Author Topic: Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)  (Read 109723 times)

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)
« Reply #375 on: December 22, 2016, 13:39:38 »
No w I want to know more about "John Royal of Green Beer fame?"

Though Niven misspells his name in his book (it is actually Royle), the "green beer" story is from when both served together as subalterns in the Highland Light Infantry.  An inkling of (later) Major Royle's activities during the war can be found here http://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/john_royle.htm .
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Online Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)
« Reply #376 on: December 22, 2016, 13:50:30 »
Great book which I read years ago. Will have to find it again. Another funny anecdote was Mess Dinner in Malta in the 30's. The dinners, old rules, were held late at night due to the heat and would last for hours. The subalterns would pass wine (empty) bottles around to relieve themselves under the table.

Spike Milligan, Irish comic anecdote along the same lines.  Sleeping in tents one of the gun crew got an cycle inter tube to wrap around so he did not have to get up in the night to piss. Spike tied a knot in it with the resulting hilarity .

During the Second World War, Milligan served as a signaller in the 56th Heavy Regiment Royal Artillery, D Battery (later 19 Battery), as Gunner Milligan, 954024. The unit was equipped with the obsolete First World War era BL 9.2-inch howitzer and based in Bexhill on the south coast of England. Milligan describes training with these guns in part two of Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall, claiming that, during training, gun crews resorted to shouting "bang" in unison as they had no shells with which to practise.

Good books.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Editor, The Devils' Blast, the Annual Chronicle of The Royal Winnipeg Rifles

http://www.royalwinnipegrifles.com/regimental-association/the-devils-blast/