Author Topic: 9 Sept 10: Medic faces Sexual Assault Charges  (Read 36424 times)

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: 9 Sept 10: Medic faces Sexual Assault Charges
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 10:01:01 »
Army recruiting gave unnecessary breast exam, witness tells court martial

Women testifying that a former military medic performed unauthorized breast exams on them are inventing stories, some of them to bolster their $1.4-million civil suits, the man’s lawyer said at a court martial in London Tuesday.

But the prosecution says the 16 women’s stories are so similar they clearly show a pattern of impropriety by former petty officer James Wilks, charged with 10 counts of sexual assault and 16 counts of breach of trust.

More at link
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Sexual Assault Charges Laid For Incidents
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 14:05:04 »
Oh my...

MM

Don't feel bad. Two officers I knew, and held very high opinions of, were both found guilty of serious sex-related offences. Both times I asked myself how I could have been so off the mark in my estimation of them, until I realized that these people make an art of concealment and denial.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 13:11:51 »
Guilty.
A military judge has rendered a guilty verdict in the sex assault court martial of a former Canadian Forces medic on more than two dozen charges.

Retired petty officer James Wilks will now face sentencing on 25 sexual assault and breach of trust charges involving 16 women over six years.

In a West Quebec courtroom near Ottawa, military judge Lt.-Col. Louis-Vincent d'Auteuil handed down the verdict after reading a detailed summary of the case that concluded the testimony of the women should be believed.

(....)

In all, Wilks faced 16 charges of breach of trust and 10 sex assault counts. He was acquitted of a lone breach of trust charge.

Prosecutors and defence lawyers were meeting in the judge's chambers to discuss a possible sentencing date.

The sentencing hearing was expected to take several days ....
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Sentencing hearing coming up Monday
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 16:43:32 »
Next step:
.... The sentencing hearing for former Canadian Armed Forces medical technician, Petty Officer 2nd Class James Wilks, in relation to sexual assault and breach of trust charges, begins next week. The hearing is open to the media and the public.

When:
Monday, February 24, 2014, starting at 10:00 a.m.

Media are asked to arrive no later than 9:15 a.m. to ensure access and receive a brief.

Where:
Asticou Centre - 241 Boulevard Cité-des-Jeunes, Gatineau, Quebec

Courtroom: Block 2600 - Room 2601

What:
On November 15, 2013, a Standing Court Martial found Mr. Wilks guilty of 25 out of 26 charges. Of the 10 sexual assault and 16 breach of trust charges against retired Petty Officer 2nd Class James Wilks, Military Judge, Lieutenant-Colonel Louis-Vincent d’Auteuil, pronounced Mr. Wilks guilty of: all 10 sexual assault charges and 15 of 16 breach of trust charges. Sixteen complainants testified during the trial, which took place in Gatineau, Quebec, and in London, Ontario. The court martial is in relation to offences committed between 2003 and 2009, while he was performing medical examinations in Thunder Bay and London, Ontario ....
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline BadBird

• Rate Post
  • 94â Ëœ
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 17:10:20 »
Wilks did my medical when I joined up. I have had the hernia test done numerous times and his was the 'least uncomfortable' compared to the others, although he did make me cough 3 or 4 times, which the others had not. I remember him telling me I had "flat feet" and asking if I had any foot pain or any other foot issues. I told him that I have never had any issues with my feet (which was the truth), and he preceded to pretty much interrogate me about it. For some reason he couldn't believe that I could have flat feet and it not be a medical problem. Here I am 12 years later and my feet are just fine.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 17:15:23 »
Here I am 12 years later and my feet are just fine.

You've been a private for 12 years?

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 01:06:16 »
You've been a private for 12 years?
It's possible.
I knew one person who received her CD as a private.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 18:33:53 »
... I remember him telling me I had "flat feet" and asking if I had any foot pain or any other foot issues. I told him that I have never had any issues with my feet (which was the truth), and he preceded to pretty much interrogate me about it. For some reason he couldn't believe that I could have flat feet and it not be a medical problem. Here I am 12 years later and my feet are just fine.

I've pretty much interrogated a few people doing recruit medicals...generally they were being a bit cagy/evasisve and trying to dodge direct questions.  Also, some people are knobs, so end up getting treated that way - doesn't mean that's what was going on with you, but people do sometimes feel like they're being investigated.  I guess in some respects, they are actually.

I was posted in Calgary with Mr Wilks and was on course the odd time with him - some of this still doesn't sound like him, but we don't always know people that well I guess.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Privateer

Looking for the bubble.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 17:05:00 »
Per CBC news:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ex-navy-medic-james-wilks-sentenced-to-30-months-for-bogus-breast-exams-1.2624623

Ex-navy medic James Wilks sentenced to 30 months for bogus breast exams

A military court has sentenced a retired navy medical technician to 30 months in prison.

Retired Petty Officer 2nd Class James Wilks was found guilty in November of 10 counts of sexual assault and 15 counts of breach of trust.

The court heard evidence that Wilks conducted unnecessary breast exams on women while conducting routine physicals.

The incidents happened between 2003 and 2009, while Wilks was stationed in Thunder Bay and London, Ont.

Wilks used the medical exams to see and touch the women's breasts, and let them think it was part of the examination, which was "totally dishonest," D'Auteuil said when delivering his verdict in November.

"The court found no reason to disbelieve any of these women."

There is a publication ban on the identities of the women.

In all, Wilks faced 16 charges of breach of trust and 10 sex assault counts. He was acquitted of a lone breach of trust charge.

Offline ExRCDcpl

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 23:50:11 »
30 months for 10 sexual assault convictions.

The CF keeps touting how they take this stuff seriously....clearly.

Ridiculous sentence.

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 23:58:16 »
My neighbour in the PMQ's was shot twice by another member. Shooter got 6 yrs. for what seems to me to have been attempted murder.
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline Brihard

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 00:04:35 »
30 months for 10 sexual assault convictions.

The CF keeps touting how they take this stuff seriously....clearly.

Ridiculous sentence.

Not surprising, and about par for the course for something of this nature. There's nothing uniquely 'CF' about this sentence. I expect the court will also have considered his total loss of a the remainder of a good lifelong career as a mitigating factor on the sentencing. He's sentenced to 30 months in jail (of which he'll serve maybe 20), but he's hooped for life. The pension implications alone are tremendous.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 00:16:34 »
The pension implications alone are tremendous.

What pension implications?  He'll still get his pension, unless something changed recently.

Offline Brihard

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 01:40:09 »
What pension implications?  He'll still get his pension, unless something changed recently.

He was at 26 years service at 51 years old when he was first convicted. Up to another 9 years accrual, and whatever promotions he might have seen in that time. Not a small deal by any means.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2014, 06:06:57 »
Shooter got 6 yrs. for what seems to me to have been attempted murder.

Did he have to retake his PWT3 at least?

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2014, 07:38:36 »
An update:
A former Canadian Forces medical technician who was sentenced to 30 months in jail after being convicted of sexual assault and breach of trust will remain free while he appeals the verdict in his case.

Retired petty officer second class James Wilks was found guilty of 10 counts of sexual assault and 15 counts of breach of trust.

(....)

A military judge (yesterday) sentenced Wilks to 30 months in jail.

Wilks immediately appealed the verdict.

The judge this afternoon ruled Wilks could be released until his appeal is heard — a process that could take months.

The judge imposed a set of conditions, including that Wilks must keep the peace and surrender his passport.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline ExRCDcpl

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2014, 08:26:02 »
Not surprising, and about par for the course for something of this nature. There's nothing uniquely 'CF' about this sentence. I expect the court will also have considered his total loss of a the remainder of a good lifelong career as a mitigating factor on the sentencing. He's sentenced to 30 months in jail (of which he'll serve maybe 20), but he's hooped for life. The pension implications alone are tremendous.

I agree and disagree.  Civvie side he would probably get a similar sentence, however he would have also had quite a bit of pre trial (in my experience at least).  Unless I missed it somewhere it doesn't seem like he spent anything more than a bail hearing in pre trial custody....and even then I didn't notice that, I'm just assuming.

Couple with the fact you see that Toronto doctor recently get 10 for groping 21 patients.  21/2 = 10.5.  So that doc got exactly double the sex assault convictions this guy did.

10 years = 120 months.  So this medic gets not even half the sentence.  I know the Toronto case the patients were sedated, however in this case it wasn't much different as the guy used the fact he knew the women wanted the job to keep them from defending themselves and both he and the doctor were in a position of trust.

I stand by my opinion that the CF dropped the ball hard on this one.....especially in light of that article in macleans.

Offline Gramps

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2014, 10:10:53 »
I agree and disagree.  Civvie side he would probably get a similar sentence, however he would have also had quite a bit of pre trial (in my experience at least).  Unless I missed it somewhere it doesn't seem like he spent anything more than a bail hearing in pre trial custody....and even then I didn't notice that, I'm just assuming.

Couple with the fact you see that Toronto doctor recently get 10 for groping 21 patients.  21/2 = 10.5.  So that doc got exactly double the sex assault convictions this guy did.

10 years = 120 months.  So this medic gets not even half the sentence.  I know the Toronto case the patients were sedated, however in this case it wasn't much different as the guy used the fact he knew the women wanted the job to keep them from defending themselves and both he and the doctor were in a position of trust.

I stand by my opinion that the CF dropped the ball hard on this one.....especially in light of that article in macleans.

That Toronto Doctor did a hell of a lot more than just simply grope patients.
An object at rest cannot be stopped.

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 10:45:50 »
That Toronto Doctor did a hell of a lot more than just simply grope patients.

Plus they were sedated when he did what he did.

The doctor not going to have a good time in jail.......neither is the medic.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2015, 05:23:44 »
Bumped with the latest - more charges (release also attached in case link doesn't work) ....
Today (11 Sept 2015), the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS) charged a former Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) medical technician for incidents alleged to have occurred while he performed medical exams at Canadian Forces recruiting centres in London and Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Petty Officer, 2nd class (PO 2) (Retired) James Wilks was charged with the following:
  • two counts of sexual assault, in accordance with section 130 of the National Defence Act, and pursuant to section 271 of the Criminal Code; and
  • ten counts of breach of trust by a public officer, in accordance with section 130 of the National Defence Act, and pursuant to section 122 of the Criminal Code.
It is alleged that between 2004 and 2009, the accused performed medical examinations on CAF recruits and serving members contrary to prescribed medical procedures.  In September 2010 and January 2012, the CFNIS laid a total of 23 charges against PO 2 Wilks (Retired) in relation to similar incidents.  In December 2012, the CFNIS laid 17 additional charges against the retired member.

As a result of the high visibility of the previous charges laid against Mr. Wilks regarding these incidents, eight additional victims came forward to file complaints ....

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline donaldk

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 23:46:27 »
Damn.. more lickings for Mr. Wilks, good that more are coming forward.  I have had a couple medicals done by him back in my PRes days in Thunder Bay, he was an odd cat for sure.

/// I'll leave the Thunder Bay trashing for another post... I left it without looking back for many good reasons.

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2017, 06:39:02 »
From the info-machine:
On January 9, 2017, pre-trial motions will begin for the general court martial of Ex-Petty Officer, 2nd Class James Wilks, a former Canadian Armed Forces medical technician, in relation to sexual assault and breach of trust charges.

When:

Monday, January 9, 2017 at 9:30 a.m.
    Pre-trial motions expected, January 9 – 13, 2017.
    General court martial expected to begin January 16, 2017.

Where: Asticou Centre, Bloc 2600, Room 2601, 241 Boulevard Cité-des-Jeunes, Gatineau (QC) ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2017, 06:40:21 »
From the info-machine:
On January 9, 2017, pre-trial motions began for the general court martial of Ex-Petty Officer, 2nd Class James Wilks, a former Canadian Armed Forces medical technician. He is being tried on eight charges with respect to six complainants; seven charges of breach of trust by a public officer and one for sexual assault.

A mandatory publication ban has already been ordered in respect of the complainant in the sexual assault allegation. The prosecution will also be seeking publication bans on the names and other information that could identify the five other complainants. These bans are being sought in order to protect the privacy of the complainants. The application for these further bans will be made on January 12, 2017 or as soon after as the court can accommodate.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2017, 06:55:08 »
More from the info machine:
On January 9, 2017, pre-trial motions began for the general court martial of Ex-Petty Officer, 2nd Class James Wilks, a former Canadian Armed Forces medical technician. He is currently being tried on eight charges with respect to six complainants. Of these eight charges, seven are for breach of trust by a public officer, and one is for sexual assault.

On January 9 and 12, 2017, the Prosecution requested a publication ban on the names of the six complainants, which was granted by the Chief Military Judge. The prosecution will also be seeking a redaction order to keep the complainants medical information private, as it would otherwise be publicly available. The redaction order application will be made on or around January 23, 2017, depending on the court’s ability to accommodate this request ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter