a little more often. I'll have to set a reminder to make sure that I do it and just bypass him ;D

I know for a fact that this site has helped quite a number of folks, so why not return the favor to Mike for all his hard work.
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 15:35:28 »
I keep bugging Mike to shake the trees a little more often. I'll have to set a reminder to make sure that I do it and just bypass him ;D

I know for a fact that this site has helped quite a number of folks, so why not return the favor to Mike for all his hard work.
That, and think of the withdrawal symptoms you'll go through without your army.ca hit  >:D
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 20:46:01 »
Paid up another year's subscription.

Thanks!