Author Topic: Military Discounts List  (Read 585308 times)

Offline camochick

• Rate Post
Re: Military Discounts List
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2005, 16:25:04 »
Don't know if anyone else has poted this but I know for sure avis rent a car gives a discount, so i'm guessing most other car rental companies would too. I should warn some people that the military rate at hotels/motels/car rental agencies isnt always the best rate. Always ask for the best rate first and then tell them you would like to check the military rate. I worked in the hospitality industry for almost three years and i have seen the military rate be almost double sometimes, if they are already having a sale.
I am bushy bushkisser!!!
It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees!!

Offline Bomber

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2005, 16:48:38 »
The gym at NDHQ lists everywhere in Ottawa that you can get anything health related at discounts/free.  The Y's in Orleans and Nepean have free membership for DND military employees, sorry to the civilians.  Avis is one of the few companies that would rent me a car a while back, and said they could only rent to people 19 and up if they were in the military, otherwise it was 25 and over.  Your military ID is still good in the States as well, it gets you in the PX, and onto bases now with the heightened security.  You can also play free squash and work out at the Westin hotel in Ottawa, and swim free at the Champagne pool.  Once, the government rate was actually higher than the posted rate at a hotel, this is done sometimes because the customer will simply call and demand the gov rate, not even asking what the discount/mark up is.

Offline Cpl Bloggins

• Reservist
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2005, 16:51:55 »
Avis is one of the few companies that would rent me a car a while back, and said they could only rent to people 19 and up if they were in the military, otherwise it was 25 and over.  

Really? Wow...anyone know if that's still true today?
VVV

aesop081

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2005, 16:54:10 »
Really? Wow...anyone know if that's still true today?

Camochick can answer that one with authority

Offline camochick

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2005, 17:23:44 »
If i remember correctly in Canada you can rent a car from avis with military Id and a major credit card if you are over 18. Otherwise its over 25. I'm a little rusty on the age limits with military Id but I am almost 100 percent sure with military id it lowers the age. You also have to use the military rate , so it may be a little bit higher than other rates.
I am bushy bushkisser!!!

Offline Cpl Bloggins

• Reservist
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2005, 18:57:02 »
Sweet, thanks for the info.
VVV

Offline Tommy

• If you dont fill out your Claim properly, the Terrorists Win...
  • Rate Post
  • This Space for Rent - Enquire Within
    • iRock
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2005, 20:34:22 »
Avis is GREAT for renting a car. i knew about 3 or 4 guys up at cannought who i worked with who rented from them. got a great deal on the cars and the military discount helped out alot...

things to know for next time! (last time i rented was with budget... and man did i get gouged...)
Tommy is retired now so he can say any opinion he darned well pleases so long as it stays within the forum guidelines :D

Offline camochick

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2005, 20:37:41 »
Avis is a great company. They are one of the only ones that allow one way rentals. They are also awesome for road side assistance and if you want to drive the car across canada they dont care. They also give unlimited milage in 99 percent of the cases. I used to work for them and they are a great company to rent from. Even if they are a little bit more than the competition the standard of car you will get is superior to the others. THey replace a car after 10,000 km's . Anyhow, enough about talkin avis up hehe, i recomend them all the time though and I wont rent from anyone else.  >:D
I am bushy bushkisser!!!

Offline SHELLDRAKE!!

• Rate Post
  • BIG GUN GO BOOM
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2005, 20:39:36 »
 In all the times i've rented a card, i have gotten a military discount as well as usually there is unlimited miles for military pers.
"Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets"-unknown

SHARP WO

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2005, 11:33:03 »
I wonder about the YMCA. I heard from a friend in Ottawa the YMCA lets them in with their military ID for free. I wonder if thats for all YMCA's, that would be great. Save a lot of money on a membership thats for sure.

-KaT

It is not true for all YMCA's, many feel that should pay to use their facilities.

Sharp WO

babicma

« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2005, 21:27:48 »
Our local "ballet" gives free "dance lessons" for CF members!

Offline gunner56

• OC 1 Troop,Squadron Quartermaster
  • Rate Post
  • ZIPPERHEAD
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2005, 21:42:21 »
I don't know if this helps,but CEL Army surplus inMorinville,Ab gives a discount to cadets.It saved me enough to pay for gas and a meal for my son and I,and we live in Calgary.
www.celsurplus.com
PERSEVERANCE  1292 LdSH(RC)RCACC

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2005, 22:03:20 »
Moore`s here in Fredericton gives a 10% Discount for military customers.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline SHELDRAKE

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2005, 13:03:51 »
Well i don't know about anywhere else but here in Brandon (and i think Winnipeg) we have a day (not sure what they call it  "Military shopping day" i believe, but it's where all the local businesses give the military and families a discount, places like Canadian Tire and Walmart etc etc, it only happens once a year, anyone else heard of this?

Jane
Confession is good for the soul,
but bad for your career.

Offline noreaga808

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2005, 13:17:22 »
Hey Babicma, what's the name of this local "Ballet School" of yours? I'd like to visit it once I'm in and where is it? ;D
"Victory is Mine!"- Stewie Griffin

Offline figure_11

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2005, 23:03:28 »
Bell Canada gives a discount for one of their cell phone plans.. I think it ends up being around 50% off, but it's not bad at all.

Offline CFN. Orange

• Rate Post
  • Proud to be Canadian ARTE ET MARTE
    • http://www.25service.ca
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2005, 04:36:13 »
The one major one we all seem to have forgotten, Timmies!

Good old tim hortons seems to always give me a free medium coffee whenever i come in deu's but forsome reason if im just in cadpat i get questioned about it?
Proud to drink and be Canadian.
True Blue Leafs Fan.
ARTE ET MARTE

R421 Weaps Tech (land)
25 Svc Bn (Toronto)

Offline Tommy

• Rate Post
    • iRock
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2005, 08:38:05 »
You get free coffee???

jeez... the ones around burlington hamilton never give me anything for free.....

are you bringing your C7 into the store with you? that might be why  ;D

(you laugh... we had a guy who used to be in our unit do that his C7 on ex once... now when going from A to B we keep our Boomsticks in weapon bags.... :()
Tommy is retired now so he can say any opinion he darned well pleases so long as it stays within the forum guidelines :D

Offline CFN. Orange

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2005, 02:01:04 »
Nope deffinatley dont bring the c7 or any other firearm in to timmies.

Its wierd though i get it at most tim hortons just wearing deus... other then that if im in cadpat i get nothing or just a blank stare?
True Blue Leafs Fan.
ARTE ET MARTE

R421 Weaps Tech (land)
25 Svc Bn (Toronto)

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2005, 02:13:58 »
The one major one we all seem to have forgotten, Timmies!

Good old tim hortons seems to always give me a free medium coffee whenever i come in deu's but forsome reason if im just in cadpat i get questioned about it?

Really? I've always paid for mine (Not that I'd ever go *looking* for a free one anyway), though I can't see them handing them out for free... I'd say at least 30% of their business is military at the tim's near the base...
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline CFN. Orange

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2005, 02:47:38 »
its not that i go outta my way specifically for free coffee...I infact have always had money in my hand when ordering...expecting to pay the amount. But forsome reason i haven't had to. I thank the server and leave...Sometimes Im asked if im a cop and i respond with no im in the army yet i still get a free coffee who knows. I have had some experiences where the coffee hasn't been free...Maybe its my killer good looks ::)... maybe just luck ;D
True Blue Leafs Fan.
ARTE ET MARTE

R421 Weaps Tech (land)
25 Svc Bn (Toronto)

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2005, 16:23:07 »
Rogers Canada will give all DND employees a discount on Cell phone services.
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Offline Tommy

• Rate Post
    • iRock
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2005, 23:34:58 »
yeah.. with the DEU's they probabbly think your a cop or firefighter or something.....

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2005, 21:30:31 »
Here in Australia, there is the ADF Defenders programme. Basically you get a card with your name and Regt'al number on it, and you can even get a card for your spouse too.

The programme offers heaps of discounts Australia wide (booklet printed and sent annually) from accomodation to new cars, electrical things etc. You name it. A nationally sponsered thing, which many major companies recognise.

Many decent Disposals too recognise your ADF service, giving ADF discounts on kit, and there is a one time ADF home loan for up to $80,000AUD, with cheap interest rates. Great if both spouses are serving (and it's for ARA and ARes too). A mininum of 8 yrs service required for the loan.

Not bad perks at all really.

Cheers,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Pugnacious

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2005, 18:59:30 »
Nope deffinatley dont bring the c7 or any other firearm in to timmies.

Its wierd though i get it at most tim hortons just wearing deus... other then that if im in cadpat i get nothing or just a blank stare?

I guess maybe it means that the Cadpat is working.  ;D

Also nice to see CF members getting some support.

And well put about the "national police" thing...
I have many collage and uni' (so called) friends that gave me funny looks when I said I wanted to join the Army.

Cheers!
P.