Author Topic: References on my application Superthread- Merged  (Read 328956 times)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: The " Reference" Superthread- Merged
« Reply #675 on: September 06, 2016, 12:56:01 »
Hi,

I'm required to put 4 references on my enrollment paper, before doing my CFAT test. Since the references can't be a friend, a member of my family, a coworker or a neighbor, i'm left with pretty much nobody to write. I've been off school for like 10+ years, pretty sure my old teachers don't even remember me, and I dont really remember their names either. What should I do? I can enter my current boss, but beside that i'm pretty much FUBAR.
Can an ex coworker or members of my girlfriend's family be valid?

Thanks!

Re-read the instructions, understand them and follow them.

Read this whole thread and take advice from the posts in it.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline newt_recruit

• Rate Post
« Reply #676 on: September 10, 2016, 22:04:58 »
Can I use someone from more than five years ago?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #677 on: September 11, 2016, 11:29:10 »
Can I use someone from more than five years ago?

Have you read this thread at all?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Morgan822

• Rate Post
Background check
« Reply #678 on: September 14, 2016, 15:42:39 »
Good day,

This may be a tough question to answer seeing how garda is the one who does the security check, but would anyone know if references are contacted at the start of the check or towards the completion?
Applied: October 2015
First contact: October 2015
CFAT: June 2016
Medical: July 21st 2016
Interview: July 21st 2016
Background check completed: September 2016
Merit listed: October 4th 2016 (infantry)
Position offered: October 14th Infantry
Swear in: November 3rd
BMQ: November 14th

Offline mjk8390

• Rate Post
Having a difficulty finding four references..
« Reply #679 on: November 02, 2016, 09:59:11 »
Hi,

I am 24 years old and am planning to apply rotp next year.
I am trying to find four references who have known me for at least the last 5 continuous years (either individually or combination), but I can only think of one professor who had known me from 2012~2013.
From 2013~2016, I took 3 gap years from a university due to a family issue and was unsociable at that time, so I don't know anyone who can cover this timeline.
I am resuming my university as a second-year student this year and trying my best to get involved in extracurricular activities and physical activities. I am wondering if I could use people whom I met back in my high school years (but I haven't contacted them for years) as references.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #680 on: November 02, 2016, 19:08:52 »
The only stipulation on References is that they have known you for five years.  It does not state "when" that five years was, nor "where" they may live. 

For a Clearance I had to list a neighbour who had known me.  As I had moved recently to a new city, I had to use a neighbour from my old town who had known me for over ten years. 

Offline lohocard

• Rate Post
  • Figuring everything out
« Reply #681 on: March 28, 2017, 18:54:25 »
This could already be somewhere, but in case anybody wanted to know more about the recruiting centre contacting your employers, if they can't reach them, you can send in all of your T4 slips to the recruiting centre and avoid the annoyance of calling all of your employers. I just did that today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TrunkMonkey315

• Rate Post
« Reply #682 on: March 29, 2017, 13:02:11 »
The only stipulation on References is that they have known you for five years.  It does not state "when" that five years was, nor "where" they may live. 

For a Clearance I had to list a neighbour who had known me.  As I had moved recently to a new city, I had to use a neighbour from my old town who had known me for over ten years.

I spoke to the recruiting centre about references when I was re-enrolling last year, I was informed they will accept references that have known you for less than 5 years. The Cpl I spoke to said they don't want to see all references that have only known you for a few months. Having one or two that have known you less than the 5 was acceptable. I had listed a reference that had known me for 4.

Offline clmarr

• Rate Post
« Reply #683 on: April 06, 2017, 11:08:12 »
In my case, I was told I needed to cover the last 5 years continuously. It didn't matter if I had known them for less than 5 years. The only thing that mattered is, I needed to be under their supervision (as an employer, teacher or mentor) for different periods over the last 5 years, without interruption. I received a call because despite the fact I had 4 references, I had one period of time that was not covered by any of them. I needed to provide an extra reference who was my employer/teacher during that specific period.
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: AVS
Trade Choice 2: AVN
Trade Choice 3: ACS
Online Application: Nov 29, 2016
First Contact: Nov 30, 2016
CFAT: Jan 18, 2017
Lasik surgery: Feb 13, 2017
Reliability Interview / Pre-Security Interview: July 26, 2017
Medical:
Interview:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing In:
BMQ:

Offline John Kanaka

• Rate Post
« Reply #684 on: April 06, 2017, 11:21:35 »
>:( Beware of third party company (Mintz Global Screening, formerly Garda) and their bogus reference checks >:(

My application file, although entirely completed, has been sitting on my MCC's desk for weeks now because Mintz Global Screening allegedly failed to contact BOTH my employment references via phone AND email. As per the notes that they sent back to my CFRC, they mentioned that they also failed to contact me in an attempt to notify me about the matter.

For weeks I was going to my CFRC and the recruiters at the front desk were telling me that my file was complete and the only thing left to do was have the MCC sign off on it. Finally, I received a call on April 3rd from a senior file manager informing me about the situation. He told me that its not the first time this has happened and that he strongly believes the third party company is falsifying the reference checks in many cases.

Fortunately, he was kind enough to take the matter on personally and my MCC agreed to contact my employment references without sending my file back to Mintz. I was also told that the CAF recruitment agencies will no longer be using Mintz as of next year.

As a warning to the fellow hopeful recruits, keep a close eye on how your reference checks are being handled.

On the other hand, I commend the individuals working my file at my CFRC, and I am very happy they brought this to my attention. As of April 3rd, one of my two employment references, if not both, have already been contacted.

I am 24 years old and am planning to apply rotp next year.
I am trying to find four references who have known me for at least the last 5 continuous years (either individually or combination), but I can only think of one professor who had known me from 2012~2013.

Try to get in touch with a high school teacher that would still know you by name if they saw you, talk to them and inform them of your plans. Just because you haven't seen them for the past 3 years doesn't mean they technically haven't known you for 5. If you have at least one person that has known you for 5 years (high school teacher), chances are they won't call anybody else, meaning your other 3 references don't have to cover extensive time lines.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:44:30 by John Kanaka »

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #685 on: April 11, 2017, 12:42:59 »
In my case, I was told I needed to cover the last 5 years continuously. It didn't matter if I had known them for less than 5 years. The only thing that mattered is, I needed to be under their supervision (as an employer, teacher or mentor) for different periods over the last 5 years, without interruption. I received a call because despite the fact I had 4 references, I had one period of time that was not covered by any of them. I needed to provide an extra reference who was my employer/teacher during that specific period.

You're confusing references with employment history.  A reference is simply someone who can vouch for your character and can be just about anyone who has known you for at least five years.  You can use past employers/supervisors as references, but your references need not have anything to do with your past employment.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline clmarr

• Rate Post
« Reply #686 on: April 13, 2017, 11:09:37 »
Thanks for the clarification, I indeed confused one with the other.
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: AVS
Trade Choice 2: AVN
Trade Choice 3: ACS
Online Application: Nov 29, 2016
First Contact: Nov 30, 2016
CFAT: Jan 18, 2017
Lasik surgery: Feb 13, 2017
Reliability Interview / Pre-Security Interview: July 26, 2017
Medical:
Interview:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Swearing In:
BMQ:

Offline OzzyA

• Rate Post
Re: References on my application Superthread- Merged
« Reply #687 on: May 24, 2017, 17:45:20 »
Hello everyone,

Since the reference instructions state the following, I have a few issues:

"Members of your family or relatives, family friends, friends, neighbours, co-workers or peers are not considered valid references.
Your references, either individually or in combination, must have known you for at least the last five (5) continuous years."

I have spent three years studying in Europe and cannot adequately provide sources for the past three years. I had no relationship with my professors, and have not worked in those three years. I can try to find my high school vice-principal for my reference from four to five years back, however, I cannot proceed without filling in these three years. I've thought long and hard and cannot think of a single prof that knows my name (I was a quiet one in class that never spoke).

Are my chances of entering the Forces nill now that I've got virtually no references for that period of time?

Note: References must be:

a. Educational references: these persons are former or current teachers, professors, coaches, instructors, or trainers;
b. Professional references: these persons are former or current supervisors, managers, foremen, advisors, or employers; or
c. Personal references: these persons can be a minister, clergyman, mentor, counsellor, or community leader.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #688 on: May 24, 2017, 19:06:41 »
Hello everyone,

Since the reference instructions state the following, I have a few issues:

"Members of your family or relatives, family friends, friends, neighbours, co-workers or peers are not considered valid references.
Your references, either individually or in combination, must have known you for at least the last five (5) continuous years."

I have spent three years studying in Europe and cannot adequately provide sources for the past three years. I had no relationship with my professors, and have not worked in those three years. I can try to find my high school vice-principal for my reference from four to five years back, however, I cannot proceed without filling in these three years. I've thought long and hard and cannot think of a single prof that knows my name (I was a quiet one in class that never spoke).

Are my chances of entering the Forces nill now that I've got virtually no references for that period of time?

Note: References must be:

a. Educational references: these persons are former or current teachers, professors, coaches, instructors, or trainers;
b. Professional references: these persons are former or current supervisors, managers, foremen, advisors, or employers; or
c. Personal references: these persons can be a minister, clergyman, mentor, counsellor, or community leader.

I used references that didn't exactly fit into those criteria, but they were still accepted.

There are answers earlier in this thread and there should also be some in the link below to help you along.

http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=106340.0
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline FlyLikeAnEagle

• Rate Post
Question
« Reply #689 on: May 24, 2017, 19:45:04 »
Bonjourno.

So, i talked to my PO2 today and she said that my application was in the hands of the MCC (Military Career Counselor) and should know fairly soon. They talked to my references (one of them was on vacation when they called but haven't called him back *she said that the other 3 references could've been suffice enough to vouch for me **one told me that he gave me a good recommendation***) and all...so I'm curious...does it sound promising or what? Is the MCC's "okay, check +, 👍 really the last step?

Any feedback would be beasts.
FLAE

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Re: Question
« Reply #690 on: May 24, 2017, 20:22:52 »
Bonjourno.

So, i talked to my PO2 today and she said that my application was in the hands of the MCC (Military Career Counselor) and should know fairly soon. They talked to my references (one of them was on vacation when they called but haven't called him back *she said that the other 3 references could've been suffice enough to vouch for me **one told me that he gave me a good recommendation***) and all...so I'm curious...does it sound promising or what? Is the MCC's "okay, check +, 👍 really the last step?

FLAE

"Beasts?" I guess I'm getting too old to keep up with the latest 'hip' lingo circulating these days...

Using professional language and tone when posting/seeking answers can go a long way on this site.

I'll leave it up to a user specializing in Recruiting to see if they'd like to offer their opinion.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #691 on: May 25, 2017, 12:13:35 »
Bonjourno.

FLAE

In most cases the Reliability Check is the last step prior to making it to "Ready for Competition List"; however if you have medical issues outstanding than the last step could be the RMO.  Everyone's file is slightly different so your best bet is to speak with your Recruiter/File Manager to find out if you are being placed into the "Ready for Competition List".

While there are users on here who have extensive Recruiting knowledge, the best source of information on your file is always your recruiting centre.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #692 on: May 25, 2017, 17:03:26 »
They were really quick to contact my references, they've already finished my reference check but I have my medical tomorrow and my interview got bumped to monday due to a scheduling error. One less thing to worry about I guess.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline Northstar86

• Rate Post
« Reply #693 on: July 15, 2017, 23:12:47 »
>:( Beware of third party company (Mintz Global Screening, formerly Garda) and their bogus reference checks >:(

My application file, although entirely completed, has been sitting on my MCC's desk for weeks now because Mintz Global Screening allegedly failed to contact BOTH my employment references via phone AND email. As per the notes that they sent back to my CFRC, they mentioned that they also failed to contact me in an attempt to notify me about the matter.

For weeks I was going to my CFRC and the recruiters at the front desk were telling me that my file was complete and the only thing left to do was have the MCC sign off on it. Finally, I received a call on April 3rd from a senior file manager informing me about the situation. He told me that its not the first time this has happened and that he strongly believes the third party company is falsifying the reference checks in many cases.

Fortunately, he was kind enough to take the matter on personally and my MCC agreed to contact my employment references without sending my file back to Mintz. I was also told that the CAF recruitment agencies will no longer be using Mintz as of next year.

As a warning to the fellow hopeful recruits, keep a close eye on how your reference checks are being handled.

Mintz failed royally on my check too! Thank you for posting this, I have been extra diligent about getting updates from my recruiter because of your post!

Last week he replied saying that Mintz was unable to get a hold of my current employer, which was completely false. She called me as soon as she sent back their form after their phone call and told me all about it. They also said that they were unable to contact a former company I did contract work for, which after speaking with the employer I think may not be true either as he was adamant that they call back every number regardless if a voicemail is left.

So what Mintz wanted me to do was provide T4's or ROE's as proof of employment...maybe instead of them actually doing what they are paid for? I don't know, very frustrating on my end.

Also magically on Friday, two of my references that had not been contacted got a call.

Moral of the story; Follow up on a regular basis with you references and your recruiter!

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #694 on: July 27, 2017, 09:24:56 »
Hi Northstar, I'm going to be sending you a PM on here, please make sure to check your PM inbox.