Author Topic: what to do to be FE  (Read 61062 times)

Offline otis1111

• Rate Post
what to do to be FE
« on: May 18, 2011, 19:51:16 »
Hey, I'm a newb to the Airforce and am in Borden training as an AVN. Can anyone please tell me what I need to do in my career to become an FE. Very few people have info on this trade or so it seems.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
Re: what to do to be FE
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 22:15:58 »
First of all - complete training at Borden.  You are taking the right route - get qualified as an AVN and complete your first tour.  Apply for VOT to FE in the last year of your posting (which could be 7-9 years).  I know lots of guys who have taken this route.  Keep in mind that the bigger the aircraft the higher in rank you must be to fly on it.  Expect to start off on a helicopter or smaller twin engined aircraft.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 20:45:08 »
I spent my career as an AVS tech working on and flying in military aircraft. Great job great career.

But otis1111 I would love to be able to start on a hangar floor again and end up being a FE.  :nod:

Best of luck with your career.

Offline otis1111

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 20:59:30 »
Zoomie,

Thanks for the info.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 07:19:29 »
I've heard some rumint that FE may open up as a VOT option for trades other than AVN, do you know if there's any truth to that, Zoomie?

aesop081

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:05:39 »
I've heard some rumint that FE may open up as a VOT option for trades other than AVN, do you know if there's any truth to that, Zoomie?

Yes, AVS tech.

Offline The Gues-|-

• Rate Post
  • Releasing the hounds of God. 3000 7.62 per minute!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 13:25:15 »
Hey, I'm a newb to the Airforce and am in Borden training as an AVN. Can anyone please tell me what I need to do in my career to become an FE. Very few people have info on this trade or so it seems.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

According to a senior FE I just asked who I work and live with here overseas, you are on the right track.  Time required to be an AVN tech prior to FE is getting less and less.  Most FE's here have at least 5 years as AVN tech before they applied to transfer to FE.  Also, there are some FE's here that are on their first tour.  He suggest AVN tech for 2 years then apply for transfer.
We aint making goddamn cornflakes here!

Offline otis1111

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 13:57:23 »
Thanks for the info The Gues-l-. All of the info I can get on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Offline nickanick

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 03:54:06 »
Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question.

What is the minimum rank of FEs?
Since you will have already been in CF for < 3years(Training) + <5 years( being an AVN tech).
Would you still be a Corporal by then?

Also, What does loadie means?

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 09:09:23 »
Also, What does loadie means?

A loadie is the loadmaster on an aircraft.  Usually Traffic Techs.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:46:00 »
A loadie is the loadmaster on an aircraft.  Usually Traffic Techs.
With one exception, they are always Tfc Techs. The one exception being the Air Log Capt doing the Cabin Crew Leader position at 437 Sqn.

aesop081

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 09:50:18 »

Would you still be a Corporal by then?

Yes.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 09:54:40 »
With one exception, they are always Tfc Techs.

I thought so, but wasn't sure if it had changed since I was a Tfc Tech.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 15:54:03 »
I see the future of the loadmaster trade separating itself from the traffic tech trade.  With the eventual phasing out of the FE trade throughout the CF, I envisage the LM position to be filled by more technically minded folks (ie those who currently populate the FE trade).  My FE was an excellent LM - the best of both worlds.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline HercFE

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 16:07:35 »
First of all let me clarify something the FE trade is NOT being phased out. it is how ever under going some big changes. If you are still in Borden and have not recieved a posting message , push for a unit that currently has FEs (not fighters). There is a move a foot to lower the rank level forthe entire FE trade (Cpl- Sgt) after Sgt you get remusterd back into the Tech side of the house. The other thing is that if you train on an aircraft as an AVN tech you will be (can be) employed on on the same aircraft as an FE. I have one guy who was a Herc tech, who is now a Cpl FE on the Herc course as we speak. Things are changing in the trade, but at this point we don't know what the final out come will be. It is a very rewarding job, how ever there are large demands on both your personel and profesional life.

Good luck
IF it's not broken, don't fix it.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 22:15:41 »
First of all let me clarify something the FE trade is NOT being phased out.
I sure hope not - who else will fetch me my water and cook the grill cheese sandwiches?   :warstory:
Per Ardua Ad Astra

aesop081

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 22:17:51 »
who else will fetch me my water and cook the grill cheese sandwiches?   :warstory:

You'll do that yourself if you know whats good for ya..............

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 22:26:11 »
You'll do that yourself if you know whats good for ya..............

Sounds like you MAG guys haven't been keeping your FE in line.  I'm am pretty sure that it is in their PDR.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

aesop081

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 22:31:16 »
Sounds like you MAG guys haven't been keeping your FE in line.  I'm am pretty sure that it is in their PDR.

No, with the NCMs now outnumbering the officers on the plane, theres been a power shift and the FE don't have to put up with that crap anymore.

We're high enough for you to eat, we're high enough for you to get it yourself.

Offline greydak

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 16:08:45 »
Can an ACS Tech become a FE?
Who Dares Wins

Offline Trunk Monkey

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 21:32:50 »
Can an ACS Tech become a FE?

Short answer, no.

Offline AAF

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 18:38:43 »
Ok, so i`m getting ready to finish my AVN course, and bound for 8AMS in October. But my question is, that 5 years before you can start the OT process over to FE, where does that 5 years start? Like from the start of my AVN contract last year (meaning i have 4 years left)? or does it start when i am not an apprentice anymore and fully qualified at 8AMS?

Online Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 21:01:27 »
Starts once you're not apprenctice anymore. 5 years is the average for getting your level A. I believe that is why.
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline mr peabody

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 10:06:10 »
The five year figure is just a ball park number.  The time to level A will depend on what fleet you are on and where you're working.  Once you get to Trenton the folks there will have seen many people through the process, and will be able to give you a better frame of reference.
" Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't. "

Offline Trunk Monkey

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 21:54:27 »
Ok, so i`m getting ready to finish my AVN course, and bound for 8AMS in October. But my question is, that 5 years before you can start the OT process over to FE, where does that 5 years start? Like from the start of my AVN contract last year (meaning i have 4 years left)? or does it start when i am not an apprentice anymore and fully qualified at 8AMS?

Seeing you're ending up on Hercs, look at about 4 yrs before getting level A, meaning you can sweep floors unsupervised and the such. That puts you near the what, 5.5 year mark in the military? Apply then. Do NOT let your CoC bs you that you cannot do it. Follow up on everything you submit, and I mean everything. It is well known that applications vanish or sit on the bottom of a basket belonging to a bitter SAMS who hates FE's. So, once there, get to know some of the FE's on the base. And once it's time to make the leap, enlist their help.  You may find much "resistance" when you decide to remuster, that's why you ask for the FE's help. They know the ropes and can get things rolling if you meet a wall of crap from your CoC. Saying that, when you do make the leap, good chance there will be a AM Sup(maybe your crew chief or the SAMS)who was an FE (trade restructuring thing I'm sure you've heard about) and he/she would be the person to talk to then.