Author Topic: Random Drug testing  (Read 831 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Random Drug testing
« on: April 29, 2017, 09:12:01 »
Saw the 27-page "Drug use/drug testing in the CF (merged)", and 48-page "Merged drugs thread (previous use, testing, etc.)" and other discussions.

Adding this here, in case anyone is interested, 

April 3, 2017

Court upholds TTC’s random drug-testing policy
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/04/03/court-upholds-ttcs-random-drug-testing-policy.html
Transit agency plans to start random checks of employees later this month, after judge dismisses union’s attempt to secure injunction.

Despite dismissing Local 113’s application, Justice Marrocco ruled that should the arbitration eventually find in favour of the union, the TTC could compensate employees affected by the policy by paying them damages.

Under current policies, the TTC can test employees for alcohol or drug use only under specific circumstances, including following a work-related incident, when a worker returns from substance abuse treatment, or when there is “reasonable cause” to believe an employee is impaired.

The new policy will allow the agency to randomly test employees in safety-sensitive positions, as well as certain management and executive positions, including the CEO. The test for alcohol will be administered by a breathalyzer, while workers’ saliva will be tested for drugs using a swab.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:16:27 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
Re: Drug testing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 10:52:01 »
What sort of jobs or tasks in the Canadian Forces could be considered safety sensitive? Soldier in the field, pilot, ammo tech?
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Random Drug testing
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 11:24:56 »
Anybody in a High Readiness Unit, anybody operating or in charge of machinery or weapons as part of their normal duties would be my first kick at a definition for us.

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 11:29:51 »
Anybody in a High Readiness Unit, anybody operating or in charge of machinery or weapons as part of their normal duties would be my first kick at a definition for us.

That is what I thought, pretty much everyone who is on ship as well, including air crew.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
Re: Drug testing
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 11:57:04 »
This is only my opinion.

I think the CAF will have something in place come 01 July 18. I also think the new rules will follow pretty closely to what we already have for alcohol and other legal drugs.

I also think the first few years, whether civie or military, the original laws will continually morph as more and more becomes known through real, substantial and peer reviewed research on cannabis.

Much research has already been done by Israel on the subject. There is no reason why the CAF could not contact their counterparts there and get their thoughts on a way ahead.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-reservists-can-use-medical-pot/

The IDF has decided to allow reserve soldiers who hold a prescription for medical marijuana to continue to use the medication even while they are performing their active reserve duty, it was reported on Monday.

The decision affects just a few hundred reserve soldiers, and the army has not published exact guidelines, leaving open the questions such as smoking in uniform or in the presence of other soldiers, where on a base it would be permissible to smoke, and whether marijuana use would be allowed during operations, Channel 2 reported.

“Medical cannabis is given to treat various diseases under the civilian system,” the IDF noted, and the fitness of a citizen to undergo reserve duty is based on “medical condition, not on cannabis consumption.”

The army is currently examining in greater depth the use of medical marijuana among soldiers, the IDF said. The report noted that use of medical marijuana among non-reserve soldiers, i.e., those doing their regular active-duty service or careerists, has not been explicitly approved, although according to the IDF, the issue is under consideration.

The issue of medical marijuana use among reservists was first raised during a recent forum discussion on “Cannibus,” a marijuana-focused Israeli website, prompting a formal query to the IDF.

Israel is generally considered to have one of the most forward-thinking and advanced medical marijuana programs in the world, and much of the major scientific research into marijuana is carried out by Israeli institutions. A University of Haifa study, whose results were released earlier this month, indicated that cannabis could help keep PTSD under control.

There are around 20,000 patients who have a prescription, which are typically only given out only for serious ailments where marijuana has been shown to have a beneficial effect.

In recent years the popularity of the medical marijuana program has increased exponentially, and the Health Ministry announced in early 2014 a 2-year study into its effects and benefits. The ministry said in March around 50 new prescriptions are given out each week

I've posted this link before. The company that provides my medicine is Tikum-Olam (Heb: "repairing the world") a world leader in the realm of medical cannabis http://www.tikun-olam.info/ Spend some time and read everything under Medical Info. For those that are not up on the medical applications and restrictions of the medicine, it'll be enlightening. For those that have past knowledge, you might spot improvements, new info, clarification on your biases whether pro or con, etc.

I believe though that everyone read it before posting, if for no other reason than simple education on the subject. Perhaps it will move things along and bring the two sides closer together in their understanding.

Whatever the case, I'm sure we're going to see extreme ideas from both sides. The CAF has always seemed incapable of ever getting it right the first time and others will be waving the Charter around.

Hopefully, they can meet in the middle. The problem being is that it's a volatile and very personal subject. Tons of drugs used by the CAF impose restrictions on members.

How many service members still go to work like nothing is wrong, driving their cars, carriers, whatever, while the pill bottle in their pocket that says "Do not operate heavy machinery. Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication" while having a beer with their buds after running their carrier around the training area?

Someone is always going to be disappointed. Government lawyers, JAG, the CAF and SJW will all have their version and it'll take time to harmonize and standardize.

Whatever their stance, they can't espouse it or defend it if they're ignorant of the subject. Education needs to take place first. Then people can decide how to deal with it.

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 15:05:53 »
Replying to a post in another forum regarding random drug testing of employees.

I can see why the oil patch drug test their workers'. 

Do they do random testing on their workers? Has a final decision been made?

Suncor Energy Inc., Oil Sands’ attempt to implement random alcohol and drug testing of safety-sensitive employees at Suncor oil sands operations was recently rejected by the Alberta Arbitration Board after hearing a grievance filed by Unifor, Local 707A, representing Suncor employees at its Fort McMurray operations. The Board found Suncor’s Policy to be an unreasonable exercise of management rights.
http://cenera.ca/a-landmark-ruling-on-random-drug-and-alcohol-testing-in-alberta-is-the-door-completely-closed-blog/

Suncor’s drug and alcohol policy given another chance by appeal court
http://www.hrreporter.com/article/28071-suncors-drug-and-alcohol-policy-given-another-chance-by-appeal-court/
The appeal court quashed the arbitration board’s decision against Suncor’s alcohol and drug testing policy and remitted the case back for arbitration by a fresh panel.

Some info fairly  recently on the legalization and oil company concerns.

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/news/energy/blog.html?b=business.financialpost.com/news/energy/there-is-already-madness-brewing-in-the-oilpatch-over-ottawas-reefer-legalization&pubdate=2016-09-02

That is dated Sept. 1, 2016.

12/22/2016
"The appeal court quashed the arbitration board’s decision against Suncor’s alcohol and drug testing policy and remitted the case back for arbitration by a fresh panel."

Suncor's random drug testing arbitratration seems to be in limbo, unless it has been settled in 2017?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 08:55:52 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww