I've searched around the boards for this and managed to find some answers to my questions... but not to all of them... and I didn't want to open up a thread from 2005 to answer questions which are only slightly related to the topic. So, I figured I'd fire up this thread and see where it goes. As with all other posts; Mods, feel free to move/merge/delete.
So here's my issue; with out going into crazy background details
... since everyone already knows... here is my current situation. I have been on TCAT since September 06. I returned to work June 07 and am restricted to "clerical work only"... which basically means I'm chairborne... which isn't necessarily a bad thing... but it's not like I'm able to do much else anyway.
So... moving right along; I am up for a medical in April which will determine, or will be used to determine my PCAT... or so I'm told.
Now, My first question was going to be; what does this all mean? Which was already answered in THIS
thread... which is the thread I was going to post in, but decided not to open up an old topic.
Your file has gone to DMed Pol because your new PCAt is below your trade specs, which is the normal thing that happens. Two options which may occur:
1. your deemed unfit for your trade and therefor unemployable...you either be offerd a medical OT or given a medical release.
2. your accommodated as still being employable in your trade and you'll carry on doing your job with medical limitations. (more likely if you are MCpl or above)
It depends what the MO has written on your medical/2088 as your employment limitations.
So... there it is... first question answered.
Which leaves me with a couple other questions;
1) Has this system changed at all to reflect the changes to policy regarding members retaining employment with the CF (eg CANFORGEN 116/04 EXTENSION OF CLASS C RESERVE SERVICE FOR INJURY OR ILLNESS WHILE IN SDA/SDO)?
2) How does this system work for PRes?
3) In regards to the '2 choices' in the quoted text;
a) WRT option 1: my understanding of CF policy (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that all members must past fitness testing annually no matter the trade, so how does this effect an OT? Would not the default setting for this be medical release, since, at present, I couldn't pass a fit test?
b) WRT option 2: what is the likelihood of an non-leadership rank (eg CPL) being offered employment retention with PCAT?
4) Can PCAT and/or Limitations be contested? If I am given limitations in April, and I improve by September (or whenever) can I challenge the PCAT or is it, as the name states, "permanent"?
A few of my other questions were answered in some other threads, but just to clarify;
- Can members on PCAT / TCAT be promoted? My understanding is "No"... especially to leadership ranks
- Can members on PCAT / TCAT be put on course? (eg. PLQ). I figure the answer to this is "no" due to the physical limitations.
Like I said, these questions have been answered, but I just wanted to clarify.
Anyway, I'm starting to worry a bit about my options for staying in the forces.
I've been given some very generous options, including going back to college and retaining a class C or B contract for a while, and I plan on making the most of it... but, what happens after that? I would like to remain in the CF even just as a class A reservist... Ideally, I would love to do another tour or CT to the RegF in a trade relating to my College ed (EME)... but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards.
I'm just looking at the long term and, in the way of my CF 'career', it looks pretty bleak.
Any thoughts on this?
BTW; I do intend on passing my issues up my CoC, I just want to go into this with some insight and information.