Author Topic: Politics in 2017  (Read 44181 times)

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
Re: Politics in 2017
« Reply #500 on: May 19, 2017, 15:43:40 »
OGBD-

Imagine for a second that Ottawa decided tomorrow there was no future in hydroelectricity and that all dams would be removed from all rivers in 20 years.

Québec's reaction would be, what, precisely?

Chris said it better I could.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #501 on: May 19, 2017, 15:54:35 »
As the "populist wave" cheerleaders on the site love to repeat, the actual facts are apparently irrelevant;  when anything disagreed with is simply 'fake news,' why bother trying to put forth a logical argument for or against Alberta's anger?

Hell, in one fell swoop, the Americans got a President who is more crooked than Richard Nixon and even stupider than George Bush (#43).  I imagine Albertans can come up with a politician that no one objects to being a compulsive liar, who will put together the campaign promises to ride that ***** all the way to the prom.  Facts -- and the inescapable reality that our policies and economies are intertwined -- be damned.

:not-again:
I even read works I disagree with;  life outside  an ideological echo chamber.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #502 on: May 19, 2017, 16:59:35 »
As the "populist wave" cheerleaders on the site love to repeat, the actual facts are apparently irrelevant;  when anything disagreed with is simply 'fake news,' why bother trying to put forth a logical argument for or against Alberta's anger?

Hell, in one fell swoop, the Americans got a President who is more crooked than Richard Nixon and even stupider than George Bush (#43).  I imagine Albertans can come up with a politician that no one objects to being a compulsive liar, who will put together the campaign promises to ride that ***** all the way to the prom.  Facts -- and the inescapable reality that our policies and economies are intertwined -- be damned.

:not-again:

As someone who was raised to read the book myself, rather have it read to me from the pulpit, I find myself less troubled by the lack of a revealed truth.
Over, Under, Around or Through.
Anticipating the triumph of Thomas Reid.

"One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”  - James Lovelock

Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others. [Ambrose Bierce, 1911]

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #503 on: May 19, 2017, 20:13:05 »
Also having grown up in Southern Alberta I remember the National Energy Program of nice hair senior.  I remember how hard it was for a long time to find a decent job in those days.  There were those people back then who proposed the Western Canada Concept.  Separatists.  I disliked them then as much as I hated Rene Levesque and his ilk. Still do.  I have been away since 94, but I can appreciate how those feelings might arise in the West once again.  I was very close to being hired back into the patch in 2014/15, that went poof and won't come back.  Yup, I can imagine the anger, especially seeing Bombardier get sacks of cash while Alberta gets the finger.

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #504 on: May 19, 2017, 20:24:55 »
Also having grown up in Southern Alberta I remember the National Energy Program of nice hair senior.  I remember how hard it was for a long time to find a decent job in those days.  There were those people back then who proposed the Western Canada Concept.  Separatists.  I disliked them then as much as I hated Rene Levesque and his ilk. Still do.  I have been away since 94, but I can appreciate how those feelings might arise in the West once again.  I was very close to being hired back into the patch in 2014/15, that went poof and won't come back.  Yup, I can imagine the anger, especially seeing Bombardier get sacks of cash while Alberta gets the finger.
No anger here from this Albertan/Saskatchewanian. Wasn't angry during Harper's reign either. Just keep on keeping on. Now Trump on the other hand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk