Author Topic: The Woodworking Thread  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
Re: The Woodworking Thread
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 07:18:03 »
Haha aint that the truth. I also love when 9er domestic makes a specific request and I use it as an excuse to get some new tools :D

Yup.

Circular saw, chop saw (the one I'll sell at some point soon), recip saw, router, and a bunch of non-powered stuff all financed by home renos.

Re: Mastercraft: I am fond of their hand tools with the exception of hammers, can't beat the warranty. I also have a flooring nailer from them that has served me well so far - and will again very soon!

One of the things I have been reading a lot on lately is butterfly inlays. I am likely going to suck out and order a template and then tackle buying bushings to go and practice. Since I work a lot with planks, I need to prevent end splits. In fact, I think my last load - about 30 three foot two inch thick slabs meant to do salmon but left unused - might be lost due to me not properly treating the ends before drying them. >:( Good lesson. Thankfully I have some ideas of how to use the (now) scrap: http://www.instructables.com/id/Scrap-Wood-End-Grain-End-Table-How-to-Build/

Instructables.com: rabbit hole indeed.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 07:33:17 »
Yup.

Circular saw, chop saw (the one I'll sell at some point soon), recip saw, router, and a bunch of non-powered stuff all financed by home renos.

Re: Mastercraft: I am fond of their hand tools with the exception of hammers, can't beat the warranty. I also have a flooring nailer from them that has served me well so far - and will again very soon!

One of the things I have been reading a lot on lately is butterfly inlays. I am likely going to suck out and order a template and then tackle buying bushings to go and practice. Since I work a lot with planks, I need to prevent end splits. In fact, I think my last load - about 30 three foot two inch thick slabs meant to do salmon but left unused - might be lost due to me not properly treating the ends before drying them. >:( Good lesson. Thankfully I have some ideas of how to use the (now) scrap: http://www.instructables.com/id/Scrap-Wood-End-Grain-End-Table-How-to-Build/

Instructables.com: rabbit hole indeed.
Pretty close to the same haha!

I got the mastercraft flooring nailer when it was on sale at CT. Cheaper to buy it then it was to rent one for a few days to do the floors in the house. Now I have one to do floors at the next posting :D

My latest project wasnt so much just wood working but was tearing out an old shower/tub one piece fibreglass unit, reframing and installing a tub and nice tile all around.

My wife loves the tiled look, has gotten me to do a few back splashes and floors now. The wet tile saw was a nice addition :)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 07:40:33 »
Pretty close to the same haha!

I got the mastercraft flooring nailer when it was on sale at CT. Cheaper to buy it then it was to rent one for a few days to do the floors in the house. Now I have one to do floors at the next posting :D

Great minds. My initial thought was to do the floors and sell the thing for close to what I paid on sale. Glad I kept it as I have two rooms to do in the new house!

My latest project wasnt so much just wood working but was tearing out an old shower/tub one piece fibreglass unit, reframing and installing a tub and nice tile all around.

My wife loves the tiled look, has gotten me to do a few back splashes and floors now. The wet tile saw was a nice addition :)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I have always stopped short of anything related to tile. I have to reconsider for the new place as it will need the bathroom done at some point...this is where it helps having talented buddies who like to drink beer :nod:
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 17:26:11 »
I guess that's the downside of doing it yourself once; then it becomes the norm!  Nice change of pace though.

I was a bit leary with tiles until I got a friend to help me out with the first bit and realized it was pretty easy.  Have since redone a bathroom, some backsplashes, and planning another bathroom complete overhaul this summer, with a lot of tile.  The on sale CT wet tile saw has paid for itself several times over now!

Offline FJAG

• Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Wolf Riedel Google+ Page
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 18:30:38 »
I guess that's the downside of doing it yourself once; then it becomes the norm!  Nice change of pace though.

I was a bit leary with tiles until I got a friend to help me out with the first bit and realized it was pretty easy.  Have since redone a bathroom, some backsplashes, and planning another bathroom complete overhaul this summer, with a lot of tile.  The on sale CT wet tile saw has paid for itself several times over now!

Ditto to that. The tile laying process is very simple if you follow some simple instructions and there are tons of YouTube videos to show you how. You definitely need a good range of tools though and luckily they are not too expensive. I got my wet saw on sale at Cdn Tire for around $50 and I see you can get one at Home Depot for around $77 - for most home improvement projects you wont need one of those $500 ones.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 13:10:10 »
Found this while planning out my summer (need to regrade my back patio to slope away from the house), looks pretty easy.

Also the cut plans are pretty handy; normally I do this by hand on a grid paper (to scale, because I'm OCD like that) but I understand there is software that can do that now.

https://www.buildsomething.com/plans/P5DAC6A8E2D6C2FA7/ConvertiblePicnicTableandBench

One thing I noticed is that they give the actual dimensions for the wood vice the standard framing sizes (ie 1.5 x 3.5 vice 2x4). I think the software probably differentiates between construction lumber and milled boards. 

The site is sponsored by Kreg, so some of their plans have their jigs etc on them.  Having said that, I have their pocket hole jig and it's well worth the price.  I somehow lost the double pocket hole jig and some bar clamps during the last move (hoping the new home owners is enjoying them) but the single one works great as well.

Currently downloading Sketchup Make (the freeware version for personal use) and also came across the builder plugin.  Looks like it can generate a cutlist for all the materials, so planning on playing around with it a bit to see if all of this is any faster than my current method (figure out what I want in my head, measure space, play around with dimensions in head, sketch on graph paper to scale, layout cut plan on graph paper).

I've seen people go crazy and generate 3D layouts of the space, do full 3D models to scale, and then drop them in the space and tweak it on the screen until they get what they want.  Would make sense if I was building it for someone else, but I can do that in my head, so gives me something to do on the bus on my commute.