Author Topic: Aciss/Sig Op info  (Read 44508 times)

Offline Sturm0vik

• Rate Post
Aciss/Sig Op info
« on: August 28, 2012, 20:14:37 »
  Hi, I am starting my BMQ on Oct 1st for ACISS, and I have a few questions about the trade, and about the Sig Op sub occupation. However, I would first like to point out that I have done alot of research on this already, both on this site and on the Army website, and if you tell me to use the search function, Or anything similar, I will ignore you, because I already did that. I just want to make that clear.

So:
For ACISS, how often are you working in the field? I don't mean in combat or on the frontline, I see alot of people asking that, I just mean outside or on excercise doing hands on type stuff.

What is your day to day life like? I've seen this asked before but I wasn't really satisfied with the answer, sorry to sound picky :p

How does getting into the sub occupations work, and is it difficult to get your choice of one?

For Sig Op, what is the trade like? Is it the same or similar to the original trade before ACISS, or is it really changed. To my understanding, sig op is more of a field operator, and works with radios and such closer to the line then the other aspects of the ACISS trade. But I could be completely wrong.

I'm really curious to what the trade is going to be like, and I'm really looking into trying to get into the sig op aspect of it, thanks for any help you can offer guys!

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Aciss/Sig Op info
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 20:27:48 »
.... if you tell me to use the search function, Or anything similar, I will ignore you...
Use the search function!

Ignore away; it's OK, I'll still sleep nights.   :nod:
Imagine a world where people lacking the first clue about a topic refrained from posting ...

Offline Sturm0vik

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 20:28:52 »
Haha jerk

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 20:30:08 »
Anything ACISS is really going to depend on your unit and what Bde you're posted to. You could be in the field for 2 months straight a couple times a year, or you could barely ever go to the field. Day to day life is similarly varied in that regard, because we're so broad in scope you can literally move into a building across the street in the same base and have totally different hours/schedule/work load.

Sub occ choices are something that isn't super worked out, but this whole ordeal sounded like a great way to force people to be Core (SigOp). My day to day job hasn't changed other than the work load, as ACISS gutted my section and set positions to the wind as they were reclassed as IST.

You'll get a broad overview of everything on your DP1, and will start learning some of the jobs then. Even after CFSCE, you may end up in a unit where you need lots of extra training as there's no possible way to teach every job an ACISS can encounter in the period of time allotted to produce DP1 soldiers. You'd spend 4 years at CFSCE, and no one wants that.  ;D

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 20:32:04 »
Sig op make magic box talk!
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline Sturm0vik

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 21:36:13 »
OK, so do you have any control of which direction your career goes, as far as field to not field goes? If that's the area you were interested in, would you be able to work towards it?

Also, It was my understanding that 'core' was ACISS, but just an advanced generalization of all the trades, but you mention SigOp is the core?

One more thing, I heard before that the parachutist course was available to Sigs, is that true, or completely wrong?

Thanks for the info man! Much appreciated

MikeL

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 21:51:51 »
All trades can go on the Para course,  it just comes down to requirement(do you need the course for the job),  unit,  open slots, etc   You aren't in yet,  don't even worry about B Para.

Yes,  essentially the Sig Op trade is now the ACISS Core.  CST would be LCIS,  LST would be Lineman and IST is a mix of what some Sig Ops and LCIS Techs did.

Offline Ludoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 00:35:21 »
For ACISS, how often are you working in the field? I don't mean in combat or on the frontline, I see alot of people asking that, I just mean outside or on excercise doing hands on type stuff.
It depends where you are posted. In the last twelve months my unit has been to Wainwright for exercise twice (totaling about a month and a half), spent a moth in the sub-arctic and to Dundurn for a couple weeks. The twelve months prior to that we spent almost two months in Wainwright (again on two separate exercises), over a month in Suffield and about a week in Winnipeg fighting the floods. That is all in addition to the time we spend on base practicing ups and downs/ maintaining kit. So there is the opportunity for a lot of hands on activity in the trade.

However, you could just as easily be posted down the road to an ASG and work 8-4 never deploying to the field. Or you may be posted to JSR whose experience may be totally different.

What is your day to day life like? I've seen this asked before but I wasn't really satisfied with the answer, sorry to sound picky :p
Once again it depends where you end up. Generally the day will begin with PT and then move into whatever needs to be done around the unit. Usually getting equipment ready for ex, confirming it works and repairing it after returning from ex. Keeping vehicles serviceable takes up a lot of our time as does cleaning everything between exercises.

Additionally there are are always tasking that need to be filled. Personnel need to be loaned out to support courses as drivers, signals experts or enemy force. Not to mention the the time people will spend on course or teaching courses.

How does getting into the sub occupations work, and is it difficult to get your choice of one?
The unit asks what you want to be, then they place you where they need you. Being switched on and hard working helps but in the end if your unit is full of x sub-oc and short of y sub-oc you are going to end up a y.

For Sig Op, what is the trade like? Is it the same or similar to the original trade before ACISS, or is it really changed. To my understanding, sig op is more of a field operator, and works with radios and such closer to the line then the other aspects of the ACISS trade. But I could be completely wrong.
Sig Op No longer exists, it has been replaced by ACISS core. Core guys are the radio operators but that isn't to say they are the only ones that do so or the only ones that go to the field. In the last exercise we were on my CP consisted of 11 Sigs including 2 ISTs, 1 LST and 1 CST.  And every one of them pulled radio shifts.

We are a networked army, higher leverl CPs are full of networked computers and going forward that connectivity will be pushed to lower and lower levels. Someone needs to set up all those computers and the servers to feed them. Someone needs to run all the line from the servers to the computers. Someone needs to fix all the radio equipment us ACISS core guys break. So there are still a lot of non-core personnel that deploy with us. Those that are not directly part of our detachments are usually a tactical hop or two behind us in their own shop. Either fixing equipment that can't be repaired on the front line, administering servers to push data forward/providing a field help desk or laying all kinds of line to connect everyone to everyone else.

TL;DR: Every unit is different so it is hard to give you any concrete answers. You could end up any sub trade. All the sub trades go to the field and may end up "close to the line."

Offline Sturm0vik

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 13:52:24 »
Alright thanks a load guys, ill let you know if i have any more questions. Looking forward to starting in October!!!!!

Offline Pat.Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 20:49:52 »
Okay so this thread hasn't been touched in a little while but I just want to double check what i think I am seeing. ACISS CORE guys are pretty much the "radio operators" that deploy with the infantry, engineers and so forth? I understand that there will be other guys going out to the field to set up all the other coms equipment. If this is way out to lunch let me know, just trying to get all the info I can!

Thanks in advance,
Patrick S.
Recruiting Centre: Calgary
Regular/ Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade choice 1: Artillery
Applied: May 2, 2015
Further processing:  May 11, 2015
CFRC Contact: May 28, 2015
CFAT: November 25, 2016
Medical: February 22, 2016
Interview: January 25, 2016
Background Check: May 25, 2016
Merit Listed: June 1, 2016
Position offered: June 2, 2016
Swearing in: June 8, 2016
BMQ: Sep 30, 2016 - March 12, 2017

MikeL

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 20:52:15 »
There are ACISS Core, IST, LST, and CST in Combat Arms units and they can all go overseas/deploy.

Using a Infantry Battalion as an example,  ACISS Core, IST, LST and CST can be found in the Signals Platoon.  Core and IST pers can be within a Rifle Company Head Quarters(usually it will 1 Sig, but on tour it can go to 3).  Infantrymen will be the Platoon Signallers, etc.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 21:05:03 by -Skeletor- »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 21:04:49 »
Okay so this thread hasn't been touched in a little while but I just want to double check what i think I am seeing. ACISS CORE guys are pretty much the "radio operators" that deploy with the infantry, engineers and so forth? I understand that there will be other guys going out to the field to set up all the other coms equipment. If this is way out to lunch let me know, just trying to get all the info I can!

Thanks in advance,
Patrick S.

Traditional tactical radio work is done by ACISS (Core) yes, however you'll find that a lot of combat arms units have their own members train as Signallers as our trade will never have the manning to fill every sigs role the Army has.

Offline Pat.Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 21:13:50 »
Okay thanks! Would you be able to give me a breakdown on those? I understand IST=Information System Tech, LST=Line System Tech, and CST=Communication System Tech. Apart from that I can't really find any specific info.

[Edit] I'm pretty sure LST's are the one that run all the lines? (obviously)

Thanks PuckChaser, that helped!

Thanks in advance,
Patrick S

MikeL

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 21:20:05 »
Okay thanks! Would you be able to give me a breakdown on those? I understand IST=Information System Tech, LST=Line System Tech, and CST=Communication System Tech. Apart from that I can't really find any specific info.

Here is a very basic run down of what each one does. Again, this is very basic and is missing a lot.

ACISS Core - radio operators, set up antennas, and radios plus drive CP/RRB vehicles, can do some IT stuff - this is what Sig Ops are now called
ACISS IST - help desk stuff, and do ACISS Core stuff as required. - stuff Sig Ops and some LCIS Techs did
ACISS CST - broken kit comes to them, they will either fix it, or have it sent off for repairs, make coax cables, inspections, etc - this is what LCIS Techs are now called
ACISS LST - run phone lines, climb polls, do inspections and set up various services in garrison - this is what Linemen are now called

I'm sure if you look in the other ACISS threads you can get a more detailed break down.

Your posting will also determine what you will do in each role, as it really can vary depending on the unit you are in.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:48:45 by -Skeletor- »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 21:28:27 »
Your first post was better.  ;)

Offline Pat.Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 21:40:04 »
That is actually exactly what i was looking for! Thanks! As far as postings, I read somewhere that "1 place can go to the field all the time whereas the building across the road works 9-4 mon-fri with no ex's" (this is not an exact quote but a mere generalization of what had been said)

Patrick S.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 22:14:30 »
That is actually exactly what i was looking for! Thanks! As far as postings, I read somewhere that "1 place can go to the field all the time whereas the building across the road works 9-4 mon-fri with no ex's" (this is not an exact quote but a mere generalization of what had been said)

That can be absolutely true, because ACISS is so diverse someone in a field unit working directly across the street at a Base Sig Sqn will have completely different hours.

Offline Pat.Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 22:39:04 »
And that is what makes me kind of nervous about this trade.. I don't want to be stuck "inside" all day never going to the field. Nonetheless the experience itself i'm sure would be worth it.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 07:52:14 »
You'll be going to a HQ and Sig Sqn immediately before and after your DP1 (first trade course). Trust me, you'll get your fair share of field time. Core is where you'll typically stay in field units.

Offline Pat.Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 10:30:18 »
I knew about going before the DP1 but I didn't know about after but i guess it would make sense. I guess as long as I get a the "sub-trade" I want then it would all be okay.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 11:33:21 »
And that's the problem we've run into with amalgamated sub-trades. No one can guarantee you get what you want, unless what you want is Core or CST which are very under manned.

Offline Pat.Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 16:54:55 »
Well core seems to be what I was looking for in the trade, so I think/hope ill be in pretty good shape. I guess all I can do for now is hurry and wait for some phone calls!

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 16:59:34 »
Well core seems to be what I was looking for in the trade, so I think/hope ill be in pretty good shape. I guess all I can do for now is hurry and wait for some phone calls!

You're putting the cart before the horse but looking for information and preparing is never a bad thing.  My question is, "Has your CFRC even contacted you yet?"   ACCIS I believe is an "in demand" occupation, so the onus is now on you to get the ball rolling, you don't want to miss the bus!
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Pat.Sim

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 20:07:54 »
No they haven't, waiting about a week before I give them a call. I just want to make sure I am actually applying for what I "think" I am applying for. I have posted and asked questions in all my trade selections. (if I couldn't find answers already)  ;D

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 20:23:57 »
No they haven't, waiting about a week before I give them a call. I just want to make sure I am actually applying for what I "think" I am applying for. I have posted and asked questions in all my trade selections. (if I couldn't find answers already)  ;D

Call your local CFRC who has your application!

From my view, if you have to ask the question , "I just want to make sure I am actually applying for what I "think" I am applying for."..............

Something is not quite right...
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........