Effective immediately, Staff privileges have been removed from all accounts.
There are a lot of motivations behind this change, but primarily I feel we have stagnated. Army.ca is a community that was built on a spirit of cooperation and helpful volunteerism. However we have reached a point where for some, the Staff title is a burden. It constrains participation and seems to have become synonymous with "enforcement" instead of "encouragement."
Worse, I have seen a growing feeling of "us and them" from Staff and users alike. As if, somehow, the Staff have become the enemy instead of the guardians. Let me be clear: There is no "them," we are part of the same community, all of us.
With this move, I am cleaning the slate. Anyone who is interested - including previous Staff - must PM me with a request to volunteer as Staff moving forward. I have created some highlights of what is expected of any new Staff volunteers:
- You are here to serve and assist the site and it's members. Staff have special powers, and these must be used exclusively to provide assistance and maintain order on the site.
- You must be impartial. Part of our existing issue was real and perceived partiality. And it went both ways, with some users targeting some Staff on a regular basis.
- You must be reliable. As Staff you will have access to personal information (email addresses, details of complaints against other members, etc.). We must never mishandle this information it or abuse the trust afforded us.
- You should be knowledgeable. You need not have served, however you should bring some experience, insight or capability to the table.
- You must not bring drama and politics into the Staff world. If you already have a history of this type of thing on the site, you're probably not what we need.
- The amount of time you can volunteer is not important. Some will have a great deal of time to give, others very little. It is the intent behind the volunteerism that matters.
If you feel strongly about being "part of the solution" moving forward, please PM me
. Keep it short, why you think you can help us set a new direction. I intend to be fairly open to new offers, possibly trimming back in time if we grow too fast or some Staff just don't work out.No Staff will be added for at least a week.
In that time, the site will be unmoderated, save myself. This is not carte blanche to run wild. Please respect that I will have very limited availability to respond, but will tackle high priority items as soon as I can. In addition to my family and three jobs (no joke), I am preparing the server rebuild so my time will be very limited. I'm sure by the end of the week, there will be a renewed appreciation for the Staff's "behind the scenes" work.
Don't kid yourself, this will be no small task. The Staff have put in literally thousands of hours of often tedious, stressful work. Occasionally there is thanks, but more often you will find folks eager to armchair quarterback your decisions and file complaints about what you did wile volunteering your Saturday night.
Finally, I would like to thank all of the Staff that have helped us get here. Your volunteered time built Army.ca into what it is today, and I am deeply honoured to have worked with you. This new direction does not denigrate the countless hours, the emergency sessions, the timely advice that nobody else was privy to, and so much more. I count you all as friends and I hope you remain active here in whatever capacity you choose. Please know that this action is not personal, nor directed at any one individual or situation. I suspect most Staff, if they make an honest assessment, will realize that "it was time."
I look forward to facing the challenges ahead together, as a community focused on making things better.