Author Topic: Threat of possible US Civil War  (Read 8043 times)

Offline Jmarcha8

• Rate Post
Threat of possible US Civil War
« on: November 04, 2016, 17:15:14 »
With the possibility of a U.S. Civil War more likely now than usual, would Canada be involved in any way and what role would they be involved in?

I'm asking because I am a dual citizen and looking to join the Canadian reserves.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Threat of possible US Civil War
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 17:20:50 »
Really?  Is there some sort of intel other than the ramblings of a few extreme views that give you that idea? 

There won't be a civil war.  Maybe civil unrest in some areas or a few fringe elements doing something stupid.

Our role will be what our role is today.
Optio

Offline Jmarcha8

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 17:35:04 »
The concern is that civilian trust of both the government and authorities such as police are at a low point.  It is of course now too early to tell, but it may be too early until it actually happens.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 17:39:36 »
With the possibility of a U.S. Civil War more likely now than usual, would Canada be involved in any way and what role would they be involved in?

I'm asking because I am a dual citizen and looking to join the Canadian reserves.

Canada would be sent down south to disarm the US military & citizens and do peacekeeping operations until Neil Degrasse Tyson and General James Mattis are ready to take office.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 17:45:38 by Jarnhamar »

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 18:11:46 »
It is of course now too early to tell, but it may be too early until it actually happens.

Mr. Trump sent a lot of angry tweets to his followers when President Obama was re-elected in 2012,
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/18/politics/donald-trump-rigged-vote-twitter-2012/
"We can't let this happen. We should march on Washington and stop this travesty. Our nation is totally divided!"

CNN: "Sound familiar? Trump called 2012 vote a 'total sham' "

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 18:19:54 by mariomike »

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 18:42:37 »
Adding this to provide more grist for this mill ...
Since the thread appears to be headed down the road of starry-eyed optimism, here's an interesting piece from, admittedly, a source that doesn't sound all that authoritative, but if we're willing to be a bit open minded, it's a piece that appears to quote some of the right people:

"6 Reasons Why A New Civil War Is Possible And Terrifying"

From the piece:
(...)
6.  The Beginning Looks A Lot Like Where We Are Right Now
(...)
5.  The Violence Could Start With Farms Choking The Cities
(...)
4.  The Revolution Will Plagiarize ISIS's Tactics*
(...)
3.  There Will Be Hundreds of Sides
(...)
2.  Decades of Military Spending Will Bite Us In The ***
(...)
1.  The Internet Will Make It Even Bloodier
(...)
The same source also posted this not-too-shabby summary of how ISIS/ISIL/Daesh came to be.

* - On #4, I would have softened it to "could" instead of "will", but that's just me ...
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 00:51:47 »
Most people have families to care for and jobs to do, so the best form of "Civil War" would be a vigorous dose of "Irish Democracy". Imagine large swaths of the country essential in a "work to rule" situation vis a vi their government institutions, making it difficult if not impossible for the Diktat of Washington bureaucrats or "Executive orders" to be carried out.

The mass failure of people to join Obamacare (and the leakage of people who are reacting to discovering they were taken with unusable plans, massive deductibles and rapidly escalating premiums) is a foretaste of what the real "civil war" will look like. Another interesting model could be the description of the First Intifada in the book The Sling and the Stone, where a leaderless, "bottom up" revolt using media and paper based communications, and forbidding armed conflict against the Israelis, managed to achieve victory.

So the next "Battle of Bull Run" may be snarled lines at the DMV and crowds of people doing things that inconvenience the powers that be on social media. After all, the Left has been using lawfare, the "march through the institutions", media and Political correctness to attack the American people for a generation (arguably a lot longer), so the response isn't necessarily or even obviously armed rebellion.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 01:01:00 »
The concern is that civilian trust of both the government and authorities such as police are at a low point.  It is of course now too early to tell, but it may be too early until it actually happens.

I hardly think a US civil war is likely at this time. Life is to cozy for to many people in the USA. Yes, like someone else said, fringe elements may do idiotic things and civil unrest may ensue. But I hardly think a large enough percent of Americans are willing to die just because Clinton or Trump get in.

Also as an American citizen, cant you be drafted? They still have that right? I suspect as a dual citizen that may be something to be cognizant of. As per Canada's role, I have no clue.. I think if Clinton gets in, we may be more pro establishment then if trump gets in.. but I have no proof to that. A civil war aint nice, I have a friend in the III% Militia down south, another friend ex military who was a pastor as well etc etc and they all think it will be business as usual after the elections with just the usual whining. I hope they are right.

Abdullah
Recruting Center: Vancouver
Component: Reg Force
Trade Choice 1: MSEOP
Application Date: 09/22/2016
First Contact: 09/28/2016
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA
Position Offered: TBA
Basic Training Begins: TBA
Trade *Correction trade is open, back to getting fit :)*

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:32:32 »
I hope you are right as well.

The problem is people are feeling they are being exploited and are trying to take steps to end it. The TEA Party movement was essentially the bourgeois response, using political activism and electoral politics. Despite some rather considerable success in knocking off incumbents through the process of primaries and sweeping success in the mid terms, the politicians they elected failed to carry through with the promises to the electorate. Donald Trump's brand of nationalism and populism is the next stage, and obviously having a huge effect (and much like the Brexit, it is a huge raised middle finger to the various political, bureaucratic, crony capitalist, academic and media "elites" who control much of the wealth, power and information in modern America).

If they win today (08 Nov 2016), then they will have 4 to 8 years to assess if their concerns are being addressed. If the general feeling is "no", then we evolve past Donald Trump into some pretty scary territory. A Clinton victory simply advances the timetable.

So the real issue is how hard the "powers that be" are willing to dig in their heels. They may feel protected and insulated from the population, but then again, the various ruling parties across the Arab world probably felt secure right before the "Arab Spring" began as well. I imagine President Viktor Yanukovych wasn't too perturbed when the Maidan square protests began either...Some sort of tipping point or preference cascade against the current situation is what it takes to make things happen. At that point, we can only hope the nature of what sorts of "things happen" isn't leaving everything in flames.

Edit to add:

This is hardly new. I stopped by a local use book store and the first thing I saw in the dollar bin was "Killing Ground: The Canadian Civil War" by "Ellis Portal" (published in 1968). The blurb tells me this is a ripping yarn about the Canadians fighting against Quebec separatists, and it certainly seems SFNal to todays eyes; Units like the Queens's Own Rifles are on the Order of Battle and (if I am reading this right) at some point in the book there will be an airborne assault on Quebec City.

Civil unrest and civil war is a distinct possibility if there are truly fundamental changes in the social, political or economic conditions of a nation. I'm pretty sure the Progressives have such changes in mind with their talk of fundamental transformation, but first of all, there is a massive amount of inertia to overcome in a nation of 300 million people, and secondly, the changes in demographics, economics, technology and social structures are not running in the directions that either the Progressives or the Conservatives have foreseen or even understand.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 19:53:32 by Thucydides »
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Jmarcha8

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 15:46:07 »
I hardly think a US civil war is likely at this time. Life is to cozy for to many people in the USA. Yes, like someone else said, fringe elements may do idiotic things and civil unrest may ensue. But I hardly think a large enough percent of Americans are willing to die just because Clinton or Trump get in.

Also as an American citizen, cant you be drafted? They still have that right? I suspect as a dual citizen that may be something to be cognizant of. As per Canada's role, I have no clue.. I think if Clinton gets in, we may be more pro establishment then if trump gets in.. but I have no proof to that. A civil war aint nice, I have a friend in the III% Militia down south, another friend ex military who was a pastor as well etc etc and they all think it will be business as usual after the elections with just the usual whining. I hope they are right.

Abdullah

I am joining the Canadian Reserves so I think it would be hard for them to do.  Not that I am against serving.

Offline Jmarcha8

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 23:15:29 »

Abdullah

I just checked and apparently I was supposed to register for the draft.

I was born in the states to Canadian Parents (Father was naturalized), and was taken to Canada when I was 2, living here since. 

I am thirty now and apparently too old to register, which does cause some issues.  I'll have to take it up with the US Consulate to address it.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Regards,

Joseph Marchand

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 23:23:09 »

I was born in the states to Canadian Parents (Father was naturalized), and was taken to Canada when I was 2, living here since. 

I am thirty now and apparently too old to register, which does cause some issues.  I'll have to take it up with the US Consulate to address it.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Regards,

Joseph Marchand

Oh, well I am glad you looked into it for your sake. Hopefully it is a non-issue for you and it all works out. Only reason I knew about it is because of my American Step Father, he would chat about it quite often.

Good luck getting into the reserves.

Abdullah
Recruting Center: Vancouver
Component: Reg Force
Trade Choice 1: MSEOP
Application Date: 09/22/2016
First Contact: 09/28/2016
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA
Position Offered: TBA
Basic Training Begins: TBA
Trade *Correction trade is open, back to getting fit :)*

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 16:55:49 »
Yes, like someone else said, fringe elements may do idiotic things and civil unrest may ensue.

Watching the protests and reading the so called "Bird Dogging" emails on Wikileaks makes it pretty clear "who" is whipping up the fringe elements. (Note: Democrats used the term "Bird Dogging" to refer to Dems going to Trump rallies and trying to incite violence, which could then be reported on the Legacy media but spun as being done by Trump voters and supporters).

I frankly can't think of a more counter productive activity. The optics look terrible and fence sitters or people who were less receptive to the President Elect will be more likely inclined to move in his direction as a reaction against the violence rather than fall in line behind the Democrats. I'm sure working class white Democrat voters in the Rustbelt States will also take kindly to being maligned non stop as "Racists" and wallowing in "White Privilege" by the rioters as well.

However, this does follow the 3 laws of SJW's (especially 2 & 3):

SJW's always lie
SJW's always project
SJW's always double down

So go ahead Dems, and double down for the next 4 years. I'm sure you will create a groundswell of new followers, just not for the people you expect.

Offline ModlrMike

is wastin away in Margaritaville.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 18:13:43 »
Are not these the same folks who were predicting violence in the face of a Trump defeat?
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 19:53:43 »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 20:43:55 »

While the Selective Service System may accept a legitimate excuse that your failure to register "was not knowing and willful", the Internal Revenue Service is likely less forgiving in a failure to fulfill the obligation of every US citizen (or permanent resident) to file income tax returns regardless of their country of residence.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 21:16:26 »
So go ahead Dems, and double down for the next 4 years.

Wall Street Journal says, "Anti-Trump Protests Likely to Continue".
http://www.wsj.com/articles/anti-trump-protests-turn-violent-in-oregon-1478885999

There have been six Republican presidents during my lifetime. Seven counting Mr. Trump.

I can't think of a single Republican president-elect who faced protests like these before inauguration. Only Mr. Trump.

Perhaps they are more anti-Trump, than anti-Republican?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 21:23:43 by mariomike »

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 21:37:20 »
Look, the average American really doesn't have the attention span to carry off a civil war. Come February the Super Bowl will be here, and they will all forget that there was a time before the Benevolent Supreme Leader Donald Trump, may he be blessed to rule over us for eternity. :bowdown:
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 21:43:17 »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/anti-trump-protests-turn-violent-in-oregon-1478885999

.....And these are the people who were calling Trump everything under the sun, from being Racist to being too unpredictable and a bully.  It appears they can't see their reflections in the mirror.  They called those who voted for Trump the scum of the earth and uneducated.  Looks like they are the scum and uneducated.  Most don't even have a clue of how their electorial system is set up, and that is why they are whining and rioting.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 22:04:27 »
Most don't even have a clue of how their electorial system is set up, and that is why they are whining and rioting.

As an outsider, neither do I. My math is pretty rusty, but there is some explanation in the National Post.
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/andrew-coyne-dont-blame-clinton-for-losing-she-got-the-most-votes

"By the time all of the votes are in, several days hence, her lead is projected to exceed two million."

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 22:40:35 »
It seems that Soros funded leftists are behind the unrest. Funny how the left complained about Russian interference.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/11/soros-funded-orgs-behind-violent-anti-trump-protests-across-america/

Offline cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 22:52:08 »

There have been six Republican presidents during my lifetime. Seven counting Mr. Trump.

I can't think of a single Republican president-elect who faced protests like these before inauguration. Only Mr. Trump.

Perhaps they are more anti-Trump, than anti-Republican?
Perhaps it's because the rise of the overgrown children who've never been denied, never lost anything, who've been given recompense for merely existing rather than striving and never had their narrow views challenged is a more recent phenomenon.  I can't recall there being such a thing as "safe spaces" "trigger warnings" "SJWs" "campus garbage babies" etc, even during the most recent Republican administration.  The phenomenon seems to have coalesced purely during the Obama years.

Let them riot.  They'll only reinforce the choice made by the pro-Trumps and make those sitting on the fence wonder.  Besides, rioters in Portland Oregon destroying Portland Oregon, one of the bluest places in the USA is like scoring repeated own goals while beating up your own goal keeper with a rock filled sock.  It makes no sense and everyone with two brain cells who's watching the action can figure out that the protestors are utter cretins.  All of that merely cements Trump's victory and shows why he won.  If they had a smidgen of intelligence, they would figure it out.  The fact that they don't speaks volumes  :facepalm:

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 23:28:14 »
Let them riot.  They'll only reinforce the choice made by the pro-Trumps and make those sitting on the fence wonder.  Besides, rioters in Portland Oregon destroying Portland Oregon, one of the bluest places in the USA is like scoring repeated own goals while beating up your own goal keeper with a rock filled sock.  It makes no sense and everyone with two brain cells who's watching the action can figure out that the protestors are utter cretins.  All of that merely cements Trump's victory and shows why he won.  If they had a smidgen of intelligence, they would figure it out.  The fact that they don't speaks volumes  :facepalm:

I wouldn't put the riot and the damage on the protesters, but more on the usual suspects. The few agitators who's only reason for being is to create mayhem and anarchy. These are the same group of brain dead morons that show up at the G20 summits and set fires, smash windows, loot stores and overturn cars. They are few in number, but their actions far outweigh anything the majority of peaceful protesters want to achieve.

This can't be attributed to Clinton backers or organizers. These f$@kwads were around long before this campaign season, and will go on well past the next few election cycles.

My beef with the millennials is that they want to detach themselves from the establishment and find alternate means of creating change, be it sit-ins like the Occupy movement, or use social media to influence change. Once they clue in that the only effective means of making change is to use the electoral process, look out. Once they realize that they outnumber Boomers, and will have a long period of control, we will be looking at a different world. But they need to get their heads out of their @sses first.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 23:39:08 »

They had their Civil War 1861-5... some say they haven't stopped fighting it yet, though.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2016, 00:17:09 »

My beef with the millennials is that they want to detach themselves from the establishment and find alternate means of creating change, be it sit-ins like the Occupy movement, or use social media to influence change. Once they clue in that the only effective means of making change is to use the electoral process, look out. Once they realize that they outnumber Boomers, and will have a long period of control, we will be looking at a different world. But they need to get their heads out of their @sses first.

Until, hopefully,  they realize that there's no free lunch and no one is going to feed and shelter them. They'll get jobs or start a business and start to pick the lock that the socialist academia has put on their brains.

Like the Gen X & early Y's that gave us PEOTUS.  8)
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 00:37:08 »
"By the time all of the votes are in, several days hence, her lead is projected to exceed two million."

Coyne makes the usual error: assuming that the candidates would campaign the same in a winner-take-all FPTP vote as they do for electoral votes.

The popular vote share for US president is irrelevant for the same reason the popular vote share for parliament is irrelevant here: there are many (51) distinct elections, not a single election.  Running up a large vote surplus in CA doesn't extinguish the voices of much smaller states.  It is the United States, not the United Voters.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Omnia praesidia vestra capta sunt nobis.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

"But injustice is a rule of the service, as you know very well; and since you have to have a good deal of undeserved abuse, you might just as well have it from your friends."  - The Ionian Mission, by Patrick O'Brian.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 06:27:59 »
I wouldn't put the riot and the damage on the protesters, but more on the usual suspects ...
Sorry - if we're going to hold one side's feet to the fire over "the sins of the few idiots", we have to do the same to the other side. 

Google "diversity of tactics" to find out how a lot of protest groups (like Occupy) refuse to condemn or prevent their small group of idiots from damaging property during protests.

To anyone from any side allowing idiots to be idiots:  the standard you walk past, is the standard you accept.
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 08:54:38 »
Perhaps it's because the rise of the overgrown children who've never been denied,

Times change fast. Not so sure people do. I don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember the race riots and anti-draft protests in the US in the 1960's. I wasn't there, I saw it on TV.

But, I can't think of a single Republican president-elect who people rioted over before they were even sworn in. 

Incidentally, I'm as sickened by protestors and rioters and looters as anyone. Probably more so as a ( retired ) member of the city emergency services.

It was only a matter of time. Protester shot at the anti-Trump riots in Portland.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/11/12/one-shot-at-anti-trump-protest-in-portland.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl
"Police say the shooter got into an argument with one of the demonstrators on the Morrison Bridge before getting out of his vehicle and firing several shots."

Running up a large vote surplus in CA doesn't extinguish the voices of much smaller states. 

Clinton's Popular-Vote Lead Will Grow, and Grow, and Grow
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/clintons-popular-vote-lead-will-grow-and-grow/507455/
"Millions of mail-in and absentee ballots haven’t been counted yet. They won’t change anything, though."

They wonder why so many people don't even bother voting.

Perhaps that is why CalExit is gaining popularity?
"The campaign argues that California suffers under federal overregulation, that the state contributes more federal tax than it receives in federal funding, that the state feels isolated from political power in Washington, D.C., and that there is a wide gap between the political and cultural differences of California and the rest of the country."
http://www.yescalifornia.org/

From what I understand, California has about as much chance of independence as the GTA does from the province.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:03:52 by mariomike »

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 11:48:11 »
Perhaps that is why CalExit is gaining popularity?
"The campaign argues that California suffers under federal overregulation, that the state contributes more federal tax than it receives in federal funding, that the state feels isolated from political power in Washington, D.C., and that there is a wide gap between the political and cultural differences of California and the rest of the country."
http://www.yescalifornia.org/

From what I understand, California has about as much chance of independence as the GTA does from the province.

They may not have to secede from the union. Some reports indicate that the next big earthquake will separate the state from the rest of the country anyway. All they need to do is start fracking the hell out of the San Andreas fault.  ;D

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2016, 11:51:34 »
With the major difference being the rest of the US wants  California to stay....   :pop:
I even read works I disagree with;  life outside  an ideological echo chamber.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2016, 12:10:16 »
With the major difference being the rest of the US wants  California to stay....   :pop:

No need for your popcorn smiley, we already have three pages on that,

City-state provinces in Canada? Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=124115.50

"Political observers say the change is unlikely to happen, given it would require the approval of Parliament and seven of the provinces, with at least 50 per cent of the population."
Toronto Star March 16, 2010

From the Electoral Reform discussion, "Poor, rural and small town Canada gets paid by urban Canada, simple as that."

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:13:42 by mariomike »

Offline George Wallace

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2016, 12:59:01 »

"Political observers say the change is unlikely to happen, given it would require the approval of Parliament and seven of the provinces, with at least 50 per cent of the population."
Toronto Star March 16, 2010

Isn't 50% of the population in the GTA?    [:D

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2016, 13:14:30 »
Isn't 50% of the population in the GTA?    [:D

Sometimes it feels like it!  :)

I read this,

"The Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is projected to be the fastest growing region of the province, with its population increasing by over 2.8 million, or 42.9 per cent, to reach almost 9.5 million by 2041. The GTA’s share of provincial population is projected to rise from 48.0 per cent in 2015 to 52.7 per cent in 2041."

Offline Jmarcha8

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 14:26:04 »
While the Selective Service System may accept a legitimate excuse that your failure to register "was not knowing and willful", the Internal Revenue Service is likely less forgiving in a failure to fulfill the obligation of every US citizen (or permanent resident) to file income tax returns regardless of their country of residence.

Actually, Tax authorities are generally not out to put you in jail if you act in good faith, they have quite a few programs in place that allow people amnesty if they come forward. 

But regardless, I have been filing taxes for the last while anyways.

Offline Jmarcha8

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 14:32:32 »
I wouldn't put the riot and the damage on the protesters, but more on the usual suspects. The few agitators who's only reason for being is to create mayhem and anarchy. These are the same group of brain dead morons that show up at the G20 summits and set fires, smash windows, loot stores and overturn cars. They are few in number, but their actions far outweigh anything the majority of peaceful protesters want to achieve.

This can't be attributed to Clinton backers or organizers. These f$@kwads were around long before this campaign season, and will go on well past the next few election cycles.

I agree to an extent, I do think (peaceful) protesting should be encouraged though, it may at least give leaders pause and is a legitimate part of the process. 

I am of pissed that Colin Kaepernick did not vote.  Heck, I would have at least respected him going to the poll and intentionally spoiling his ballot, at least that is doing something, like having a "no" vote.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 17:12:52 »
I have to chuckle that the anti-gun ownership side is threatening “direct action” and other threats against the side with the most guns. Would not end well.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 17:35:27 »
I have to chuckle that the anti-gun ownership side is threatening “direct action” and other threats against the side with the most guns. Would not end well.

From what I have read on here, acquiring guns in the US - one way or the other - isn't too difficult. Can't see it becoming any less convenient under Mr. Trump.
Maybe a civil war is inevitable, helps get rid of the bad blood? Nobody alive has witnessed post-election rioting like this. Just have to wait and see.
Not like there's nobody getting shot there now. I like to follow the emergency services action: Five people killed & at least 32 others were wounded in shootings in Chicago over the weekend. But, the Cubs won!  :)
Nothing new about bloodbaths in the US.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 18:12:12 by mariomike »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 10:17:34 »
They could acquire guns if they don't have a criminal record, but they still be out gunned and out aimed and out of ammo before the other side is.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 10:24:54 »
Doesn't sound too difficult,

Gun laws in the United States by state
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 10:35:22 »
I agree to an extent, I do think (peaceful) protesting should be encouraged though, it may at least give leaders pause and is a legitimate part of the process.
That bit in yellow being key.  At least Trump has told his folks publicly to stop being idiots* (how well that'll work is a different question, but at least he said it). 

Democrats on violence/property damage?  I stand to be corrected, but so far ... :crickets:

* - Caveat:  I'm linking to CBS, so feel free to base the truthiness of the claim on your read of CBS's bias or lack thereof.   ;D

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 13:54:47 »
Doesn't sound too difficult,

Gun laws in the United States by state
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state

It be a steep learning curve, plus there won't be any ammo left for them to buy.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=liberals+shoot+guns

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2016, 16:09:18 »
Hopefully, there will be no violence. Or, at least bloodshed and property damage will be kept to a minimum.

However, the cost of policing anti-Trump protests / riots has become an increasing concern.

eg: Portland, Oregon reports police overtime at anti-Trump demonstrations has already soared well past $500,000.

Offline cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2016, 16:16:18 »
However, the cost of policing anti-Trump protests / riots has become an increasing concern.

eg: Portland, Oregon reports police overtime at anti-Trump demonstrations has already soared well past $500,000.
Portland's finances suffering because of snowflake riots could be seen as a win-win proposition, considering it's a deep blue city, i.e. watching the other side score repeated own goals  >:D

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2016, 16:25:59 »
Portland's finances suffering because of snowflake riots could be seen as a win-win proposition, considering it's a deep blue city, i.e. watching the other side score repeated own goals  >:D

Post election anti-Trump protests / riots are in many cities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_Donald_Trump#Post-election_protests

Even Canadian cities, including Ottawa,
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/city-hall-blog-a-trump-visit-to-ottawa-isnt-like-an-obama-love-in-for-police

Even if there are no Personal Injuries or Property Damage, the overtime costs of policing these protests / riots is staggering.

Not to mention the inconvenience caused by civil disobedience. Blocking roads etc.

New York mayor Bill de Blasio calls for protests against Donald Trump
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/new-york-mayor-bill-de-blasio-donald-trump-protests-take-away-power-a7420486.html

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:40:44 by mariomike »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2016, 10:17:58 »
Hopefully, there will be no violence. Or, at least bloodshed and property damage will be kept to a minimum.

See he is already creating jobs and energizing the economy  [lol:

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2016, 17:10:46 »
I suppose the riots constitute "snowstorms".
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Omnia praesidia vestra capta sunt nobis.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

"But injustice is a rule of the service, as you know very well; and since you have to have a good deal of undeserved abuse, you might just as well have it from your friends."  - The Ionian Mission, by Patrick O'Brian.