• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFB Cold Lake Thread- Merged

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Look at the costs of living in Edmonton vs Gagetown or Ottawa vs. Petawawa. Throwing a large number of service members into more expensive urban centres would in all likelihood make the majority of families worse off than if they remained in the more austere postings.

Unfortunately, the cost of living in Petawawa, in relation to it's size and available amenities, is also quite high. (As far as houses go - utilities, taxes and shopping are reasonable enough) Soldiers have, in large part contributed to the ridiculous rise of housing costs.  Yes, lack of homes also dictates that prices will be higher with demand being high, but most soldiers who get posted here will turn around in 4-6 years get posted out, and they all want to make a nice profit on their home.  I own a beautiful 4 bedroom home with a large lot that I paid $265,000 for this year.  It's original purchase price in 1991 as a new build was $121,000.  I checked around Ontario on MLS out of curiosity and found that my style of home sells in the $190-$220k range in cities like Barrie, Cornwall, London or Kitchener.  With such a high turnover rate of homes every year in Petawawa, the prices keep seeming to soar. Eventually it'll bottom out though!

reccecrewman said:
Unfortunately, the cost of living in Petawawa, in relation to it's size and available amenities, is also quite high. (As far as houses go - utilities, taxes and shopping are reasonable enough) Soldiers have, in large part contributed to the ridiculous rise of housing costs.  Yes, lack of homes also dictates that prices will be higher with demand being high, but most soldiers who get posted here will turn around in 4-6 years get posted out, and they all want to make a nice profit on their home.  I own a beautiful 4 bedroom home with a large lot that I paid $265,000 for this year.  It's original purchase price in 1991 as a new build was $121,000.  I checked around Ontario on MLS out of curiosity and found that my style of home sells in the $190-$220k range in cities like Barrie, Cornwall, London or Kitchener.  With such a high turnover rate of homes every year in Petawawa, the prices keep seeming to soar. Eventually it'll bottom out though!

You are right in that prices in more austere base locations have climbed over the years, but a large part of that can be directly attributed to the increases in benefits, pay, and the offsets of years of free tour money (another benefit). Your $265,000 house in Pet, with land, would be a heck of a lot more expensive in Ottawa or Toronto. The OP stated that we should only put bases in populated areas. So in his estimation, it's better for you to live in Toronto or Ottawa and pay $350,000 for an old PMQ (which is normal), higher land taxes, and higher utilities than to live in Pet and pay lower costs for housing because he estimates military wives working will offset the costs... which is crazy

Bird_Gunner45 said:
So in his estimation, it's better for you to live in Toronto or Ottawa and pay $350,000 for an old PMQ (which is normal), higher land taxes, and higher utilities than to live in Pet and pay lower costs for housing because he estimates military wives working will offset the costs... which is crazy

Agreed.  I was visiting a friend in Sydney (Australia) where the RAN Fleet Base is, and took the train to the airport which is located 10 mins from downtown.  I was on the train for an hour, and there were RAN members who were already on there when I got on and were going to the Fleet Base downtown (next to the spot where the Sydney Harbour Bridge pics are taken from.)  I ended up asking one of them why they took the train 1.5 hours each way every day, and it was because that was the only area that he could afford. 

The member was a PO who makes decent money, so I shudder to think where an OS/AB would be living there.  I guess the only saving grace is that Navy folks generally stick to their home port for longer than Army/AF folks.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
So in his estimation, it's better for you to live in Toronto or Ottawa and pay $350,000 for an old PMQ (which is normal), higher land taxes, and higher utilities than to live in Pet and pay lower costs for housing because he estimates military wives working will offset the costs... which is crazy

It is pretty difficult to make generalizations between Pet, TO, or Ottawa or compare Edmonton to Gagetown (Why those two I don't know).  Generally speaking our close to professional salary when coupled with a spouse with a close to professional salary will do better in standard of living and in equity in a much more robust urban real-estate market over the long term.

If you are comparing a Private/Cpl with a single income or a minimum wage second income Pet will likely beat Ottawa.  If you compare the same cities with a member whose spouse makes 70K in the city and $7/hr rural you may want to take the hit on higher utilities. 

That being said, we are in the Military so we don't always get to pick.  For some it works, for some it doesn't.  It is probably easier for the member to be flexible on an individual basis than to move 2 CMBG to Ottawa.  Nothing is stopping anyone from a 6 month release and if they can't find all their kit, joining the PRes.

Oh, and I have fish.  They are my children.  I love them, but they can't ride BMX's for s**t.

trustnoone73 said:
It is pretty difficult to make generalizations between Pet, TO, or Ottawa or compare Edmonton to Gagetown (Why those two I don't know).  Generally speaking our close to professional salary when coupled with a spouse with a close to professional salary will do better in standard of living and in equity in a much more robust urban real-estate market over the long term.

If you are comparing a Private/Cpl with a single income or a minimum wage second income Pet will likely beat Ottawa.  If you compare the same cities with a member whose spouse makes 70K in the city and $7/hr rural you may want to take the hit on higher utilities. 

That being said, we are in the Military so we don't always get to pick.  For some it works, for some it doesn't.  It is probably easier for the member to be flexible on an individual basis than to move 2 CMBG to Ottawa.  Nothing is stopping anyone from a 6 month release and if they can't find all their kit, joining the PRes.

Oh, and I have fish.  They are my children.  I love them, but they can't ride BMX's for s**t.

The problem is what % of those pet/cpl have spouses that make 70k? For those who do, the major cities are better and for those who don't the $7/hr might be the best option. I also agree that we can't compare gagetown and edmonton, but pet/Ottawa is a good comparison.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
The problem is what % of those pet/cpl have spouses that make 70k? For those who do, the major cities are better and for those who don't the $7/hr might be the best option. I also agree that we can't compare gagetown and edmonton, but pet/Ottawa is a good comparison.

Or Greenwood/Halifax, or (more of a stretch) Comox/Victoria/Vancouver.

Hey, I'm training in Borden as an AWS tech and I have some questions about Cold Lake for anyone who's been there before or recently.

How is the PMQ situation there? Being a single student in CFSATE it takes like 2 months to change your living status from prohibited to restricted, and then it takes a while to apply and get a PMQ, whole process took a couple of my married friends 2-4 months to get a PMQ. I am to understand that there is no living statuses such as prohibited or restricted when you are posted as a non-student but how long will it take from applying to receive one? I have a girl back home (Comox) and would love to have her moved out with me soon, but I can't afford rent in Cold lake.

A question for people who were there recently. What is the demand for PMQs? Are there not enough PMQs for the amount of people requesting them or are there a surplus? I've noticed the CF rarely have surpluses of anything  :-X.

My friend who was in Cold Lake for a tasking told me that since of the high CF quit rate there, the CF put a Rent can only be up to 25% of your income thing. Is that true? And is that your income on paper so before taxes?

Thanks for your time.

Try this thread and there may be some info for you.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/3933.0.html

Thanks Bruce for that post. I got some good information from that but from posts that were 11 years old and I think housing in a place like Cold lake can change alot in that time frame. Someone said theres alot of vacant housing, another person said there was a wait list.

I have been in Cold Lake for 6 years and living in a RHU the whole time. There are two different lists. You will be on the Priority 1 list for people getting posted in. (Pri 2 is people living elsewhere in CL who want a RHU for whatever reason but already have a place to live) When I left Borden I submitted the application by fax and a few days later had confirmation of the place I would be moving into. I believe my place on the list was determined by COS date. I was also single when I applied. There are many single people living in Qs here.

There are tonnes of empty units of various sizes.

I assume you will be coming as Private at the top pay incentive. (P3) P3 pay of 4120 + Cold Lake PLD of 320 is $4450. 25 percent of that is qbout $1100. Since you would get a small Q I assume, and have no kids you would probably be in a unit that is about $900-950 so the 25 % limit likely won't apply in your situation. It usually doesn't for the technician trades here.

The 25% limit was in place long before people started quitting in droves. And it's based on gross income before any deductions.

Thanks CDNAIRFORCE for your input, very helpful. I'm a P1 now and I'll be P2 by the time I'm in CL.

Is Pri 1 better than Pri 2? and is a RHU the same as a PMQ? Also, what is a COS date, I looked it up and it don't think it's Chief of Staff date lol.

I'm glad there are alot of empty units. I will ask my base before I move to CL for a PMQ ready to be moved into.

RHU is new term for PMQ. COS is change of strength, the date on your posting message you have to report to new unit. You'll be PRI 1 as you are a new posting to cold lake.

PuckChaser said:
RHU is new term for PMQ. COS is change of strength, the date on your posting message you have to report to new unit. You'll be PRI 1 as you are a new posting to cold lake.

Just so as to clarify, the CoS date is not necessarily your Report for Duty (RFD) date. It is the date that you now administratively belong to that new unit.

Well this topic as been fairly helpfull , we are pretty much in the same situation right now , I am applying for AWS Tech or AVS Tech ( both Spec ).  I am currently in the forces tho , so it would be a Transfer rather than a New application.  I saw that you get Spec Pay only once you do you're QL3 as a CPL , so that wouldn't apply to me as we speak.

We do not have any children right now.  But well let's just say we are having the "Baby Talk" quite frequently haha ! So I guess it's only a matter of time.  My girlfriend would most likely stay at home once we have children ( we figured it would be the best thing to do , not have to pay for daycare / gas for work / etc. etc. ).  She is also thinking about maybe trying to make a daycare.

We are more then willing to get a PMQ , we are not ready to buy a house just yet and honestly I don't really see why we would buy one.  Unless we get a REALLY AWFULL PMQ, we would most likely stay in that and be just fine!

We are currently in the market for a new car , yes I would love to get a new truck , but they don't come cheap ... and I don't want to buy one , then learn that I get posted to Cold Lake and have to serve table as a second job just to pay for the truck !

I have to say I am unfamiliar with all the posting side of the army , I don't know if you get to choose or at least have a say in where you would like to be posted.

I know that AWS Tech are basically Cold Lake , Bagotville , Greenwood and Comox , my 1st choice would DEFINETLY be Comox , but I know this is REALLY unlikely , I would love to get either Bagotville or Greenwood but I don't know how they decide who goes where.  My 1st language is french but I speak fluently English so that's not gonna be a deciding factor.

if anyone of you have any idea or enlightenment I would love it !

okay , I honestly don't really know what the QLs are or how to achieve the QL5. 

I don't even know if it's something everyone gets , or if it's certain classes that you have to master.

The only thing I know is that somewhere down the line I should become Spec pay ! lol , I'll try to read here about spec pay and QL's

Can anyone living in Cold lake tell me how the shacks are there? My main question is how often are room inspections?

kolkim said:
Can anyone living in Cold lake tell me how the shacks are there? My main question is how often are room inspections?
kolkim, why start a new thread when you already asked about CL? Questions about Cold Lake PMQs

Or, CDNAIRFORCE seemed knowledgeable, why not just PM?

Just asking....
ME

Quick question about the shacks and general area on the base at Cold Lake.  I've checked out their DIN Accn page and emailed but haven't gotten a reply.

Is there anywhere in or close to the shacks that has wifi?  I'm likely going there in the future, but am also doing a full credit course this spring and will have weekly things to submit, etc when I'm there, so I'm hoping there's something like the Dakota Inn, Yukon Lodge or something.  Canex? 

Any info appreciated!  I have a cell and could hotspot but if I change the awesome plan I have now to get data I'll never get my current plan back.

Club 41 has wifi and it's a stones throw from the shacks.

Back