Author Topic: Mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut  (Read 44022 times)

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
Re: Mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 19:31:58 »
Of course the usual suspects are going to milk this tragedy for all its worth, and expect the usual rinse/repeat arguments for gun control (most of which ignore the fact that there has been gun control in place since the 1930's in both Canada and the United States, with very limited effect).

For anyone who argues that seizing firearms will prevent mass murder, contemplate this headline:

Sabotage is behind the Bangladeshi factory blaze that killed 112, probe finds

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/17/sabotage-is-behind-the-bangladeshi-factory-blaze-that-killed-112-probe-finds/

Whatever the answer is, it will have to do with fixig the mind of the killer, not the tools they use.

Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 19:34:40 »
From Red Green's FB page

I don't like to preach but I think we should all pray for the families in Newtown and hug the people we care about. I meet thousands of good honest decent people every year. People are good. Life is good. Don't let the evil win.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Tommy

• If you dont fill out your Claim properly, the Terrorists Win...
  • Rate Post
  • This Space for Rent - Enquire Within
    • iRock
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 03:25:37 »
I feel this is a more appropriate picture.

This should not turn into a gun control debate, nor should it become politicized.

This should be about remembering 20 innocent lives taken too soon in a senseless attack.

There are lots of other threads that can be started or added to for discussion of all the other crap that will swirl around this awful tragedy.
Tommy is retired now so he can say any opinion he darned well pleases so long as it stays within the forum guidelines :D

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 07:25:47 »
This should not turn into a gun control debate, nor should it become politicized.

This should be about remembering 20 innocent lives taken too soon in a senseless attack.

There are lots of other threads that can be started or added to for discussion of all the other crap that will swirl around this awful tragedy.
:nod:
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline muskrat89

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Desert Rat
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 12:56:28 »
Don't let the evil win.

I wrote a column for my Outdoor Site indicating that evil was the enemy here: http://www.fishcamphunthike.com/guns-again/blog-70/
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 12:59:48 »
I feel this is a more appropriate picture.

26 my friend.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 13:01:34 »
Totally agree. 100% heart felt sympathy, I could only imagine if that happened to one of my children (To any parent, its probably one of the most dreadful thoughts), it must be emotionally crushing. May they eventually find peace with it.

As for those that want to make this a platform for an agenda, please don't. This is such a crazy and random act by someone extrememly messed up that a tornado would have been easier to predict.
I am NOT a privileged white man by virtue of being male or white. I am privileged because I am alive and exercising my right to be who I am!

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 13:26:18 »
I wrote a column for my Outdoor Site indicating that evil was the enemy here: http://www.fishcamphunthike.com/guns-again/blog-70/

Excellent article muskrat! :salute:
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 14:04:25 »
Well put!  Not an easy solution, but one that needs considering.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 15:51:19 »
26 my friend.

20 innocent children.
 7 innocent adults.
 1 murder/suicide.
 2 hospitalized in serious condition.

If you really want to get picky.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 16:42:53 »
20 innocent children.
 7 innocent adults.
 1 murder/suicide.
 2 hospitalized in serious condition.

If you really want to get picky.

Thank you for correcting my mistake, the link I clicked on only stated 26.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 16:49:18 by ObedientiaZelum »

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 18:21:06 »
NRA releases first statement since Newtown shootings

The National Rifle Association released it's first statement since the shootings in Newtown, CT on Tuesday. The statement reads as follows:

The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.

Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.

The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.

Details will be released to the media at the appropriate time.

http://www.ksla.com/story/20376031/nra-releases-first-statement-after-newtown-shootings
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 18:40:35 »
NRA releases first statement since Newtown shootings

The National Rifle Association released it's first statement since the shootings in Newtown, CT on Tuesday. The statement reads as follows:

The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters – and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.

Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.

The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.

Details will be released to the media at the appropriate time.

http://www.ksla.com/story/20376031/nra-releases-first-statement-after-newtown-shootings

Almost strange that they are the only organization that has given time to mourn and proper thought to a reasoned response amongst all the knee jerk reaction politicians and special interest groups. ::)
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 18:59:14 »
Almost strange that they are the only organization that has given time to mourn and proper thought to a reasoned response amongst all the knee jerk reaction politicians and special interest groups. ::)

I am sooooo sick of the media feeding frenzy over this crap....enough already!!!  ::)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 19:04:05 »
I am sooooo sick of the media feeding frenzy over this crap....enough already!!!  ::)

You really expected a different response from them?

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 19:12:49 »
No, but the world does not revolve around new town or whatever it is called....
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline estoguy

• Rate Post
  • Aspiring CF Pilot
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 19:22:13 »

Fantastic article and articulates exactly what I've been saying to people - we need to understand WHY these things happen and how we can prevent them.  Knee-jerk reactions aren't the solution.

And I'm glad the NRA is taking to the time to respond to this and didn't come out, to use a pun, "all guns blazing".  The people who are trying to take political advantage of this situation are sickening.
"The future is uncertain and the end is always near"
- Jim Morrison, "Roadhouse Blues"

A little hard, because you want it
A little hard, cause you believe
A little hard, yeah its worth fighting for
A little hard, is why you succeed.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 22:15:38 »
Fantastic article and articulates exactly what I've been saying to people - we need to understand WHY these things happen and how we can prevent them.  Knee-jerk reactions aren't the solution.

And I'm glad the NRA is taking to the time to respond to this and didn't come out, to use a pun, "all guns blazing".  The people who are trying to take political advantage of this situation are sickening.

I hope the NRAs response has nothing to do with gun control, the rights of Americans, the second amendment or anything gun related.

Offline jpjohnsn

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 10:15:30 »
Well, that's an interesting take on the silence, I must admit.  Not one based in reality, but an interesting take nonetheless.  The NRA went incommunicado because anything they could have said in the time immediate following the events would have illicited a backlash.  That politicians who had previously been given an "A" in the NRA's pro-gun vote marking scheme suddenly started saying things like 'nothing's off the table' is evidence of that.

The difference between their response here and their response to Columbine shows that they learned an important lesson and here it is:

One of their best talking points to cut off debate has always been that the immediate aftermath of a tragedy is a time for mourning and not the time to discuss gun control.  It's been a successful strategy - and, I'm sorry, the lefties are continually accused of this when the subect comes up but the conservatives always seem to get a pass when they have rushed in, gums flapping, spouting 2nd Amendment talking points.  This time, someone at the NRA finally clued in that issuing any kind of statement right away when emotions are running that high would hurt them.

Their eventual statement comes as the wave of grief has crested and has begun to subside and was well thought out and subdued.   Don't get me wrong, I despise the NRA, but they have been handling this right so far.
"Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est sempre esse puerum" - "To be ignorant of what occured before you were born is to remain always a child" - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 13:13:48 »
Well, that's an interesting take on the silence, I must admit.  Not one based in reality, but an interesting take nonetheless.  The NRA went incommunicado because anything they could have said in the time immediate following the events would have illicited a backlash.  That politicians who had previously been given an "A" in the NRA's pro-gun vote marking scheme suddenly started saying things like 'nothing's off the table' is evidence of that.

The difference between their response here and their response to Columbine shows that they learned an important lesson and here it is:

One of their best talking points to cut off debate has always been that the immediate aftermath of a tragedy is a time for mourning and not the time to discuss gun control.  It's been a successful strategy - and, I'm sorry, the lefties are continually accused of this when the subect comes up but the conservatives always seem to get a pass when they have rushed in, gums flapping, spouting 2nd Amendment talking points.  This time, someone at the NRA finally clued in that issuing any kind of statement right away when emotions are running that high would hurt them.

Their eventual statement comes as the wave of grief has crested and has begun to subside and was well thought out and subdued.   Don't get me wrong, I despise the NRA, but they have been handling this right so far.

Thanks for your opinion, which is what it is, 'your opinion'. Not much provable fact there.

And an extremely biased one at that, so highly suspect at best and easily discounted.

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline muskrat89

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Desert Rat
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 13:34:18 »
I despise the NRA

I'm a member of the NRA. Do you despise me, jp?
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Offline jpjohnsn

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 13:41:48 »
Thanks for your opinion, which is what it is, 'your opinion'. Not much provable fact there.

And an extremely biased one at that, so highly suspect at best and easily discounted.
Easily discounted, eh?  Fair's fair; your assertion is no more provable than mine and clearly indicated an equal level of bias so sauce for the goose I guess.

I'm not any kind of anti-gun bleeding heart.  As a gun owner and a hunter myself, I still believe groups like the NRA and individuals like Ted Nugent do more harm to the perception of people like me than anything.  And in Canada, the fact that the majority of the people in the country aren't gun owners - or even seen one up close, and have been successfully brainwashed to think guys like me are one bad day from being Kimveer Gill, I don't need those the NRA doing to the firearm debate what Todd Akin did to the birth control debate.  Why they are playing to their base in the USA, they are undermining mine, here in Canada.

"Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est sempre esse puerum" - "To be ignorant of what occured before you were born is to remain always a child" - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 13:48:00 »
Easily discounted, eh?  Fair's fair; your assertion is no more provable than mine and clearly indicated an equal level of bias so sauce for the goose I guess.

I'm not any kind of anti-gun bleeding heart.  As a gun owner and a hunter myself, I still believe groups like the NRA and individuals like Ted Nugent do more harm to the perception of people like me than anything.  And in Canada, the fact that the majority of the people in the country aren't gun owners - or even seen one up close, and have been successfully brainwashed to think guys like me are one bad day from being Kimveer Gill, I don't need those the NRA doing to the firearm debate what Todd Akin did to the birth control debate.  Why they are playing to their base in the USA, they are undermining mine, here in Canada.

Paranoid too.

...and you're right. Mine wasn't an opinion, like yours. Mine was an observation. Thanks for noting the difference.

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Haletown

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2012, 18:58:16 »
Blackfive has a wonderful idea.

http://www.blackfive.net/main/

Offline TwoTonShackle

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2012, 20:50:42 »
Ah the gun control debate, brings out the best in people.

In my opinion this incident should spark more debate about mental health care and the support/lack thereof in our countries.  I need to believe that the gun man suffered from some sort of disorder and that no rational or reasonable person would ever be capable of such a heinous act.  That professionals can more accurately identify warning signs and that the education system and the general populous as a whole can be taught to better recognize suspect behaviour.  Wether this kid had access to guns, knives or the internet to create an IED, I think he would have eventually found a way to hurt others.  So I say don't only look at taking the weapons out of the hands of those who may be deranged enough to use them to harm innocents, but also focus on treating people so they don't want to pick those weapons up in the first place.

i wish for strength, support and the ability to carry on for all those families and friends of the deceased.  I hope that all of the deceased are at peace.