Author Topic: Criminal Record (merged)  (Read 189709 times)

Offline Torlyn

• Rate Post
Re: Unpaid Tickets?
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2004, 14:36:31 »
They're looking for a criminal record check.  Provided your tickets fall under the Highway Traffic Act, there's no worries.

T

Offline putz

• Rate Post
Component Transfer with weapons Prohibition
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2005, 16:04:27 »
Question for the educated out there ;)

A friend of mine is R031 and he wants to do a transfer to full time 031.  Straight forward so far....

He has a conviction for Arson (3-4years ago) that happened AFTER he got into the reserves, has since been dealt with served the "Time" and has the criminal conviction on record and a 10 year weapons Prohibition.  However, he is STILL in the reserves and has risen the ranks and been in for almost 7 years now.  Can he do this transfer to regs with a weapons prohibition and a criminal record.  Also, could this effect him going on a tour?  Any input would be appreciated.... (he asked me to post this as he doesn't have the internet).

Offline Horse_Soldier

• Old Retread
  • Rate Post
Re: Component Transfer with weapons Prohibition
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2005, 16:19:08 »
What I'm wondering about is why he's still in the CF.  A criminal conviction for a serious crime like arson sounds like a 2(a) release to me - especially with a weapons prohibition.  I'd be interested to know if his CO consulted his legal advisor at the time of the conviction.  I'll let the experts talk about component transfer with that kind of background.
The skill of the officer is the management of violence; his responsibility is the military security of his client, society.
-War, Morality and the Military Profession, M. Wakim, Ed.

Offline beach_bum

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2005, 17:21:58 »
I have to be honest in that I was wondering the same thing myself.  Was his chain even aware of what took place?  I didn't think you could be (or continue to be) a mbr of the CF with a weapons conviction.
Eddie would go!

Offline putz

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2005, 17:37:46 »
I don't know the whole legality of it all and how the forces deals with this (as why I am asking) but, it is stipulated in his weapons prohibition that he is allowed to use firearms in the line of work (i.e. reserves).

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2005, 20:58:13 »
Question for the educated out there ;)

A friend of mine is R031 and he wants to do a transfer to full time 031.   Straight forward so far....

He has a conviction for Arson (3-4years ago) that happened AFTER he got into the reserves, has since been dealt with served the "Time" and has the criminal conviction on record and a 10 year weapons Prohibition.   However, he is STILL in the reserves and has risen the ranks and been in for almost 7 years now.   Can he do this transfer to regs with a weapons prohibition and a criminal record.   Also, could this effect him going on a tour?   Any input would be appreciated.... (he asked me to post this as he doesn't have the internet).

I don't think so because as soon as they do a reliability check on him the crap will hit the fan and whatever deal, which I find very hard to believe, he has with the reserves will not extend to the Regular Force.  We won't let a civilian serve in the CF with a firearms prohibition why the hell would we let this guy.  But I have seen stranger things.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline mike

• Rate Post
Re: can u join the army if......
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2005, 12:40:08 »
i am going through this identical situation myself right now. just waiting to get my court docs, probation records and have gathered all my reference letters.
 i would like to know if anyone besides GrahamD and i have gone through this and what happened during the rest of their application process and what the final outcome was.
 :skull:

Offline Jimmy P. On

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2005, 13:05:10 »
When I joined it was you had to have no obligations for the last 6 months, but again call and confirm that was a little bit ago.
You need to be 16 with a grade ten or level one completion for the reserves. 17 with parental consent and high school completion for regular forces. :soldier:
Bull, Im in the regs w/o HS diploma.  Grade 11 was as far as I went.
livin' the REMF life..UFN/TTBD.

Offline mike

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2005, 13:09:13 »
GrahamD, maybe you can answer this best.

Offline TFC Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2005, 20:38:46 »
If what?? Can you be more specific.........

Offline TFC Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2005, 20:39:48 »
Sorry, disregard that, I never looked at the first page.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2005, 20:55:43 »
PS.  I was also told by a recruiter that having a criminal record could potentially hinder promotions.  If I were to to be evaluated for promotion and come out even with the next person, it could potentialy come into consideration.

PS. The recruiter told you Bull Crap.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.

Offline Fear, Fervor, nor Affection

• Rate Post
Checkered Past
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2005, 08:46:20 »
Hi.  I am a 29 year old with a BComm and a bit of a checkered past who wants to go DEO Infantry.  I have a conditional discharge for impaired driving and assult charges which were dropped on my record, have lived in a foreign country for 4 years(South Korea), once had a discectmy to remove a piece of a ruptured disc in my back(however was cleared to go back to heavy manual work by WCB), and stopped the enrollment procedure midway through a few years ago because of an arrest.  Will the Forces even look at me or will I be questionable in too many areas?  I am looking for some opinions of people who know from personal experience as an applicant or recruiter.  Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: Checkered Past
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2005, 09:09:04 »
Hi.   I am a 29 year old with a BComm and a bit of a checkered past who wants to go DEO Infantry.   I have a conditional discharge for impaired driving and assult charges which were dropped on my record, have lived in a foreign country for 4 years(South Korea), once had a discectmy to remove a piece of a ruptured disc in my back(however was cleared to go back to heavy manual work by WCB), and stopped the enrollment procedure midway through a few years ago because of an arrest.   Will the Forces even look at me or will I be questionable in too many areas?   I am looking for some opinions of people who know from personal experience as an applicant or recruiter.   Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Read the many threads on pre-assessments or pre-security assessments or pre-sec.  That will be the biggest hurdle for you but nothing is going to happen if you are not in Canada.

Offline GreenFace

• Join The Canadian Forces Or Die Trying
  • Rate Post
I need help in joinning the army
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2006, 14:52:24 »
I want to join the army but does having a criminal record of breaking and entering at 15 risk that and does going to military school help your chances of joinning

:skull:
I'm back in the street
The fight never ends
I was born with a gun in my hand
I'll die for my country
But I'll die like a man

MikeL

Re: I need help in joinning the army
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2006, 15:06:06 »
AFAIK, RMC is the only Military School in the Country, an it is hard too get into. If you get accepted, you join the CF as a OCdt. As for the criminal record, search around the forums, the best thing too do would be too call a Recruiting Centre and ask.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
Re: I need help in joinning the army
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2006, 15:39:00 »
As for the criminal record, search around the forums, the best thing too do would be too call a Recruiting Centre and ask.

That's the best advice. First, ask a Recruiter. Second thoroughly 'search' and read all the pertinent stuff here. There's reams of it pertaining to the questions you asked. Lastly:

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24937.0.html

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24937.msg259412.html#msg259412

Recruiting FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,21101.0.html

Infantry FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,21131.0.html

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test - http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,21101.msg103977.html#msg103977

Fitness requirements at enrolment, see page 12 of this brochure:
http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/media/pdf/physical_fitness_en.pdf

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

To summarize. Welcome to Army.ca, start reading.

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: criminal record
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2006, 17:43:42 »
Offences under the YOA or YCJA are not relevent to your processing unless there is still a disposition in effect such as probation.

Offline mikewalker

• Rate Post
    • milworm
A quick question
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2006, 01:24:32 »
If i have a minor criminal record / under investigation will they still accept you or is there no way that you're going to be able to join and with having the 'record' they are all minor offences so do some times they look past it ?

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
Re: A quick question
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2006, 01:31:24 »

Recruiting FAQ - Criminal Record - http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,21101.msg103981.html#msg103981

Welcome to Army.ca, you will find the FAQs and teh search function useful places to start.

Offline mikewalker

• Rate Post
    • milworm
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2006, 01:43:13 »
I've read through those posts and they don't really hold the answer i'm looking for i have no legal oblications as it is, i.e conditions court dates etc, and my record as it stands are very very minor charges wich im sure wont pose to be a problem

The main concern i have is i've been under investigation for the past 3 years for organized crime, though i have not been charged wich the offence or do they have proff of this it's still tied to my name, would this cause a problem with me being accepted, or is it somthing they have to look past because there is no solid "proof" of these alligations.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2006, 07:46:36 »
You may consider them minor, while someone else just looks at them as being "A Criminal Record"; "Black and White - No Shades of Grey".  If you have applied and received a Pardon, then that is a different story.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: criminal record
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2006, 08:47:55 »
The main concern i have is i've been under investigation for the past 3 years for organized crime, though i have not been charged wich the offence or do they have proff of this it's still tied to my name, would this cause a problem with me being accepted, or is it somthing they have to look past because there is no solid "proof" of these alligations.

What do you think?

HH

Offline GreenFace

• Rate Post
Criminal Record
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2006, 15:45:04 »
I always seem to get into trouble even when im not doing anything like my friend looks into a cars mirror to check his face and some smartass calls the cops and tells them that we were trying to break into a car and it goes into the system that i was suspected in trying to steal a car, also ive been arrested before for paintballing a building but that i really did. And ive also been arrested for breaking and entering but that didnt go on my record but i think its in the system now. with all this what do you suppose my chances of getting into the army are???
I'm back in the street
The fight never ends
I'll die for my country
But I'll die like a man

Offline GreenFace

• Rate Post
Re: Criminal Record
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2006, 15:47:47 »
I forgot to mention i was just looking into a store window at night and a smartass called the cops saying i was breaking into the place because i wasnt really breaking into it
I'm back in the street
The fight never ends
I'll die for my country
But I'll die like a man