Author Topic: Canadian Forces Recruiting Status  (Read 68123 times)

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
Re: Canadian Forces Recruiting Status
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 17:48:38 »
Ahh, Tony Quinn.  It's been awhile since I've heard him sing.  He always put on quite a show and he's ex-Navy to boot!

After 28 years in the Navy, I feel I can offer a little advice on the subject.  As others have said DO NOT pick something you're not sure of, especially in hopes of re-mustering to another occupation later.  Nothing in life, let alone the CF, is that simple.  I've had to deal with too many subordinates who picked an occupation that was offered right now instead of one that was right.  It will just make you bitter and twisted and you'll end up very unhappy.

Having said that, be sure that you make an informed decision.  All branches of the CF have there good and not-so-good parts.  Is life at sea difficult and uncomfortable?  Yes, it can be.  However, given the choice, I'll take my "rack" in a ship over sleeping on the ground in the field anyday, even if I do have to tie myself in when things get rough.  Proper toilets are more appealing to me than port-a-potties or defecating in a bag (although the cold water splash up your backside when it's rough can make you re-think that!).  Regular showers are also a plus.

Motion sickness is another issue.  There's no good indicator of who is going to succumb or not.  Myself, I had terrible car sickness as a child.  Long car trips for me were sheer hell (until we discovered Gravol).  Sea-sickness seems to be different.  It can depend on the class of ship (some pitch and roll differently than others).  It can depend on which ocean (waves in the Pacific are different than those in the Atlantic).  And, it very much depends on the individual.  Some never get sick (although I think they're lying), others are only sick for the first little while.  Others have a constant "uggy" feeling.  Myself, if we sail on good day, I won't get sick no matter how rough it gets.  However, if we sail directly into rough weather, it will take about a day for me to get my sea-legs.  The lesson here: catch the pre-sail weather brief and decide if you want to take a bonamine tablet or not.  Another popular solution is the band-aid thing behind your ear (secretes a chemical, the name of which escapes me, to combat motion sickness).  This is also known as a West Coast Command Badge. ;D

Are you away from home a lot?  No more so than in the Army.  They exercise in the field.  We exercise at sea.  With the exception of deployments to the other side of the world (and only one ship at a time is usually on one of those), most trips are from about a week to 59 days.  You're usually home for several weeks if not months between trips.  Plus, there are shore postings.  Overall, yes, you'll be away from time to time, but not so much that you can't have a family life or be involved in your community.  I have a wife and two kids and I coach sports and lead a scout troop.  However, marrying a strong, independant woman has certainly helped in that department :nod:  The fact that she has readily-transferrable job skills that are much in demand doesn't hurt either!

For me the choice was simple:  toilets vs digging a hole, sheets vs smelly sleeping bag, cutlery and china vs boil in a bag.  Finally, as one Army friend of mine put it, in the Navy you get to see the world and see interesting things (although ships never seem to tie up in the good parts of town).  In the Army, you get to see the world as well, but you're always stuck in the woods.

Good info to read up on, thanks for the post, puts perspective on things. Especially since I leave Nov 22 for BMQ to be a nesop :P
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline mwc

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 18:47:49 »
Would it be wise to apply say tomorrow if i am interested in a Combat arms position and would like to start next spring? given all the application examples in other threads, most people generally wait  8-12 months. I'm  finishing college next spring and would like to start within 2-4 weeks after i graduate.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 19:01:48 »
If the trade you want is closed, the CFRC may not even let you start the application.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Otis

• Rate Post
  • Old enough to know better, too foolish to quit!
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 19:49:37 »
Wow, if this were a highway, we'd have a 50 car pile-up!

I have never seen SO many people out of thier lanes and so few IN their lane trying to get everyone on track!

Air Force guys advising about life in the Navy, non-recruiting types telling MCC's what we're hiring ... holy crap what a s@#*-show!

Here's my  :2c::

Stacked, the online recruiters specialize in very general information to try to deflect a large percentage of the silly questions we get at the centres - allowing us to spend more time actually hiring and processing. Unfortunately, they don't always have time to check the most up-to-date numbers for positions (especially at the speed jobs have been disappearing this year)

The poster who wrote about the Navy and stated that your family's life will be more stable is completely correct; but so is the one who said that it's not for everyone. I have ALWAYS advised people to search their own hearts and priorities ... if you NEED a job, can't afford to wait, and the CF is your best option, maybe taking a job you didn't prefer is the way to go (it seems to have worked out for Pat!) If, however, you have a passion for a certain job, can afford to wait, or can do something else while you're waiting, or have the ability to improve yourself and improve your chances while you're waiting ... then wait and do what you can to get the job when it becomes available.
Since I've been on the new medication, it's become MUCH easier to ignore the Stupid people.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 19:56:25 »
Mr. Wicked asked for opinions. So, I gave mine as a former NCM.
I took care to qualify it as my personal opinion only. That Mr. Wicked was not to take my opnion as advice.
In spite of that, of all the advice given to Mr. Wicked from past, present and future members, you selected me for an underlined "stay in your lane" crack.
Regards.

And I explained why your advice was unfounded and may have the result, if followed, of creating a very unhappy soldier.   Your experience as an NCM on the 1970s may not always reflect today's service conditions that will be the working environment for these young men and women inquiring about joining the Canadian Forces now.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 09:22:30 »
And I explained why your advice was unfounded and may have the result, if followed, of creating a very unhappy soldier.   Your experience as an NCM on the 1970s may not always reflect today's service conditions that will be the working environment for these young men and women inquiring about joining the Canadian Forces now.

I understand and agree with you, Mr. O'Leary. And, Otis too. My comments were out of line.
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Le Adder Noir

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 09:25:31 »
MWC, Moe is correct.

Unless you select a trade that is currently open, CFRC will not process your application.
Experience, whether personal or vicarious, is of value to leader and follower alike.  The hard part is using it well -- Adrian Goldsworthy

Offline mwc

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 12:39:15 »
aw darn, first i can't get into the reserves now this. I guess i'll keep trying

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 13:51:20 »
aw darn, first i can't get into the reserves now this.

Have you even applied yet?   

Besides, even if they started an application for you now, there is no guarantee you would start in the spring of next year.  Reserve or Reg Force.
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline CallOfDuty

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 15:14:35 »
aw darn, first i can't get into the reserves now this. I guess i'll keep trying
...orrrrrr....you could join the navy!   ;D
"I bought a box of animal crackers and it said do not eat if seal is broken.  I opened it, and sure enough...................."

Offline mwc

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 00:30:21 »
Have you even applied yet?   

Besides, even if they started an application for you now, there is no guarantee you would start in the spring of next year.  Reserve or Reg Force.
i went to 3 units in my general area (home/college) and there were no openings, i was told to go back in the fall.

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 10:09:25 »
i went to 3 units in my general area (home/college) and there were no openings, i was told to go back in the fall.

For the trade you want.  That doesn't mean you can't join.
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline AshFromCan

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 21:44:06 »
Would it be wise to apply say tomorrow if i am interested in a Combat arms position and would like to start next spring? given all the application examples in other threads, most people generally wait  8-12 months. I'm  finishing college next spring and would like to start within 2-4 weeks after i graduate.

I applied for Infantry Soldier last fall and the CFRC took my application even though the trade was closed. They just made sure that I understood I wouldn't progress much past the CFAT and medical stage before spring 2010.

Offline mwc

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 00:02:00 »
Where abouts are you in the process now?

Offline AshFromCan

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 19:40:21 »
I was accepted. I start BMQ in August.

Offline MrWicked

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 21:22:57 »
The person who did my interview told me, they will hold a spot for me, I called a week later and was told I was flagged for a job offer. I will get a call in a week from someone with an official job offer and details.

The holidays kinda messed stuff up but its been about 2 weeks im calling them tommorrow.

Offline sean m

• Rate Post
  • hopeful HUMINT
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 19:05:36 »
Hey

I was wondering even if med tech and INT Op were different things , did not apply to either. some people would say it is a waste of time. I still am very much interested in doing both, since they are both fields I have interest in. Even though this may take more time, I still want to do it. Do you think this is possible.

Thank you very much

Online dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 19:59:52 »
Not exactly sure what you are asking sean M, are you asking if you can apply for Med Tech and Int Op?  If so put them down as your first and second trade preference, whether they are hiring for those positions i have no idea.  My opinion is that it is better to wait till a trade you are interested in is open instead of taking the first available one with the hope that you can remuster later.  It is not easy to change trades.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 20:10:12 »
Int Op is not open to Direct Entry.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline sean m

• Rate Post
  • hopeful HUMINT
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 16:43:47 »
Thank you very much for both of your posts. I was thinking of joining the reserves in INT while studying the be a Med tech at home, then applying to INT school and either later or earlier medical school for army Med Tech training. Hopefully working in both fields in different intervals in the year. would this be good? even if it make take more time?

Again thank you very much

Offline AmmoTech90

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Catching Bullets
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2010, 16:54:48 »
No,

If you join as an Int Op you are an Int Op. You can later change to Med Tech, and if accepted, you are a Med Tech.  If you then try to change back to Int Op you will probably be told to  STFU and hand out some more cepacol (jk to the real med techs).

You do not get to switch between jobs as you desire.  It is possible to fill any trade required positions and basically work outside your trade, but for jobs more complex than general duties you have to be more qualified than Pte/Cpl.

I suggest you read through the threads which describe how long it takes to get qualified in a particular trade in the CF.  Think 3+ years rather than six months.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

The fragrance of Afghanistan
Rewards a long day's toil
A Passage to Bangkok- Rush

niceasdrhuxtable

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2010, 17:05:55 »
Thank you very much for both of your posts. I was thinking of joining the reserves in INT while studying the be a Med tech at home, then applying to INT school and either later or earlier medical school for army Med Tech training. Hopefully working in both fields in different intervals in the year. would this be good? even if it make take more time?

The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

When you sign up, you enter a single trade and generally do that job until you retire or conduct an occupational transfer. Occupational transfers are somewhat common but they're by no means fast. It's not unusual for the entire process to take over a year.

Also, if you were to OT out of Int Op to another trade, then try to OT back into Int Op you'd probably receive some really strange looks and I don't think it's likely you'd get the recommendation of your COC or PSO.

It would be in your best interests to do as much research as you can and pick a trade you really think would be a good fit for you. I'm on my third trade right now and it's basically like starting over every time.

aesop081

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2010, 17:10:09 »
would this be good?

No.

You can't be a Int Op part of the year and a Med Tech the other. At this point, you should focus you energy on making up your mind.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 17:23:05 by CDN Aviator »

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2010, 17:19:34 »

You REALLY HAVE A HARD TIME ACCEPTING NO FOR AN ANSWER - I already discussed this with you in PM's and told you the same thing.  This really reminds me of the game that little kids play when they were told NO by mummy then go ask daddy to see if he'll say yes.  BTW, you don't apply to medical school to be a Military Medical Technician - you go there to be a physician.  Med Techs are trained at civilian colleges and the CF Health Services Training Centre in Borden.  If you want to study to be a paramedic on your own time, feel free.  Want to be a spook in the military, again, feel free.  Want to be a Med Tech, again feel free.  Just don't expect to be employed as both at the same time, switching hat badges as you feel the whim to. 

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline sean m

• Rate Post
  • hopeful HUMINT
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2010, 19:40:32 »
Truly sorry for the confusion everyone. I am not writing what I mean correctly, what I mean to say is, is it possible to have a background in two things yet only work in one of them.

Thank you very much