Author Topic: Trades OPEN / Closed ?  (Read 471282 times)

Offline Harv

• Rate Post
Trades OPEN / Closed ?
« on: August 10, 2009, 18:29:50 »
I recently applied to the army did well on the CFAT they did my background check and everything checked out fine. Then two days before my medical they called to cancel because they're not hiring infantry right now. Has anyone else expierenced this and long did you have to wait.

Offline FromSafetyDataNOTSafe

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
Re: Not hiring infantry
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 18:41:47 »
That would be a little anger inducing, considering I just have my interview to do in a few days... which could of been done 3 weeks ago when there were still spots open and did my CFAT and medical...  ::)

Offline Neo Cortex

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 18:42:36 »
I recently applied to the army did well on the CFAT they did my background check and everything checked out fine. Then two days before my medical they called to cancel because they're not hiring infantry right now. Has anyone else expierenced this and long did you have to wait.

I was at the CFRC today and of the 6 of us doing the CFAT and/or Interview, 4 wanted Infantry as either their first or second choice. They were all told it's not opening up until April, I believe.

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 18:45:37 »
Wow, if that's true I'm gonna cross the border and see if THEY have any openings for a wannabe infantryman.

3 flipping weeks I've been waiting for just the interview while the infantry spots filled up... unbelievable if it turns out to be so.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 18:49:16 by erikh »

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 18:50:42 »

Regular, or Reserve?

If Reserve, what community?

Offline Neo Cortex

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 18:54:10 »
They were all Reg Force. I picked another trade entirely though, so it's second-hand information about when the Trade opens up.

It was also mentioned that both Artillery and Armoured are "red", though I'd be just as wary about trusting that as the rest of the information (the obvious issues with "a guy said another guy said his recruiter told him...")

Edit: for grammar and paragraphing.
Edit 2: To remove unnecessary quote, and to fix more grammar:)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 20:11:07 by Neo Cortex »

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 18:57:50 »
That would be a little anger inducing, considering I just have my interview to do in a few days... which could of been done 3 weeks ago when there were still spots open and did my CFAT and medical...  ::)

Uhmmm, I'm just thinking out loud here --- perhaps there were others in line to apply before you who should have thus gotten their interviews for those avail infantry posns before you?
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 19:02:43 »
I was told that the RCR filled up very fast, ~18 spots left, and that I would likely get PPCLI instead, as of July 20. Now I hear they're full? excuse me, I'm a little flipping tweaked. :rage:

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 19:07:03 »
I was told that the RCR filled up very fast, ~18 spots left, and that I would likely get PPCLI instead, as of July 20. Now I hear they're full? excuse me, I'm a little flipping tweaked. :rage:

Chill, maybe the Recruiting Centre didn't know while you were there, and even if they did, there was probably a waiting list of completed files that would have taken those slots anyway.  You will have to learn patience, no matter what army you choose to join.

Offline basrah

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 19:17:09 »
As someone serving in an infantry bn I find it hard to believe they are not hiring infantry... there are a lot of vacant spots in our unit.

For the guy who says he will go south of the border to join, I would suggest you think very long and hard about this. Think of doing your time and getting a call 7 years down the line saying you have to report back to a US base in 2 weeks or face jail time. Perhaps the stop loss program where they wont let you leave is appealing as well? Seriously, think long and hard about joining the US military, its not worth it.

For those who would consider joining their 2nd choice, tanker or artillery, also think long and hard about it. If you are really interested in being an infanteer, you are going to strongly regret your choice. Trust me, being an infanteer is worth the wait.

Push your case at the recuiting centre and tell them you are only interested in infantry and want nothing else. They may be trying to fill those red trades with those who are opting on a green one.
Get ready! Seatbelts off! Stand up! Check static line! Check your equipment! Sound off equipment check! Get ready!
GO !!!!!

MikeL

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 19:23:12 »
Wow, if that's true I'm gonna cross the border and see if THEY have any openings for a wannabe infantryman.

Yea.. its not as easy as going to the states, finding the nearest recruiter an saying you want in.  Theres a lil thing called immigration.  You must be a US Citizen or have a Green card to join, an the Military will not sponser you to get one. So unless an immediate reletive is a US Citizen or holds a Green Card you are **** Outta Luck.   

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 19:25:11 »
I've sat here for 3 weeks waiting for this interview that could of been done that day, only to find out that they're no longer going to hire me regardless of the interview, 2 days before I'm supposed to do it... that's just flipping great.

So I do my interview... okay, good, but we're not hiring any more foot soldiers, we may contact you next April if we don't forget about you or misplace your application... flipping fantastic.

"For the guy who says he will go south of the border to join, I would suggest you think very long and hard about this. Think of doing your time and getting a call 7 years down the line saying you have to report back to a US base in 2 weeks or face jail time. Perhaps the stop loss program where they wont let you leave is appealing as well? Seriously, think long and hard about joining the US military, its not worth it."

I just want to be a soldier. If my own country "isn't hiring" flipping infantry, and the US army will take me, I will absolutely cross the border next week and peruse that... rather than twiddle my thumbs for another 8 months. I'd rather not go that route, but I can't wait any longer. It's been long enough.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 19:27:58 »
Why don't you go talk to the Recruiting Centre and work with facts related to your own file?  For all we know there are other issues that will hold up your file until infantry slots open up anyway.

MikeL

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 19:28:53 »
Think of doing your time and getting a call 7 years down the line saying you have to report back to a US base in 2 weeks or face jail time. Perhaps the stop loss program where they wont let you leave is appealing as well? Seriously, think long and hard about joining the US military, its not worth it.

Thats a bit extreme...  yes people have been stop lossed, but not every Soldier or Marine has been affected by it.

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 19:29:13 »
Yea.. its not as easy as going to the states, finding the nearest recruiter an saying you want in.  Theres a lil thing called immigration.  You must be a US Citizen or have a Green card to join, an the Military will not sponser you to get one. So unless an immediate reletive is a US Citizen or holds a Green Card you are **** Outta Luck.
I don't know about that. I've heard stories about people gaining their US citizenship by serving in Iraq. There is probably a large % of non-US citizens, from Mexico and other Central American countries, serving in a US branch of service.

I'm certainly not going to sit around for 8 more months, hoping my application isn't misplaced, when I could TRY and join as an infantryman in a US force, regardless of weather or not I actually get in, I'm not going to sit around. If they take me, even better.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 19:32:01 by erikh »

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 19:30:51 »
As someone serving in an infantry bn I find it hard to believe they are not hiring infantry... there are a lot of vacant spots in our unit.

For the guy who says he will go south of the border to join, I would suggest you think very long and hard about this. Think of doing your time and getting a call 7 years down the line saying you have to report back to a US base in 2 weeks or face jail time. Perhaps the stop loss program where they wont let you leave is appealing as well? Seriously, think long and hard about joining the US military, its not worth it.

For those who would consider joining their 2nd choice, tanker or artillery, also think long and hard about it. If you are really interested in being an infanteer, you are going to strongly regret your choice. Trust me, being an infanteer is worth the wait.

Push your case at the recuiting centre and tell them you are only interested in infantry and want nothing else. They may be trying to fill those red trades with those who are opting on a green one.

::)

I can't believe this whole topic.  So Infantry is full at the momment.  That means that there are enough people currently hired to fill the Training Systems slots for BMQ and then DP1 Infantry.  There are only so many Instructors and rooms, etc. in the training facilities to accommondate a fixed number of candidates.  Think of when you went to school or applied for any other job.  Were there an infinite number of spots for you?  NO!

Shake your heads.  Patience.  Wait for your first choice or take your Second Choice.

AND basrah.....Infantry sucks.  ARMOUR rules!    ;D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME Instr
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 19:33:49 »
I don't know about that. I've heard stories about people gaining their US citizenship by serving in Iraq. There is probably a large % of non-US citizens, from Mexico and other Central American countries, serving in a US branch of service.

I'm certainly not going to sit around for 8 more months, hoping my application isn't misplaced, when I could TRY and join as an infantryman in a US force, regardless of weather or not I actually get in, I'm not going to sit around. If they take me, even better.

Then don't let the door hit you on the way out.........
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 19:34:40 »

Okay, if that's your decision, we're sure gonna miss ya.  Buh bye now.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

MikeL

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 19:35:38 »
I don't know about that. I've heard stories about people gaining their US citizenship by serving in Iraq.

Reread what I posted....  You either must already be a US Citizen or hold a Green Card.  So yes those with a Green Card after meeting the pre-reqs can get US Citizenship.

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 19:38:22 »
Then don't let the door hit you on the way out.........
I want to be an infantryman, our army won't take me... so you don't need to be rude.

I'm fiercely patriotic. Even run a website about Canadian soldiers, that I spend most of my free time on... I just want be a soldier, and I'm way over due joining up as it is. I don't think waiting 8 more months is a good option for me.

So I really hope that somehow for me, this doesn't turn out to be so.

Offline basrah

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 19:41:16 »
Thats a bit extreme...  yes people have been stop lossed, but not every Soldier or Marine has been affected by it.

I served 14 months on a private detail in Iraq in 05/06, and I cant even count how many people I met who were either stop lossed, or called back into service. I met a MSgt who had served in Vietnam and was called back 20 years later because he was the only person they could find who knew how to do his job. It is a VERY real part of joining the US military, and anyone thinking about it should be aware of it.

I really suggest sitting tight and waiting this one out. Yeah, it may be full now, but if you really want something, isnt it worth waiting for? By the time one was to go through the process of joining the US military it wouldnt have taken much longer than joining our own.

Dont worry about whether or not they take you though, standards have gotten lower over the years, and if you are looking to serve as a cog in a machine Im sure they have a spot for you.

G.W., well, from all the stories I hear from tankers, they certainly are single handedly winning the war over there.
Get ready! Seatbelts off! Stand up! Check static line! Check your equipment! Sound off equipment check! Get ready!
GO !!!!!

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 19:50:40 »
I want to be an infantryman, our army won't take me... so you don't need to be rude.

I'm fiercely patriotic. Even run a website about Canadian soldiers, that I spend most of my free time on... I just want be a soldier, and I'm way over due joining up as it is. I don't think waiting 8 more months is a good option for me.

So I really hope that somehow for me, this doesn't turn out to be so.

::)

Joining the military, any military, is not "Your Right".

You have to meet the criteria.  It is a hard earned priviledge.  Your patriotic stance looses all credibility with your statement that you can join another nation's military.  Your whole credibility is pretty well summed up now.

Guess that sums this up.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 19:53:43 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline brandon_

CT is in the works!

• Rate Post
  • My ct is no longer in the works...
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 19:51:04 »
I just want to be a soldier. If my own country "isn't hiring" flipping infantry, and the US army will take me, I will absolutely cross the border next week and peruse that... rather than twiddle my thumbs for another 8 months. I'd rather not go that route, but I can't wait any longer. It's been long enough.
[/quote] Dont Join the U.S ARMY if you really want join the British army it will take less time in the US but around the same time as CND  either way your waiting for 8 months to a year.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 19:56:53 »
 Dont Join the U.S ARMY if you really want join the British army it will take less time in the US but around the same time as CND  either way your waiting for 8 months to a year.

Are you a card carrying Status Indian or an American citizen?  If not you can not join the US military.  Even the French Foreign Legion is not taking "just anyone" off the streets anymore.  And; the US does not have a Foreign Legion.

Offline bomber12

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 19:57:49 »
I am applying for infantry. I was supposed to go for the one day processing about a month ago now and never got the call to actually go. I have been calling my recruiter every couple days since then leaving messages but he never gets back to me. I have even emailed numerous times. I guess this is why. All I can say is I am freaking waiting and when my time comes I am going to be very happy.