Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 130936 times)

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
Re: Recipes
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 10:45:42 »
Cole Slaw

2 c cabbage finely shredded
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 Tbsp mayo
1/4 tsp salt

Mix dressing ingredients and toss with cabbage.
Chill and enjoy

HL
"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."~ Gen. Hillier - CDS

Offline Shec

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 10:52:08 »
Thanks for the stuffed mushroom caps recipe HL.  Will make them on Tuesday when my wife gets home.
One stuffed recipe deserves another so here is one of mine:

STUFFED PEPPERS

4-6 green or yellow/orange peppers
1 pound lean ground beef .  (Ground chicken or turkey are good substitutes as Zhatar tends to enhance their flavor)
1/2 cup grated onion
3 tablespoons uncooked rice
1 egg
3 tablespoons water
salt and black pepper
Zahtar (available at any ME food store)

SAUCE:

2 tablespoons oil
1 cup chopped onion
20 ounce can tomatoes (chopped if possible)
3 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons sugar

Prepare peppers by cutting a circle in the top and pulling or cutting out the seeds. Rinse and set aside. In a bowl mix together the meat, grated onion (place a chopped onion and the 3 tbs of water in a food processor and process until pureed), rice, egg, 1 and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper, heaping tbspn of Zahtar.

Stuff peppers with this mixture and place in a roasting pan. In a saucepan, brown the chopped onion in the oil. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes so that flavours will blend. Pour sauce over the peppers making sure that some of the sauce stays on top of the peppers. Cover and bake at 350 until done (45 minutes) basting once or twice. Tastes even better when reheated.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 11:03:05 by Shec »
From the cold water of Fish Creek, into the sunken road at Rumilly, onto the beach at Normandy, and across the wastes of the Sinai desert, the silver gate has gone and is still ready to serve.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 10:53:31 »
I will volunteer(shudder) to compile the recipes for a cook book. (God, what are you doing dummy !!! :crybaby:)

Either list here or PM me so I can give proper attribution to whomever submits them. I will set up the categories, break it down to ingredients, instructions, cooking sections so that it is consistant for all recipes.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 10:55:49 »
PS:  I want a section for field cooking too guys...there are some terrific recipes out there....It's amazing what could be done to make Ham and Lima beans edible, so let's hear them
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2006, 10:57:11 »
I will volunteer(shudder) to compile the recipes for a cook book. (God, what are you doing dummy !!! :crybaby:)

Either list here or PM me so I can give proper attribution to whomever submits them. I will set up the categories, break it down to ingredients, instructions, cooking sections so that it is consistant for all recipes.

:rofl:  I knew someone would be crazy enough to run with my idea.  But seriously, GAP, let me know if you need a hand at all, I'm more then willing to help follow through on the plan.
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2006, 10:59:46 »
And I am willing to eat all the food in the Recipe Book   ;D

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2006, 11:00:02 »
:rofl:  I knew someone would be crazy enough to run with my idea.  But seriously, GAP, let me know if you need a hand at all, I'm more then willing to help follow through on the plan.

You may regret that....then again..so might I  :D

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 11:00:37 »

Down boy!.....cook it yourself !

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2006, 11:03:25 »
Thousand Island Dressing

1 small dill pickle, chopped
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 c low fat mayo

Combine all ingredients.
Makes approx. 3/4 cup

French Dressing

4 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp powdered pectin
1/2 c water
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1Tbsp ketchup

Combine ingredients.  Shake well in a small jar and store in refrigerator.

HL
"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."~ Gen. Hillier - CDS

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 11:04:43 »
Down boy!.....cook it yourself !

but of course!  I can cook (making soup, hot water, and stuff is cooking no?)   :P

Offline Shec

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 11:06:24 »

Does that include the canned or bagged jambalaya heated on the engine manifold?   ;D
From the cold water of Fish Creek, into the sunken road at Rumilly, onto the beach at Normandy, and across the wastes of the Sinai desert, the silver gate has gone and is still ready to serve.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 11:06:43 »
but of course!  I can cook (making soup, hot water, and stuff is cooking no?)   :P

Uh huh....if you are anything like MJP...cook tomato soup with milk on High....stir at end...anything not stuck to bottom of pot is edible  :D

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2006, 11:06:51 »
And I am willing to eat all the food in the Recipe Book   ;D

Thank you Mud for being the first one to sign up to buy a cookbook.  That is very generous of you to support Army.ca, especially when you find out what the introductory price will be.   ;D  Now run along and tell all of your friends about it too.

So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 11:09:40 »
Does that include the canned or bagged jambalaya heated on the engine manifold?   ;D

You sure you want to let that secret out?

Oh, what the ..., yeah, I'm betting there are a lot of FNG that want to follow in the footsteps of those gallant experimenters that finally got it right....(don't mix with antifreeze I would think might be one caution)

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2006, 11:10:09 »
Everyone has their part to do!  I will be the eater of food.   >:D

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2006, 11:33:47 »
Okay let's do some Mexican...shall we
I had this last summer in PEI with a friend who was raised in the Southern states and it is more than worth the effort...

Pozole  Pork and Hominy Soup

1 kg pork shoulder, cut into large pieces
3 litres of water
2 x 500 g cans hominy or corn kernels, drained
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp salt
2 c shredded cabbage, or 1/2 small cabbage shredded
8 spring onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and grated
2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
3 radishes, chopped
3 limes, cut into wedges
3 fresh hot red or green chillies, finely chopped
chili sauce, readymade or homemade

Place pork, water, hominy, onion and salt in a large, heavy based saucepan.  Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 -3 hours, or until the meat is tender.
Remove the pork from soup and cool. Shred meat.  Skim fat from the surface of cooled soup.
Return shredded meat to soup and reheat.
Serve cabbage, spring onions, carrots, tomatoes, radishes, chillies, limes and chili sauce in separate bowls for each person to serve themselves.
You can substitute 2 medium chickens or 1 small turkey for the pork

HL

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2006, 11:36:03 »
So, does HotLips get her own section in the cookbook? or maybe we should build the sections around her so she has a recipe for each.   :D

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2006, 11:39:18 »
Sssh...let her keep posting...this is good stuff...if it fills a section, all the better... ;)

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2006, 11:41:19 »
She is on a mission.  Its best to let it play its course.   :blotto:

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2006, 11:43:24 »
How about some drinks  ;D

Margarita

1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
coarse salt
1 1/2 Tbsp tequila
1 1/2 Tbsp curacao or Cointreau
1/2 c crushed ice

Moisten rim of serving glass with lime juice and dip in the salt.
Place tequila, curacao, remaining lime juice and ice in blender and blend until slushy.
Serve in prepared glass.

A variation is fruit Margaritas ( I like these they are good for you  ;D)

Add a combination of fresh fruit (strawberries, pineapple, mango or bananas) and blend with tequila, curacao, lime juice and ice.
When making fruit margaritas no need to rim the glass with salt and lime...although I have seem them rimmed with coarse sugar.

Enjoy

HL

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2006, 11:47:07 »
Anything with tequila is good for you   ;D

Offline Scott

likes kicking bee hives.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2006, 11:49:31 »
I pared down this thread, mostly on the first page. I also removed the Betty Crocker recipes, who wants their brownies from a bag anyway?

Gimme more booze food.
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2006, 11:51:30 »
Pina Colada

1/3 c coconut milk
1/3 c pineapple juice
1/3 c light white rum
2 Tbsp crushed ice
1 slice pineapple

Place all ingredients except pineapple in blender and blend until frothy
Pour into a chilled glass and garnish with pineapple.

HL

Offline fiddlehead

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2006, 11:54:13 »
borrowed from the Mrs...........

Poached Salmon with Scallops:

salmon fillets (however many people you are going to feed)
white wine
dill weed

Poach the salmon fillets in the white wine and dill weed until done (flakes easily)

Meanwhile, saute scallops with a little minced garlic in butter

when the salmon is done, move to a plate, pour scallops over and sprinkle with sliced green opnion

Adjust the quantities according the number of people being fed!   Best enjoyed with a nice white wine!!

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2006, 11:55:09 »
Pina Colada

1/3 c coconut milk
1/3 c pineapple juice
1/3 c light white rum
2 Tbsp crushed ice
1 slice pineapple

Place all ingredients except pineapple in blender and blend until frothy
Pour into a chilled glass and garnish with pineapple.
HL

Not a lot of palm trees here....other than the vision of me cracking open a coconut with a dull hatchet...is coconut milk available any other way?