Author Topic: AERE - Space related jobs  (Read 945 times)

Offline shane306

• Rate Post
AERE - Space related jobs
« on: February 28, 2017, 14:33:48 »
Hey everyone,
I have recently applied for the AERE position in the Air Force, and my application has moved forward to the point of having my interview next week. Now i recently graduated with a degree in aerospace engineering and most of my work done was related to spacecrafts/satellites, space robotics etc. I am interested in the space field but also interested in many aspects the military has to offer and want to know if there is any positions or postings related to space available for AERE officers. I did some searching and noticed there were courses such as Basic space operations and Space Applications courses, so i am curious about anything resulting from those.

Also i am aware of possibilities for masters degrees especially for AERE officers, now does the CF choose the subject and you apply to take that subject or do you specific the subject you want to take and request it?

Thanks for any answers.

Online Loachman

• Army Pilot in Drag
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: AERE - Space related jobs
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 17:49:53 »
There are not a lot of AEREs on this Site. Scoobs is the only one who comes to mind.

I did a quick search for threads and posts, and only found two short, well-dated threads that do not answer your question and merged them. They're/it's in Air Force General.

Offline Drake.Kho

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 00:03:11 »
Hey Shane306.
sounds like we're in the same boat, i just completed my interview this week for AERE.
i was told that there's going to be 6 AERE positions open for this coming fiscal year.

From your description, it sounds like you're a Ryerson university graduate.
Recruiting Centre: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade Choice 1: Aerospace Engineering
Trade Choice 2: Electrical and Mechanical Engineering
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date (Online): Aug 31, 2013
Documents Received: Sept 12, 2013
First Contact: Sept 17, 2013
CFAT: Nov 21, 2013 *PASSED
Targeted Interview: Nov 21, 2013
Medical: Mar 1, 2017
Interview: Mar 1, 2017
Reliability Screening: Completed
Merit listed: TBD
Position Offered: TBD
Swear In Ceremony: TBD
BMOQ: TD

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 03:10:05 »
There are AERE officers that do the Remote Sensing Imaging Science Masters at Rochester. This program is about as space focused as you can get.

Offline shane306

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 16:02:23 »
Thanks for the answers, and Drake good luck hopefully we make it past the selection.

Offline VanIslander

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 22:33:23 »
Hey everyone,
I have recently applied for the AERE position in the Air Force, and my application has moved forward to the point of having my interview next week. Now i recently graduated with a degree in aerospace engineering and most of my work done was related to spacecrafts/satellites, space robotics etc. I am interested in the space field but also interested in many aspects the military has to offer and want to know if there is any positions or postings related to space available for AERE officers. I did some searching and noticed there were courses such as Basic space operations and Space Applications courses, so i am curious about anything resulting from those.
The space side of our trade is about to (or perhaps I should say poised to) undergo a significant change in the next few years.  If you are accepted you might just find yourself at a very opportune time to get into space operations.  However, keep in mind that no posting is guaranteed, and the space side of things is small compared to the rest of AERE. 

Also i am aware of possibilities for masters degrees especially for AERE officers, now does the CF choose the subject and you apply to take that subject or do you specific the subject you want to take and request it?
There are several "sponsored" post grad options that basically represent skillsets in areas that are in demand.  However if you do all the admin legwork and can justify how your postgrad of choice will benefit you and DND, then you can do pretty much whatever you want.  I know several people with MBA or other management-type degrees that are not officially sponsored.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 22:36:07 by VanIslander »