Author Topic: Reserve NCM to Reserve Officer  (Read 14571 times)

Offline DaveLee

• Rate Post
Re: Reserve NCM to Reserve Officer
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 22:30:15 »
My CFAT score was high enough to enrol as an officer for the trades that are currently open for hiring. When I do apply to become an officer (whatever this process is called), I would have completed BMQ and BMQ-L.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 22:32:31 »
No you will complete BMQ and BMOQ Part 2 and BMOQ-L
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
NCM to Officer (reserves): quitting and re-applying
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 16:09:56 »
I am currently a reserve NCM (two hook) who possesses an advanced degree, and would like to make the switch to the officer stream after several years as an NCM. However, my current unit has more than enough officers. I would feel rather bad about abandoning my regiment, and were I much younger I would simply wait it out until an opportunity arises, but time really isn't on my side at my current age.

My question is therefore: would it be a good idea to release and then immediately re-apply from scratch? Is that "kosher", or would there be some issues in the way? For example, I have heard of people attempting to immediately re-join and being told they had to wait for a time until doing so. Better a bird in the hand than two on the tree, and so on.

Any advice on my situation would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 16:21:32 by Marchog »

Online Pickle Rick

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 16:49:42 »
Don’t release.

Look at other units, and transfer over when you make the switch from NCM to Officer.  Speak with your chain of command and understand what the process is.  Expect to have an interview at the unit you want to join as an officer.

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 17:56:35 »
"Look at other units, and transfer over when you make the switch from NCM to Officer."

So, pardon me if this is a dumb question, but how do I do this? Contact another unit asking if they need an officer? Apply as an officer there while currently serving as an NCM elsewhere? That seems rather strange, though I might have misunderstood you.

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 16:10:04 »
So I took a look around, and issue is that the reserve units in this area all have a centralized recruiting system, so the contact info just leads back to the brigade-level recruiting office. I'll give a few a call (since I think they have individual phone numbers), but it still seems kind of awkward to be contacting units outside of my COC. Should I let my COC know explicitly what I'm up to?

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 18:25:58 »
I am currently a reserve NCM (two hook) who possesses an advanced degree, and would like to make the switch to the officer stream after several years as an NCM. However, my current unit has more than enough officers. I would feel rather bad about abandoning my regiment, and were I much younger I would simply wait it out until an opportunity arises, but time really isn't on my side at my current age.

My question is therefore: would it be a good idea to release and then immediately re-apply from scratch? Is that "kosher", or would there be some issues in the way? For example, I have heard of people attempting to immediately re-join and being told they had to wait for a time until doing so. Better a bird in the hand than two on the tree, and so on.

Any advice on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Don’t release.

Look at other units, and transfer over when you make the switch from NCM to Officer.  Speak with your chain of command and understand what the process is.  Expect to have an interview at the unit you want to join as an officer.

I agree with PickleRick; don't release - but if you do there is no wait time to reapply for the PRes.  The only wait time is for individuals who release (either PRes or RegF) to apply to the RegF.

Be up front with your CoC, tell them that you'd like to do change occupations to an Officer Occupation.  I come from a Navy background so when wanting to join another unit as an officer you'd reach out to either the Ship's Office (Orderly Room) or Coxswain (RSM) - not sure how Army units feel about that - again speak with your CoC to get the ball rolling :-)

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2018, 18:43:59 »
Thank you. I have indeed contacted my COC, and my immediate superior is aware of what's going on.

There are only a few regiments I could possibly hope to join (due to limits inherent in my degree). I'll give them a call and see what happens. It might be too late in the year, seeing as courses tend to happen in the Summer, and they might have already stocked up on cornflake officers beforehand. Cross my fingers.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 18:49:24 by Marchog »

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 15:49:09 »
have you talked to your OR and Adjt?  If not do so, they should be able to provide some assistance on possible units for transfers as Chief HRA's and Adjts do often reach out to their counterparts in other units on these things.

Also curious if this has reached your CO level.  Just because the unit does not currently have an officer position does not mean you have to leave.  If they are happy to have you there as an officer they can broker a deal with an other unit to play home for you and attach you back to your current unit.  This usually entails a friendly discussion between CO's.

"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 19:37:42 »
Thanks for your insight.

I have talked to the adjt, however he made no mention of transfer, other than a vague "it might work", but that was a while ago. The most recent time I talked about it he stated pretty flatly that the unit has no need of officers, but is in desperate need of NCMs. Basically the worst possible case for someone like me.

As far as I know, the only other person who is aware of my designs is my direct superior. I suppose I could ask him to send up my situation "officially", since so far I've only contacted people on a somewhat informal basis. However, he's hesitating on sending this further up, since it would mean I would end up bottom of the list for NCM courses this summer (for entirely understandable reasons).

In addition, the number of units I could possibly hope to join is very low. I contacted one of them directly, but they said they have no positions available. The other is more promising: they told me they'd phone me back. I'm not sure how much the COC could do, assuming it ever even makes it that high. Quite a headache, the whole thing.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 19:43:05 by Marchog »

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2018, 18:38:26 »
I might as well add further updates for future reference, if only as a "case study".

I felt pretty uneasy about the whole thing at the beginning, since it seemed pretty shady to abandon a unit, switch trades, and apply for commission at the same time. Turns out I was entirely correct. The unit I contacted didn't say "no", but they said it was very bad juju to switch trades, and doubly bad juju to do that plus commission. I asked my direct superior to go ahead and send this issue further up the COC. The less a surprise this comes to them, the better, I think.

I have a feeling my life is about to get very, very "interesting", no matter what direction this takes.