Author Topic: Weapons Engineering Technician  (Read 23827 times)

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
Weapons Engineering Technician
« on: December 14, 2011, 13:34:12 »
I currently am considering joining the Navy and in particular I'm interested in being a Weapons Engineering Technician. This trade i understand is a very new one and despite doing a lot of searching on this site i was unable to find a post dedicated specifically to this unique and important trade.
From my understanding this trade is a amalgamation of Naval Weapons Tech, and the Naval Electronics Tech trades (Radar, Sonar, Communications).
I believe they have taken a ACISS trade style approach where you receive general training then you pick 3 choices from 5 sub trades.
I have just a few questions. How short handed are they and is there any sub-trade in particular? and is there any major issues at the moment because it was just amalgamated? What type of training system do they have set up? and because it is short-staffed is there any major problems for the people in the trade?
Also if any information is incorrect please correct it, I am only a pte. in the reserves and i have no Navy or full time experience so my knowledge is fairly limited.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Weapons Engineering Technician
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 14:28:37 »
and is there any major issues at the moment because it was just amalgamated?

No sirrrreeee, no problems there, everything's hunky-dory, just another day in paradise. <whistling while looking around the room>.

;D

Offline QAD

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 22:07:00 »
Lots of good questions there.

Right now, the trade is short handed in journeyman, consequence of the pre-amalgamation situation. They have many hundreds trainees doing BMQ, QL3 and QL4. It still takes some time to resolve maning issues at the journeyman level due to the time it takes to fully train a journeyman (if there is such a thing as someone fully trained in modern military).

All WENG techs together forms the Combat Systems Engineering (CSE) department on a ship. Lots of apprentices (OS and AB in rank) are doing their QL4 package (which is where you start on a ship).  Their QL4 is basicaly divided in 2 big sections. First, they have around 1 year to learn all the basic stuff on the boat, sail, do some basic maintenance with the journeymans... Then they start learning during 15 months (if my memory is right), all the various subtrades, in 3 months rotations. Once they are done with their packages, they have a big evaluation, a promotion, a pay raise, and are sent back to school for about a year.

We now have 5 basic subtrades
Sonar ; in charge of all the underwater stuff and more...
Radar ; in charge of a bunch of radars + combat computer system
Fire control ; in charge of missiles + fire control radars (lots of work with the actual system but it is being replaced)
Communications ; thats pretty much it
Armament ; YAY ! (best stuff IMHO) ;D , we're in charge of 3 pieces of kit ; the CIWS (phalanx), the gun (57mm bofor) and the brand new MASS (missile decoy)

A big detail to remember, YOU DO NOT PICK YOUR TRADE  !! During your big evaluation, they will take into account your preferences for subtrade, the comments of your supervising journeymans AND WHAT THEY ACTUALLY NEED

If there are 10 of you guys (freshly qualified QL4) and they need 10 radar techs, you're all gonna be radar techs. It's that simple.

But don't be alarmed, 80 to 90% of the job is done by the whole department. An Armament tech  :nod:  will pretty much do armament stuff 10-20% of the time. CSE dept is pretty good with this stuff. We mix and match a lot... which is a very good thing to do IMO.

Hope this helped.. but Armament is still the kickass trade, like NWT was before that whole amalgamation thing

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 14:43:24 »
Thank you that was some very valueable information.
I am looking at doing possibly applying for sub work if i joined full time and was also wondering is there any subtrades that are not needed on a sub or any subtrades that are emphisized for working on a sub. Also when do you tell them you are interested in working on a sub, ive heard during your Q5 but im not sure.

Offline QAD

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 18:56:06 »
Anything I say is only about CSE department. I dont have any info about the other departments.

To my knowledge, the subs are still working under the old trade systems for another year. (We dont have a lot of subs, therefore we dont have a lot of submarineers, and even less CSE submarineers, and even less weapons tech submarineers... ) They need some more time to make sure they have enough people of each trades for each sub.

Here is an approximate career path for a Weng tech who wants to go to sub.

BMQ, 13 weeks
QL3, 6 months
QL4 + that other package on ship, 28 to 30 months. During that time they start asking you what you want to do. You answer submarine. They put it in your file and pretty much forget about it.
QL5 devided in 2 sections, 6 months academics and 6 months equipment (You make sure you remember the school early during the QL5 academics phase, that you want to go sub)
If you are accepted and pass the pressure test, you bypass the surface equipment phase, are sent to do basic sub training for a few months, then your QL5 trade for submarine for a few more months. You then get your posting to become a sub trainee and spend the next few years learning everything about the victoria class. Don't expect to be home a lot. Expect a lots of long days, long weeks.

Any submarineer, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Dont sign up for reg force expecting to go sub. A lot of things can happen and stop you from getting there. If you want to be a CSE guy on a sub, it takes a long time to get there. If you are really interested in going sub, ask for a tour, submarineers are awesome guys, they're always happy to do some recruiting.

Just remember that some people can't even go down the ladder. Some others realize that there is small, and diesel-sub-small to live in.

Offline Sub-normal

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 23:46:34 »
The breakdown for the new trades on subs is the following, 3x Fire Control, 3x Sonar and 2x Radio.  The fire control guys will have the torpedo tubes, Weapons System Data Bus , and the Fire Control Consols.  Sonar will have all the various sonars along with the Periscopes, and Comms will have the comms systems, nav radar and EW gear.

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 16:58:41 »
One more thing is the trade red listed (cannot change your trade) currently?

Offline QAD

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 22:18:05 »
From the recent update we've got, the WENG trade is now yellow, with a possibility of turning green next year.

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 22:50:12 »
That's excellent news thanks

Offline Hockey89

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 20:44:41 »
For the section that is 28-30months. Is that 28-30 months out of port? Is it it like 12 months at sea, some in port kind of thing?

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 07:22:41 »
That is 28-30 months of employment on a ship doing OJT (On Job Training) packages. 

The actual sailing time will depend on the ship you belong to.  During that period, some ships may sail a lot, or just a little.  I was on HMCS CHARLOTTETOWN from May 2010 through September 2011, and the ship sailed for 9 of those months, including a 6 month deployment to Libya.

Some of the time may be spent attached to a ship that's in Refit, so there might be little or no sailing during that period, but in order to progress training, the trade is working to get sailors onto sea-going units. 

Does that help?

NS

(WEng Sonar...)
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Hockey89

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 15:50:40 »
Yes very much so! Thank you very much!

Offline Cwes

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 18:56:33 »
I have found conflicting locations as to where QL3 is held for WENG. On the forces recruiting page, the video says it is held in Halifax and in the Occupational section it says Esquimalt. I have also spoken to an acquaintance who is a Chief and he seems uncertain as to where the training is held now. Does anyone have an idea on where it is held now?

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 21:29:00 »
I have found conflicting locations as to where QL3 is held for WENG. On the forces recruiting page, the video says it is held in Halifax and in the Occupational section it says Esquimalt. I have also spoken to an acquaintance who is a Chief and he seems uncertain as to where the training is held now. Does anyone have an idea on where it is held now?

QL3 Academic and HFX class equipment training is currently only being conducted in Halifax.  The only WENG training that was conducted on the west coast was for IRO class.  However, with the reorganization of NPTG/NFS(A)/NFS(P), some WENG training may eventually end up being on both coasts.  It won't be tomorrow, though.

Offline NavyHopeful

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 01:59:47 »
As far as I know, with the amalgamation of the schools, they were supposed to be able to do video-conferencing for classes, so you could have your classes on both coasts.  As far as I am aware, right now, they are still pushing through the QL3 courses here in Halifax, and when you get to your QL5 level, you can do the academic portion on either coast, but you may have to come from BC to Halifax for certain equipment phases.

Case in point:  When I did my QL5s for Comms, I had some folks from the west coast join me for about 4-6 weeks for SHINCOM, CCMS, and HFTX/HFRX because they didn't have a trainer set up out west.  They may have something set up now, as my 5s were a couple of years ago, but I know they try not to move the 5s guys around too much.  I think it might be the whole "Mission First, People Always" thingy they got going on.