Author Topic: Infantry Reserves DP1 [MERGED]  (Read 70506 times)

Offline Pickle Rick

• Rate Post
Re: Infantry Reserves DP1 [MERGED]
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2015, 09:41:41 »
In my first post, I wanted to know an average week of PT for the infantry Primary Reserve course. For example, do they do 10km everyday? Every other day?

You may not have a single 10km run on your DP1. But, of course it will vary by staff and time allocated/available for PT. Expect some running, circuit training and ruck marches.

I assume you won't be doing DP1 until next summer? If that's the case, you have a lot of time to improve your fitness and get your body adjusted to it. Also, I'm guessing you will still belong to your unit's PAT Pl, so they may also do PT with you.

Don't focus solely on running during the year though to prepare for DP1. Ruck marching is also very important. You need to be physically strong and have the stamina to keep going. During the year, do distance runs mixed with sprints, lift weights, do HIT and ruck marching. Lots of good military exercise programs out there you can follow.  You may need to adjust them to your current fitness level but you can build up from there.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:52:19 by LightFighter »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2015, 09:49:02 »

In my first post, I wanted to know an average week of PT for the infantry Primary Reserve course. For example, do they do 10km everyday? Every other day?

Thank you

It's impossible to say Mike. Unless things have changed and there is a PT template for everyone to follow now, courses generally do their own PT plan.  Some PT plans will be geared towards running and cardio, others towards rucksack marches and others will be an unholy mix of every PT idea off the internet an instructor can smash together.

Your best bet is to not build up any expectations or hopes and plan for the worst. Assume you'll run 4 days a week and do a long ruck march once a week.  It's also impossible to give you an accurate answer to the distance. If you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers, it all depends on the staff.

You one saving grace may be that you're only allocated say 50 minutes a day for PT which could include 10 minutes warm up and 10 minutes cool down, you won't go very far in 30 minutes.  There's a lot of classes to cram in during the day and time tables are pretty right.

That said if it was me I'd just do long runs after work  ;)
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline mikegf6

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 11:07:29 »
You may not have a single 10km run on your DP1. But, of course it will vary by staff and time allocated/available for PT. Expect some running, circuit training and ruck marches.

I assume you won't be doing DP1 until next summer? If that's the case, you have a lot of time to improve your fitness and get your body adjusted to it. Also, I'm guessing you will still belong to your unit's PAT Pl, so they may also do PT with you.

Don't focus solely on running during the year though to prepare for DP1. Ruck marching is also very important. You need to be physically strong and have the stamina to keep going. During the year, do distance runs mixed with sprints, lift weights, do HIT and ruck marching. Lots of good military exercise programs out there you can follow.  You may need to adjust them to your current fitness level but you can build up from there.

Thanks for the information. Yes, I will be doing DP1 next summer. My unit told me that I will be doing PT also before parades. I have been running every other day but I have been following the fitness we did in BMQ e.g. Run monday, upper body tuesday, lower body wednesday, (Thursday is ruckmarch but i just run because I am not sure if you can go out in public in FFO with your rucksack full) and abs on friday. Saturaday and sunday are rest days.

Is it taboo to go out in FFO an train for the ruck marches?

It's impossible to say Mike. Unless things have changed and there is a PT template for everyone to follow now, courses generally do their own PT plan.  Some PT plans will be geared towards running and cardio, others towards rucksack marches and others will be an unholy mix of every PT idea off the internet an instructor can smash together.

Your best bet is to not build up any expectations or hopes and plan for the worst. Assume you'll run 4 days a week and do a long ruck march once a week.  It's also impossible to give you an accurate answer to the distance. If you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers, it all depends on the staff.

You one saving grace may be that you're only allocated say 50 minutes a day for PT which could include 10 minutes warm up and 10 minutes cool down, you won't go very far in 30 minutes.  There's a lot of classes to cram in during the day and time tables are pretty right.

That said if it was me I'd just do long runs after work  ;)

Now that you mention the schedule, the classes and the tight schedules (especially in reserves), 30 minutes is not enough to run 10km. I remember in my BMQ, we ran 5km and had very little time for inspection and breakfast. I won't build up my expectations but I will definitely continue to run to a goal of 10km and workout.

Apparently that 13km ruck march is insane!  :facepalm: 

Thanks for the information though, really appreciate it!

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2015, 11:42:59 »
Is it taboo to go out in FFO an train for the ruck marches?

Apparently that 13km ruck march is insane! 

While technically you CAN, most will advise against it (I've never seen the benefit of wearing everything simultaniously - you'll do enough of that anyway).  I'd toss it all on to see how to get it to fit comfortably a few times, as during the course there will be many times when you will need to get it on quickly and ready to move on short notice. 

13km only sounds insane til you do it..... like most things in the Army  >:D
Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)

Offline mikegf6

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2015, 22:46:59 »
While technically you CAN, most will advise against it (I've never seen the benefit of wearing everything simultaniously - you'll do enough of that anyway).  I'd toss it all on to see how to get it to fit comfortably a few times, as during the course there will be many times when you will need to get it on quickly and ready to move on short notice. 

13km only sounds insane til you do it..... like most things in the Army  >:D

I guess your right, maybe I can just throw on PT clothes and just fill my ruck and go out like that!  8)

Offline mikegf6

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2015, 14:04:20 »
Hey,

I tried finding info on this but could not. I have finished BMQ last summer and am now "training" with my unit. Whenever people ask me when I am finishing my DP1, I say I think it should be next summer (Because I have not been told).

My question is, is there any possible way of finishing my DP1 in the winter? Are there any winter courses that run for infantry/SQ in the reserves? or will I truly have to wait all the way till next summer?

Any help, would be much appreciated!

Offline Lean-N-Supreme

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2015, 14:13:55 »
What brigade are you in? Been hearing rumors about a part time Infantry DP1 Mod 1 being run in Spring 2016 in 39 CBG.

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2015, 14:15:57 »
41 Brigade has no DP1 infantry courses planned this winter. Summer 2016 is when you'll probably see them through us.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline mikegf6

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2015, 15:36:59 »
I am in 32 Brigade

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2015, 14:29:39 »
It is possible to do DP 1 Mod 1 during the winter, however Mod 2 will most likely occur during the summer.

Offline NSRecruit

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2015, 21:40:01 »
Not to bump the thread by 36 Brigade currently has a part time winter Infantry DP1 Mod 2 running.

Not sure how the results will be but they are currently having some dedicated weekends along with some weekends when they tag along with the unit to complete necessary training. I believe they are making use of some of the longer holiday weekends for the longer field portions of the course.

Offline Goomba

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2015, 12:55:01 »
Not sure how applicable this is to Combat Arms, but I know 33 CBG Battle School has run winter BMQ-L (formerly SQ) courses on the weekend in the past. That said, I'm unsure if they're running one this year.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services pai
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2015, 14:58:58 »
Not to bump the thread by 36 Brigade currently has a part time winter Infantry DP1 Mod 2 running.

Not sure how the results will be but they are currently having some dedicated weekends along with some weekends when they tag along with the unit to complete necessary training. I believe they are making use of some of the longer holiday weekends for the longer field portions of the course.

Do they have the proper equipment, like mukluks, to run the outdoor portions?
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline NSRecruit

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2015, 15:47:23 »
Do they have the proper equipment, like mukluks, to run the outdoor portions?
Yes, as all members are part of the unit they are just ensuring winter kit issue.

Fun story to expand is that apparently the course as running wasn't division approved or somewhat, getting this second hand, and the division complained because it was running at a unit level and told them to stop. For whatever reason though the course is still running at this time until money runs out as of last I heard.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services pai
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2015, 03:21:22 »
Yes, as all members are part of the unit they are just ensuring winter kit issue.

Fun story to expand is that apparently the course as running wasn't division approved or somewhat, getting this second hand, and the division complained because it was running at a unit level and told them to stop. For whatever reason though the course is still running at this time until money runs out as of last I heard.

Where did the Unit get the mukluks and snowshoes?
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline NSRecruit

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2015, 05:35:04 »
Unaware of if there are enough snowshoes as us trained guys haven't had them issued yet. But I would think yes as most are signed up for the upcoming BWW.

As for mukluks I'm imagining those came from the RQ otherwise I do not know.

Offline Poacher434

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2015, 19:51:28 »
For the past years 32 CBG Battleschool has only run DP1 during the summer at 4Div TC Meaford. Mod 1 (of 2) can be available on a parttime basis but it is run as a high school co-op. You will be waiting till the summer.
To satisfy any curiosity you will not be moved to any CBG for the purpose of doing a DP1 in the winter if there are ones available, and you will not be randomely thrown onto a co-op to complete the mod 1.

Offline InfantryRes

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2016, 12:38:59 »
I know being in the infantry opens doors to a huge amount of courses you can take, my question is what courses can a infantry reservist take? Are they able to take all the same courses as the reg force infantry soldiers or are they only able to take certain courses as they become available?
Also, i was talking to someone that just got through basic training and they said "Have fun with fire picket" Wouldn't tell me what it was just that it sucked, Can anyone tell me what fire picket is?

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2016, 13:24:15 »
Welcome to Army.ca

Before posting any more questions that have been asked and answered before (sometimes many times), please spend some time reading through pertinent older threads and using the Search Function.

Should you manage to come up with a unique question after doing a little homework on your own, we will be happy to help.

Locked.

Offline mikegf6

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2016, 12:04:17 »
I had a question, which I am unable to find through the forums. I found similar ones in regards to failure rates. However I want to know about failing your Dp1 course.

So, what is the most likely conclusion if you fail your Dp1? I know that you may get recoursed. But what if you fail that too? Would you be deemed unfit for the trade and released from the forces or would you get Occupationwl transfer?

Also, if one were to fail, what would be a good reason to fail someone, even if that did good on there tests such as PWT 3? For example. Could they fail you if you couldn't run that ten kilometres for PT but you tried even though you could do that 13km ruck march?

How does this work?

Thank you

P.S. I am done BMQ already

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2016, 12:14:44 »
Depending on your unit you could
-be given a 3rd chance
-possibly released
-offered a transfer to a trade that may be more suitable to you (but your unit would need to employ those trades and have space open)

If you've already done your BMQ then you've been explained the reasons why you would fail; failing to meet the standard.   
Running 10KMs isn't a a pass/fail test for graduating DP1 however if you're an *** about falling out then you could be written up for a bad attitude and that can start you on the path out the door.

You'll discover some people want to quit but they're afraid to. Instead they injure themselves on purpose, try to fake an injury or try and fail themselves on purpose to let the army do the dirty work and kick them out.  It's easier just to quit. Not saying that's you, just speaking in general.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2016, 12:21:16 »
For future reference, perhaps this will be merged with a similar discussion you started,

Infantry course

Perhaps. 

Perhaps mikegj6 has legitimate problems.  :dunno:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2016, 12:25:46 »
-offered a transfer to a trade that may be more suitable to you (but your unit would need to employ those trades and have space open)

If you've already done your BMQ then you've been explained the reasons why you would fail; failing to meet the standard.   

As mikegf6 is a RESERVIST, the option to change to another Trade MAY NOT be an option at all.  Release as a Training Failure may be the only option open after failing a course 'three times'.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2016, 12:36:26 »

As mikegf6 is a RESERVIST, the option to change to another Trade MAY NOT be an option at all. 

Which is why I said

but your unit would need to employ those trades and have space open

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2016, 13:00:13 »
Have you been to your doctor?

You seem more worried about running rather than passing the content in the course.

Even if you aren't in shape, you have at least 3 months until the next dp 1 starts.

Time to get running.

Tons of plans here is a couch -> 5k. No idea where you are. I'd hope that you can already run 5k but if not here you go.