Author Topic: Infantry Reserves DP1 [MERGED]  (Read 71932 times)

Offline nadspa3

• Rate Post
Infantry Reserves DP1 [MERGED]
« on: February 12, 2013, 12:49:19 »
Hi,
  I am a reservist.  Last summer I completed BMQ-L but due to civilian work commitments I could not complete the DP1 infantry course.  Does anyone know if they will offer the old DP1 infantry or a bridge course this summer 2013?  Or will I force to complete the new DP1 Mod1 and Mod2 course to be a qualified infanteer?  Thanks in Advance
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 18:03:41 by kratz »

Offline JC2213

• Rate Post
Re: Infantry Reserves DP1 [MERGED]
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 19:11:40 »
Hi there,

from what I understand from talking to infanteers on my BMQ, there will be one last round of courses being held this summer before the training plan changes (though this is still speculation), and if you miss it you will have to repeat certain material when doing your DP1. When I heard this the BMQ-L DP1 change was still speculation. Best bet is to talk to your unit though.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 19:20:05 »
The change is not speculative. Reserve infantry no longer do BMQ-L; last summer was the last iteration of that. They now do a two module, two month DP1 infantry.

I'll try to remember to have a look at work tomorrow and confirm whether any of the 'bridge' courses are running this summer. I suspect they are.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline nadspa3

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:28:17 »
Thanks for your responses.  I'm really hoping to do the bridge course, and repeat MOD1.

Offline nadspa3

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 11:31:20 »
I meant to say, "NOT repeat MOD1"

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 11:37:47 »
Bad news for you dude. I just pulled up the course standards. Summer 2012 was the last summer in which the old system was being run. Not being qualified, you'll need to do DP1 Inf from the start, both modules.

It's inaccurate to think of this as a 'repeat', because the new Mod 1 has some material you'll not have done.

DP1 Inf Mod 1 is nearly all the weapons. You'll do C7, C6 GPMG, C9 LMG, M203 40mm grenade launcher, the M72 short range anti armour weapon light, the Carl Gustav 84mm Short Range Anti Armour Weapon Medium, the hand grenade, and you *may* fire 9mm pistol, though that's not mandatory for reserve DP1. So yes, you'll be repeating grenades, C6 and C9- big whoop. More practice is always good with the weapons.

Mod 2 is all the field stuff. Section attacks, recce patrols, defensive, and platoon level stuff as well- raids, ambushes, etc. Again, more practice on the section level basics is a good things. Too little time is spent on this stuff. You will have a better start as a soldier for having gotten more training on these core skills.

So, at least now you know.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline GGunman

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 13:28:21 »
Bad news for you dude. I just pulled up the course standards. Summer 2012 was the last summer in which the old system was being run. Not being qualified, you'll need to do DP1 Inf from the start, both modules.

It's inaccurate to think of this as a 'repeat', because the new Mod 1 has some material you'll not have done.

DP1 Inf Mod 1 is nearly all the weapons. You'll do C7, C6 GPMG, C9 LMG, M203 40mm grenade launcher, the M72 short range anti armour weapon light, the Carl Gustav 84mm Short Range Anti Armour Weapon Medium, the hand grenade, and you *may* fire 9mm pistol, though that's not mandatory for reserve DP1. So yes, you'll be repeating grenades, C6 and C9- big whoop. More practice is always good with the weapons.

Mod 2 is all the field stuff. Section attacks, recce patrols, defensive, and platoon level stuff as well- raids, ambushes, etc. Again, more practice on the section level basics is a good things. Too little time is spent on this stuff. You will have a better start as a soldier for having gotten more training on these core skills.

So, at least now you know.

Based on that, the courses aren't changing at all... I was on the last BMQ-L ever being run for Infantry (it was a legacy course), and it had everything that you just said the DP1 Mod 1 has in it, excluding the pistol.

Actually maybe I learned a couple of the weapons on BIQ, I dunno lol
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 17:31:01 by GGunman »

Offline nadspa3

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 20:11:48 »
Thanks for your replies.  Extra practice is always nice but I only need 203 40mm grenade launcher and the Carl Gustav.  I have had one training year at my unit and with money so tight, does it make sense for me to do 4 weeks of training that I have essentially done for the sake of a one week bridge course?

Offline C.G.R

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 20:16:47 »
Sort of sucks.. I just recently OT'd to infantry, was hoping all I would have to do is the one month of dp1 this summer.
Don't outsmart your common sense.

Offline GD FREAK

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 18:55:20 »
Hey guys.

I'll be on the reserve infantry DP1 in Meaford this summer, and am without a kit-list.  The Class B route card and package i was given gave a link for the kit-list, but the link doesn't work for me or some of my buddies.  If anybody knows what it is can you post it?

Thanks
Modify message

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 21:36:49 »
Once shalt thou posteth thy question, and in one forum only shalt thou posteth it.

Not twice in two different fora, and thrice is completely out of it.

Have you asked anybody in your chain-of-command? That is one of many reasons for their existence.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 23:47:59 by Loachman »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 21:55:38 »
The link is likely DWAN-only as well, are you trying to view it at home?

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 22:19:13 »
You're going to pack everything you took with you on Basic. The only difference is, don't pack all your winter/Arctic gear. Rain gear and stuff for mud is a must though.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 03:38:42 »
You should be given a kit list proactively by your chain of command. If you have not been, then someone is not doing your job. As a recruit nobody expects you to know what you're doing.

Ask your immediate supervisor for a kit list, and explain tactfully that you need it quickly. If they cannot give you a definite answer in a timely fashion, then go to your unit's officer during the day and present yourself respectfully to the Ops NCO who deals with courses, taskings etc, and explain what you don't yet have. If you have engaged your chain of command, gotten nothing, than go directly to ops and they give you crap, they are wrong.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 09:02:44 »
My son recently joined as a MARS ocdt. Although I encouraged him, a while back, to ask for his kit list and joining instructions, it wasn't available... Until such time as it was suddenly too late. He got his paperwork 1 week before leaving - during exam time... Be proactive. If all else fails, use your BMQ kit list.
Chimo!

Offline Callmepumpy

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 10:17:26 »
Hey. After how long is an infantry soldier considered fully trained? On the CAF site "The starting salary for a fully-trained Infantry Soldier is $49,400 per year" So what exactly is fully trained? i've googled it multiple times, and searched this site, but I can't find anything. I'm thinking it's after one year.

Offline Artyman

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 10:39:31 »
Talk to your CFRC. Its your best bet.
Blessed be the lord, my rock, who trains my hand for war, and my fingers for battle.

LightFighter

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 11:55:18 »
OFP/"fully trained" is completion of DP1 Infantry. Your salary would not go up because of completion of this course, it would go up with time in(3 pay incentive levels for Pte). Once you get 3-4 years in, you will be eligible for promotion to Corporal and that would be the first big raise for a NCM.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:00:10 by LightFighter »

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 16:50:15 »
Keep in mind that 'fully trained' is subjective and being used on the recruiting site to mean "occupationally qualified" to something called OFP (Operationally Functional Point). 

However there is much more training and experience to be had by all trades that go beyond the OFP (aka USEFUL in some way, shape or form...). 

:2c:
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 16:09:35 »
Actually, an infanteer is fully trained after he has been in his/her first firefight, applied the lessons learned (Don't shoot up the forest - aim your fire, etc.) and survived.

Before that the infanteer only thinks he/she is fully trained.  ;D

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 16:54:46 »
Hey. After how long is an infantry soldier considered fully trained? On the CAF site "The starting salary for a fully-trained Infantry Soldier is $49,400 per year" So what exactly is fully trained? i've googled it multiple times, and searched this site, but I can't find anything. I'm thinking it's after one year.

Since it appears (to me) that your question is less about how long it takes to fully train an infanteer, but more about when you can start collecting that 49k+ a year, it is easy to calculate.  Divide the 49,400 by 12 which will give the monthly salary of "trained infantry soldier".  Then go to Regular Force NCM Pay Rates and find the monthly pay rate that is closest to that amount.  That will give an indication when you start earning than amount.  While there may be some restrictions connected to qualifications before moving to the next annual pay increment, in most cases it is based solely on time.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 19:55:10 »
Geeze. Nobody told me there would be math involved.  :facepalm:
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 19:58:04 »
When he can snatch the pebble from my hand.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

β€œIn peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 20:06:54 »
Geeze. Nobody told me there would be math involved.  :facepalm:

See.  The studying they did for the CFAT should have put them in good stead.   Guess Not.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 09:28:16 »
Actually, an infanteer is fully trained after he has been in his/her first firefight, applied the lessons learned (Don't shoot up the forest - aim your fire, etc.) and survived.

Before that the infanteer only thinks he/she is fully trained.  ;D

I guess if you apply that to the Navy, it means to be a fully trained Sailor, you need to be in a naval battle, have your ship sunk, survive and apply the lessons learned...  8)

Seriously, a friend once said: "It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one".
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.