Author Topic: Payroll Deductions  (Read 25371 times)

Offline govenor_mac

• Rate Post
Payroll Deductions
« on: June 04, 2006, 17:17:55 »
Could someone out there please give me a breakdown of payroll deductions for a recruit in training. I am curious to hear how much it is per pay for rations, lodgings etc. I am aware that a 'pay stub' is not given out to each individual with their bi-weekly pay. Why is that?
No pain...no gain!!!

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Payroll Deductions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 17:24:09 »
pay statements are accessible through the DIN...
given that most pay statements look just like the previous ones.... there isn't a need to hunt ya down to give you a copy of what you already know.
Chimo!

Offline CallOfDuty

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 18:05:29 »
  Hey there govenor.....I'm not too sure on how much the rations and quarters were every pay...I didn't have to pay any of that, but I know the reason for no pay stubs is basically to save money and to save trees.  There is a 1-800 number you can call and you set it up so that your pay stub can be sent to an email account of your choice, where you can print it off for your records.  Also if you have access to a dnd computer you can check it out there.
   Cheers
Steve :cdn:
"I bought a box of animal crackers and it said do not eat if seal is broken.  I opened it, and sure enough...................."

Online kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 17:59:08 »
To answer you question CallOfDuty , yes the primary means of secure acess to your pay statment is through the DIN. After reading your query at home, I performed a quick Google and found this FAQ from Maple Leaf, which answers your question on how to get your pay statement sent to your email addy.

Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Sparkplugs

• Rate Post
  • Herc Junkie.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 19:13:39 »
I just got my package for BMQ in the mail yesterday, and in it was a sheet of paper explaining pay and allowances for a private basic.  I'll type them out here for you, just for your own reference.

Single: 

Pay rate:  2421.00
Supplemental death benefits: 5.85
Employment Insurance: 47.21
CF Pension and CPP: 203.44
SISSIP/LTD: 5.07
Income Taxes: 415.51
Sales tax: 0.53
Single quarters: 74.00
Rations: 365.61

Total deductions: 1117.22

Net take home pay:  1303.78

Married:

Single quarters: N/A
Rations: N/A

Total deductions: 677.61

Net take home pay:  2088.39

Hope that helps!
pilot:  Number 3 engine missing.
tech: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

pilot: Aircraft handles funny.
tech: Aircraft told to straighten up, fly right and be serious

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 19:47:13 »
I just got my package for BMQ in the mail yesterday, and in it was a sheet of paper explaining pay and allowances for a private basic.  I'll type them out here for you, just for your own reference.

Single: 

Single quarters: 74.00
Rations: 365.61

Total deductions: 1117.22

Net take home pay:  1303.78

Married:

Single quarters: N/A
Rations: N/A

Total deductions: 677.61

Net take home pay:  2088.39

Hope that helps!

For married it is 2421 - 677.61 = 1743.39 not 2088.39
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Sparkplugs

• Rate Post
  • Herc Junkie.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 19:52:07 »
For married it is 2421 - 677.61 = 1743.39 not 2088.39

Whoops.  I didn't actually do the math, just copied it off of the notice I got...  Thanks for catching that!!

Offline acclenticularis

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 20:11:26 »
Although not a deduction, there is no mention of separation allowance in the schedule above.  Maybe that is the difference between $2,088.39 and $1,743.39 ($345.00).

Offline Sparkplugs

• Rate Post
  • Herc Junkie.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 20:13:18 »
Although not a deduction, there is no mention of separation allowance in the schedule above.  Maybe that is the difference between $2,088.39 and $1,743.39 ($345.00).

D'oh, I missed that.

Sure enough, Separation expense, 11.50 per day, for 345.00 a month, hence 2088.39 a month take home pay.

Now I feel really silly.

Offline govenor_mac

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 21:05:23 »
Thanks very much for the info. I  appreciate it very much.
No pain...no gain!!!

Offline govenor_mac

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 21:09:48 »
There must be more deductions than that as the take home pay is around $600.00 +. Is the board $74.00 weekly?
No pain...no gain!!!

Offline Sparkplugs

• Rate Post
  • Herc Junkie.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 21:33:53 »
I was told that the take home pay was about 650$ every two weeks... So that would make the monthly take home pay about 1300 bucks a month, hence the original reply.

Offline Springroll

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 11:19:41 »
Thanks for posting that info, Sparkplugs.
I have been looking for the specific deductions and such. 
"Take every day with a grain of salt. This works much better if the salt accompanies a Margarita"

Offline Sparkplugs

• Rate Post
  • Herc Junkie.
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 13:27:26 »
Thanks for posting that info, Sparkplugs.
I have been looking for the specific deductions and such. 

No problems, I know I was curious about it earlier too. 

Offline 737?

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 19:08:06 »
Just for clarification, do these deducations start right from BMQ? or does it start after you've finished your MOC and you get posted?

Does the cost of quarters depend on where you're posted? I have asked about MQ as I am engaged and was slightly worried where my husband would be living while I'm posted.

What is amusing to me is that the Recruiter I spoke with neglected to mention all those deductions when I asked about expenses and deductions, and I was most definitely not given a net pay of (approx) 1300 monthly.

Thank goodness for this forum... makes me want to make sure I know exactly what is going on before I finish my application.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 19:18:39 by 737? »

aesop081

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 19:12:25 »
Just for clarification, do these deducations start right from BMQ? or does it start after you've finished your MOC and you get posted?

Starts on the first day of BMQ...

have you ever had a job that deducted EI and taxes only after a year of working there ?

Offline joelok

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 09:01:31 »
Would being common law also give you the married take home rate of $2088.39?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 09:05:17 »
Would being common law also give you the married take home rate of $2088.39?

It would all depend on how you have your pay set up.  If you want to be paid as 'married', you set that up with your Pay Clerk.  If you want to be paid as 'single'; the same thing.  I got paid as 'married' for the first year that I was and didn't really notice any change, until Tax Time.  Then I had to pay.  I went right back into my Pay Clerk and changed it back to being paid as 'Single', and got Tax Refunds every year since.  Your decision.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline joelok

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 10:05:53 »
. " I got paid as 'married' for the first year that I was and didn't really notice any change, until Tax Time.  "

Can you explain what you meant by didn't really notice any change?

What my concerns are is that while I am away at training I will still have pay my rent and bills etc for my spouse so a bi monthly take home of $1044 (married rate) will go a lot farther for me then a take home of $650 (single rate).

Another question I have is does the food and housing deductions stop after basic and battle school or are they a continuous deduction?

Offline acclenticularis

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 13:26:21 »
It would all depend on how you have your pay set up.  If you want to be paid as 'married', you set that up with your Pay Clerk.  If you want to be paid as 'single'; the same thing.  I got paid as 'married' for the first year that I was and didn't really notice any change, until Tax Time.  Then I had to pay.  I went right back into my Pay Clerk and changed it back to being paid as 'Single', and got Tax Refunds every year since.

I don't understand that one.  How can being paid single versus married affect your taxes due?  Unless you mean that the pay clerk deducts more taxes if you say you are single than if you are paid as married.  Regardless of whether you are married or single (depending on spousal income of course), we all have the same amount of taxes that need to be paid, dependent on income.  Or is this something to do with the separation allowance and not paying rations/quarters while on course because you are married.  As a former tax accountant, I really can't wrap my head around this one.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 13:36:11 »
As a former tax accountant, I really can't wrap my head around this one.
  ???

As a former tax accountant you mean to say none of your clients have had deductions taken off as a single person (higher), then have them claim their spouse or equivalent-to-spouse, which means their taxable income is less, thus they get a tax refund based on what they have paid in?
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline acclenticularis

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 13:59:27 »
Regardless of whether you are married or single (depending on spousal income of course)

then have them claim their spouse or equivalent-to-spouse

Whether someone gets to claim this or not is dependent on the spousal income as indirectly noted above.  I should have been more explicit.  Also, maybe some of the following applied in George's case:

Line 305 Equivalent to spouse
You may qualify for this deduction if you were single, divorced, separated or widowed "at any time" in the year and you supported a dependent.  Dependents include your children, your parents or any other relative. Adopted children need not be legally adopted.

So, it is possible to claim it when you, in fact, do not have a spouse.  Anyway, I am not questioning what was done, I said that I don't understand it.  There could be more information that would make it understandable.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 14:24:55 »
  ???

As a former tax accountant you mean to say none of your clients have had deductions taken off as a single person (higher), then have them claim their spouse or equivalent-to-spouse, which means their taxable income is less, thus they get a tax refund based on what they have paid in?

acclenticularis

In military circles it is called KISS.

You are adding a lot of confusion to something that could be so much easier said.

As GAP pointed out, you pay single, which means you are paying the higher rate of Taxes on your pay.  In the end, you should not have to worry about that thousand or several thousand dollar cheque that you have to write the Government.  Instead you get some back.  For get the 'spouse' or 'equivalent-to-spouse' options, as in most cases they don't help much. 

Exceptions of course would be those whose spouse does not work and collects some form of Government funding (to be polite). 

Does the extra few dollars a month that may you get by claiming married or equivalent-to-spouse status save you anything in the long run?  I say no.  A good grip on your finances and budgeting does.

There are many philosophies on how and when to pay Taxes.  You make your own individual choice.  No matter what, the Government wants their money.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline acclenticularis

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 14:34:24 »
Unfortunately, the Tax Act is not simple.  However, if it is just a matter of paying more now, collect later.  KISS it is. 

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 14:40:17 »
We could have easily told him to take out a Payroll Deduction on a Canada Savings Bond and waste his money that way.  I could never understand someone paying over $100, $1000, or whatever amount for that denomination of Bond, only to go out and cash it as soon as it came in, rather than wait the ten or so years to have it mature and give a better rate of return.  I quit getting CSBs back when the rate of returns dropped below the line that would make them a profitable investment, as opposed to other means, but that is a whole different can in the cupboard.   ;D