Author Topic: Legal Cannabis Use in the CAF  (Read 8416 times)

Online Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
Legal Cannabis Use in the CAF
« on: April 14, 2017, 15:26:52 »
This is the closest thread I could find to CF recreational Cannabis use in the forces. So with the new proposed regulations just being announced the min age to get high will be set by the province, hopefully not less than 19.I wonder how this will affect us in the CF? I wager this is being looked at. I suspect it will continue to be status quo, zero use, random testing.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 15:43:26 by Chief Stoker »
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Spectrum

• I'm from the government; I'm here to help you
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Legal Cannabis Use in the CAF
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 15:35:07 »
We should go to zero use for anything, including caffeine and alcohol. 

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 16:00:31 »
We should go to zero use for anything, including caffeine and alcohol.

On what grounds?
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Spectrum

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 16:05:46 »
Well if we are going to demonize the smoking of a joint during off-duty hours, should we not also objectively look at the intake of other substances?

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 16:07:10 »
Well if we are going to demonize the smoking of a joint during off-duty hours, should we not also objectively look at the intake of other substances?

Ah - sarcasm.

If pot is as legal as alcohol, then have at 'er is my view - normal caveats apply.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Spectrum

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 16:09:58 »
Couldn't agree more. Cheers.

Offline here4questions

• Rate Post
How will knew marijuana laws effect the military
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 16:53:32 »
Hello,

I am curious on how the new marijuana legislation will effect the military. As it will not be an illicit drug will this mean military members will be permitted to smoke on their free time?

Online Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
Re: How will knew marijuana laws effect the military
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 17:14:05 »
Hello,

I am curious on how the new marijuana legislation will effect the military. As it will not be an illicit drug will this mean military members will be permitted to smoke on their free time?

Hard to say, it very well may allow usage off duty. I would imagine JAG is looking at that right now. On the other hand it very well also may mean that while employed by the military no use is allowed. Being a person who doesn't agree with it except for medical use I would prefer it being kept completely away from the workplace.

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 17:17:38 »
The best answer you will get at this time is speculation.  I would recommend wait and eventually the military will publish direction.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 17:28:30 »
what is this delias tess :-\

Dileas is Gaelic for Faithful.  My regimental motto ($8th Highlander) is Dileas Gu Brath or Faithful forever.

I copied the concept from an old and respected member of the site, who was also member and legend in our regiment.  He passed away many year ago.

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Online Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 17:33:30 »
So anyways there should be a DOAD or something like that coming out at some point addressing use by CF members.

كافر

Offline here4questions

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 17:39:34 »
Sorry I dont know the language. What is a DOAD?

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 17:40:58 »
Hello,

I am curious on how the new marijuana legislation will effect the military.  . . .

I am curious as to the reason for your curiosity.  This will undoubtedly be a contentious issue for the military and (judging by posts in other threads that touch on the subject) will probably elicit some comments that could be taken and used out of context.  There are some on these means (myself included) who are naturally suspicious of individuals who sign on here and, in their first post, pose a question that could (at least to those with the aforementioned suspicious minds) have the ulterior motive of eliciting those comments.  I don't think that I would be far of the mark if I say that most of the more senior members of this forum would be more comfortable discussing the subject if they knew a bit more about where you're coming from.

And, just because I'm pedantic and never really stopped using the red pencil even though I'm no longer an adjutant, those with significant military service are often more likely to have a discussion with those who pay attention to proper grammar and spelling.

"How will knew new marijuana laws effect affect the military"

Of course, if you typed that after using a bit of the bud, it's understandable; so, no problem.

Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 17:41:35 »
Sorry I dont know the language. What is a DOAD?

Defence Administrative Orders and Directives

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 17:49:19 »
here4questions

I see Blackadder1916 beat me to it.  I, too, am curious as to why you have entered the site posting this as your first question, even though we already had a discussion going on such legalities.  If you don't understand the language that the military use, referencing DAOD's, then I suspect that you are not in the military, and perhaps not even in the Recruiting Process.  This raises serious questions among many here who are or were involved with security matters and concerns as part of their occupation.

If you read more on this site, you will find that this is a very touchy and controversial subject.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline here4questions

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 18:01:21 »
I am curious as to the reason for your curiosity.  This will undoubtedly be a contentious issue for the military and (judging by posts in other threads that touch on the subject) will probably elicit some comments that could be taken and used out of context.  There are some on these means (myself included) who are naturally suspicious of individuals who sign on here and, in their first post, pose a question that could (at least to those with the aforementioned suspicious minds) have the ulterior motive of eliciting those comments.  I don't think that I would be far of the mark if I say that most of the more senior members of this forum would be more comfortable discussing the subject if they knew a bit more about where you're coming from.

And, just because I'm pedantic and never really stopped using the red pencil even though I'm no longer an adjutant, those with significant military service are often more likely to have a discussion with those who pay attention to proper grammar and spelling.

"How will knew new marijuana laws effect affect the military"

Of course, if you typed that after using a bit of the bud, it's understandable; so, no problem.

I am a recreational smoker who wants to start a career with the Canadian Navy however i don't want to quit marijuana. I wouldn't mind stopping marijuana for several months while working on ship however when i return home I would like to enjoy a joint. I would quit right now to prepare for basic training but i don't want to quit entirely.

I have been through the recruiting process twice and was turned away because of the marijauna. (I didnt lie on my questionaire) I am by no means trying to stir up any trouble.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 18:59:48 »
I am a recreational smoker who wants to start a career with the Canadian Navy however i don't want to quit marijuana. I wouldn't mind stopping marijuana for several months while working on ship however when i return home I would like to enjoy a joint. I would quit right now to prepare for basic training but i don't want to quit entirely.

I have been through the recruiting process twice and was turned away because of the marijauna. (I didnt lie on my questionaire) I am by no means trying to stir up any trouble.

Thank you for your honesty.  As to your original question, no one on this forum knows what the effects will be.  And if perchance someone on these means was involved in any of the very, very, very early planning of how the CF would have to accommodate this proposed legislative change, they would not tell you .  Remember, this is still only "proposed" legislation - it has only had first reading in the House.  It will mostly likely be passed in the time frame given by the government, but, until then, cannabis is still illegal for recreational use.

The only comments you will likely receive concerning your personal situation would be speculation, and probably not even informed speculation.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 12:14:43 »
What will DND's policy be regarding the possibility to harvest four small plants at home (PMQ's) when the legislation is passed? Or in community garden plots if any?
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Editor, The Devils' Blast, the Annual Chronicle of The Royal Winnipeg Rifles

http://www.royalwinnipegrifles.com/regimental-association/the-devils-blast/

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 12:17:15 »
What will DND's policy be regarding the possibility to harvest four small plants at home (PMQ's) when the legislation is passed? Or in community garden plots if any?

Probably should be the same policy as we have for PMQ residents that brew their own beer......

None of our business.

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 12:19:38 »
Probably should be the same policy as we have for PMQ residents that brew their own beer......

None of our business.

Just don't come to work stoned....
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Online Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 12:43:06 »
I'm surprised that this isn't a more active threat...

The issue with even recreational use in the CAF, IMO, is this:

Alcohol and Cannabis have a peculiar inverse correlation with respect to dosage and lethality, and dosage and inebriation.

A large amount of alcohol will kill you, even in one sitting; a large amount of cannabis, even in one sitting, will not.

However:

A small amount of alcohol (i.e. a beer) will have zero (or very little) noticeable psychological affect on those consuming it (obviously, that's not always the case, some people do get inebriated after one drink); a small amount of cannabis, on the other hand, will have an immediate inebriating affect. Sure, this might not be true of someone who has developed a tolerance, but we're talking about CAF members here. I'd hope that even if it was made permissible recreationally, that they wouldn't all start lighting up on a daily basis.

So, I can have one beer and go back to work and feel fine, but I imagine that if I smoked a joint at lunch I think that I'd be noticeably inebriated for the rest of the afternoon.

If we allow occasional (i.e. outside of work) recreational use of cannabis in the FORCES, I think you're going to see a measurable increase in unauthorized use of cannabis both before or during work (i.e. lunch). Since even a small amount can have a significant inebriating affect, I think this is dangerous.

Once cannabis becomes legal at large, I think you will be hard pressed to successfully convict members of the CAF for using it recreationally on weekends/after hours (just my opinion, I have no legal trg to confirm this).  So, my recommendation would be to leave it as is; illegal in the CAF. Once legal in Canada, use will go up, charges and convictions in the military will go down, but we'll still have the tools we need to deal with those who abuse.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 13:02:16 by Lumber »
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 12:54:01 »
I honestly think that it will take time for the CAF to catch up to whatever legislation is put in place.  So while it might be legalised in Canada, it might still be a service offence.  Now whether it gets enforced is another matter.
Optio

Online RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 13:47:57 »
It makes sense that if you're impaired you can not be on duty. Hence, smoking  marijuana at lunch and/or before duty would most likely make you unfit for duty. Ingesting marijuana on the weekend should be good to go as members can also become very impaired using and abusing alcohol. We serve the nation and marihuana is to be legalized. Could be problematic for the CAF to state members can not use marijuana in their off time. It will be very interesting going forward to see how the military, Emergency Services, civil servants handle this for employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 14:25:53 »
You be able to smoke it outside of the barracks in Shilo, in -30, that should encourage use  [:p

Seriously though I would not want to smell it if living in the barracks, let them eat it inside or smoke it outside.

Keep in mind also for future users that insurance agencies will consider you a "smoker" if you use pot and will adjust your premiums accordingly. Not telling them you smoke could invalidate your future claims.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 14:33:52 »

A large amount of alcohol will kill you, even in one sitting; a large amount of cannabis, even in one sitting, will not.

A large amount of anything could be fatal.  I know of a case from my youth, of two young guys sitting on a step of their residence drinking large quantities of water becoming 'intoxicated', and one of them having a fatal overdose.  (Not being a medical expert, I can not remember the name of this condition on the body's blood. -- It was discussed in another thread.) 

A small amount of alcohol (i.e. a beer) will have zero (or very little) noticeable psychological affect on those consuming it (obviously, that's not always the case, some people do get inebriated after one drink); a small amount of cannabis, on the other hand, will have an immediate inebriating affect. Sure, this might not be true of someone who has developed a tolerance, but we're talking about CAF members here. I'd hope that even if it was made permissible recreationally, that they wouldn't all start lighting up on a daily basis.

Then we apply similar rules as already exist in reference to alcohol and "no consumption X hours prior to driving a military vehicle".

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.