Author Topic: Drugs thread - previous use, testing, etc..[MERGED]  (Read 470098 times)

Offline Bert

• Rate Post
  • Military
Re: CF Medical Tests
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2003, 00:06:00 »
They look for a number of medical and non-medical charatertics, infections, imbalances and substances in the urine. Yes they check for the use of drugs, but also various deseases, infections, and imbalances create conditions in the urine that can be assessed chemically.  I doubt its super comprehensive though, just a rough check to see if the body is functioning well.  Usually everthing you consume or process through the body goes through the Willy.

timbit

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2003, 11:45:00 »
The reason I did not leave is because I only had one Medical in mind that night by the girl I was with. I would find it hard to believe that none of you have done somthing  stupid to get a peice of A^%. It‘s part of being a guy the little head wins most of the time

Im not a pot head I can count the amount of times I have smoked it.

Thanks for the info Bert much appreciated(spelling)

WINDWOLF

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2003, 12:31:00 »
Well,well,well, so i am not the only guy to think with my dink.Timbit, if you want to get anywhere in the service,start thinking with the other end.

Excuses like that may get you somewhere with the boys bit not with the officers/nco,s.Made the same mistake like you & served 6 mounths less a day @club edmonton.Not a enjoyable experiance.

Learn from my screw-up.I agree with Marauder,go big or stay @home.  :warstory:    :cdn:

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2003, 12:35:00 »
If you test positive for drugs, they don‘t care if it‘s second hand or not. The main reason for that is that there‘s no way to prove it. Even a single joint smoked can take up to a month to get out of your system. If you‘re considering joining, wait at least a month until you go for the medical, and avoid pot (second hand or otherwise) completely.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

timbit

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2003, 12:56:00 »
It was stupid but also it was only second hand. I should have nothing to worry about.

Thanks guys

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2003, 14:46:00 »
but also it was only second hand. I should have nothing to worry about  
Isn‘t that what Ross said at Salt Lake when they came for his Gold Medal?
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Danno

"Lifestyle cannabis smoker"?!
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2003, 17:44:00 »
Okay, so I go in to the armoury for the REG. mental and physical aptitude testing. After taking and passing the mental testing we were all given a form on which to fill in our previous drug use. We are warned to make sure that we are completely honest because if we are found to be lying we will be immediately discharged. So, I fill mine out to the very best of my knowledge.
Ah… yes, Marijuana. Memories of those dazed and confused days in high school come flooding back and were recorded honestly on to the form. It has now been 4 years since high school and my frequent use of the plant. Since then I have only partaken if it was being passed around at a party. I certainly don’t buy it or use it regularly. I even promised myself I would not do it again when I decided to join the army, knowing full well the military restrictions on cannabis use. As it turns out, because that section of my form was filled in, I was asked to stay behind and have a chat with the officer in charge of the testing. He frowned and asked me about the frequency of my cannabis use since high school. “Well, I don’t know?” I said. So he asks me to tell him on average how many times a month I do it. I only do it at parties and I don’t go to more than a dozen parties a year, so I decide that if it has to be averaged then I guess its once a month. I was informed that this is, by CF standards, the frequency of a “Lifestyle Cannabis Smoker” and that I, therefore, cannot be trusted. I was told to return in 6 months and reapply.

My issues are: I AM NOT A “LIFESYLE SMOKER”! I do not want to wait 6 months!(I have already waited long enough!) I don’t know what to do and I need to know what I can do to change my situation.

I know I will make an excellent soldier if I am just given the chance.

I am hoping that this has just been a misunderstanding.

Please help!

Thank you,

Danno

shaunlin41

Re: "Lifestyle cannabis smoker"?!
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2003, 18:17:00 »
Listen, there is nothing you can do for right now.
This is something that you should have thought about before, to be a good soldier requires discipline and commitment something which you have shown you do not have.  you knew weed was not accepted and yet you still chose to use it.
I commend you on your honesty but hopefully a good lesson was learned and you can stay away from it for 6 months and then re apply.

WINDWOLF

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2003, 18:42:00 »
Unfortunately Danno, Born is right.
You are screwed for 6.
High marks for the honesty.
There is no way to fight it,the army has
spoken & subject is closed for discussions.
Do your 6 & re-apply,do not back slide on your
promise to yourself & you will be good to go.

Sorry man.

Regards.

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2003, 06:33:00 »
I am hoping that this has just been a misunderstanding.

I don‘t think so... you knew pot was illegal, still you chose to use it.

Please help!

WHAT !?!?!? Someday, when you grow up, you will understand that we are responsible for our own actions. Accept the consequences.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Pte Lickers

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2003, 11:23:00 »
All I can say is when you quit the first ttime you should have quit for good.  None of this passed around at parties ****.  I abused marijuana for the first three years of high school and then realized how retarded I was for doing it.  Three times day makes you dumber then a frozen rope and ill never regrow the burnt out pathways in my brain compleltly to where they were before.  I highly regret every drug I did in my teens and relaize not how stupid I was.

I quit cold turkey a year before Iknew I would be in and told the interviewer about my past use opf drugs.  He told me with my past they woulkd have to blood and yearn tests I told him help yourslef you wont find anything now, he said he was bluffing and we moved on.

Marek

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2003, 15:30:00 »
Well cudos on your honesty!  Better have just 6 monthes to wait then never.  If you lied (which im not support of) then they probably wouldn‘t think anything about it, I dont even belive they check for it on the medical test (not 100% sure).  Its not like they would go out to your whole highschool asking everyone. Honesty is always the best though.  Well goodluck in your future CF carrer.

Dire

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2003, 15:54:00 »
Don‘t worry Danno, same thing happend to me.

I had the CFAT/Medical a few weeks ago and was passed out that form. I told them I quit in march and that when I decided to join the army I quit using for good. Like you I was called to stay behind and was told to wait until OCT 03 and to call the Career officer to book another CFAT/medical..

I never regreat telling the truth I just got 3 more weeks to study up (get better mark) and workout.

It‘s funny sometimes people don‘t think about joining the army until later on in their lives and then their past haunts them.

When you filled out the thing did you say you smoked a joint that month?

shaunlin41

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2003, 19:23:00 »
They certainly do check for pot in your urine test.

Marek

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2003, 00:22:00 »
My mistake sorry.  But yes this could be a blessing, just take some time to study and workout.

Danno

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2003, 12:15:00 »
Dire,

I told them the last time I did it was the first weekend of june.

Dire

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2003, 22:08:00 »
See thats the problem right there Dano.

You gotta be clean for 6 months before you are eligible for the CF.

I said the last time was March so I gotta wait until October which is 6-7 months I would be clean from the last time I smoked pot.

Even know if you test me now I will be clean.

Urine test it takes 4-5 months.. Hair test takes 6+ months for THC to get outta your system.

Etown

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2003, 02:46:00 »
Didn‘t you post this on the army forums last week?

I‘m judging be the fact that you are still seeking sympathy, that you‘ve decided to take my second option and whine to your friends till it all goes away.

Really I‘m not a jerk but do you really think you are helping yourself by dwelling on your mistakes? You ****ed up. You decided you wanted to smoke pot until the forces told you you couldn‘t. WELL NEWS FLASH, NO ONE EVER SAID IT WAS OKAY!!!My god, boy! Take your beating, you earned it!

Dire

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2003, 03:16:00 »
First off, E-Town, you talking to me?

If you are; here is my response to you.

I don‘t seek sympathy because frankly I don‘t need it nor care for it. Dwelling on my mistakes? If you are talking about my post I was just sharing my experience to Dano of what happened to me and what the response was from the recruiter.

I quit before I wanted to join the forces and respected the fact there is a no tolerance policy and I‘d obey it because frankly I could give two ****s if I ever smoke pot again. I haven’t even given it a 2nd thought.

This forum was setup for people to share their experiences. This being a recruiters forum drug use is apart of it because it is an issue for joining the forces. Not everyone is clean, not everyone has never done a substance. People just have to realize their mistakes and correct them for the future.

I didn’t know you had to be 6 months clean before you could be considered for the CF; I had to find out the hard way like Dano did. (But I did give myself a while for my system to clean and dano didn’t)

So yes your post was jerky because talking to others does help yourself. When I first started posting on this forum I ask questions about the drug test ect. I gained valuable information which brought my confidence level up.

anyhow, I hope you rethink your post.

-Brandon

PilotGal

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2003, 15:28:00 »
Danno,

Having to wait must suck. But I‘m glad you were honest with them. Time passes, but honesty is a thing that accompanies someone throughout their lives. :-)

I‘ve smoked weed a coupla times, just to try it. That was a couple of months back. I don‘t smoke it at all now. I did it out of curiosity, and decided that it was not worth sacrificing my future career either in policing or Army/Air Force for that. I also quit smoking cigarettes at the same time.

I know what it feels like to have to wait. But, think about it, 6 months is not a big thing if you concentrate on your aims. :-) I wish I had ONLY 6 months to wait to apply, instead of 4 years! But the important thing is that if you are determined to get into the Canadian Forces, nothing will stop you - certainly not the 6 months of waiting.

Good luck.

D.

shaunlin41

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2003, 15:46:00 »
Too much sympathy for pot heads!
If someone is that stupid to realize pot is not a good thing than who wants them...   Would you want to be next to someone in a trench or in the field wondering if they are going to get doped up if things get hard? not me, I think there are more important things to be concerned with.  If you couldn‘t stop smoking pot before you applied, than why would you stop once you got in?
And buy the way,  I find it very hard to believe you only smoked once a month or so at parties because if this was really the case it shows that either you have absolutly no commitment or discipline to quite or you smoke a he!! of a lot more than you let on and you couldn‘t quit either way I wouldn‘t want to be beside you,   but than again I don‘t have the luxury of that choice.

PilotGal

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2003, 17:14:00 »
Born Military,

Not sympathy, just opinions and advice.

I tend to agree with some of the points you made. Those who smoke weed shouldn‘t be in the army, and I think I agree with what they did in this case. Weed is a state of mind - i.e, if you see that it‘s useless, you don‘t smoke it, not even recreationally. If you don‘t see that, you smoke it. Of course, you‘re not gonna be screwed if you say that you tried smoking weed when you were like 16, just once or twice, but if you‘re still smoking, then that‘s pretty bad. I think those in the army shouldn‘t be dependent on anything like drugs, or whatever. But then again, the question to Danno is: if there was no such rule/law that prevents recreational pot smokers from joining the army, would you still smoke it recreationally when you got in? It all depends on your personality and character. Personally, I don‘t think I would. I don‘t think I even *want* to try it again, or any other sort of drug or even cigarettes. I know what is good and bad for me, and I know what I *want*. And weed is not one of the things I want. Like I said, I agree with the term "lifestyle cannabis smoker" in your case, Danno, because I think weed is only recreational, and not addictive. I‘ve smoked it more than once, and I didn‘t get addicted to it. So you see, it‘s all about what you *want* and what you *don‘t want*. If you had the goal of joining the Forces, you should‘ve stopped smoking a long long time ago, even if you knew that they wouldn‘t even bother asking you about it. Weed & Army == NOPE. Or rather, Addictions & Army == NOPE.

D.

klumanth

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2003, 19:08:00 »

"If you couldn‘t stop smoking pot before you applied, than why would you stop once you got in?"

Ok, I don‘t know about anyone else but I didn‘t sit around for six months once I decided I wanted to join the army.  I went down to the recruiting center and started the application process.  It was fortunate for me that I had already quit smoking pot for my own reasons about a year before.  Had I decided to join the army a year earlier I would be in the same position as Danno.  It wouldn‘t have been a matter of not being able to quit but of not knowing to quit.

Etown

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2003, 01:29:00 »
Dire - No I wasn‘t talking to you, I‘m not sure how you‘ve got that impression. If you‘ve been paying attention I‘ve even suggested to others on this board to follow the positive example that you‘ve shown.

My post was directed at the owner of the thread. It seems to me that Danno didn‘t like any of the three pages of results from when he posted this exact (cut and paste) message on the army forum last week.

Since we are cross-posting, here is my reply to his original post:

Hey Danno,

If you really think you will be an excellent soldier you better learn to be patient, and trust me they are giving you a chance.

Keep in mind that the activity that you are talking about is still illegal in this country, and participating in illegal activities monthly doesn‘t exactly scream trustworthy. The point of the six month period is to see if you can actually buckle down and play by the rules. Now if you aren‘t willing to wait the six months and keep your nose clean you really don‘t stand much of a chance in the military.

So relax, keep your nose clean and use the time to your advantage. Get in shape so that when you finally get in you can breeze through basic. Volunteer in your community. Read every book on the army reading list cover to cover. Basically, make them sorry they didn‘t take you the first time, or you could whine to all your friends about how unfair life is and smoke up till all the pain goes away. Your choice.
I was not the only person to suggest that Danno use this time to his advantage, but it seems to me that a week later he is still looking for an easy way out. Does this sound like the makings of a good soldier to anyone?
I‘m sure there are plenty of us who have run into the guy on course that fails room inspection but instead of fixing it takes out his ruler to prove that his bed was made to regulation. This is not the kind of behaviour that ever helps anybody out.

So I will apologize to you Dire, I should have been more clear in directing my criticism. Danno, to you, I stand by all my previous comments.

Dire

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2003, 01:12:00 »
No sorry E-town, I will apologize to you.

I’m sorry; I thought the post was towards me, I guess I just read it wrong.

But no hard feelings eh?

Later

-Brandon