Author Topic: Why we pay Reservists what we do (Including Reg v.s. Cl B v.s. Cl C pay, and Double-Dippin')  (Read 244448 times)

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
You are thinking of what used to be Service Personnel Holding List (SPHL) and is not the Retention & Transition List (RTL) - This is a regular force thing.

Should that be "now" vice "not"?  It's a little confusing as it reads.

Did they rename yet another organization?

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
It should read "now."
The rename is part of a change in role & the whole new JPSU thing.

Online PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Not only did I work full time on various bases, but as well trained with my unit at night and on weekends, with no extra pay.  Full Days Pay was just that, regardless of who you were working for and the hours you put in.

Reg F personnel don't get paid extra for working nights or weekends either.  Other than that, interesting first post!
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
If I remember correctly, CF members who were injured were being put into a holding pattern in ...... I thought.... the PRL.  They did not belong to any one Reserve Unit, and were administered through the CF.  There are also former Reg Force members wearing the hatbadge of their Reg Force affiliation, who also do not belong to any one Reserve Unit.  Under what "program" are they working?  I have seen this across the country, not just in Ottawa/NCR.

I know two who wear their former RegF Unit capbadges still who are employed in CTC; I'll send them an email tomorrow (although - I'm sure they had both mentionned before they were PRL & ergo the reasons they were allowed to wear their regF capbadge still). Will confirm.

But, my friend WO Ian Culbertson (now deceased) was definetely PRL. He was burried in his PPCLI cap badge - the same one he wore whilst RegF and once he retired and began working as a Class B as the 3 ASG HA until his death last fall.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 22:45:26 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
I know two who wear their former RegF Unit capbadges still who are employed in CTC;
There are some employed at CTC in Gagetown who are on the NDHQ PRL. That could be the case with the pers you know.  I've also known some reservists to keep wearing whatever they used to wear despite what was currently being worn by the regiment that owned them.

Offline Reservist4Life

• Rate Post
Re: Reservists want equal pay - Labour minister takes heat
« Reply #330 on: October 05, 2009, 21:26:22 »

Reservists on class B are paid 85% of Reg salary with vacation days tacked onto the end of their Class B employment.

When discussing reservists you have to discuss the benefits that the reservists on long term contracts are entitled to...

I am not sure where these "vacation days" went but I didn't get any at the end of my contracts.  What I did get was 2 days leave for every 30 days on Class B, 22 days for a full year contract.  If that is what your referring too, it is not tacked onto the end and it isn't in the form of money.  Leave must be taken prior to end of contract.

Class A reservists get the "PILL" Pay in Lieu of Leave.

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #331 on: October 05, 2009, 21:50:15 »
I'm not certain about the Army Reserve, but for the Navy IAW MARGEN 9-1 the unit is able to approve up to three days leave at the end of a contract. Any remaining leave must be approved by higher command. In practice, this means, use your leave or lose it unless there is an operational reason not to use it.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline dapaterson

- a scruffy-looking nerf herder.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #332 on: October 05, 2009, 22:01:38 »
I'm not certain about the Army Reserve, but for the Navy IAW MARGEN 9-1 the unit is able to approve up to three days leave at the end of a contract. Any remaining leave must be approved by higher command. In practice, this means, use your leave or lose it unless there is an operational reason not to use it.

Leave is an entitlement - a superior can't order a subordinate to forfeit leave.  Indeed, it's the superior's fault their subordinate still has leave remaining at the end of a period of employment - why didn't they provide supervision and ensure their subordinate took their leave?  Sounds like the supervisor was negligent in the performance of a duty to me...

The new leave admin manual discusses that situation, and provides for three options for Reservists with leave remaining at the end of a period of full-time service:

(1) Extend the period of service to provide the leave (and note that this could result in more calendar days, if it goes over stat holidays or weekends);
(2) If the member is continuing on full-time service with a new employer, with that employer's permission carry the leave entitlement forward with them; or
(3) Cash out of leave IAW CBI 205.75 (I think that's the ref).

"Refuse to give them leave and tell them tough" doesn't appear to be a legal option.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
There are some employed at CTC in Gagetown who are on the NDHQ PRL. That could be the case with the pers you know.  I've also known some reservists to keep wearing whatever they used to wear despite what was currently being worn by the regiment that owned them.

Strictly speaking: If they are employed at CTC they are probably on the LFC PRL, not the NDHQ PRL.  On the other hand, if they were working at the CFRC in Fredericton, they'd be more likely to be on the NDHQ PRL.

(And I have seen one forlorn major in NDHQ wandering around with the crossed rifles of the Inf corps badge, though of late he seems to have picked up the accoutrements of one of the highland regiments.  There was also a Cpl with a tan beret and the Inf badge)
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Strictly speaking: If they are employed at CTC they are probably on the LFC PRL, not the NDHQ PRL.  On the other hand, if they were working at the CFRC in Fredericton, they'd be more likely to be on the NDHQ PRL.
Is it the LFC or (as I'd always heard) Land Staff PRL?  Either way, the examples I am aware of employed in CTC are most definitely on the NDHQ PRL (even if the other would be more appropriate). 

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Is it the LFC or (as I'd always heard) Land Staff PRL?  Either way, the examples I am aware of employed in CTC are most definitely on the NDHQ PRL (even if the other would be more appropriate).

It is the LFC PRL - UIC 1184 (although a PRL is not a unit).

Offline stripes

• Rate Post
The new leave admin manual discusses that situation, and provides for three options for Reservists with leave remaining at the end of a period of full-time service:

(1) Extend the period of service to provide the leave (and note that this could result in more calendar days, if it goes over stat holidays or weekends);
(2) If the member is continuing on full-time service with a new employer, with that employer's permission carry the leave entitlement forward with them; or
(3) Cash out of leave IAW CBI 205.75 (I think that's the ref).

"Refuse to give them leave and tell them tough" doesn't appear to be a legal option.

Does anyone know if this would apply to leave received in 2007 but not used? Specifically the cash out option?
I had a Class B contract for a course and a Class C contract for workup/tour overlap, so I lost 3 annual leave days. I asked to take the leave while on the Class C but was told no. Since getting back from tour, I've been bugging my BOR about it, but I they have not been able to give me an answer.

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
As far as I recall it has been the policy since they introduced reserve leave that it had to be used, added to the end or carried over to the new contract.  Don't know about the cash out as never had that come up for reserves. 

The problem now is that if you were able to get the cash out it should have been done in 2007.

You could try a redress of grievance but even that is supposed to be submitted within 6 months of the event grieved and you are well past that.  Unless you can proof exceptional circumstances for submitting one so late they might not even consider it.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
This was posted in another discussion yesterday,

I would argue that reservists are underpaid by 15 per cent.

Saw this explanation from 2008,

Reservists generally make 15 per cent less than their regular force counterparts, said Capt. Ron Kronstein of army public affairs.

"It’s seen as a form of compensation for not being posted or told where to go every few years," Capt. Kronstein said in an e-mail.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:36:02 by mariomike »