Author Topic: Therapeutic Cannabis use  (Read 42727 times)

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Thank god the Taliban doesn't use attack dogs.
Re: Therapeutic Pot use
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2010, 19:08:45 »
I saw an article today that an ex PPCLI soldier with PTSD who smokes pot heavily is running for mayor of Kingston. 

Edit: Found it.  WRT Copywright laws the entire article from the Ottawa Sun is located here:
http://www.evri.com/media/article;jsessionid=9wsl2lmwuyx0?title=Pot-smoking+vet+runs+for+mayor&page=http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/ottsun/100509/canada/pot_smoking_vet_runs_for_mayor&referring_uri=/organization/ppcli-0x390012;jsessionid%3D9wsl2lmwuyx0&referring_title=Evri

Pot-smoking vet runs for mayor
By IAN ELLIOT, QMI AGENCY
Last Updated: May 9, 2010 10:04pm

KINGSTON — A man who describes himself as a pot-smoking veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder who hates to leave his house is running for mayor in Kingston.

Greg Soucie says he’s a former member of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry who served in the former Yugoslavia, where he claims to have prevented “a blood bath … in Serb-held Croatia in 1993 between Canadian troops and Serb farmers.”

Lots more of the article on link above.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 19:48:34 by Petamocto »
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway." - Roosevelt

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2010, 19:27:27 »
I saw an article today that an ex PPCLI soldier with PTSD who smokes pot heavily is running for mayor of Kingston.

See!!......He has lost his mind :nod: ;D ;D

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2010, 20:03:00 »
No....but seriously. The pharmacist gives you a bag of pot that is supposed to last for so many
days. If it so happens that you run out....for one reason or another.....What do you do?
Having the necessary papers in your pocket, you could easily go out there and procure your own from the street dealers.
So I think there should be some tight control over the daily dose situation, like having it delivered to your home by the pharmacy delivery man on a daily basis. Eliminating that special paper in your pocket. Except for certain occasions that could arise. It just seems better overall to use the more traditional medications and other pain management solutions, like some members have suggested.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2010, 20:09:24 »
No....but seriously. The pharmacist gives you a bag of pot that is supposed to last for so many
days. If it so happens that you run out....for one reason or another.....What do you do?
Having the necessary papers in your pocket, you could easily go out there and procure your own from the street dealers.
So I think there should be some tight control over the daily dose situation, like having it delivered to your home by the pharmacy delivery man on a daily basis. Eliminating that special paper in your pocket. Except for certain occasions that could arise. It just seems better overall to use the more traditional medications and other pain management solutions, like some members have suggested.

Apply your reasoning to any other drug, prescribed and legal, that can become addictive.

If you are using the drug to better yourself, self control must be used.  Monitoring by your doctor.  Marijuana is not the Magic drug that will turn people into drug fiends overnight.  There are drugs, much more potent, being given to people, serving and not, that are not vilified as much as MJ.

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2010, 20:17:03 »
Well, if I was given the choice between a hit of a joint three times daily as required for pain, or an equal amount of Demerol,  I'll take the big D every time... I like him, and he likes me.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2010, 20:26:07 »
...Demerol...

When my pregnant wife's appendix ruptured, Dr Onatchi in Pembroke gave her Demerol.

A few months later when she delivered in Ottawa they asked her what sort of pain medication in the past had worked before.  She told them Demerol worked great a few months before and they couldn't believe he gave it to her because it apparently causes still births and it all seemed to be universal knowledge to them.

It was the first time in my life I wanted to murder someone (didn't act on it, thank god the Minority Report red ball thing does't exist).
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway." - Roosevelt

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2010, 20:30:50 »
I gave birth to some deformed things when I was on Demerol, but no miscarriages.  Bottom line, my back hurt like hell without it, felt good with it.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2010, 20:33:28 »
I gave birth to some deformed things when I was on Demerol, but no miscarriages.  Bottom line, my back hurt like hell without it, felt good with it.
Too much info!

Oh, I wish fatties were legal for recreational use.  I could use one after that mental image!
So, there I was....

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2010, 20:57:43 »
Too much info!

Oh, I wish fatties were legal for recreational use.  I could use one after that mental image!

Don't Bogart that Fattie, Viking, I need a haul on it too after that image....

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2010, 21:01:21 »

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSoucman#p/u/3/ZOvtKbPxQEo

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2010, 21:04:25 »
Guys.......please try to keep it on the subject matter
               Although I admit that Demeral is a quick reaction pain solution.

Didn't care much for the youtube thing.......buddy has enough of his own problems without adding a citys' worth.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 21:16:59 by 57Chevy »

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2010, 21:17:41 »
Guys.......please try to keep it on the subject matter
               Although I admit that Demeral is a quick reaction pain solution.

Hey Man,

Don't 420 our 420 Dude....

dileas

tess

Offline Technoviking

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2010, 21:21:17 »
Now, I realise that this thread hits the issue of therapeutic use.  I apologise for making too much light of it and talking of recreational use.  I mean, we already have stuff prescribed to soldiers that precludes them going on duty, no? 

So, in that vein, I suppose that if marajuana were legalised generally for medicinal purposes, (I'm not sure if it is already, I think my sister was given cannibis prior to her passing in 2008), would then the "hippy crowd" then try to go to make it legal?  It's a stretch: I mean, there's no chance they would allow morphine for recreational use, you know?

Anyway, thoughts?
So, there I was....

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2010, 21:24:25 »
Hey Man,

dileas

tess

What do you mean by that?

Offline Dennis Ruhl

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2010, 21:25:48 »
You apparently didn't as you stated "or as I call them heroin"...they may come from the same pretty flowers but are FAR from the same thing.  Call me literal or pendantic, I don't care, it sounded pretty ignorant in both the literal sense as well as the colloquial one.

MM

Messrs. Literal  and Pedantic;

When I am in pain, I ask for heroin and a couple T3s appear.  Surprisingly heroin has never appeared.  I have been known to employ figures of speech like exageration but make no claim of having invented them.
Banned for being a repeated administrative burden and not taking responsibility for his actions

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2010, 21:28:28 »
When I am in pain, I ask for heroin and a couple T3s appear. 

When I am in pain, I ask for Dr. Kevorkian. < just joking! >

Offline Technoviking

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2010, 21:28:46 »
So, there I was....

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2010, 21:31:28 »
What do you mean by that?

Oy vey....

Don't kill the good times man.....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=420

The term 420 is used widely in Cannabis culture as a time to get high, a national day to get high, and cannabis itself.

Code for homicide. From CSI, but is the actual police code used by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
419 = Dead Body
419A = Drowned Person
420 = Homicide
420A = Murder/Non-negligent homicide
420B = Manslaughter
420Z = Attempted homicide
421 = Sick or injured
421A = Mentally ill person
422 = Sick or injured Officer

dileas

tess

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2010, 21:34:57 »
Now, I realise that this thread hits the issue of therapeutic use.  I apologise for making too much light of it and talking of recreational use.  I mean, we already have stuff prescribed to soldiers that precludes them going on duty, no? 

So, in that vein, I suppose that if marajuana were legalised generally for medicinal purposes, (I'm not sure if it is already, I think my sister was given cannibis prior to her passing in 2008), would then the "hippy crowd" then try to go to make it legal?  It's a stretch: I mean, there's no chance they would allow morphine for recreational use, you know?

Anyway, thoughts?

probably.......they would use any means as ammunition for their battle to legalize MJ for rec purposes.  There is just not enough control over the medicinal aspect. It may work well as a pain relief drug but there are too many loopholes
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 21:43:17 by 57Chevy »

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2010, 21:38:39 »
I always thought "187" was the typical US Police code for homicide (?) as given by pop culture on movies, just like the "10" codes (10-4, what's your 10-20).

Seems silly for every police force to use different codes.

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2010, 21:39:47 »

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2010, 21:41:24 »
420 = Homicide

On Dragnet, they called it a "187". But, I digress.

"Medical Marijuana Program Act: California Senate Bill 420":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Senate_Bill_420

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2010, 21:45:22 »
Hey Man,

dileas

tess

On Dragnet, they called it a "187". But, I digress.

"Medical Marijuana Program Act: California Senate Bill 420":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Senate_Bill_420

Oh man oh man.....And the sober ones are criticizing the dope smokers as being numb....

Don't 420 Kill our 420 good times Dude....

dileas

tess

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2010, 21:49:14 »

Anyway, thoughts?

Medicinal pot is already legal for sure http://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/

For the OP, that may be a good link to look at to answer some questions for you.

Personally, I don't see why marijuana is still associated with hippies. I'm all for the legalization of pot and controlling it, regulating it, taxing it, etc. I find it rather stupid that it's not already legal. There's nothing stupid like "peace and love" in the reasons I think it should be legalized. I just think it makes perfect sense on all levels.
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2010, 21:53:56 »
Medicinal pot is already legal for sure http://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/
For the OP, that may be a good link to look at to answer some questions for you.

We gave him that link in Reply #11:
"Who is eligible to use medical marijuana?":
http://www.medicalmarihuana.ca/for-patients/who-is-eligible