Author Topic: CP-140 Aurora  (Read 138431 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: CP-140 Aurora
« Reply #475 on: July 13, 2017, 19:23:17 »
So, uhh, I guess I wasn't so wrong after all....

About?  Which part?
"Stop telling everyone I'm an *******; I like to see the look on their face when they realize it for themselves..."

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #476 on: July 14, 2017, 08:32:45 »
I agree with you, but I wonder how much of the results is due to crew training/currency as opposed to how the airplane performs?

IMHO our skills have slipped (we are bleeding experience) and we are at a tipping point.  Prior to Block III we really had to work the sensors, now we are getting by because we have a powerful sensor suite to back us up. 

The crew that pulled this off was experienced, so in this case I say it was crew training/currency.   However, the recent results from the SIMEX have exposed several areas in which we are lacking.  The aircraft performs well (back end), it's the crew training/currency that needs to be improved.   This is from an ASW perspective, which is the most challenging task we face on the CP-140. 

I don't know if that makes sense or not.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #477 on: July 14, 2017, 09:55:01 »
Makes perfect sense DH.

It's the same for the fleet. ASW is just one of those complex area of warfare that requires a lot of training/currency, and that we never seem to be able to do enough of. Even the fleet has let it slip of late, due to the concentration on surface warfare that recent deployments in the Gulf and the Med have required.

It's not a new phenomena. To quote from the WWII era movie The Cruel Sea:

"So you found a submarine, you say. Oh! Have you? It could be a school of fish, or the Wardroom leftovers the steward just chucked over board. How can you tell the difference? Practice! Lots and lots of lovely practice."

Offline Eye In The Sky

• I can count to potato!
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #478 on: July 14, 2017, 20:59:12 »
IMHO our skills have slipped (we are bleeding experience) and we are at a tipping point.  Prior to Block III we really had to work the sensors, now we are getting by because we have a powerful sensor suite to back us up. 

The crew that pulled this off was experienced, so in this case I say it was crew training/currency.   However, the recent results from the SIMEX have exposed several areas in which we are lacking.  The aircraft performs well (back end), it's the crew training/currency that needs to be improved.   This is from an ASW perspective, which is the most challenging task we face on the CP-140. 

I don't know if that makes sense or not.

The *100%-manned crews* issue is a short/medium term problem, which the solution to is (on paper) easy; train more people.

Having airframes for them to use on training and operational missions, in 2028...that part is the one that worries me.
"Stop telling everyone I'm an *******; I like to see the look on their face when they realize it for themselves..."