Author Topic: Don Rickles, 1926-2017, R.I.P.  (Read 683 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Don Rickles, 1926-2017, R.I.P.
« on: April 07, 2017, 05:41:42 »
Rest in Peace, Crapgame ...
Abrasive comic Don Rickles, the honorary Rat Pack member and celebrity roast guest whose career spanned six decades, has died. He was 90.

Rickles died Thursday morning at his home in Los Angeles from kidney failure, his longtime publicist Paul Shefrin confirmed. He would have turned 91 on May 8.

Though he appeared in films and on television, Rickles’ mainstay was always nightclub performances, appearing in Las Vegas and elsewhere into his late 80s. He also found late success as the voice of Mr. Potato Head in the “Toy Story” films, which were exceptional box office performers, and popped up frequently on latenight talkshows.

Rickles’ career had its ups and downs as comedic tastes changed, and his curmudgeonly persona was sometimes out of kilter with audience tastes, but he survived long after many of his contemporaries had disappeared into retirement. And when he was hot, he was a potent club headliner, insulting his audience with his two key signature phrases “dummy” and “hockey puck.” ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Don Rickles, 1926-2017, R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 15:50:36 »
Saw his act in upstate NY back in the '70's. He wore a sharp suit and worked clean. He was funny, without the four-letter words. ( Offstage may have been another story.  :) )

RIP

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 15:53:17 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Online kkwd

• Rate Post
Re: Don Rickles, 1926-2017, R.I.P.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 22:15:23 »
Crapgame from Kelly's Heroes, a great character.

[the lone obstacle to the sought-after gold is a solitary tank guarding the bank]
Crapgame: Then make a DEAL!
Big Joe: What kind of deal?
Crapgame: A DEAL, deal! Maybe the guy's a Republican. "Business is business," right?
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.
                                                                                                                   Yogi Berra