Author Topic: Timings discussion ( merged )  (Read 24371 times)

shoguny2k

Timings discussion ( merged )
« on: January 05, 2005, 04:32:58 »
At a time when the CF is bitching and complaining about personnel shortages, you'd think they would act fast to nip the problem at its source: The roadblock at the initial stages of recruitment.

I have an electrical engineering degree and am applying as a DEO to the Navy as a Marine Systems Engineer Officer. I've got a terrific graduating GPA and 5 professional internships at companies like Microsoft and BC Hydro. Apparently, the Navy is "hurting" for guys like me. Well I certainly didn't feel that way when I walked into the CFRG office today.

There were these 2 fat-*** NCM guys manning the post who were less than enthusiastic (to say the least) about promoting Naval MARE Officer positions to me. I just asked for an application package and left. Finally, one of 'em told me I should expect to wait between 6 months to a year prior to receiving any feedback on my application. Huh ??? They're certainly not treating me like they need me. 

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Absolutely ridiculous wait time for processing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 05:25:34 »
Welcome to the club. My application has hits the one year mark this coming week.There are others here that have been waiting much longer.

If you get in by 6 months, consider yourself very very lucky. The application process times vary a lot between persons and a mostly caused by slow downs in security clearances and waiting for the medical to clear at a central location in Borden.

Do a search as the problems of recruiting are constantly being talked about here.

I am also going for a DEO position and have a pretty solid background. It has little to do with your application as all your qualifications won't come into play until the selection board...when you get to the selection board that is.

Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 08:06:47 »
At a time when the CF is bitching and complaining about personnel shortages..............

I have an electrical engineering degree.......graduating GPA and 5 professional internships.. like Microsoft and BC Hydro. Apparently, the Navy is "hurting" for guys like me..........

There were these 2 fat-*** NCM guys...... . Huh ??? They're certainly not treating me like they need me.  

Who is the one bitching and complaining?
Now, I agree there are many issues with recruiting, and I've posted some as well. I've even gone so far as to suggest that SOME recruiters were less than helpful in the process. But I've also allowed for off-days, failures in the information system, constant government and recruiting plan changes, issues in Borden with medical clearances, overtaskings and lack of training pers, etc...

Clearly you are frustrated. But your post insults the many other fine men and women who staff CFRCs.
You also kind of come accross like you are the cat's meow. I've mistakenly done it before as well, but you may want to tone that down a bit, especially on your initial courses.

Good luck with the process, but remember its a process, and the recruiters deal with it every day. And from what Ive heard recently, their ETA is a fairly accurate one, fat-assed and all.

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 10:46:27 »
In my year and a half (and counting) of my recruiting process, I was always met by friendly helpful people at the CFRC.  Yes, there were some slow downs, some of which were unexplainable and likely can be chalked up to human error (like taking three weeks to call me and tell me I need to drop off more information, or like letting me wait for nearly and hour and a half because they mistakenly slotted my interview before my fitness test), but every time the staff have been helpful and done their best to move things along quickly.

Some things will simply take their time, like medicals.  Others might be because the recruiting centre is booked.  When I did my interviews and testing, I was given the choice of what day I wanted; when I went to re-do my fitness test and my update interview, I was pretty much given one day.

Everyone has bad days; maybe you got two people having a bad day.  I've never had a problem with the people at the CFRC, just the red tape.
"Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die." - Tennyson

Offline Drummy

• Rate Post
  • Regimental Drum Major
    • The Regimental Band of the Canadian Guards
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 11:45:40 »
Hi all,

I've been wanting to throw this one out to you for some time now. I think it will PO some and others will get a chuckle out of it.   ;D

I arrived at the recruiting center(Toronto) on Thu 29 Nov, and was told to report to 6PD on Mon 3 Dec.I did this and was sworn in on Thu 6 Dec, sent on a weeks leave, reporting back on 13 Dec and was transported to Camp Petawawa(by train) on Fri 14 Dec. And then wearing just coveralls,  we did kitchen and fire piquet duties until starting our 24 week recruit training on 7 Jan.

This all happened in 1956 of course.     ;)

I really feel for you people who are desparately trying to get into the Forces and have to wait so long.   :salute:

All the best   Drummy

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 20:54:07 »
This all happened in 1956 of course.   
LOL  :D Wish things were still like that, some things should never change.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

marshmanguy

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 21:46:17 »
Which recruiting centers are you guys going to?  If you want speed you might want to try going directly to the unit you wanna join.  For example, I'm going for the Queen's Own Rifles reserve unit and when i was handing in papers I went straight to them, 'stead of going to CFRC Toronto.  Later on in the application you end up having to go to the recruiting center but I got all my forms in, medical and all, inside about 3 months.  I dunno, maybe it's faster for people with less qualifications, like me, but you might wanna give it a try.  Also, how long do medicals take to go through Borden, cuz I handed mine in in mid December and the sarge in the office said I should hear from em in January, will I make the January 22nd SQ, does anyone think?

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 23:18:25 »
The huge difference between your testimonial and the rest is that they are applying for RegF positions...  The initial stages of Militia recruiting may appear to go by smoothly but it is still subjected in the end to the same process in Borden.  Your file may very well end up in the Quagmire or it could pass through very smoothly.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline jarko

• Rate Post
  • Infantry Hooah
    • http://soon
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 01:05:47 »
Been waiting 6 months so far, I guess this is the mid point of my wait?
What ever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger ;
Whatever doesn't kill ME, had better run like hell!

Offline Torlyn

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 16:41:25 »
Been waiting 6 months so far, I guess this is the mid point of my wait?

It depends...  Like Pieman said, he's coming up on one year's wait.  For me, it's been only 3 months, and I'm still a bit farther ahead of him in regards to clearances, interviews, etc.  He has a much more solid educational background than I, but as he did his M.Sc. overseas, the wait time was increased waiting for security clearance.  I used to work for the federal government, and my clearance only took a few weeks.  (6, maybe?  Not sure, but much less than 9 months a la Pieman).

In regards to being frustrated with the wait, shotguny2k, get used to it.  Yes, they need people like you, (and I, for that matter, MARS DEO) but it's still the federal government.  If you can't have patience, I would really suggest another career choice, as it doesn't get better once you're in.  It's just part and parcel with being a member of the CF.  Sucks, but c'est la vie.

T

SudsyNavy

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 17:06:41 »
Hi , i just got accepted into the Navy as a Naval Weapons Tech. I was sworn in on Dec.17 2004 and am on LWOP til my BMQ starts (January 15 2005). 

Dont be discuraged of the long waits, i waited a year and a half to get accepted, i thaught that day would never come but when it does its a great feeling. Trust me i feel your frustration i had to redo a lot of my tests because they were being outdated, Just keep your chin up and make sure you bug your recruiter lots!!! make sure they know that this is somthing that you really want to do!

OatmealSavage

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 17:36:45 »
Don't jump on this guy too hard because he is right. No matter how much you like and respect the people at the CFRC (as I do the ones I met when I was recruiting), the lethargy of the CFRC offices is legendary and inexcusable. There is some kind of systemic problem with the way they do things, and that is on top of the problem they have with getting files through the medical office in Borden. A year is normal and what tasks are they required to accomplish in that year? There is a reason why the Ombudsman decided to investigate. I hope a currently serving recruiting supervisor on the forum will rebuke me with all the facts and figures because this problem puzzled and pissed me off in a personal way for a full calendar year, and it continues to cost the forces recruits.

Offline Griswald, DME

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 16:10:08 »
Don't jump on this guy too hard because he is right. No matter how much you like and respect the people at the CFRC (as I do the ones I met when I was recruiting), the lethargy of the CFRC offices is legendary and inexcusable.

I agree with you, to a point.   I am QL5 qualified and have absolutely zero training (already confirmed with the MA) to get into my trade which is distressed and offering bonuses.   I have been waiting well over three years.   Currently I'm waiting to head out to depot in Regina for the RCMP.   However, if the CF somehow magically calls me before I head out,   I will respond with an enthusiastic "Yes Sir!".

During my dealings with the CFRC I have dealt with some unbelievably lazy schmuck recruiters, and some absolutely awesome recruiters.   Luckily at the moment my recruiter is the latter, an excellent person who appears genuinely interested in getting me into the CF.   I have nothing but praise for this man.   So here I wait and hope to wear blue, but will be content with the red if thats how its going to be.

So for those waiting, I feel your pain.

DME

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 18:24:09 »
Going on a year for me, though a huge part of that is the clerk handling my papers "forgetting" about it all summer then putting it off  for 3 or 4 months before leaving the regiment and letting someone else finally send my stuff TO the recruiting center to start the process.

You need to smile and nod guys. crap happens. Sometimes hammer heads get accepted with in months and their sent to basic. Sometimes guys who would be great soldiers don't make it in because of some obscure medical reason, or the army takes too long and they go off and do something else . Sometimes guys in the middle just get tossed around and play the waiting game.

When you go into a room you should always make sure you have a way out or know where the exit is right?
No matter how convinced you guys are about spending the rest of your life in the army (just like I am) you NEED to make sure you have an "escape plan".  Don't put all your eggs in one basket and expect the army to pick you up sooner or later. 
Make sure you have a stable and steady job to support you WHILE you wait and make sure you have a job ready for yourself if the army doesn't pan out.

Seriously. You might get dinged for some obscure medical condition and simply told NO your not allowed int he CF. You might get hurt on your basic training and have to leave the army. You could do 2 years and have to leave for some reason OR you could decide the army just isn't for you.  Take care of yourself.  Don't expect the army to always take care of you.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Torlyn

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 19:42:37 »
Nice to see ya back, Ghost778.  :)

T

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 08:42:28 »
My papers somehow took a miraculous 3 months to get from the Seaforth Armoury to CFRC Vancouver.  Total time to walk between the two: 20 -30 minutes.

I guess the carrier pigeon got lost.

2Lt_Burgie

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 22:09:15 »
Good Day:
 This has been a continous problem with people joining the Forces, so much in fact that Reserve units put a plan in motion to waive the bottleneck in the system, which appears to be CFMS in Borden. Unfortunately, there is a huge bottleneck here where files arrive on a desk and sit there for 8 - 10 months for processing.

This is a known problem, and as a result, the Reserves implemented a waiver system to state that if a member has problems with their medical file that they would voluntarily release from the Forces, without the ability to have recourse on the CF.

For those people waiting, I hear your pain, and I hope that you have the patience to wait it out, espically those going to the Reg F.

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 12:20:19 »
So this waiver system... does that not imply that we could have recruits on course that could pass out dead from a medical problem that was not yet caught because their file hasn't been reviewed?

Or does teh waiver also require a signature from an MD?

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 17:34:08 »
From what I understand the waiver system is only implemented in the case of recruits with no medical problems.  So if the MO feels that there is nothing that Borden may even take a second glance at, the recruit is put on course.

However, if the potential recruit admits to something (asthma, severe allergies to something, etc.) then they are not sent to their unit and they have to wait to hear back from Borden.

From what I understand.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 18:48:05 »
The reserve medical procedure works as follows:

- applicant goes to recruiting centre/detachment and is processed through part one and two of the medical.  If the Medical Assistant determines that the applicant will most likely meet the Common Enrolment Standards (CEMS) for the CF, they indicate that the applicant is fit part two and forward the file to Bordon.  The processing clerk will then contact the reserve unit and indicate that the applicant is fit part two and the applicant can now take the physical fitness test.  Once they pass that and their background check comes back clean, their file is sent to the reserve unit for enrolment.  This can happens in less than one week.  Upon enrolment the applicant signs a statement of understanding that if it is determined at a later date that the applicant does not meet the CEMS then the applicant will be released.

- if the medical assistant does not believe that the applicant will meet the CEMS or if the applicant reveals a previous or current medical problem that warrents further investigation then the applicant's medical fitness must be determined by Borden.  This can mean a very long wait.

This procedure was only a trial for the Militia but is now applicable to all reserve applicants.  So far I have seen this procedure expedite the enrolment process for a few applicants.  Personally, I don't think it will help because unfortunately a lot of the people that are applying to the CF have medical issues.  Maybe it is the fast food.

That is it in a nutshell.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Joshua1

• Rate Post
Timings discussion ( merged )
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 08:47:31 »
I was just wondering the process. I have finally finished the process with all the testing, also had my interview and security clearance was completed as well. As of April of 2012 i have been merit listed. Is it usually a long wait after you have been merit listed. My CFRC Halifax.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Timings discussion ( merged )
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 09:10:06 »
Check here:  TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________

and here:  Application Process Samples

The time varies depending on many factors.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Recruit16

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 15:13:14 »
Hey Everyone,

I have passed everything (CFAT, Interview, Fitness Test) and I am just waiting on the RMO to sign off on my medical, I was just wondering how long this take and what happens after? Do you have any tips to make this process faster? From what I know it was sent up just over a week ago.

Thank you!

Offline KerryBlue

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 15:17:05 »
Honestly there really isn't anything you can do. The RMO reviews your file and determines whether you are fit or not. I believe the average I was told is about 2-4 weeks for it to go to the RMO, return and be processed by your RC. Mine took about a week and a half.

Afterwards assuming everything else on your file(CFAT, Interview, background check) is completed you should be merit listed.

Offline JonathanSeguin

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 19:00:16 »
Hi, I'm Jonathan Seguin,

I've been waiting since January 30th when I applied and got the automatic email for a response but they haven't given me any. Should I call or is it normal to wait for 2 months? Thanks for any answers or response.

Offline JonathanSeguin

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 19:06:42 »
Also I'm applying for the reserves in Ottawa if that helps.

Offline JonathanSeguin

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 21:11:31 »
When I applied They said that I didn't need to stop by and just apply online, then in the online email it said they would contact me when the application will be processed.
So I don't know what letter I have to get and online it doesn't say anything about getting a letter?

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 08:04:15 »
Also I'm applying for the reserves in Ottawa if that helps.

That little bit of information definitely helps.  You will generally NOT receive a follow-up email if you are applying for Reserves.  It is your responsibility to inform the Reserve Unit which you have already been in contact with, that you have submitted your online application.  They will then continue your process from that point on.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline JonathanSeguin

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 02:34:34 »
Thanks, i got into contact through email, first time it sent auto reply so second time I made sure the title had the open status on my application so they knew what I was messaging about.
Also for recruiter I saw a recruiter, was passed to another office since I wanted to know about multiple areas, but the area I went to didn't have any at the time so I didn't know about talking to them after wards. But thanks for the info.

Offline luttrellfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 15:57:46 »
Well, no one can really answer that question. I'll give it a try anyway.

Assuming you're applying for the Regular Force, it could probably take 6-12 months (I hope someone else on this forum can verify/agree with me). That is without any issue's with your application; issue's such as, medical, physical, laziness to fill out forms or my personal favourite the competence of the recruiting center.

I applied when I was 17. I'm 20 now and still trying to get in. I've hit a few roadblocks here and there and I anticipate getting in when I'm 22 to give you a rough estimate.

If I were to give you advice: Be patient. There are many people who've had it worse than me.

Sincerely,
jaysfan17
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 16:00:34 by jaysfan17 »
Man, if you knew how short life was and how fast it can be snatched away from you, you wouldn’t waste one second doing anything that didn’t bring you absolute enjoyment. Period!
-   Marcus Luttrell

Offline FortYorkRifleman

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 16:08:14 »
Well, no one can really answer that question. I'll give it a try anyway.

Assuming you're applying for the Regular Force, it could probably take 6-12 months (I hope someone else on this forum can verify/agree with me). That is without any issue's with your application; issue's such as, medical, physical, laziness to fill out forms or my personal favourite the competence of the recruiting center.

I applied when I was 17. I'm 20 now and still trying to get in. I've hit a few roadblocks here and there and I anticipate getting in when I'm 22 to give you a rough estimate.

If I were to give you advice: Be patient. There are many people who've had it worse than me.

Sincerely,
jaysfan17

Five years? Thats unbelievable. I admire your determination though

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 16:12:26 »
 ::)

We really would not have so much problems with redundant threads if only people would READ first before posting a question that has been answered thousands of times before and stickied so as to be right there, up front, for them to find:

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,81054.0.html

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Respectyouall

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 02:07:06 »
I have to agree with some of your statements at this point I have been told there is a 3 month wait to get med 3 clearance back to the cfrc when I know of 2 people who did there meds same day as me who already got them back within 2 weeks merit listed and job offer. Both had med problems when I have none. So confused why I am to wait 3 months and there's was immediate very strange.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 03:50:05 »
I have to agree with some of your statements at this point I have been told there is a 3 month wait to get med 3 clearance back to the cfrc when I know of 2 people who did there meds same day as me who already got them back within 2 weeks merit listed and job offer. Both had med problems when I have none. So confused why I am to wait 3 months and there's was immediate very strange.

You know the last post on this thread was over 11 years ago, right?
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 06:45:21 »
You know the last post on this thread was over 11 years ago, right?

We sure have made a lot of progress in fixing the system since then........
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 16:20:50 »
We sure have made a lot of progress in fixing the system since then........
The sarcasm is strong with this one......

Bahaha
Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline Fluff

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 18:12:20 »
Haha 3 months.. I'm currently in week 16 of waiting. It takes time and it is what it is. Complaining does nothing to hurry it up, at least I would rather the problem of too much time than not enough time.

edit: a word

Offline BlueAngels14

• MARS DEO
  • Rate Post
  • MARS II
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2016, 19:07:23 »
I'm 9 months into my application process and I understand where some of this frustration is coming from but this reminds me of (Rank) Scott's post about how "The CF does not owe anyone a job":

"You are applying against what could be hundreds, if not thousands, of people for what very well could be a very few jobs (perhaps even single digits). Just because it's the CF does not mean they HAVE to hire anyone - you must compete, just like you'd have to compete for a job anywhere."

"If you applied for a job elsewhere, would you automatically expect them to hire you? Of course not, as there are not openings for every interviewee and candidate."

"You have the right to apply, and at the same time the CF has the right to process or not to process, for their reasons. Given the current economy, political climate and culture, the CF can afford to be choosy, so why shouldn't they?"

http://navy.ca/forums/index.php/topic,103958.0.html

I too thought I was competitive among my respective industry with my experience and academic achievements until I met others. The application process may be long and grueling, it can be fast or slow, some CFRCs could be more efficient than the others, but a process is a process, there are no shortcuts. I know I personally absolutely appreciate the Sergeant who is handling my file, he's been nothing but helpful. While your credentials may be impressive and competitive, if supply is over demand then you'll be waiting. The CF won't extinct with one less applicant and insulting the two NCMs who ARE serving members in the forces definitely won't help. Be a little more humble and good luck in your application shoguny2k.
Trade: MARS (Reg F, DEO)
Application Date: May 31, 2015
CFAT: June 4th, 2015 - Passed
MOST: July 3rd, 2015 - Passed
Interview: March 7th, 2016 - Passed
Background Check: March 16th, 2016 - Completed
Medical: April 7th, 2016 - Completed
Requested Medical Info: April 15th, 2016 - Submitted
Cleared Medical: July 27th, 2016
Merit Listed: August 11, 2016 
Position offered: August 26th, 2016
Swearing in: January 4th, 2017
BMOQ: January 16th, 2017
Graduated: April 20th, 2017

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 15:04:52 »
To be sure, the recruiting process is extrememly slow, very frustrating and too damn cumbersome and understaffed at this point in time.

Amazing how the introduction of the Tech Idiot Boxes sitting on desks that were supposed to make us more effecient and make our transmission of files and paperwork "mobile" don't seem to hold a candle to 25 years ago.  Back then, one could show up at their nearest recruiting centre and apply, then be medicalled, enrolled and reporting to Cornwallis for Basic Trg a mere 12 days after that application.  I know - I was one of them and know too many these days who are fully qual'd already waiting 2 years just to see a CT occur.  SMH.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline LunacyFringe

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 15:35:43 »
Ok so...

I know my experience with the recruiting process isn't the same as most have gone through, having started last august and shipping to BMQ tomorrow, but I do have experience in hiring and recruiting for other workplaces, having done a lot of hiring and recruiting myself. The fact of the matter is that when resources among recruiters are stretched thin (as they currently are) the importance of filling numbers can sometimes take a back seat when it comes to finding competitive candidates. What I mean to say is that recruiters are likely focusing on getting the best possible candidate off to Basic Training rather than just pushing through an armload of lesser-competent candidates.

Now I don't mean to say that the candidates are incompetent or aren't by any means qualified for the job, but rather that they are probably looking at candidates with not only the appropriate qualifications and work experience, but life experience and transferrable skills as well. They will likely process your file with due time, but the thing to remember is that this is a job application process, and they don't necessarily have to hire you, even if you do meet all the criteria.

Bitching and complaining about long wait times isn't going to help your matter either. In a country of 30 million people and only a handful of recruiting centers, it can be speculated that any one recruiter has 5 or more candidates that they're overseeing at any given moment, and that's being terribly generous. If you want to help your case along at all, ask your recruiter what steps YOU can take to make handling your file much easier. They may have something you can do, they may not.

In any case, I highly suggest all these people saying things like "I'm a qualified candidate, why aren't they licking my feet to hire me" or "I have all this experience, they should send me to Basic next week" to read this thread http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,103957.0.html so happily entitled "The CAF doesn't owe you a job, because you aren't that special. READ THIS FIRST!!!" because A) They DON'T owe you a job; and B) You really aren't all that special.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 15:38:47 by ThatOneRecruit »

Offline Fluff

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2016, 16:02:01 »
I think it needs to be clarified that Respectyoualls complaint wasn't about the the entire process just about the wait for medicals, and while I do agree with everything you said ThatOneRecruit it important to separate the parts of the process where the waits are affected by credentials and the parts of the process where the wait is not (as likely) influenced by credentials. The wait for medical (I would assume) is based on the stream of entry more importantly than anything else. It would make sense they are trying to get all the ROTP candidates declared fit/unfit in order to get out conditional offers for the coming year while other streams have had been pushed to the bottom of the pile, I'm sure someone like DAA could inform me if this is a smart assumption or if it is completely out to lunch. It is also important to remember that (according to what I was told at the RC) that if you have no medical issues your file will continue to be processed, but if there are medical issues that require sending extra paperwork to Ottawa then the processing is put on hold until the response comes from the medical officer.

Basically what I am trying to say is that it isn't that the recruiters are causing this wait by searching for the best candidate instead this wait is caused by just a backlog of files that will be cleared in good time. Though I will agree that bitching and complaining makes no difference in the process, just make a call every 3 to 4 weeks to see if there have been any changes. I'm sure everyone realizes there is some thing they wish they had more time to take care of before leaving for BM(O)Q whether it be hitting another workout goal or finding a renter to sub-let an apartment.

On a tangent:
It is always very interesting to think about the idea of hiring in general, having had to do hiring of students for summer work terms as well as for year long research projects, the idea of taking extra time to hire the most qualified candidate is really a double edged sword. This is because the most qualified candidate is also the most likely to get offered a different yet equal position from somewhere else but at the same time you don't know if someone is the most qualified candidate until you have interviewed all the candidates. I remember losing out on a very qualified student with loads of relevant experience because she ended up taking another job offer in the time it took to interview the other candidates. I'm sure there is no correct answer on how to address these problems in any organization, instead the answer must come from the business's morals/business plan/corporate strategy.

Offline Stjohns

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2016, 11:25:57 »
That looks it's not just my bad luck..An additional paper from my doctor was send in November 3 and I was thinking it will take 2-4 weeks...It's always a same ( your papers is still in Ottawa)...The problem is that I quit my job and it's no point to get a new one  and I don't know what to do with my apartment(my rent is ends in April) But I am volunteering for a food bank kitchen to get some cooking experience to be prepare for my future job as an Army cook..Still ,waiting is not my strong point :(

Offline Mike81

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2016, 12:21:08 »
You Should Not Have Quit You Job Unless You For Sure Knew You Had A Job With The Forces Yes The Wait Time Can Take Some Time To Complete, But That's The Process And Theres Nothing That Can Be Done, I am Waiting Myself To Get In As Well But I Surly Wont Quit My Job Before I Know 100% That I Have Gotten Into The Forces. That Was A Big Mistake On Your Part To Quit Your Job.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2016, 12:33:41 »
Mike81

Perhaps it is time that you stopped and read the Army.ca Conduct Guidelines that you agreed to when you registered onto this site.

Your problems with the proper use of ENGLISH Grammar have already been mentioned to you.

George
army.ca STAFF
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2016, 13:07:44 »
That looks it's not just my bad luck..An additional paper from my doctor was send in November 3 and I was thinking it will take 2-4 weeks...It's always a same ( your papers is still in Ottawa)...The problem is that I quit my job and it's no point to get a new one  and I don't know what to do with my apartment(my rent is ends in April) But I am volunteering for a food bank kitchen to get some cooking experience to be prepare for my future job as an Army cook..Still ,waiting is not my strong point :(

As Mike81 "not so eloquently" pointed out, to you Stjohns and to anyone else reading this thread - please don't make drastic life choices / moves based on your belief that you will be in a uniform within a specific timeframe. As was also pointed out in a few areas - the CAF doesn't owe anyone a job. Treat it as if you were applying for a job at your local Sobeys, or radio station. I would love to see everyone who applies who are suitable be given an offer - but it's just not that way.

I stress - don't quit an existing job, don't buy a house. Don't give your employer the proverbial "middle finger" or burn bridges. Wait the 3 weeks, 16 weeks or year and a half - what ever it takes. If you truly want this life, you are willing to wait for it.
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Stjohns

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2016, 16:25:57 »
Thank you guys for a wise advices ,I just forgot to mention that I had a job offer for a Canadian Navy cook and a date when I suppose to start my training(that why I quit my job..) it was just last minute  think because I have a prescription eyes drops  all my medical need to go back for second approval...:( it is 100%my fault...good I have some savings to live in and my kid is old enough ....The hardest part for me is to stay home I am that kind of person who need a job to be happy...
Excuse my English it is not my first language...

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2016, 16:52:05 »
Thank you guys for a wise advices ,I just forgot to mention that I had a job offer for a Canadian Navy cook and a date when I suppose to start my training(that why I quit my job..) it was just last minute  think because I have a prescription eyes drops  all my medical need to go back for second approval...:( it is 100%my fault...good I have some savings to live in and my kid is old enough ....The hardest part for me is to stay home I am that kind of person who need a job to be happy...
Excuse my English it is not my first language...

You're not going to get an offer of employment with the CF without the Medical being approved before hand.  If that did happen, then something definitely went wrong!     :facepalm:
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline fruitflavor

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2016, 17:18:45 »
I don't mind waiting but local RC closing at 2:30 is just ridiculous. Even the armory's is open till 4:30 and evenings too on parade days

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2016, 19:02:18 »
I don't mind waiting but local RC closing at 2:30 is just ridiculous. Even the armory's is open till 4:30 and evenings too on parade days

It's quite possible they close early for PT...
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline big.guy.for.you

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2016, 21:56:54 »
I applied almost two and a half years ago. In that time, I worked, got my Emergency Medical Responder and Primary Care Paramedic certificates (along with a few others), upgraded my license, and applied to school (though I was recruited before they got back to me).

Just keep plugging away, do stuff that'll make your application more valuable, and get in shape. They don't owe you a job and you shouldn't plan your life around the CF, because they certainly won't plan around yours.

Offline NavyPhoenix

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2016, 10:03:39 »

They probably close at that time so that they can actually do the paperwork for individuals like yourself without contant interruptions; otherwise files would take that much longer to process.  Think about it. If they see people all day, when are they supposed to do the actual paperwork and processing of the files? Even recruiters have families and a life to get to.

Offline PteFabulous

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2016, 19:15:24 »
To the OP.

I feel for you. I am a doctor and have been waiting for over 2 years to get back in.

It is ridiculous.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2016, 19:23:20 »
To the OP.

The OP posted on January 05, 2005.

Not sure when s/he was last active.
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline PteFabulous

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2016, 19:26:24 »
Whoops! I didn't realize this was so old. Darn tapatalk!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2016, 19:28:04 »
Whoops! I didn't realize this was so old. Darn tapatalk!

;D

( I wonder if the OP is still in the process? ) < joke.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 19:37:01 by mariomike »

Offline elbozo

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2016, 22:11:42 »
lol im 2years in for drug consumption  if i get to year 4 i think i will just give up

Offline Ryan_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2017, 16:21:15 »
I am reading alot of posts regarding people waiting months to get in to BMQ. So, I am just curious to know if people are selecting those dates or is the military that busy where you have to wait months before going? I am currently waiting for my email/call for my interview to be a sup tech.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2017, 16:41:41 »
I am just curious to know if people are selecting those dates or is the military that busy where you have to wait months before going?

From the Recruiting Sticky,

TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________ 
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,81054.0.html

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Offline FlyLikeAnEagle

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2017, 12:30:28 »
So, i just talked to the PO2 and he told me that all my checks (liability, reference, educational, et al) are done and i'm in the running for my trade. I know everyones different (is that anti-politically correct..hard to tell these days) but approximately how long do members typically wait for the call?

Thanks.

Ps...is this what you call "merit listed" or did i swing and miss?

Gracias

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2017, 12:39:06 »
  approximately how long do members typically wait for the call?

https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=81054.0

Application Process Samples 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=13064.0
213 pages.

is this what you call "merit listed" or did i swing and miss?

I see that a lot on here but have no clue as to what that is. Can someone help me?

Merit List Mega Thread of Questions 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12776.100
11 pages.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:48:25 by mariomike »

Offline smfm4

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2017, 13:25:57 »
Hi There,

My partner sent in his Royal Canadian Navy application back in February. Is it typical for the application process to take this long considering we're now in July? He's been informed by his references and current employer that they have been contacted (all noting they gave excellent references) but still has not heard anything. No yay or nay.

He contacted the recruitment officer he was originally connected with about a month ago who noted they would put in an inquiry but he still has not heard anything.

Any thoughts on what the hold up might be in a case like this? What are some things that can hold up the application process?

Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated :)

-SM

Offline Falsey87

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2017, 14:12:57 »
I applied in March of last year, still in the process (end of it, next step is BMQ date). While there was a hold up with some of the papers they requested me, it just goes to say that there's a reason the process takes so long.

They want to make sure the applicant is a good fit in the family, and that it's not just a ''the hell with it ill just join the army'' impulsion. At least, that's what i like to tell myself  ;D

Tell him to soldier on, supply what they ask and eventually, if his desire is truly to get in the Canadian forces he'll get in. That's the ride i took.  8)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2017, 14:20:31 »
What are some things that can hold up the application process?

Everyone entering the Recruiting Process to join any Element of the Canadian Forces, Regular or Reserves is an individual.

Timings for each individual going through the process will be different and there is no control on how long the following will take:

Medical reviews.

Enhanced Reliability Checks.

BackCheck.

The complete application process will vary in length depending on many factors.  Those who are in perfect physical condition, perfect health, no Criminal Record, good Credit Rating, good education credentials, good references, good marks on the CFAT, and fill the major criteria to join the CF will progress faster than those who may have a problem or two in those matters.  There is no guaranteed time that any part of the process will be completed.

Offline smfm4

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 14:29:29 »
Thank you for the info. He's supplied all the necessary paperwork and they have not requested anything further. I spoke with a recruiter and they mentioned that if his references have been called, it means the process is moving forward. I guess we just didn't realize it would take this long. Two of the recruiters he initially spoke with said that from submission of application to offer letter for entrance into Basic Training in Quebec can take as little as 2 months. They even said he was a good candidate and as long as he hadn't committed a crime recently (he hasn't, or ever for that matter) the process should move quite quickly.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 14:38:28 »
Thank you for the info.

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

Offline CanadianNightOwl

• Fan of art and navy
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2017, 10:34:07 »
Hi, Im applying for HMCS Carleton (Ottawa) And started everything back in October 2016. Now (July 20 2017) Ive done everything , all the test and interview.

But I was wondering how long does it takes to get the letter that says if they take us or not.?  :cdn:

I know that my processus took time, because I asked for French service in Ontario. hahahaha. (supposed to be bilingual , no ?)

thanks !

Anais
Anaïs

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2017, 14:48:05 »
Hi, Im applying for HMCS Carleton (Ottawa) And started everything back in October 2016. Now (July 20 2017) Ive done everything , all the test and interview.
But I was wondering how long does it takes to get the letter that says if they take us or not.?  :cdn:

With HMCS CARLETON being a Reserve Unit you likely won't hear anything during the summer.  Most of the Naval Reserve Recruiters are tasked during the summer to teach on Basic Training, so whoever is handling your file is likely gone until the end of September. If you phone CFRC Ottawa, they should be able to tell you where your file is in the process though.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2017, 22:40:17 »
Time to CLEAN UP this thread and return it back to what it was supposed to be.....NOT a thread to merge all questions on timings to; but to be A NOTICE, pinned to give the questioning newbie direction.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2017, 08:27:41 »
A NOTICE, pinned to give the questioning newbie direction.

ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________ 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,81054.0.html

Split, pinned and locked.

Offline Wesser122368

• Rate Post
Waiting for acceptance
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2017, 20:52:13 »
Hi

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to speed up the process I started my application in march and did all my tests medical interview and they now sent all my medical documents to Ottawa to be reviewed by the RMO to approve, they were sent June 14th and i am still waiting 5 weeks later I am 48 healthy strong smart determined and so much more,

I unfortunately am between jobs and would love to get to basic training before winter

This waiting is killing me I am ready now to take on this challenge

Willie Esser

Offline psinyk

• Rate Post
Re: Waiting for acceptance
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2017, 21:06:34 »
Really all you can do it wait, you can always give them a call and ask where your file is but its just a waiting game, it can also depend on the job you have applied for. I also applied in march, and i just received my job offer today, it just takes time. Good Luck!
Hi

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to speed up the process I started my application in march and did all my tests medical interview and they now sent all my medical documents to Ottawa to be reviewed by the RMO to approve, they were sent June 14th and i am still waiting 5 weeks later I am 48 healthy strong smart determined and so much more,

I unfortunately am between jobs and would love to get to basic training before winter

This waiting is killing me I am ready now to take on this challenge

Willie Esser
Recruting Center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Combat Engineer
Application Date: March 2017(Online)
CFAT completed : March 29, 2017 (passed)
Interview completed: April 11, 2017
Medical Completed: April 11, 2017
Job Offer: July 24, 2017
Position Offered: Combat Engineer
Swear in: October 4, 2017
Basic Training Begins:  October 16, 2017

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Waiting for acceptance
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2017, 21:14:39 »
I was wondering if there is anything I can do to speed up the process

http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,81054.0.html

You can see how long the application process took others,

Application Process Samples 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,13064.5325.html
214 pages.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of up to date information.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 21:17:12 by mariomike »

Offline Wesser122368

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2017, 01:27:42 »
Thanks for the replies hopefully I here soon, with my 20 years of IT experience and all that I can offer I am kinda surprised they are taking so long to process my application, I hope to hear something in august and hope gor a start date for bmq in sept in a perfect world that is

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2017, 10:03:43 »
with my 20 years of IT experience and all that I can offer I am kinda surprised they are taking so long to process my application
Please note that you're not the only applicant to the CAF with tons of experience.  The CAF currently has over 15,000 applicants for the Regular Force - guaranteed many of them have a wealth of experience. 

I hope to hear something in august and hope gor a start date for bmq in sept in a perfect world that is
I just want to manage your expectations here, *if* you do here something in August it won't be for a BMQ start date of September.  While openings on BMQs do come up (due to people not being able to be enrolled), currently BMQ's starting in mid-October are being filled. Normally when people are given offers, their start dates tend to be 2 to 3 months after the offer.  If you are given an offer you can let your recruiting staff know that you'd like to be loaded on an earlier BMQ if spots are available but there is no guarantee this can occur.