Author Topic: Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF  (Read 207139 times)

Offline Brihard

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Upcoming MacLeans Article - Sexual Assaults in the CF
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2014, 16:08:13 »
Thanks Bri

This reminds me of a Sgt who had been tossed in civilian jail for sexual assault.

The story I got from him, which I believe to be true, is that he was having some fun with another guys wife and they got caught. Easier to cry rape I guess.....

Yup. The corollary to that being that police forces used to be far too quick to call 'bull****' on sexual assault allegations, and that in reponse the pendulum swung all the way the other way.

Sex assault investigations are frustrating, lengthy, and often fruitless. Cops hate dealing with them for the most part. Between the amount of BS beind spewed, the scummy nature of a lot of the people you deal with, and the tendency for victims to suddenly recant halfway through an investigation (even when you're damned sure that what they allege did happen), it sucks for cops to work on. And so police force policies often hedge against this by mandating that every allegation be taken fully seriously and investigated as such. So that means that in a BS report, such as the 'oops, I cheated. Rape!' that happens somewhat frequently, people whoa re guilty of nothing more than being a cuckold end up charged. Even is charges are later stayed by the crown (which is NOT the same as them being dismissed), that person remains tainted by the allegation.

But perplexingly, we need to get more actual victims to step forward and say 'yeah, this happened'. I'm dealing right now with a friend who's been through years of it and isn't willing to report things to police. It friggin' sucks.

*hope*

Once upon a time, I worked as a bouncer.  The worst 2 kinds of offenders I saw lots of were (1) young male university students and (2) young male hockey players.  I saw more 'misconduct' to ladies from those 2 groups the few years (4-5) I was a bouncer than my entire time (just shy of 25 years) in the CF around army, navy and air force units.

But, it isn't like stuff is happening that is disturbing at, say, universities for example, right? Say, like chants and stuff!!   Certainly not at places like SMU in Halifax!  Oh...wait.  I don't think I've seen CAF members doing chants like this at unit functions. 

Yup, I hear ya...
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2014, 16:48:42 »
I await their study and report into the same issue at Canada's highest ranking universities.  Most reputable hospitals.  School boards from every province.

I don't think they'll stop just at the CAF because it's a good story and easy group to isolate.   ^-^

Don't forget the RCMP....
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2014, 17:17:10 »
*hope*

Once upon a time, I worked as a bouncer.  The worst 2 kinds of offenders I saw lots of were (1) young male university students and (2) young male hockey players. 

One of our players in Winnipeg who plays at a high level was scratched for several games for an undisclosed injury. The story is that he was trying  to pick up "chicks" at the bar and one of the boyfriends of a young lady objects to this. When the hockey player said "do you know who I am?" (Typical response from a spoiled brat pro athlete) the response was "yeah I do" and it was followed by a few lefts and rights....hence his absence from the line up.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2014, 17:37:41 »
According the CCC, there are four levels of sexual assault:

Sexual assault level 1 (s.271): An assault committed in circumstances of a sexual nature such that the sexual integrity of the victim is violated. Level 1 involves minor physical injuries or no injuries to the victim.
Sexual assault level 2 (s.272): Sexual assault with a weapon, threats, or causing bodily harm.
Aggravated sexual assault (level 3): Sexual assault that results in wounding, maiming, disfiguring or endangering the life of the victim.
Other sexual offences: A group of offences that are meant to primarily address incidents of sexual abuse directed at children. The Criminal Code offences included in this category are: Sexual interference (s.151), Invitation to sexual touching (s.152), Sexual exploitation (s.153), Incest (s.155), Anal intercourse (s.159), and Bestiality (s.160).

Two related offences, not included under the definition of sexual offences in this report, are indecent acts (s.173) and corrupting morals (s.163).

Source: Stats Canada: Sexual Assault in Canada

From the Highlights section of same report: The majority of sexual offences in Canada are of a less severe nature. Victimization data indicate that most sexual assaults involved unwanted sexual touching (81%) rather than more severe sexual attacks (19%). Among the incidents that came to the attention of police in 2007, the large majority (86%) were level 1, the least serious form of sexual assault.

- When asked why they did not tell the police about the sexual assault, a majority of victims (58%) said that they did not report the incident because it was not important enough.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
  • http://goo.gl/1E5Ez0
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2014, 18:18:12 »

From the Highlights section of same report: The majority of sexual offences in Canada are of a less severe nature. Victimization data indicate that most sexual assaults involved unwanted sexual touching (81%) rather than more severe sexual attacks (19%). Among the incidents that came to the attention of police in 2007, the large majority (86%) were level 1, the least serious form of sexual assault.

- When asked why they did not tell the police about the sexual assault, a majority of victims (58%) said that they did not report the incident because it was not important enough.

Kinda hard to make a sensational headline and sell copies out of that so I can see why they wrote what they did.

Offline MCG

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2014, 00:34:05 »
CBC is reporting what is in l'Actualité, and soon to be in Macleans.  From what I understand, they looked at reported assaults, which average 178 per year.  Certain sources posit that only one in ten assaults is reported.  Therefore, they apply math: if 178 assaults represent one in ten, therefore there are 1780 per year, which comes out to just under five per day.
Of course, it is known that the CAF is not a statistical microcosm of the nation.  As a population, the CAF shows a number of statistically significant deviations from Canadians as a whole.  One cannot assume the military follows an estimated Canadian average that only 1 in 10 sexual assaults are reported.  It would be irresponsible to present this extrapolation with any degree of certainty. 

Personally, I would like to think we have a much higher rate of reporting.  There is a very effective system to educate every CAF member about the military's disdain for sexual misconduct and abuses of any sort.  Victims and leaders everywhere should know that such behavior will not be tolerated and offenders are to be held to account.  I would hope we have created an environment where victims know and feel that they are safe coming forward.

That being said, I don't doubt that there are assaults that go unreported.  I would be disappointed but not surprised to learn that only 1 in 5 are reported within the military.  Speculating is no more helpful than extrapolating from a biased sample.  If there is not already statistical data from which to determine the military rate of reporting sexual assault (and I seem to recall questions that would lead to such data on past CAF health or satisfaction surveys), then maybe the CAF needs to get this information in its next the survey/census.

Online Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2014, 00:48:36 »
The three basic problems with putting up numbers to blow up the skirts of the easily shocked in order to sell paper have been hit above, but to summarize:
1) What fits the definition (should be well-defined)
2) What are the proportions of true and false allegations in the mix (fuzzy)
3) Extent to which extrapolations for some other groups can be fitted to CF (wild-*** guess)

If people are serious about addressing the problem of sexual assault, every federal, provincial, and municipal agency should be subject to whatever investigative and corrective measures are deemed appropriate for the CF.  The CF doesn't need to be the poster boy.

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Omnia praesidia vestra capta sunt nobis.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

"But injustice is a rule of the service, as you know very well; and since you have to have a good deal of undeserved abuse, you might just as well have it from your friends."  - The Ionian Mission, by Patrick O'Brian.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2014, 01:25:48 »
The three basic problems with putting up numbers to blow up the skirts of the easily shocked in order to sell paper have been hit above, but to summarize:
1) What fits the definition (should be well-defined)
2) What are the proportions of true and false allegations in the mix (fuzzy)
3) Extent to which extrapolations for some other groups can be fitted to CF (wild-*** guess)

If people are serious about addressing the problem of sexual assault, every federal, provincial, and municipal agency should be subject to whatever investigative and corrective measures are deemed appropriate for the CF.  The CF doesn't need to be the poster boy.

One thing that was brought up by Global is that this isn't just Soldier on soldier complaints but also Civilian on soldier complaints that happen on DND property.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline pontcanna

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2014, 02:23:23 »
I imagine many here have seen this rather harrowing documentary about the issue in the US forces?

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Invisible_War/70229264?sod=search-autocomplete

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_invisible_war/

Online Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2014, 12:51:03 »
I imagine not.  "Documentary", as a film category, ceased to have any meaning a few years back.

"But injustice is a rule of the service, as you know very well; and since you have to have a good deal of undeserved abuse, you might just as well have it from your friends."  - The Ionian Mission, by Patrick O'Brian.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2014, 16:01:16 »
I imagine not.  "Documentary", as a film category, ceased to have any meaning a few years back.

Now it's a witch hunt.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2014, 16:28:21 »
Here's the link to stats can; http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85f0033m/2010024/part-partie1-eng.htm#h2_9

They have it at 68 per 100k for women and 6 per 100k for men.  So either we have higher reporting or several times higher incidence then the general population, or a combination of the two.

Hard to say.  Also impossible to be objective about, but food for thought anyway.  Don't suspect we're any worse then the general population, but worth verifying.

Too bad it is coming from sensationalist journalism though; any good finding will just not get reported.

Offline ModlrMike

is wastin away in Margaritaville.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2014, 16:52:54 »
It is important to realize that journalists require no maths nor science courses in pursuit of their degree, unlike science students who are required to take arts courses. Therefore the ability of a journalist to understand and interpret population statistics should be suspect at best.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline pontcanna

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2014, 18:20:35 »
Now it's a witch hunt.
So in other words, don't want to see it and offer an opinion?

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2014, 18:45:09 »

Excuse me?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators - AES OP
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2014, 19:58:58 »

It is about the US Forces.  And zero idea on credibility of the makers.

Pass.
Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
  • http://goo.gl/1E5Ez0
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2014, 20:50:28 »
I'm surprised this story hasnt gotten the traction I feared it would or perhaos its too soon to tell.  The article itself, as others have noted, it based on faulty assumpions, misleading statistics and, in my opinion,  biased reporting.  We can all agree I'm sure that one SA is one too many but its certainly not the epidemic he makes it out to be.

Online Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2014, 22:33:47 »
>So in other words, don't want to see it and offer an opinion?

Don't want to waste the time.  I have a long reading and viewing list, and the modern propaganda that falls into the category of "film, documentary" is a waste of any thinking person's time.  I understand that there is bad behaviour among soldiers.  I also understand that civilians have been needlessly and incorrectly sensationalizing every twitch among soldiers since cuneiform was invented.

Offline FJAG

• Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Wolf Riedel Google+ Page
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2014, 00:17:49 »
According the CCC, there are four levels of sexual assault:

I think that you are misinterpreting what Brihard was saying and perhaps also reading too much into the Stats Canada item.

Brihard is quite correct when he says that sexual assault includes everything from non consensual groping of a sexual nature to full penetration intercourse.  He was subtly pointing out that Lightguns was wrong when he broke sexual assault into two categories - minor (groping etc) and major (full penetration). The offence described in s 271 in fact covers both situations and more.

What ss 272 and 273 do is create more serious offences where the sexual assault itself is committed under aggravating circumstances (i.e. a weapon is involved, maiming is involved etc). This is why each of these sections contains the phrase "in committing a sexual assault."

The Stats Canada item reflects administrative categorization levels for statistically purposes. The grab bag of "other sexual offences" in the Stats Canada item do not constitute a "fourth level of sexual assault" but is in fact a disparate variety of other categories or types of sexual offences.

I know its a fine point and I fault the Stats Canada item which is somewhat loose in its language. "Level" is a poor word to use and it doesn't appear in the legislation. I'm also not very fond of the phrase "Level 1 involves minor physical injuries or no injuries to the victim." I defie anyone to use this phrase to the victim of sexual assault. More importantly its a wrong statement. For example, a person may be raped at gunpoint and yet have suffered "no injuries" - its clearly a s 272 offence yet it also meets the Stats Canada Level 1 definition. What really creates a s 271 offence is the absence of any of the circumstances that are required to substantiate a charge of sexual assault under s 272 or s 273.

On the subject matter of this thread in general I just have one comment: writers (and their editors) write whatever they want to write. There's an axe to grind here and there is no news value in a story with the headline "Sexual Assaults rates in the CF are the same as in Canadian society as a whole." I expect neither realistic nor intelligible statistics nor fair reporting to come out of this. Is there more we should do to reduce incidents of sexual assault in the CF? You betcha. Do we, as a group, deserve to be pilloried or hung out to dry? No freakin' way. But we will be.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Scott

likes kicking bee hives.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2014, 04:50:01 »

Don't troll.
License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2014, 05:58:57 »
Thanks, FJAG, for that very useful explanation.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2014, 09:13:51 »
This from the CDS on the series ....
Members of the Canadian Armed Forces Team,

By now, many of you will have read or heard about articles in 'Maclean's' and 'L'actualité' regarding allegations of sexual misconduct within the CAF. I'm certain you were as disturbed as I was at the characterization of the chain of command's role in the handling of allegations laid out in these articles. With this note I wish to make several things clear.

First, there can be no ambiguity regarding the characterization of sexual assault as a crime and a breach of the Code of Service Discipline, and I fully expect the chain of command to meet their obligations, legal and ethical, in the careful management of complaints of misconduct. This includes ensuring that complainants are provided appropriate support. It must be clear to everyone within the CAF that complainants are free to report any misconduct, and that they will be supported by their chain of command without fear of reprisal.

Next, as I said in my public statement, I do not accept from any quarter that this type of behaviour is part of our military culture. As uniformed members representing Canadian society, we must maintain the highest ethical and professional standards in all areas of our conduct. The onus is on all levels within the chain of command to ensure that we protect the dignity and safety of our entire Defence Team.

Finally, we have commenced a review of our policies and procedures to better ensure that we have everything in place to foster a healthy and safe workplace for all members, to reinforce the unfettered reporting of any incidents of misconduct, including sexual misconduct.

There is no doubt where our duty lies and I trust in all of you to ensure that we nurture a safe and secure workplace now and into the future. This is a leadership issue and I expect everyone to do their part in this, from the CDS to our newest recruits.
.... with a bit more from the CDS and the Minister:
Statement by General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff

Sexual assault is a crime. It is an abhorrent and corrosive act that goes against the entirety of our military ethos. I do not accept from any quarter that this is merely a part of military culture; it is not. Sexual misconduct of any kind is not and will not be tolerated within the CAF, and this is a message that I reinforce throughout the chain of command. We will pursue any and all allegations of sexual misconduct and we will protect complainants from reprisals.

As military leaders it is our duty to set a standard of respect in the workplace, to nurture that culture with education and training, and to ensure mutual respect through the clear and unambiguous enforcement of the policies and rules that guard the workplace.

In view of recent surveys which have indicated positive trends in workplace culture, the article published today is disturbing. I have directed an immediate internal review of our workplace programmes and policies, and leadership engagement. Further to this, I will consider options for external review.

Statement by The Honourable Rob Nicholson, Minister of National Defence

I was deeply angered to learn of these alleged sexual assaults in the military.

Since 2006, our Government has continuously fought on behalf of victims and enhanced the laws in this country to combat sexual assault.

Sexual misconduct of all kinds will not be tolerated within the Canadian Armed Forces and I have asked the Chief of the Defence Staff to get to the bottom of these serious matters.
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MCG

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
7.6% of RegF service women claim to have been sexually assaulted
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2014, 23:15:49 »
The newest statistics in this debate are now out.  Still disappointing, but believable (unlike the articles from April).

1 in 13 female Canadian soldiers sexually assaulted, but the number may be higher
Emily Chan and Jordan Chittley
CTVNews.ca
15 Aug 2014

Statistics Canada released a survey Friday indicating one in 13 female full-time members of the Canadian Forces had been sexually assaulted in connection with their service, but one expert said the numbers should be much higher.

Of the women surveyed, 7.6 per cent of women reported experiencing "sexual assault while deployed on CF operation or in CF workplace or by CF member or civilian DND employee."

However, 15.6 per cent of women surveyed reported experiencing "sexual assault or unwanted sexual touching while deployed on CF operation or in CF workplace or by CF member or civilian DND employee."

University of Ottawa Phd candidate Ashley Bickerton said while those statistics are troubling, she believes the actual numbers are far higher.

"When we speak about sexual assault in the military we need to be focussing in on one in six rather than one in 13," Bickerton told CTV News Channel on Friday. "We need to be asking more questions related to systemic sexual harassment" in the military, she said.

Bickerton said the reason why she believes it is actually much higher is because the definitions are outdated.

Bickerton said the two definitions Statistics Canada used for the survey are actually one in the same. Statistics Canada said they used those definitions because it coincided with past definitions so they would be able to make accurate comparisons.

"That's fair, but I think that things have changed in recent years," Bickerton said. "Our understanding of sexual assault has certainly been made much more contemporary. Our understanding is much more broad than it has been in the past."

Statistics Canada surveyed 6,700 full-time service members between April and August of 2013. It would not include anyone who was sexually assaulted and left the military or reserves forces. The survey was part of the greater Canadian Forces Mental Health Survey, which also looked at mental health and alcohol use.

Regardless of the numbers in this survey, Bickerton said this is a longstanding problem that needs to be addressed.

A retired judge is currently in the process of putting together an external review into sexual assault policy and procedures, training and culture in the Canadian Armed Forces. The results are expected next spring.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:52:12 by milnews.ca »

Offline MCG

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Deschamps Report - Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct in the CAF
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2015, 00:51:02 »
This may be about to become the big CAF news story for the next little while.
While I still doubt the magnitude suggested in the Maclean's and L'actualité articles, but it was not inconceivable that the organization  had a problem.  I am glad that we will now have the results of somebody who has looked as source evidence as opposed to fantastically extrapolated from numbers.  The CAF may come off looking really bad (or so the speculation seems to be going), but that does not matter if the discoveries and recommendations help improve the organization for the long run.
Canadian Forces brace for report on sexual misconduct in the ranks
Review by former Supreme Court justice expected to blast military leadership

James Cudmore
CBC News
28 Apr 2015

An external investigation of sexual misconduct in the Canadian Forces will target military leadership for failing to better manage the problems of discrimination, sexual harassment and sexual assault in the ranks, CBC News has learned.

Sources familiar with the report say the language used by former Supreme Court justice Marie Deschamps in her report is "quite inflammatory."

Officers at the highest level of the Forces are bracing for the report, which was described as "pretty nasty."

"The report is pretty bad … and won't be good for the Canadian Armed Forces, especially the leadership," one source said.

The military has been preparing for the report's publication for more than a month, and CBC News has learned the government intends to make it public by the end of the week, likely as soon as Thursday, barring any change in plans.

Several senior military officials, including Gen. Tom Lawson, outgoing chief of the defence staff, will be part of a Defence Department presentation of the damning report.

Whatever Deschamps learned has apparently shaken the senior ranks of the military.

"The report is not something [the chief of defence staff] will take lightly," one source said.

Top female general to lead response

In February, Lawson established the Canadian Forces Strategic Response Team on Sexual Misconduct. It's led by Canada's highest-ranking woman, Maj.-Gen. Christine Whitecross, and supported by a top female sergeant-major, Chief Warrant Officer Helen Wheeler.

It's expected Whitecross will be there when the report is released this week and will offer her plan to solve the problems it highlights.

Lawson ordered the external review of sexual misconduct within the Canadian military more than a year ago after a spate of stories in the media suggested the military did not take seriously its responsibility to prevent and investigate misconduct against female soldiers. Some reports suggested sexual assault had reached epidemic proportions in the military.

An article published by Maclean's and L'actualité reviewed military statistics and said an average of about 178 incidents of sexual misconduct are investigated every year. The magazine suggested only about one in 10 assaults is typically reported, suggesting the number of incidents inside the military each year is likely more than 1,780, or about five per day.

The fallout from that report led the Commons defence committee last May to question the military's top general. Lawson conceded he needed more information about the scope of the problem.

"I need to know if barriers exist in reporting incidents of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and need to be certain that the chain of command is reacting to complaints appropriately," he told MPs.

Review looked at rules, procedures

Lawson said the external review he ordered would look at the rules, procedures and the processes the military uses to respond to complaints of sexual misconduct so that more women will trust the military to take them seriously and treat them fairly.

"My heart goes out to them, those individuals need to be well-protected and brought back into an organization that they can trust, so we need to make sure that they can report and that we follow up with investigations and prosecutions," Lawson told reporters last May.

The former justice was appointed by Lawson to lead the external review. That work began in earnest in June last year and her investigation concluded in January.

Deschamps visited with hundreds of soldiers at bases across the country. In some cases, she held separate sessions for soldiers based on rank and gender.

Deschamps has refused several requests to be interviewed, but said by email she was convinced the military would be forthcoming about her report.

"I am convinced the Armed Forces will do their best to ensure that both the report and their position are well understood," she said.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-forces-brace-for-report-on-sexual-misconduct-in-the-ranks-1.3052154

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2015, 00:53:32 »
So the token power point, a couple hail Mary's and the leadership is washed clean.  ::)
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity