Author Topic: Background Check (Merged)  (Read 22242 times)

Offline darwin

• Rate Post
Background Check (Merged)
« on: November 08, 2010, 18:16:50 »
I am filling this out and I am unsure whether to put my volunteer position in the 5 year employment verification.

I know it says employment, but on the main application it asks for job, vol, etc.

thanks in advance

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: quick application help (dnd personal data verification)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 18:20:33 »
Employment would indicate that you were Paid.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline darwin

• Rate Post
Re: quick application help (dnd personal data verification)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 18:28:45 »
thanks a lot for the reply
I knew that until I was looking at the app, it threw me off a bit. 

Offline Gulruthina

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:32:32 »
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question in regards to the Employment History section of the form.

There is a section in the Employment History where I have to write my past work history up to (5) years and on the right side it ask of me to write my employer contacts, email addresses and an option where it states, "May we contact = yes or no". My question is, if I put  "May we contact? = No", would that affect my application in any way?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Personal Data Verification - Employment History
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 23:40:58 »
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question in regards to the Employment History section of the form.

There is a section in the Employment History where I have to write my past work history up to (5) years and on the right side it ask of me to write my employer contacts, email addresses and an option where it states, "May we contact = yes or no". My question is, if I put  "May we contact? = No", would that affect my application in any way?

Thanks,
Mark

It means it will take longer to verify the information you are telling the CF.

Offline mm3212

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 17:08:13 »
My question is regarding the pervious employer background check, I read through the "References Megathread" but I wanted to get an updated post 2009 answer from a recruiter as that was the last time it was mentioned. 

Basically, I have submitted my application online and am waiting for further contact.  I know at some point I will have to provide five personal/professional references, but my question is for the employment history background check do I have to provide a telephone number for every single employer I listed under the Employment History on my initial online application, or just for the most recent one or two?  I ask simply because some of my previous places of employment were upwards of five years ago and have either gone out of business, or the company was sold and moved, and or my managers/bosses have long since moved on. 

Any clarification on what I need to provide in terms of the employment history background check would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Master Corporal Steven

• Rate Post
Re: Employer Background Check
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:13:27 »
Good day,

When providing information on past employer's, supervisors etc do your best to locate the pone numbers and contact information for them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:17:26 by Warrant Officer Gregory »
Forces.ca

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:30:44 »
Had an employer that no longer exists. I listed the name of my supervisor at the time, the location of the head office, and a central switchboard phone number. All of which post 2011 no longer exist.

There were no issues.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:39:36 »
MCpl Steven/WO Gregory

Don't forget the use of the "Statutory Declaration" where one can explain any unknown facts or further clarify information on the application.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline mm3212

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 11:55:29 »
Thank you all for your rapid information and assistance.  I was a little worried after I submitted my application when I realized a few of my past employers no longer existed!

Offline manna15

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 20:54:31 »
The application no longer has a box where you can check off whether or not they can contact employers. I have not been able to find a discussion that says whether or not they will call current employers or not, now that the boxes aren't there. Does this mean that they are called by default or that they aren't called at all.

I have nothing to hide at my workplace, but I don't want my employers to think me a flight risk if my application is rejected.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Contacting current employers
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 21:36:15 »
The application no longer has a box where you can check off whether or not they can contact employers. I have not been able to find a discussion that says whether or not they will call current employers or not, now that the boxes aren't there. Does this mean that they are called by default or that they aren't called at all.

I have nothing to hide at my workplace, but I don't want my employers to think me a flight risk if my application is rejected.

Which application or form are you referring to?  The CF likes its' paperwork, so there are many many many forms.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Valhrafn

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 21:45:13 »

I filled out the Personal Data Verification forms within the past two weeks. In Employment History there is a section that says If current employer, may we contact? with three possible boxes to check off: Yes, No, and Not Applicable. I've filled this same form out a couple of times for different applications. You may want to ask for the proper forms from your Recruiting Centre. I had mine e-mailed to me and was able to e-mail them back.
Recruiting Centre: Hamilton
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Infantry Soldier
Applied: 23 July 2015
Medical: 24 February 2015
Interview: 11 August 2015
Merit Listed: -
Position Offered: Infantry Soldier, 1 Septmeber 2015
Enrolment/Swearing In: 9 September 2015
BMQ: 21 September 2015

Offline GreenWood

• Rate Post
  • Currently in the dreaded process of a CT
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 21:46:35 »
I would inform your employer just in case, better he knows if ever he gets a call then if he doesn't.

They called 2 of my employers..

Offline Dnas17

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 22:33:20 »
I also filled out the personal data verification form that ValhrafN referred too and also had the option to check said boxes. This was just a week ago for my interview
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: February 10 2014
First Contact: February 13 2014
CFAT : April 10th 2014 (Passed)
Medical : February 25th 2015 (Declared Fit)
Interview: March 4th 2015
Swear In Ceremony: September 2nd 2015
Position Offered: July 29th 2015 (Infantry)
Basic Training: September 7th 2015

Offline manna15

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 23:15:12 »
I filled out the Personal Data Verification forms within the past two weeks. In Employment History there is a section that says If current employer, may we contact? with three possible boxes to check off: Yes, No, and Not Applicable. I've filled this same form out a couple of times for different applications. You may want to ask for the proper forms from your Recruiting Centre. I had mine e-mailed to me and was able to e-mail them back.
I'm referring to the online application form that you are directed to on the "apply now" section of the forces website. Where I fill in employment history it just asks for place and dates of employment. Are you saying that I can fill out the paper application without going through the website or should I still go through the site first and the paper trail comes after?

Will I have more paperwork further into the process that you are all referring to?
I would inform your employer just in case, better he knows if ever he gets a call then if he doesn't.

They called 2 of my employers..
You certainly have a valid point that I'll think about, but I still don't think I'll say anything. If there's a chance they won't find out I'll take it. I'm also the gatekeeper of the main phone line. Good to know they're actually checking in though.

I also really appreciate all of you replying. I wasn't aware there were more application forms.

Offline Valhrafn

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 23:33:43 »
I'm referring to the online application form that you are directed to on the "apply now" section of the forces website. Where I fill in employment history it just asks for place and dates of employment. Are you saying that I can fill out the paper application without going through the website or should I still go through the site first and the paper trail comes after?

Will I have more paperwork further into the process that you are all referring to?You certainly have a valid point that I'll think about, but I still don't think I'll say anything. If there's a chance they won't find out I'll take it. I'm also the gatekeeper of the main phone line. Good to know they're actually checking in though.

I also really appreciate all of you replying. I wasn't aware there were more application forms.
The online application is the first thing you have to complete. Once it's completed, you will be contacted by e-mail telling you whether or not your application has been selected for further processing. After this, your Recruiting Centre will call you to book your medical and CFAT and will send you an e-mail verification with attached forms (Personal Data Verification, Personnel Screening and Security Clearance) which will include the employment history and contacts that you're talking about. You will have to bring these forms to your CFAT testing day.

Recruiting Centre: Hamilton
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice 1: Infantry Soldier
Applied: 23 July 2015
Medical: 24 February 2015
Interview: 11 August 2015
Merit Listed: -
Position Offered: Infantry Soldier, 1 Septmeber 2015
Enrolment/Swearing In: 9 September 2015
BMQ: 21 September 2015

Offline manna15

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 23:36:33 »
That makes much more sense. Thank you very much! It appears I've been concerned over nothing.

Offline Dnas17

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 23:53:05 »
That makes much more sense. Thank you very much! It appears I've been concerned over nothing.

If I can say one thing about the application process is that youre going to have to fill out many different forms all with similar information on each one, but the personal data verification is the one that Garda (CF hires them to perform this check) will be looking at and contacting your references from.
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: February 10 2014
First Contact: February 13 2014
CFAT : April 10th 2014 (Passed)
Medical : February 25th 2015 (Declared Fit)
Interview: March 4th 2015
Swear In Ceremony: September 2nd 2015
Position Offered: July 29th 2015 (Infantry)
Basic Training: September 7th 2015

Offline manna15

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 00:11:25 »
That is much clearer. Thank you for your insight! It looks like you're pretty far into it already.

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 08:36:08 »
I'm referring to the online application form that you are directed to on the "apply now" section of the forces website. Where I fill in employment history it just asks for place and dates of employment.

There you go, mystery solved.  Employers listed on the application form will not be contacted.

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 20:42:40 »
I`m filling out the DND Personal Data Verification and in the section previous employer; One of my previous employers is the Canadian Forces, if my bosses were either promoted or posted somewhere else or retired whom would I fill in for the contact information. Also my last unit was a ship and is being decommissioned this year. *Trying to be proactive as I haven`t been contacted by the recruiting centre yet after filling out my online application.
"In a world spinning rapidly on its hinges, on streets cluttered with hood-wielding farts peddling disco biscuits and cheap fireworks, who is left to fight for honour, justice, and enough loose change for a bottle of happy shopper ouzo? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"
- That Michell and Webb Look

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 20:50:23 »
I`m filling out the DND Personal Data Verification and in the section previous employer; One of my previous employers is the Canadian Forces, if my bosses were either promoted or posted somewhere else or retired whom would I fill in for the contact information. Also my last unit was a ship and is being decommissioned this year. *Trying to be proactive as I haven`t been contacted by the recruiting centre yet after filling out my online application.
Edit for clarity: The ships phone number or the phone number of the person who was my boss at the time.
"In a world spinning rapidly on its hinges, on streets cluttered with hood-wielding farts peddling disco biscuits and cheap fireworks, who is left to fight for honour, justice, and enough loose change for a bottle of happy shopper ouzo? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 08:35:59 »
Good day,

Include all of the information that you know when filling out the forms. Make your best effort in obtaining the information required and if unable to locate the information you can fill out a Statutory Declaration stating so and the background check can still be conducted based on the information provided.   
Forces.ca

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 21:39:04 »
Thank-you MCpl.  :)

Offline ShawnCameron

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 20:23:39 »
My references have been contacted . Does this mean that my background/security check has been completed or is it a two part process? Thanks

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 09:28:30 »
Good day ShawnCameron,

Welcome to the “Ask a CAF Recruiter” section. The members tagged as “CAF Recruiter” are official Canadian Armed Forces recruiters. They will identify themselves with their rank, first name and the Forces.ca avatar. In order to best answer questions, there are some rules that need to be adhered to.

This section is for persons who have questions about joining the Canadian Armed Forces, occupations, different enrolment programs, and prerequisites. Much of the information can be found at Forces.ca, or the Recruiting FAQ and wiki section of this site. Before you ask a question, you should be searching the forum or the Forces.ca website for these answers.

We will not answer questions about technical difficulties with the application process, or the website. We will not answer questions about difficulties contacting your recruiting centre or general inquires with regards to your current application or file. These questions can be asked here: http://forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73

ShawnCameron I recommend that you maintain contact with the recruiting centre processing your application in accordance with the "Submitted application whats next?" post. I have provided a link to this post below: 

http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,118929.0.html
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:33:46 by Master Corporal Steven »
Forces.ca

Offline ShawnCameron

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 12:09:23 »
Thank you kindly

Offline Anira09

• Rate Post
Background check
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2015, 18:37:23 »
Hello
I'm having my interview 15 Sept at 10:00 and my medical at 13:00. The background check is done after my interview or its already done???
I had recive a email, before getting the call for the 15th, from the minister of defence saying that all was good and that should get a call soon from my recruter. Whats that about??? The background check??? 
Thanks

Offline chipinator

• Rate Post
Re: Background check
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2015, 20:06:53 »
After my interview I was told there are still several checks that need to be done, including calling references...since then it's been a month and a half, which seems to be the norm for a lot of other people as far as I can tell...you might be in for a wait after your appointment, but they'll let you know then.

Offline Anira09

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2015, 23:03:28 »
Thank you!!!

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2015, 08:51:18 »
Mr Jason Kenney sent you an email personally?  You must be important!

Offline BinRat55

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 09:06:53 »
Lol!! I saw that too, thought - "Wow, and all I get are these Defence Update emails..."

Maybe my background check needs to be redone?

Haha... lay-people!
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 09:11:33 »
Don't sweat it.  When you get out after twenty/twenty-five plus years, you will get a nice certificate from him/her.  If you are really lucky it will be framed, but there are no guarantees that there will be money in the Budget for that.

Offline Anira09

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2015, 09:32:17 »
 :facepalm: :facepalm:
Sorry, bad spelling.

Offline Anira09

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 09:34:27 »
Whats the next Bmq dates???

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2015, 09:45:12 »
Hello
I'm having my interview 15 Sept at 10:00 and my medical at 13:00. The background check is done after my interview or its already done???
I had recive a email, before getting the call for the 15th, from the minister of defence saying that all was good and that should get a call soon from my recruter. Whats that about??? The background check??? 
Thanks

Are you applying for Regular Force or Reserve Force?

Offline Anira09

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2015, 10:10:57 »
Regular.

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 11:04:31 »
Regular.

If that's the case, then your background checks are not normally started until after your Medical has been approved and then file has been returned to your CFRC.

Offline BlueAngels14

• MARS DEO
  • Rate Post
  • MARS II
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2015, 12:21:54 »
Is work history done along with background check after my medical ? I am suppose to redo my interview and medical because I had to re-apply to a V4 trade. However, I found out that the CF contacted one of my previous work places just to confirm whether I used to work there.
Trade: MARS (Reg F, DEO)
Application Date: May 31, 2015
CFAT: June 4th, 2015 - Passed
MOST: July 3rd, 2015 - Passed
Interview: March 7th, 2016 - Passed
Background Check: March 16th, 2016 - Completed
Medical: April 7th, 2016 - Completed
Requested Medical Info: April 15th, 2016 - Submitted
Cleared Medical: July 27th, 2016
Merit Listed: August 11, 2016 
Position offered: August 26th, 2016
Swearing in: January 4th, 2017
BMOQ: January 16th, 2017
Graduated: April 20th, 2017

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2015, 12:37:11 »
Is work history done along with background check after my medical ? I am suppose to redo my interview and medical because I had to re-apply to a V4 trade. However, I found out that the CF contacted one of my previous work places just to confirm whether I used to work there.

Yes, employment history is part of the background check.  So if your references are indicating that they are or have been contacted, then chances are your checks have already started.

Offline Anira09

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 09:51:27 »
Hello
Just today i received a call for one of my references. They contacted her for employments references. So that means that my credit have been or wil be check?????

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2015, 12:16:27 »
I am not too sure why you want to know when your references will be called or your credit will be checked, but at this point, there isn't much you can do to expedite the process.  I suggest you sit back, call bi-weekly for updates at the recruiting center and let the process work for you.

Offline Anira09

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2015, 13:34:45 »
Im just surprise that my interview and medical its not yet done ( 15 sept ) and they already contact my references....
But like you said, i will sit back and smell the roses ;)

Offline BlueAngels14

• MARS DEO
  • Rate Post
  • MARS II
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 13:37:58 »
Thanks for the answer DAA. Yea as Anira09 mentioned I'm just curious as well because I've yet to redo my interview and medical. I guess it's good though since something is getting done contributing to the application process.
Trade: MARS (Reg F, DEO)
Application Date: May 31, 2015
CFAT: June 4th, 2015 - Passed
MOST: July 3rd, 2015 - Passed
Interview: March 7th, 2016 - Passed
Background Check: March 16th, 2016 - Completed
Medical: April 7th, 2016 - Completed
Requested Medical Info: April 15th, 2016 - Submitted
Cleared Medical: July 27th, 2016
Merit Listed: August 11, 2016 
Position offered: August 26th, 2016
Swearing in: January 4th, 2017
BMOQ: January 16th, 2017
Graduated: April 20th, 2017

Offline Drew Grey

• Rate Post
Question regarding DND Personal Data Verification
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2016, 19:37:33 »
Just completing my DND personal data verification form and had a question regarding the employment history section. It states that "You can advise us not to conduct a check of your employment background only if it pertains to your current employer(s)

Im in a situation where I kinda don't want my current employer to know Im applying for the Forces. Not because I don't want my current employer called by the Forces or anything...I am totally confident I'd be spoken of positively by my current employer. Its a personal issue that I don't want to discuss on a public forum so we'll leave it at that.

Anyways..that being said am I able to advise the Forces not to do conduct a check on my employment background with my current employer for that reason?

Online Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Background Check (Merged)
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2016, 20:30:49 »
The first five threads have now been merged into this one.

Drew Grey - Does the form limit you to specific reasons only, or even request reasons?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2016, 20:34:41 »
Just completing my DND personal data verification form

For reference,

DND Personal Data Verification
http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/PersonalDataVerification.pdf
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline BinRat55

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
Re: Question regarding DND Personal Data Verification
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2016, 10:56:35 »
Just completing my DND personal data verification form and had a question regarding the employment history section. It states that "You can advise us not to conduct a check of your employment background only if it pertains to your current employer(s)

Im in a situation where I kinda don't want my current employer to know Im applying for the Forces. Not because I don't want my current employer called by the Forces or anything...I am totally confident I'd be spoken of positively by my current employer. Its a personal issue that I don't want to discuss on a public forum so we'll leave it at that.

Anyways..that being said am I able to advise the Forces not to do conduct a check on my employment background with my current employer for that reason?

Well, considering there is actually a question "If current employer, may we contact?" Yes   No   Not Applicable

I would check "No" and move on...
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Question regarding DND Personal Data Verification
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2016, 13:15:54 »

Take a closer look at your PDV Form, specifically the very first page where you will see......

"For your employment history, all your previous employer(s) will be contacted; you can advise us not to conduct a check of your employment background only if it is pertains to your current employer(s)."

Offline Kv-super

• Rate Post
Losing moral
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2016, 13:29:43 »
Hello everyone,

I wrote back a while ago about my application process and now my recruiter has finally contacted me back saying they ate awaiting my back round check. It has been almost a year and I have spoke to countless people in the military and they all agree that this is taking way too long, especially for the reserves, I'm a little irrirated and running out of hope, being in the military is life long dream so is their any way I can speed things up with the process, I'm pretty sure a back round check doesn't take a year.

Offline DAA

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Losing moral
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2016, 13:28:21 »
Hello everyone,

I wrote back a while ago about my application process and now my recruiter has finally contacted me back saying they ate awaiting my back round check. It has been almost a year and I have spoke to countless people in the military and they all agree that this is taking way too long, especially for the reserves, I'm a little irrirated and running out of hope, being in the military is life long dream so is their any way I can speed things up with the process, I'm pretty sure a back round check doesn't take a year.

No, a background check doesn't normally take a year.  But if you were subject to a "Pre-Security Clearance Screening", then depending on the countries which are involved, the process can take from 6-18 months and sometimes longer.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2016, 01:34:44 »
See also,

OP: Kv-super

Losing moral 

Hello,

It's been around a year since I applied to the reserves for infantry in the lorne scots regiment, I have completed all testing and handed in all medical forms, my recruiter finally contacted me back and informed me that I have to still pass my back round check after a year! I'm 18 I have no credit, no criminal offences, I haven't even been suspended from school, I don't understand what's taking so long because most people i have talked to in the military have said it's ridiculous that this is taking so long because I am reserves. If anyone can shine the light for me I'd be so happy because I am very fusturated at this point I just want to be merit listed and get the ball rolling.

Good Day,

I wanted to clarify one point for you, being that you are joining a Reserve Unit you will not be merit listed.  The "Merit List" exists solely for Regular Force applicants.

Recruiting for Reserve Units rests solely with each individual Reserve Unit.
When someone applies to join a Reserve Unit online, the application is sent directly to that Reserve Unit. When they give the "green light" to the supporting Recruiting Centre that there is an opening within their unit and that they'd like to enroll you is when processing occurs.  The Recruiting Centre will do your Aptitude Test, Interview, Medical and Background check.  Although you're 18 you will still need to undergo a background check, this is a requirement for everyone joining the Forces.  While you state that you have no credit, no criminal offences - that is not the case for every 18 year old who applies.

Looking at your posts, you stated on 20 February that you had just applied to the Lorne Scots.  While I can understand that even at 7 months you're feeling disheartened, you are not at the year mark.  I know I've posted on here explaining that during the summer most Reserve Recruiting is on hold, this is because of Reserve Unit Staff are away for the summer instructing.  Very little occurs between beginning June to end August because of this.

When you look at the time of when you applied and take out the time your file was on "hold" due to Reserve Summer Training your file has been in process for approximately 4 months.  Most Reserve Units have now commenced their Fall Training and the Reserve Recruiter should be back at the unit (assuming they're not taking leave after working all summer), you should follow up with your Reserve Unit Recruiter.  Being that the Lorne Scots fall under 32 Canadian Brigade Group, if you want to send me a private message with your name, DOB and email address I can get in touch with one of the Brigade Recruiters and ask them to follow up with you.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Offline Tony35mk

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2016, 22:43:45 »
Hey everyone..so 2 months ago i wrote my cfat,i was told i qualified for my choice(infantry reg) and my background check started.My issue is that i was born in Greece and pretty much lived my whole life there.I've moved to Canada a couple of months ago.My parents live in Greece i have duel-citizenship, and also because of my previous army service(in greece mandatory service) its gonna take awhile.Can i help the cfrc somehow to speed up the process.I have also provide the recruiting center with my military discharge paper..just to speed up the process.

Thank you in advance... :salute: :salute: :cdn: :cdn:

Offline raoufhakam

• Rate Post
  • CHIMO
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2016, 10:40:29 »
Hey everyone..so 2 months ago i wrote my cfat,i was told i qualified for my choice(infantry reg) and my background check started.My issue is that i was born in Greece and pretty much lived my whole life there.I've moved to Canada a couple of months ago.My parents live in Greece i have duel-citizenship, and also because of my previous army service(in greece mandatory service) its gonna take awhile.Can i help the cfrc somehow to speed up the process.I have also provide the recruiting center with my military discharge paper..just to speed up the process.

Thank you in advance... :salute: :salute: :cdn: :cdn:

my application situation was somewhat close to yours:
1/ i have Dual-Citizenship.
2/ i haven't lived in Canada continuously for the 10 years prior to my application.
3/ i had a direct family member (my oldest brother) living abroad.

and according to the CF guidelines, each and any one of these "Foreign Implications" require you to undergo further Security Clearance Pre-Assessment and fill up some extra forms. and this can delay your application a little further depending on the countries involved and how many of them. (in your case Greece).

In my case, it was 2 foreign countries (Egypt & Kuwait), so that took a little longer, but i kept checking with the recruiting centre every month or so, and i was asked once to provide a criminal record check from the country i lived in before moving to Canada cause i was above 18.

as for your previous military service, i don't think that can be a "bad point" against you, if anything, you have some knowledge of military discipline, drill, commands and such. and unless you served in a armed forces of a country that's deemed an enemy to Canada (like North Korea, Iraq, Iran, ...etc.)., on of the guys in my BMQ had served in military in Serbia or Croatia.

AFAIK, Greece is a NATO ally, your military service there, or you having lived there shouldn't hinder your application as much as in my case.

FYI, my whole application process from submitting the online application to getting enrolled took me almost 3 years (2 years and 10 months), but i doubt yours should take that long and i've heard they've changed a lot of things in the application processing steps to expedite things.
Recruiting Centre: Halifax
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Trade Choice 1: Combat Engineer
Application Date: Jan31 2014
Position offered:Nov10 2016
Sworn in:Nov15 2015
BMQ:Nov18 2016

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
Employment
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2017, 16:00:43 »
On the application it says they won't contact your current employer if you so wish... I am just wondering if that is actually true or if they just contact them anyway?
Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
Re: Employment
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2017, 16:05:29 »
Do you think it's some kind of a trap or something? Questions and check boxes are there for a reason, and it's not to trip you up.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2017, 16:09:49 »
I don't think it is a trap, but my current employer is not exactly thrilled that I am looking for another job, i have already gotten heat from them about it. So much so that I would not use them as a reference. So my apologies for asking a normal question on a public domain..

Online kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2017, 16:10:23 »
Knowing that you have search Goggle: "site:army.ca contact employer" and read the 6 threads that address the question, I'm confident there is a suitable answer.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2017, 16:12:19 »
Ok Thanks!

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2017, 16:44:25 »
On the application it says they won't contact your current employer if you so wish... I am just wondering if that is actually true or if they just contact them anyway?

Question regarding DND Personal Data Verification
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,97476.msg1431064.html#msg1431064
Im in a situation where I kinda don't want my current employer to know Im applying for the Forces.

Forces.ca
http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/PersonalDataVerification.pdf
"You can advise us not to conduct a check of your employment background only if it pertains to
your current employer(s)."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 16:49:19 by mariomike »

Offline Kat Stevens

non atrocitate, non clementia mutabatur.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2017, 16:52:42 »
I don't think it is a trap, but my current employer is not exactly thrilled that I am looking for another job, i have already gotten heat from them about it. So much so that I would not use them as a reference. So my apologies for asking a normal question on a public domain..

I wasn't trying to climb up on you, it was a simple question. They wouldn't put the contact current employer box on the form if they were just going to circumvent your wishes and do it anyway.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2017, 17:09:56 »
What happens if a former employer gives you a bad reference? will your application be denied?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2017, 17:16:46 »
What happens if a former employer gives you a bad reference? will your application be denied?

Bad reference
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22bad+reference%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=uRoaWeyNFoON8QeI_YDICw&gws_rd=ssl

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 17:19:49 by mariomike »

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2017, 17:32:38 »
They don't contact them, they actually call you if you don't put anything there to confirm if you want them to contact them or not. As this would get some people in hot water if their current employers knew they were attempting to leave their current company, they don't call if you don't want them to.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2017, 18:19:59 »
From a CAF Recruiter,

Take a closer look at your PDV Form, specifically the very first page where you will see......

"For your employment history, all your previous employer(s) will be contacted; you can advise us not to conduct a check of your employment background only if it is pertains to your current employer(s)."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 18:23:07 by mariomike »