Author Topic: How will dual citizenship affect application processing time - Reserves  (Read 530 times)

Offline Pyrrho

• Rate Post
I'm an Iraqi/Canadian citizen. I've been in Canada for almost 8 years (since I was 16 years old). Any idea of the amount of time having dual citizenship would add to my application?

I just passed my Fittness Test/CFAT/Personality Test - all good as of March 20th, 2017 (no medical yet), and I've also successfully completed my Officer Board Review. The application is for an officer position within a local infantry unit.

Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 17:33:36 by Pyrrho »

Offline antisrcen

• Rate Post
My dual citizenship to New Zealand (was born there, but haven't been there in 25 years) didn't affect my application at all. In the recruiter's words "It's New Zealand, not North Korea or Iran, so we may not even bother with that screening".

I'm guessing it's a whole different story if the country is Iraq and it's been south of a decade since you left.

Offline Pyrrho

• Rate Post
Thank you for sharing. I asked that same question at a local reserve unit event. They said that recruitment would look primarily at the last 5 years for the first level of security clearance. Also, being no older than 16 during my time in Iraq helps me out apparently. Anyways, I really hope it works out!

Thanx again.

Offline Volk

• Rate Post
Hey Pyrrho,

I was in the exact same situation last year (I have dual citizenship with Russia), and I had completed all the parts of my application successfully. They just told me to wait and said the verification process could take 6-18 months. Successful verification happened sooner than 6 months but I had just missed the time point where I could do BMQ over weekends. I have recently had my enrolment ceremony with my Reserve regiment at the end of March and should be scheduled for BMQ this summer, but I am yet to know the start date.

Keep in mind that I started applying to the forces in December 2015, and am just now getting to this point. It took longer cause of my background but at the end of the day it should work out for you as long as your record is clean. In fact it will be an advantage for you if you have more languages and cultural experience under your belt later on.

Best,
Volk
Nihil Timendum Est