Author Topic: Tattoo Thread - including current policy [MERGED]  (Read 178271 times)

Offline Sir Robert Peel

• Rate Post
Re: Merged Tattoo Thread (including 2012-13 policy)
« Reply #550 on: July 03, 2016, 13:16:01 »
I am reading a lot of posts about what is acceptable and what is not, but I am not seeing any information on my question so I am going to ask. Two of my tattoos were deemed as unacceptable which stopped my recruitment process, not that they were offensive they were just misinterpreted. With that being said I have had the two tattoos altered so they no longer look anything like the used to. I have recently re-submitted them to Ottawa for approval. Does anyone know the chances of them being approved the second time around or if anyone has gone through the same process and has any information what to expect I would certainly love to hear it. Thank you.
Daddy is the highest rank of all.

Offline Bigblueshark

• Rate Post
Tattoos for officers
« Reply #551 on: September 12, 2016, 21:48:15 »
Sorry if this post seems needless. I have searched all over the forums for rules regarding tattoos on officers. I have read the CAF FAQs and found that anywhere other than neck, head, or ears is aloud. However I have already applied and passed my air crew selection and am now considering a half sleeve starting from the wrist bone up to the elbow on my forearm.

I assume it is alright but I have a feeling that an officer might be held to a different standard and I am worried this could jeopardize my career. It is not offensive and will just involve the ocean with a few small details.

I've seen countless members with sleeve tattoos but again not any officers. Any feedback or personal experiences are appreciated!
Thanks

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Tattoos for officers
« Reply #552 on: September 12, 2016, 22:30:40 »
Sorry if this post seems needless. I have searched all over the forums for rules regarding tattoos on officers. I have read the CAF FAQs and found that anywhere other than neck, head, or ears is aloud. However I have already applied and passed my air crew selection and am now considering a half sleeve starting from the wrist bone up to the elbow on my forearm.

I assume it is alright but I have a feeling that an officer might be held to a different standard and I am worried this could jeopardize my career. It is not offensive and will just involve the ocean with a few small details.

I've seen countless members with sleeve tattoos but again not any officers. Any feedback or personal experiences are appreciated!
Thanks

It's 2016, just don't get anything offensive and you'll be fine.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #553 on: September 13, 2016, 10:53:33 »
As an officer with multiple tattoos, please allow me to comment.

Although you are technically correct and a non-offensive sleeve tattoo should not be an issue, I would recommend you wait until you are actually in the CAF before getting such a tattoo.  Although the regulations say it's OK, the fact remains that for the most part, tattoos are not as common in the officers' mess as they are elsewhere. At the very least, they may give you a hard time on basic training (watch An Officer and a Gentleman).  My general advice for anyone is that tattoos should be able to be covered up when wearing any military order of dress (including the short-sleeve shirt orders).  Once you're in the CAF and finished basic training and your position is secure, you can start to let your personality out for others to enjoy, but until that point, it is probably best to conform with the norm.  It just makes life easier.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline New_Guy24

• Rate Post
« Reply #554 on: September 13, 2016, 16:16:30 »
I am an officer and I have both of my arms and hands tattooed.  It is quite uncommon but it is allowed. 

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #555 on: September 13, 2016, 17:51:32 »

Thanks

When in doubt, consult Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/3o7viy/what_are_your_opinions_of_tattoos_on_officers/
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #556 on: September 13, 2016, 18:01:36 »
I have merged this into the existing twenty-three-page tattoo thread because:

It was completely unnecessary to start yet another tattoo thread,

It was not an appropriate post for the "Ask a CAF Recruiter" forum, and

Several people responded, contrary to the "Ask a CAF Recruiter" forum rules.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #557 on: September 13, 2016, 18:02:21 »
When in doubt, consult Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/3o7viy/what_are_your_opinions_of_tattoos_on_officers/

Reddit is cute and all, but I prefer army.ca.  They have been more accurate, and have been around longer discussing Canadian military things and stuff....

;)

:2c:

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline WestGirl36

• Rate Post
Tattoos
« Reply #558 on: September 14, 2016, 14:59:40 »
Hello again,

Sorry for the flood of questions. Really trying to find out the information I need and having a lack of resources to a recruiting office up north.

I have read from previous posts that tattoos on face, neck, ears are not allowed. I have a small tattoo of a bird behind my ear. Will this be not allowed as it is mostly hidden?

Thank you again for your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
Re: Tattoos
« Reply #559 on: September 14, 2016, 15:23:44 »
Good Day,

Please see the following thread that I have just created: http://navy.ca/forums/index.php/topic,124119.0.html

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Tattoos
« Reply #560 on: September 14, 2016, 15:25:56 »
Tattoos.....A long and constantly asked topic.  Please read at your leisure:

http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=869.325

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=army.ca%2C+tattoos

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #561 on: September 14, 2016, 15:28:26 »
READ

Posted by Sgt Lean

To clear up the many questions about Tattoo's that keep appearing.  Recruiters and File Managers cannot tell you if your tattoo will or will not be approved upon your recruiting process.  The only people involved in that are the MCC, UPSO, CFRC CO, RPSO, CFRG CWO & CFRG Commander (acronyms defined below).

If you do not have a tattoo and you are thinking about getting one - your best bet is to hold off.  As a Recruiter I will not tell you not to get one, but when you are trying to join an organization with a tattoo policy your best bet is to hold off.

STEP 1

Initial assessment of eligibility by the Military Career Counsellor (MCC). When there is no doubt that the applicant is in compliance with the CAF tattoo policy, the MCC can continue processing the application. When in doubt, the MCC remains the main point of contact for applicant counselling and must take the following steps:
a.   During the eligibility interview, the MCC must ask the applicant whether they have any tattoos and if so must ask the applicant for a description of all their tattoos, as well as their meaning and location, as set out in the interview guide;
b.   The MCC must record the information concerning all tattoos in the interview guide;
c.   When in doubt, the MCC can ask an applicant to take photos of his/her tattoos for evaluation purposes;
d.   When in doubt, the MCC must do research to determine what the tattoos represent;
e.   If still in doubt, the MCC must ask the UPSO (Unit Personnel Selection Officer) for his/her opinion;
f.   The decision must be recorded; and
g.   If the file must be sent to the CFRC CO for a final decision, the MCC must fill out the CFRG Tattoo Evaluation Request form and send it to the UPSO.

STEP 2

Eligibility evaluation and recommendation by the UPSO.  If required by the MCC, the UPSO must take the following steps:
a.   Make sure that the MCC has considered and evaluated all compensating factors and/or all circumstances;
b.   Review all CFRG Tattoo Evaluation Request forms to verify accuracy, perform quality control (QC) and verify the justification including any additional research regarding the meaning of a tattoo;
c.   The CFRC CO must refer, via the UPSO, to precedents before making a final decision. All similar tattoos that have previously been evaluated and denied by a CFRC CO or the Comd CFRG are considered precedents. The CFRC CO can ask for the RPSO’s opinion before making a final decision;
d.   Ensure that relevant notes have been written in the General Comments section (if applicable) and that the photos have been scanned;
e.   Write his/her own evaluation in the general comments section (opinion, future actions if applicable);
f.   Forward approval requests to the CFRC CO, in cases where there is serious doubt at to the application of the tattoo policy.  The UPSO can ask the RPSO’s opinion before submitting the file to the CFRC CO;
g.   If the applicant wants to appeal, the UPSO must send the approval request to the Comd CFRG, via the RPSO;

STEP 3

Review and recommendation of the RPSO. When a request is sent to the RPSO, via the UPSO, for the Comd CFRG’s consideration, the RPSO will conduct an analysis and make recommendations, taking into account the research conducted, the descriptions and meanings provided, including compensating factors, and will forward the request to the CFRG CWO

STEP 4

Review and recommendation of the CFRG CWO. As senior advisor to the Comd CFRG on matters of dress, the CFRG CWO can make a recommendation to the Comd CFRG.

STEP 5

Final and binding decision of the Comd CFRG.

**** NOTE: No further questions will be answered about the tattoo policy and this thread is going to be locked.  The above information is accurate as of 14-Sep-2016 and may not be 100% accurate at any time past that date ****
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #562 on: September 14, 2016, 16:41:02 »
Reply #561,
"If you do not have a tattoo and you are thinking about getting one - your best bet is to hold off.  As a Recruiter I will not tell you not to get one, but when you are trying to join an organization with a tattoo policy your best bet is to hold off."

And, if there is a possibility you may one day Release from the CAF and go through the Application Process with another employer, to perhaps consider the above advice.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 17:00:52 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #563 on: September 15, 2016, 10:00:21 »
This is general advice, that applies to many things, not just tattoos:

During the course of one's career in the armed forces, there will come a time when eccentricity and having an interesting and different personality will be admired, remembered and possibly rewarded (even if that only means not getting into too much crap).

THE RECRUITING PROCESS AND BASIC TRAINING ARE NOT THAT TIME.

Get in, get settled and prove yourself professionally before letting your personality shine.  The goal is to be "that guy" who everybody remembers fondly and tells great stories about, not "that guy" who gets unceremoniously punted at Week 2 and whose name is forgotten by the end of the course.

Offline delta_19

• Rate Post
« Reply #564 on: November 14, 2016, 00:55:35 »
So I've been in for two years now and am thinking about getting a piercing well on christmas leave and was looking for some insight. I was just wondering if anyone else here has got a piercing well on leave and how that worked out for them? how did you keep the holes open at work, because I know even piercings that have been there for over a year can heal when not in use. Any info would help.

thanks

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #565 on: November 14, 2016, 03:26:28 »
So I've been in for two years now and am thinking about getting a piercing well on christmas leave and was looking for some insight. I was just wondering if anyone else here has got a piercing well on leave and how that worked out for them? how did you keep the holes open at work, because I know even piercings that have been there for over a year can heal when not in use. Any info would help.

thanks

The key factor that you haven't mentioned is location. Piercings on the nipple or genitalia, while technically in violation of the dress policy, in practice they are unlikely to be noticed or detract from a professional military appearance. Noses and eyebrows, on the other hand, are a pretty obvious violation of the rules.

Offline delta_19

• Rate Post
« Reply #566 on: November 14, 2016, 06:43:51 »
would be a single lip piercing.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #567 on: November 14, 2016, 07:42:18 »
So I've been in for two years now and am thinking about getting a piercing well on christmas leave and was looking for some insight. I was just wondering if anyone else here has got a piercing well on leave and how that worked out for them? how did you keep the holes open at work, because I know even piercings that have been there for over a year can heal when not in use. 

See also,

Body Piercings 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=66071.25
3 pages.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:47:41 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #568 on: November 14, 2016, 12:28:34 »
would be a single lip piercing.

Don't waste your money. The first time you go on an extended course, exercise, or operation, it will heal over.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline delta_19

• Rate Post
« Reply #569 on: November 14, 2016, 12:37:31 »
AVS labs the chances of me getting a deployment in during the remainder of my contract is very small.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #570 on: November 14, 2016, 13:23:47 »
AVS labs the chances of me getting a deployment in during the remainder of my contract is very small.

Then why not wait until you get out?

Offline delta_19

• Rate Post
« Reply #571 on: November 14, 2016, 13:44:12 »
because thats still 3 years away.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #572 on: November 16, 2016, 11:47:47 »
A lot can happen in three years.  I wouldn't discount deployment quite yet.