Author Topic: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford  (Read 236373 times)

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Mayor Ford Wins Appeal, Stays on as Mayor
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 23:07:52 »
Noted hotbed of left-wing journalism the Toronto Sun is reporting that a convicted drug dealer broke into the Mayor's house and demanded the mayor pay him money he was owed.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/09/why-a-convicted-drug-dealer-burst-into-rob-fords-home-demanding-money

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 08:27:35 »
Noted hotbed of left-wing journalism the Toronto Sun is reporting that a convicted drug dealer broke into the Mayor's house and demanded the mayor pay him money he was owed.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/09/why-a-convicted-drug-dealer-burst-into-rob-fords-home-demanding-money

The Sun left wing??? ummmmmm I don't think so.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 09:08:17 »
The Sun left wing??? ummmmmm I don't think so.

lol dapaterson was being sarcastic  ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:02:03 by Scott »

Offline Rocky Mountains

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 13:36:01 »
"Crown attorney Lorraine Cavion said MacIntyre’s leg was broken on March 22, 2012 by another inmate."

More Ford good karma?

Offline Inquisitor

• Banned
  • Rate Post
link here http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/08/16/rob-ford-hazel-mccallion-fishing_n_3767711.html?utm_hp_ref=canada#slide=2811169

I normally can stand the guy's style, but lately he's being held more to account than  probably any politician in  the world.

Nice to see him get some good press.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
...but lately he's being held more to account than probably any politician in  the world...

Maybe. But at some point he needs to stop playing the victim and saying everyone is just attacking him for the hell of it. He brings it on himself, puts himself in precarious positions repeatedly, consistently responds inappropriately to media inquiries, and practically begs for negative press. I think the media simply expects him to make a fool of himself these days...

But yes, nice to see a positive report for a change.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 13:17:19 »
http://gawker.com/5978975/the-best-of-torontos-insane-terrible-mayor-rob-ford-an-introduction-for-americans

This isn't a right and left issue, the guy is an idiot and should not be mayor of any city, never mind the biggest city in Canada. It's an embarrassment. This whole revolt against "intellectuals" and "elitists" has to stop. I WANT my politicians to be smart guys. Toronto is facing complex issues and it takes a nuanced approach to be successful. Not knee jerk policies based on what Rob Ford thinks will resonate with the "average" person. It's time for a return to effects-based policy, without window dressing from the right OR the left.

Hear, hear! Since the original post on this thread, this man has stumbled vacantly from one clown-act to the next. Despite what seems to be all sorts of well-meant advice and 50-pound cast-iron hints,  the Mayor apparently believes that Town Jester is part of his job description.  Even Mel Lastman was never like this.

The latest and silliest bit of "bread and circuses" has to be this farcical stunt with Hulk Hogan. Puh-leeeze! ::)

To me, the leader of our nation's biggest city needs to be an intelligent, wordly-wise, capable and dignified leader who commands respect at home and abroad (Toronto is a "world-class" city, right...?), not an overgrown 19 year old at a tailgate party.

We get who we vote for.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 13:23:30 by pbi »
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services pai
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 13:31:27 »
Hear, hear! Since the original post on this thread, this man has stumbled vacantly from one clown-act to the next. Despite what seems to be all sorts of well-meant advice and 50-pound cast-iron hints,  the Mayor apparently believes that Town Jester is part of his job description.  Even Mel Lastman was never like this.

The latest and silliest bit of "bread and circuses" has to be this farcical stunt with Hulk Hogan. Puh-leeeze! ::)

To me, the leader of our nation's biggest city needs to be an intelligent, wordly-wise, capable and dignified leader who commands respect at home and abroad (Toronto is a "world-class" city, right...?), not an overgrown 19 year old at a tailgate party.

We get who we vote for.

.....and enough voted for him to be elected.

And there's a good chance if an election were held tomorrow, he'd be elected again.

Speaking of useless, the guy he replaced was no gem either.
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 13:50:47 »

Speaking of useless, the guy he replaced was no gem either.

Yes-very true. Ford's election is, IMHO, the result of a violent reaction. (Kind of like a rebound romance...)

As usual, I suspect that lots of people didn't vote "for" somebody: they voted "against" Miller who was seen as being too out of touch.

That said, I'm not impressed by this current buffoon act.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 14:50:50 »
How is the mayor of Toronto like the leader of the federal Liberal party?

Rob Ford on pot: "Oh yeah, I won't deny that. I've smoked a lot of it."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/08/28/toronto-rob-ford-admits-smoking-marijuana.html
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Blair could say more about Ford's involvement
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 12:46:20 »
And it would seem he has.  Press conference today, Blair indicates they have a video that is consistant with the media reports of him doing crack cocaine.  I believe this will be the end for him...
Optio

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services pai
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 13:48:30 »
And it would seem he has.  Press conference today, Blair indicates they have a video that is consistant with the media reports of him doing crack cocaine.  I believe this will be the end for him...

How about a link, a transcript or anything else so people can make their own assumptions without relying on your, over the top, innuendo.
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline Privateer

Looking for the bubble.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 13:58:18 »
Rob Ford video showing alleged crack use in police hands

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-video-showing-alleged-crack-use-in-police-hands-1.2303146

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford appears in a video recovered by police during the Project Traveller investigation, police Chief Bill Blair said today after Ford's friend and occasional driver was arrested on an extortion charge.

Blair said a video seized during an investigation contains images of Ford that have been described by media outlets, an apparent reference to an alleged video that shows Ford smoking crack cocaine.

“We have recovered a digital video file, which is consistent with that which had previously been described in various media reports, and that file forms part of the evidence of the charge that we have laid today,” Blair said.

"I think it’s fair to say that the mayor does appear in that video, but I’m not going to get into the detail of what activity is depicted on that video," said Blair, who added that he was disappointed at the contents of the video.

Link has video of press conference.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2013, 14:05:17 »
Rob Ford video showing alleged crack use in police hands

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-video-showing-alleged-crack-use-in-police-hands-1.2303146

Link has video of press conference.

Thanks.

That's how it should have been posted. :salute:

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2013, 14:06:08 »
How about a link, a transcript or anything else so people can make their own assumptions without relying on your, over the top, innuendo.

Sorry was a bit rushed. Didn't mean to imply innuendo about a press conference by the police chief.  My assumption was thinking you watched the news.  I'll fix that for next time to help you out.  My bad.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/10/31/rob-ford-crack-video-the-focus-of-investigation-drug-trafficking-search-warrant-documents-say/

To clarify, I don't think he can survive this.  So yes, I think we're nearing the end of Rob Ford.  We'll see though, he's survived so far. 

Optio

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 14:07:11 »
While Blair confirmed the video exists, he said it does not contain enough evidence to lay charges against Ford.

Wonder what all the anti-Ford types will say now?

Please note, I am not for or against Ford, I just find it hilarious that everyone tries to pin something on him and nothing sticks.  Toronto has its very own Teflon Mayor!   ;D

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 14:12:31 »
Wonder what all the anti-Ford types will say now?

Please note, I am not for or against Ford, I just find it hilarious that everyone tries to pin something on him and nothing sticks.  Toronto has its very own Teflon Mayor!   ;D

And that might be what saves him.  To be honest I think Ford Nation as it is known like him for his policies, keeping taxes low and fiscal prudence.  In the end who cares what he puts in his body if he manages the city properly. 
Optio

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 14:13:27 »
My assumption was thinking you everyone in Canada watched the news everywhere, all the time, when it concerns the Centre of the Universe.  I'll fix that for next time to help you out.  My bad.

TFTFY

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
Re: Love 'im/hate 'im: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford (merged)
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 21:00:26 »
I say Blair has a lot to answer for. He certainly is following in the steps of his predecessor.
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 23:49:51 »
And that might be what saves him.  To be honest I think Ford Nation as it is known like him for his policies, keeping taxes low and fiscal prudence.  In the end who cares what he puts in his body if he manages the city properly.

I don't support people who use hard drugs period.  But I do find hypocritical to the point of nauseating, that the people now (well always) call for him to resign whatever, tended to be vocal supporters of George Smitherman who admitted that he had used "hard drugs" in his life at some point (that was as specific as he got).  And of course being the crack journalists that The Star is they didn't bother probing any further than that.  I guess so long as you are gay, and a member of the liberal party, and live in Rosedale, being an admitted drug user is not an issue for The Star or many residents of Toronto.

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 07:56:48 »
IMHO, this has only a little to do with the question of whether or not Ford allegedly smoked crack or not in that video, despite his lawyer's efforts to turn things in that direction. That part is a very small element. It has everything to do with the conduct of an individual who is supposed to be a leader and an individual in whom the public can reasonably place their trust.

And, BTW, I'm not  gay,  or a member of the liberal party, and I could never afford to live in Rosedale.

A lot of people on this site, on many different threads, spill a lot of bytes of digital ink going over and over again what the traits of good leaders are, how important leadership by example is, how they dislike corruption and misbehaviour "at the top", and how they support the police.  Oh, and oppose drug use and the low lifes who associate with the drug culture. We don't allow Privates to use the excuse that they used drugs "on their own time", do we? Why permit this for a major public figure?

But now, it seems, we are suddenly prepared to make allowances (that you could drive a big black SUV through...) for a person in a very important position of high accountability and responsibility, because maybe we don't like one of the newspapers making allegations against him? Really?

It's interesting to see that the Mayor has even managed to offend those conservative bastions the National Post (I heard the Editor on the radio yesterday) and even that  journal of Ford Nation: The Sun. (Calling up one of its reporters and screaming obscenities at him probably wasn't a good Info Ops move, was it?)

Look back over the whole sad story, all of it, from the beginning, not just this shabby and disgraceful display over the video. If only 50% is true, alarm bells go off. I would not accept this behaviour from a 2Lt. A Mayor is a public figure, 24/7, just like any important public leader. He has no "private life" in which he can go and indulge whatever moral and ethical failings he may have, then come back to work and switch on the "Mr Law and Order/I support the police" track. This isn't demonstrating personal integrity.

Ineptness, immaturity, bullying behaviour, disingenuousness (to be polite), loutishness. Not traits of leadership most of us would recognize. There is a difference between being Mayor of a major metropolis and being a 19 year old swilling beer off the tailgate at a bush party, with your ball cap on backwards.. You need a different set of behaviours.

As for the Chief, good on him. He acted in the public interest, in a political culture which is all too reluctant to hold senior political leaders accountable for what they do or fail to do, be they Left, Right, or Anything.  What we might want to ask ourselves is not why the police released this information to the public, but why the  Mayor's actions may have attracted intense police attention in the first place.

Let's amend the Ontario Municipal Act to make mayoral recall possible, and spare any city ever having to go through this living nightmare again.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 08:03:31 by pbi »

Offline Nemo888

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2013, 09:56:49 »
The crack smoking only exaggerated his poor character to the point it became public. It's almost like he is a satire of everything liberals imagine is wrong with the far right. You couldn't invent a more venal and self serving politician.

Getting so trashed at a military ball he had to be thrown out, grabbing a female candidates a$$ at a party(Sarah Thomson), the racist comments, using municipal resources for fundraising for his football team, overspending campaign finance limits, not recusing himself in council votes that affect him personally, personally asking senior civil servants to approve road and drainage projects adjacent to his families business, trying to get the public land beside his home rezoned and sold to him for a pittance, his crazy driving, multiple police calls for domestic disturbances. Throw him in rehab and cut your losses before he brings the credibility of the right any further down.

Edited to remove unsubstantiated claims.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:36:29 by Scott »

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2013, 10:14:07 »
Tossing him under the bus are we?

No due process, just toss him right?
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2013, 10:16:54 »
The righteous gotta be righteous..... ::)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 11:01:14 »
It has everything to do with the conduct of an individual who is supposed to be a leader and an individual in whom the public can reasonably place their trust.

"Certain recently reported actions of the Mayor" was brought up as a mitigating factor in an arbitration regarding the termination of a Toronto Paramedic. He was fired for his off-duty behavior. No charges were laid.

The Arbitrator upheld the decision of the City of Toronto to terminate because, "Certain jobs require a high level of skill and a high level of trust from both employers and the public. For employees working in those types of positions, it’s possible that off-duty behaviour can call into question that trust, if it demonstrates poor judgment. And if an employer no longer has confidence that an employee has the judgment to perform a job of high skill and responsibility, the result could be dismissal."

I served under nine Mayors. Mayor Ford was elected after I retired.

This is the first time - as far as I can recall - that the behaviour of our Mayor has been used as a mitigating factor during a disciplinary arbitration involving the off-duty behaviour of one of our members.

Edit to add.

Mayor Ford, Major General Richard Rohmer, Honorary Chief of Toronto EMS and Chief Raftis share a laugh at a Toronto Paramedic graduation ceremony at Emergency Services HQ.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 21:58:59 by mariomike »