Author Topic: RegF Support Staff (RSS) - Reserve Trg hours [Merged]  (Read 58338 times)

Offline Monsoon

• Rate Post
Re: RegF Support Staff (RSS) - Reserve Trg hours [Merged]
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2011, 14:35:54 »
Pusser, obviously we have lots of folk who aren't smart enough to make that distinction.................
He's not making widgets in a factory, he's providing a leadership, acting as a primary point of contact and serving as a resource for mostly everything. My least favourite aspect of returning to class "A" life was fielding phone calls and email at my civilian job from people at HQ and other units who couldn't reach the full-time staff at my unit because they were on leave/taking CTO/at the bank/picking up their daughter early from school because obviously their spouse (who had a "real" job) couldn't do that/etc. 90% of reserve unit life is being there when someone's trying to reach you.

I'm sure if the OP staffs up a solution that mitigates for this effect by making sure there's coverage by a senior day staff member who's prepared to put out fires related to his colleague's portfolios at all times during the work week, then he'll be able to effect the change he's looking for.

Offline MARS

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2011, 16:14:48 »
wesleyd, where is your Staff Officer on this?  (Or Training Officer or XO - whoever the full-time, RegF or Class B officer is at your unit)  That person is your DivO and should be the conduit to Command here.  There should be between 9 and 11 full-time staff at your Unit.  All of them - including the Staff Officer - should be subject to these same expectations.  Is this an issue among the entire day staff?  If not, why not?  How are they mitigating these requirements?  Unless your personal circumstances are so unique that they don't apply to the rest of the staff, this shouldn't be falling all on your to resolve.

Regards,

MARS
"Managers do things right; Leaders do the right thing"

Offline wesleyd

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 09:38:13 »
The RSS staff at most of the NAVRES units are intergal to the running of the unit. I do believe the OP is a stoker and part of his duties are usually the building mgr. Quite a few units like the building mgr around when the building is actually open for example training nights.
As well most NAVRES units do not have a lot of senior people there in the engineering department and often look to the expertise of the reg force stoker there again during training nights. How about volunteering to come in on training nights and actually mentor the young MESO's there? This way it might be more palatable to your COC to allow you time off.
From what I can see you are are posted to a unit where the COC relies of their regular force personnel and expects max participation.
If I can give any advice to you is still work the CTO angle, don't burn your bridges and if that doesn't work do your 3 years and get posted back to the coast.
I do come in on every training night, and mentor when I can if there is people there to do so.

Offline wesleyd

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2011, 09:49:15 »
First thanks for the replies and points of view. We have reached an understanding at the unit now regarding day staff and Reg force. And it appears to be fair , I think, to everyone. It has command support so that is the main thing. I really enjoy working at this unit and don't want to spend the next 3/4 years arguing about this.
We have formulated that for training evenings we can accumulate the hours up to 48 hrs and take up to 2 days short per month, as per leave manual and CSO's. In addition if we have admin to do the day after a training admin night we can take up to two hours for that without any paperwork. For the monthly training Saturday we can take one of the short days as well. And if we have any admin to do our HOD's are able to grant the time to do so accordingly. We also have 1 hour per day of PT during working hours that can be used at anytime to allow the offices to be staffed at all times. I think that this is the most fair outcome of the situation. I understand that Reserves are part time and that when they come in for training they need to get the most value out of that short window of training time they have. I fully support the unit and give 110% at all times. For example I even taught for the forenoon this week end. Even though this is not in my scope of responsibilities as the facility manager I do enjoy it and like to pass on any knowledge I have gained throughout the years bobbing around on the ocean.
Thanks again everyone the insight is appreciated.

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2011, 10:19:26 »
I do come in on every training night, and mentor when I can if there is people there to do so.

Sounds like you have everything straightened out and my hat goes to you for helping out in the engineering department. Some of the units do not have that kind of expertise.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Hotwire

• Gun Plumer
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2012, 08:09:30 »
Good morning,

As I am RSS, and have been for 3 years now. A Lot of things have come to light to me in regards to this job and its duties. Previously my understanding was that RSS was a sort of mentoring and "Fill in" role. Meaning, that the RSS would help develop the troops in the unit, Keeping a state of equilibrium, And filling in for the duties where the CoC (In both directions). Now that I have been doing this job for so long, the realization as to just what RSS means to the RES Units. None of what I thought I new was true.

-We're used as GD's
-We're expected to do the job of EVERY soldier in EVERY rank level
-We're held responsible for the short comings
-We're to give recognition to the member we replaced for the good job we did
-We're held to the highest standard and given the highest of expectations
-Our "Equal" Res Counter part(s) do not seem to be held to ANY standard or any expectation
-Our admin is the lowest in priority (Iv seen promotions lost due to bad Res. admin)

Maybe Its just me, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, or just in the wrong unit.

You tell me!

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 08:14:03 »
Just like in the Regular Force, not every unit is the same. You are taking about your views and experiences from only one end of a very broad spectrum.

Offline Hotwire

• Gun Plumer
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 08:19:17 »
I'm sure your right, Hence why I asked if I was just in the wrong unit. I'm guessing, circumstances, and positions also dictate in regards to these issues as well.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 08:25:10 »
It would appear Mr O'Leary put the whole thing in a nutshell for you.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 11:56:04 »
Back in the 80’s the RSS gave stability to the unit and dealt with the day to day issues. They all took part in tasks as required due to the small number of RSS and Class B (3x RSS and 2x Class b on average). The RSS mentored soldiers within their rank structure and helped individuals with postings and tasks. I would say that 90% of the RSS staff I met were excellent and important to both myself and the unit. Not everyone is cut out to be RSS staff and it requires a unique skill set.

Offline Hotwire

• Gun Plumer
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 12:28:03 »
Back in the 80’s the RSS gave stability to the unit and dealt with the day to day issues. They all took part in tasks as required due to the small number of RSS and Class B (3x RSS and 2x Class b on average). The RSS mentored soldiers within their rank structure and helped individuals with postings and tasks. I would say that 90% of the RSS staff I met were excellent and important to both myself and the unit. Not everyone is cut out to be RSS staff and it requires a unique skill set.

It most definatly is an aquiered taste, and a special skill set. Dealing with day to day issues, mentoring, helping, and taking part in tasks is one thing. And NOT an issue. Its the fact that during the week, my Coy is one deep, Me. All threw out the year we (Being the Unit) are offering A-Class work. How ever, the picking and choosing is rediculous. And after 3 years of unwaivering fortitude to do these jobs, without question, We have a new CO. Who's new policies and trg calander prevent most of the FTUC staff from getting time off. And In the event that a day IS taken, we are berated on the parade nights about loyalty, dedication, and profesionalism.. or our lack there of. This goes for Pre- and Post-Ex drills. They all want to have fun on the weekend, yet no one is willing to come in to setup, or after to tear down. Its the FTUC that are left to do the eintire BN's dirty work, But the COY CSM's Get gold stars for making it happen. enough is enough.

Again, This is from one point of view.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 12:38:58 »
It most definatly is an aquiered taste, and a special skill set. Dealing with day to day issues, mentoring, helping, and taking part in tasks is one thing. And NOT an issue. Its the fact that during the week, my Coy is one deep, Me. All threw out the year we (Being the Unit) are offering A-Class work. How ever, the picking and choosing is rediculous. And after 3 years of unwaivering fortitude to do these jobs, without question, We have a new CO. Who's new policies and trg calander prevent most of the FTUC staff from getting time off. And In the event that a day IS taken, we are berated on the parade nights about loyalty, dedication, and profesionalism.. or our lack there of. This goes for Pre- and Post-Ex drills. They all want to have fun on the weekend, yet no one is willing to come in to setup, or after to tear down. Its the FTUC that are left to do the eintire BN's dirty work, But the COY CSM's Get gold stars for making it happen. enough is enough.

Again, This is from one point of view.

Can you approach your CO and explain your concerns honestly and openly and get a fair hearing?

If not, and you fear that your staff will continue to get the short straw with collaterally adverse impacts on unit performance, there's a chain of command for a reason. Don't treat us any different from any other part of the Army.... please!!!
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Cardstonkid

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2012, 12:45:15 »
I think most RSS are over tasked, especially the MCpl's and Sgt's, there is just to much for a unit to do, and no ability to do it, unless the RSS get it done. I suspect this to be a pretty common feature of many Reserve units.

I know many RSS feel overburdened, unappreciated, and unsupported by those they are tasked to serve.

Sometimes, there is a tendency in a unit to have an "us vs them" attitude with regards to the Class A and the RSS / Class B.

As a Class A, I see this at times, and I get where it comes from on both sides, but it isn't healthy and will get a unit nowhere quickly.

The Reserves are under tremendous strain. From what I have seen, most units out west are losing more than they are recruiting. Many of the class A leadership are burned out, and there is no simple way to create leadership that is so vitally needed. The result is that the RSS, out of necessity pick up the slack, and try to keep the gong show running.

I appreciate the long hours of work and commitment of the RSS staff. It is a unique job, that is a lot more the a 9-5 seven day a week responsibility. It is a service that requires a good attitude, the patience of Jobe, and the tolerance of Ghandi.

Remember the Class A guy who is showing up regularly may not have had a day off this month, he may get grumpy, and maybe a bit envious of the Reg force guys, but in the end, us class A guys know that without the RSS there would be no Reserves.

Good luck, these will be challenging days ahead for the Reserves, especially the RSS.
UBIQUE!

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2012, 13:17:33 »
Well having been full time staff at a unit as well as working closely with RSS I have seen both extremes.  Some really switched on people and some craptacular rejects.  I know at my unit, they wnated to keep the the class B reserve OPS officer and OPS WO but were told that no, they were posting in two reg force types as they were reg force positions.  The ones there now are doing good work, go out on ex etc.  Their expertise and contacts are definitly an asset.

As far as our CC is concerned we've never been able to keep them long enough.  They either take stress leave or ask to be posted out.  many attempts have been made to make the CC a class B position since our class B guys and girls seem to know how to run the OR. 

We also have an RSS that brings a wealth of experience and qualifications to the QM without who everything would be ten times harder given our unit supporting several brigade klevel activities, courses etc.

With some creativity, class A guys, CTO and short leave, the unit attempts to balance as much of the workload as possible.  A lot of this came as result of those concerned, using the CoC to effect change.

It isn't perfect.  But it can be better.
Optio

Offline Hotwire

• Gun Plumer
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2012, 14:00:40 »
thank you all for the insight.

Pursuing this up the chain... Both the OPs O and OPs WO have spoken to the CO. So have the Adj, and the Padre. Its his vision, and he is keeping it. We try to swing things, and make it run. But it is a rough time. Its made us few FTUC (6 of us) learn to work together, at all rank levels and to give and take equally.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 14:13:27 »
My tour as an RSSO was in the late 70s and it was a great experience primarily because I was given clear and concise terms of reference as to what my job was.

The TOR was the following: "If there is some reservist who knows how to do a given job, let him do it; if there is no one doing the job but there is a reservist who is prepared to do it then teach him how and let him get on with the job; if there is no reservist who knows how to do the job or wants to do it then get it done yourself."

Just as an aside, the unit had some twenty-five reports and returns to file annually. I adopted an attitude that I would only file the ones where someone actually cared enough to send me a hastener asking where the report was. There were only three of those. Why do we bury the leadership of these units with the very few paid days they get with a mess of useless paper to shuffle around?

Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 14:22:48 »
Does the RSS Officer still mostly fill out the pos of Adjt and not confer with the Bde G3 anymore?  It was another way I saw where concerns could be discussed, with the G3 having access to the HQ CO/COS.   :2c:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 14:30:35 by Eye In The Sky »
Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline Hotwire

• Gun Plumer
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2012, 14:34:04 »
Our OPs O and Adj are two different people. The OPs O is Reg Force, and the Adj is a B-Class Res. and only for the next few weeks at that.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 14:41:17 »
Roger.  However, more importantly, does the RSS Officer have regular comm's with the Bde G3?  I ask because the Bde HQ I was at in yester-year, the RSS O had access to the G3 ( Reg Force Major), the G3 had access to the Bde HQ CO/CO ( Reg Force LCol).   I think the rest is obvious.

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2012, 20:19:01 »
I see that your title says Gun Plumber. Are you currently working as support staff in a maintenance unit or higher level?
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2012, 20:32:00 »
Roger.  However, more importantly, does the RSS Officer have regular comm's with the Bde G3?  I ask because the Bde HQ I was at in yester-year, the RSS O had access to the G3 ( Reg Force Major), the G3 had access to the Bde HQ CO/CO ( Reg Force LCol).   I think the rest is obvious.

No, the Commissar system was dismantled when the RFC were taken into the unit chain of command.

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2012, 21:09:44 »
My RSS Captain is both Adj and OPs O he converse with the Bgde G3 and his shop regularly along with the rest of the Bdge staff, as does my RSS Sgt that is in the OPs WO postion.
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline Michael O'Leary

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2012, 21:28:30 »
What Eye is talking about is the "old days" when the RSS were in a separate chain of command. The discussions he's referring to were the RSS receiving direction from District Staff Officers/Area COSs and using that chain in parallel with the Unit/Disrict (Bde)/Area chain of command. The down side is the RSS could get trapped between two non-convergent intents for their employment.

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2012, 07:36:17 »
Ahh. Other than the Royal's Mafia yeah not some much any more.
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2012, 09:54:32 »
Some "form" of it existed between 02-06, informally atleast.