Author Topic: Return to Pension for Life?  (Read 18012 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Return to Pension for Life?
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2017, 07:01:07 »
Still waiting ...
A group that advises Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr on policy issues has fired a warning shot over the Liberal government's plan to offer wounded veterans the "option" of lifetime pensions, CBC News has learned.

The panel, consisting of former soldiers and advocates, says the long-awaited overhaul must not be a simple redistribution of money that's already available.

(...)

The policy advisory group, which has acted as Hehr's sounding board, is getting signals that the Liberals mean to simply take the lump sum award and divide it into monthly payments.

In a May 12 letter, the panel warned that such a scheme "does not provide the lifetime financial security" that veterans were expecting from the Liberal campaign promise.

(...)

At the time of the budget, a senior government official speaking on background said the intention is to roll out the revised pension plan later this year and issue cheques to veterans by 2018 — a year ahead of the next election call.

The new plan, however, "would not seek parity with the old pension act," that pre-dates the Conservative changes, the official told CBC News last spring.

At the same time, the letter to Hehr expressed frustration that the advisory panel's recommendations were being ignored and "deliberately pushed down the line for further review and evaluation."

Specifically, the advisers pointed to their October 2016 report, delivered to Veterans Affairs, which suggested rolling a suite of already existing benefits and entitlements, including the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance and Attendance Allowance, into "a single stream of income for life." ...
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2017, 09:04:12 »
Still waiting ...Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice ...

Sure, why not?  They're pushing all their other commitments off the to the right and saving themselves a ton of money too boot.  Just like them to screw the guys further.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2017, 11:42:08 »
 :facepalm:
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2017, 08:49:11 »

Except they were not Conservative changes.  NVC was a liberal plan and they still cannot own it.  That is how far apart we are on this issue, they are still playing the blame game.  This is issue will never be resolved until there is an earnest outcry by a large majority of Canucks.
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2017, 11:02:12 »
Except they were not Conservative changes.  NVC was a liberal plan and they still cannot own it.  That is how far apart we are on this issue, they are still playing the blame game ...
Since your laying a touch of blame there, there's a case to be made that Team Blue voted unanimously for it, had a chance to fix it (even with a majority government), and didn't, so they wear it from the last round.  Now, Team Red can fix it - with a majority of their own - but they're not ...
... This is issue will never be resolved until there is an earnest outcry by a large majority of Canucks.
Sadly ... #LikelyCostsTooMuch  #SupportAMileWideAndAnInchDeep

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2017, 11:48:46 »

For interest's sake, here are the current members of the policy advisory group.

Major (Retired) Mark Campbell
Brian Forbes, National Council of Veteran Associations in Canada
Michel Houle, Veterans UN-NATO Canada
Master Warrant Officer (Retired) William MacDonald
Major-General John Milne
Luc O’Bomsawin, Aboriginal Veterans Autochtones
Brigadier-General (Retired) Joe Sharpe
Commodore (Retired) Andrea Siew
Colonel (Retired) Brad White, Royal Canadian Legion
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2017, 12:11:50 »
Since your laying a touch of blame there, there's a case to be made that Team Blue voted unanimously for it, had a chance to fix it (even with a majority government), and didn't, so they wear it from the last round.  Now, Team Red can fix it - with a majority of their own - but they're not ... Sadly ... #LikelyCostsTooMuch  #SupportAMileWideAndAnInchDeep
If there is one issue in Canada that is truly bi-partisan it is lack of support for the military.

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2017, 12:31:18 »

Major-General John Milne

So Canadian Veterans Advocacy is out?  I tend to view them as hyper Liberals along with ABC Veterans.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2017, 16:40:35 »

Major-General John Milne

I wonder where all the Corporals, Master Seamen, and Leading Air Craftsmen are.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2017, 22:57:04 »
So Canadian Veterans Advocacy is out?  I tend to view them as hyper Liberals along with ABC Veterans.

Your view would be inaccurate.  There are just as many people following CVA who are upset with the current government reneging on the re-establishment of the disability pension as there were upset with the previous government for not doing anything about it.  CVA doesn't care what colour of party is in power, only that they restore us to "one veteran, one standard".

Mike Blais (CVA) was indeed removed from the Policy Advisory Group, at the request of the other members.

Blais said he was to told Monday that other members of the committee, which include both active and retired military members, as well as representatives of groups like the National Council of Veteran Associations in Canada, Veterans UN-NATO Canada, Aboriginal Veterans Autochtones and the Royal Canadian Legion, felt uncomfortable speaking while he was being so public about the discussions. Blais was not invited to the most recent meeting, which took place on Wednesday, two days after he found out he was being removed.

“I believe every policy advisory group should be full transparency and that every veteran we represent should be fully aware of what’s transpiring at these levels,” he said.

A formal letter received by Blais Friday, signed by the deputy minister, reiterated concerns that other committee members were upset by his Facebook activity and confirms his termination, citing the terms of reference for the committee which state members must respect the “trust and confidentiality” of deliberations and refrain from sharing “privileged/protected information or information of a personal nature.”

There are some shenanigans going on with this Policy Advisory Group.  The lone member of the group advocating for the re-establishment of the lifetime disability pension, removed...because he shared this with the CVA Facebook group:

“We discussed the lump sum award today, once again, there was consensus that the award was sufficient <...> We are the only dissenting position,” it reads in part. “As the ONLY stakeholder at the table, then and now, that fought for equality on this issue, I can tell you there will never be consensus support at the Policy Advisory Group, they do not not support the equality principles the CVA and/or, I suspect, want to use this opportunity to create THEIR version of the life time pension, not one that was promised, not one that we have fought so hard for these past five years without wavering.”

Interesting.  Apparently revealing that the lot of them save for one is against re-establishment of the disability pension is "privileged/protected information".  I wonder if the rank and file of these organizations realize what their representatives are actually advocating for.

That is a damned fine question.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2017, 23:52:01 »

I suspect anyone who was an LAC in the RCAF has long since retired.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2017, 00:05:48 »
I spoke with Mike Blaise while we were sharing drinks in Ottawa. Hehr made a big deal about being open and transparent. Mike took him at his word. When asked what was going on, he told those that were asking exactly the truth about what was being discussed and the direction the policy board was taking us.

Apparently, members of the committee got upset that Mike was talking outside of class and telling us who was really supporting us and, more importantly, who wasn't backing us. The official story is the remaining committee members went to Hehr and said they didn't want to be taking heat because Mike was being open and transparent. Just like Hehr said they were.(but obviously aren't).

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2017, 00:25:13 »
I suspect anyone who was an LAC in the RCAF has long since retired.

Obviously. I'm also pretty darn sure there's more than a few out there collecting VAC pensions. So why would they not deserve a seat at the table. Not sure what your point was.

It doesn't change the fact that a corporal living on disability has no input, but the guys with big honking pensions, high paying consulting jobs, tons of connections, etc get to decide, as it ever was, what the corporal will get and he'll damn well like it.

I think it's criminal, but not unexpected

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2017, 00:31:34 »
Yup.  Full disclosure:  I've been an admin on the CVA FB group for a couple of years, and have been active with them for five years.  Mike's story hasn't changed one bit - re-establish the Disability Pension.  That's it.

After Mike told us about his phone call with Natynczyk where he was informed of his removal, I had an ATI request filed within 15 minutes with VAC.  Subject: requesting release of all documentation regarding Mike's removal from the Policy Advisory Group, including the letter sent from the other members of the Group to the Deputy Minister requesting Blais' removal.  I'm anxious to find out how much of it is redacted because it's "privileged/protected".   >:D

Have a gander at the Records of Discussion of the group.  Have you ever seen anything so devoid of details with regard to the re-establishment of the Disability Pension, not to mention the other topics?

It doesn't change the fact that a corporal living on disability has no input, but the guys with big honking pensions, high paying consulting jobs, tons of connections, etc get to decide, as it ever was, what the corporal will get and he'll damn well like it.

Or worse, a corporal living on a lump sum and trying to jump through the ELB, CIA, and all the other hoops just to try to make ends meet.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2017, 06:48:16 »
Yeah, that's what's needed - more patience ...
Canada’s veterans affairs minister is urging patience from injured ex-soldiers growing frustrated waiting for a government plan that would give them pensions for life.

The Liberal government promised in the budget it would announce plans by the end of this year for the option of life-long pensions for those injured in uniform.

The Liberals were the only party to promise to re-introduce the pensions, which were replaced by a lump-sum payment, career training and targeted income-replacement programs in 2006.

“We’re committed to a pension-for-life option for our veterans,” Kent Hehr, minister of veterans affairs and associate minister of national defence, said in an interview with the Canadian Press Monday. “They’ve asked for this. We’ve committed to this.”

Hehr declined to discuss what progress has been made so far but said he understands why many injured Canadian Armed Forces members are frustrated by the delay.

“They really deserve our support,” Hehr said. “When they leave the military as the result of illness or injury, that is tremendously hard and they’ve had to take off that jersey for the last time ...
:waiting:

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2017, 07:28:56 »
Your view would be inaccurate.  There are just as many people following CVA who are upset with the current government reneging on the re-establishment of the disability pension as there were upset with the previous government for not doing anything about it.  CVA doesn't care what colour of party is in power, only that they restore us to "one veteran, one standard".

Mike Blais (CVA) was indeed removed from the Policy Advisory Group, at the request of the other members.

There are some shenanigans going on with this Policy Advisory Group.  The lone member of the group advocating for the re-establishment of the lifetime disability pension, removed...because he shared this with the CVA Facebook group:

Interesting.  Apparently revealing that the lot of them save for one is against re-establishment of the disability pension is "privileged/protected information".  I wonder if the rank and file of these organizations realize what their representatives are actually advocating for.

That is a damned fine question.

I wonder if the Legion can survive another veterans back stabbing media storm? 

Offline Pre-flight

• Rate Post
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2017, 11:20:30 »
I wonder if the Legion can survive another veterans back stabbing media storm?

Sooner people stop pretending the legion is at all relevant to anyone under the age of 70 the sooner that relic can die and we can focus on establishing organization run by actual military veterans/serving military. Right now that space is occupied by a civilian's social club masquerading like they advocate for us.

Now I'll wait while the 7 people with actual military time who joined the legion in the last 20 years object to what I said.

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2017, 09:38:03 »
I just had a quite lengthy conversation last week about this issue. The discussion began with my concerns about how the current government is deciding to deal with certain lawsuits (wrt to which ones to settle and which ones to fight) and developed into many things VAC & 3B release.

I understand that any settlement with us regarding a pension of any kind is going to cost into the billions of $$ going forward but a settlement of a few million $$ is much easier to swallow. Hell, I've spent nearly that much on gravel in a 4 year period (do you have any idea how much gravel a swamp in Gagetown can swallow??  ;D).

I was guaranteed that the delay is due solely to the complications based in the language of the various pieces of legislation that are intertwined together. It was also admitted to me that the money issue is a reality that must be dealt with somehow.

Note that I was not told that a "pension for life" was going to be the same as those done under the old Pension Act. However, I don't think it is wrong to state that it's not as simple as simply bringing back a medical pension based on % of injury as determined by VAC.

With ELB being raised to 90%, how does that impact any future pension? Let alone the other aspects of the NVC that provide a suite of benefits that never existed before? All of those services have a dollar amount that is part of the "compensation" package. When does VAC Voc Rehab end? When a job is found? When my income reaches 66 1/2% of my pre-release income? Which is still on the books by the way.

Lots of questions, not many answers. I don't know what anything is going to look like when they finally bring it forward, but I certainly do share the concerns about the advisory boards that there was too much emphasis on policy development experience and not enough on "real-life" experience in dealing with these very complex admin issues.
Why are there swamps on top of hills?