Author Topic: Fire-based EMS  (Read 30677 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Fire-based EMS
« on: June 25, 2013, 18:01:30 »
TORONTO, June 26, 2013 /CNW/ - The Toronto Paramedic Association strongly supports the majority of recommendations concerning EMS in the 'City of Toronto/Pomax report on Toronto EMS and Fire Services' released on June 25, 2013. The majority of findings are in line with what the Toronto Paramedic Association has been advocating for years.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1190393/toronto-paramedic-association-pleased-with-pomax-consultants-report-on-toronto-ems-fire-services-encourages-city-council-to-rapidly-accept-and-impleme

City of Toronto/Pomax report recommendations:

1) "Do not consolidate TFS and TEMS. Consolidation of TFS and TEMS is not well suited for Toronto given the maturity of its fire and paramedic services."

2. "Do not consider implementing a firefighter-paramedic model of pre-hospital emergency medical care in either an organizationally consolidated entity or in the existing separate organizational design."

No Johnny and Roy for Toronto.

3. "There has been a 28% increase in emergency call demand for paramedics over the last ten years."

4. "Implement dynamic staging and use predictive modeling and pre-emptive traffic controls to better predict demand and more effectively deploy fire resources and apparatus."

I don't imagine Dynamic Staging will be a popular recommendation with the Firefighters, especially since they switched to the 24-hour tour city-wide.

5. "Demand for fire response has remained flat or declined over the last ten years and the number of actual fires in Toronto has declined even though the population has increased."

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:56:58 by mariomike »

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Fire-based EMS
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:40:42 »
Mariomike: What are your views on other cases (Canadian and US) where the two services have been combined?

I'm aware of two in Canada: Calgary attempted it while I was stationed there in the 1990's, but it was very unpopular with both sides and eventually it failed. (Don't know the status today: I think they're still separate).

Winnipeg has had a "Fire-Paramedic Service" for some time now (it existed when I lived there 2002-2005). It seemed to work (more or less), but I got the impression that there may still have been some friction and unhappiness.

In the US, the provision of paramedic services by large, well-established city FDs is quite common. Sometimes the FD is the sole provider of public EMS, sometimes there are other providers, but in any case this practice isn't really news in the US.

It actually might be a wise move by FDs with an eye on the future, since the number of calls to actually fight fires seems to be dropping in most places (except Detroit, maybe...). When I was a VFF in suburban Virginia (just outside DC) I would say that 60-70% of our runs were non-fire.

Cheers
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 21:28:49 »
Pbi, this is the report. "A Service and Organizational Study of Toronto's Emergency Medical Services and Fire Services":
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-59903.pdf

It's a lot of reading, but it discusses much of the above.

Cheers  :)

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 07:27:01 »
Aaaaah! 320 pages!!!! You're killing me!!

OK...I will have a look and get back to you.

Cheers
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:02:56 »
I think the Winnipeg FireMedic example is still one of growing pains, least from what I hear rumbling online and through some acquaintances.

Some great examples would be Red Deer and Ft. McMurray - both medium sized cities who have had established combined services for some time now. I have good friends serving, or who have served, with both and they say it works - save for the arguments and short straw draws over who has to run on the medic unit for the shift >:D

I do not, however, see it working in a place such as Nova Scotia where the paramedic service is "nationalized" with a strong component of enhanced FA services rendered by fire. One of the issues I have seen with the separation of services (including dispatch) is that sometimes through stage shifts the medics responding do not know the area and there is a time loss when either they, or their dispatch, do not push the button to have fire co-respond. But that's nothing that better comms on both sides hasn't fixed (until next time)

My experience with EHSNS has been pretty much positive. I dealt with them as a fire officer overseeing MFRs (mine lapsed and I have zero interest in regaining that cert) and found them to be nothing but positive in dealing with issues such as above, training sessions, debriefs, etc. I also found that when we lucked out with crews we knew we suffered zero sense of overlap and everyone worked with one another.

I digress. Personally I don't promote or decry the idea. I think it works who it works for and those it isn't working for, either model, are the ones who look for a change. It is not something simply for the good idea fairy, that is for certain. Neither is it for the lobbyists looking solely to save positions in X service.
There are benefits and drawbacks to each model and what they are largely depend on your area.

Just my opinion.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:40:34 »
OK: I skimmed the report, but read the Fire-EMS model part pretty thoroughly. The conclusions I find interesting are:

-Alberta tried it but is moving away from it quickly;

-Winnipeg has it, but it tgook 15 years to sort out so that it worked well;

-there isn't any conclusive evidence that a combined model is necessarily better, or even cheaper than an effective FD and an effective EMS working in a coordinated and cooperative way. It might be a good idea if one (or the other) service has a particular weakness, but otherwise it migt just be change for change's sake.

Maybe this is like that idea that was popular in the 1950s in the US and parts of Canada (Esquimalt, Fort Garry, etc) of a combined Fire-Police service. This was touted as being more "efficient" and, of course cheaper (Amazing how some of the worst ideas have the characteristic of supposedly saving money...). As far a I know it has largely vanished, although Esquimalt was still doing it when I was stationed there in 1983-86.

Cheers

DJB

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:39 »
-there isn't any conclusive evidence that a combined model is necessarily better, or even cheaper than an effective FD and an effective EMS working in a coordinated and cooperative way. It might be a good idea if one (or the other) service has a particular weakness, but otherwise it migt just be change for change's sake.

This is about where I stand on the whole thing.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 11:51:09 »
Some great examples would be Red Deer and Ft. McMurray - both medium sized cities who have had established combined services for some time now. I have good friends serving, or who have served, with both and they say it works - save for the arguments and short straw draws over who has to run on the medic unit for the shift >:D

Scott, that would not be a concern in Toronto. 

"TFS does not require a PCP level of training, and instead, relies upon an appropriate, but less qualified level, similar to an emergency medical responder (EMR)."

"...the training does not provide eligibility to practice or work in a patient care capacity in a land ambulance service in the Province of Ontario."

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 11:54:18 »
Mike, I know. I was referring to buddies of mine relating their own experiences in places outside of TO.

Be nice for no reason.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 10:19:31 »
In the US, the provision of paramedic services by large, well-established city FDs is quite common. Sometimes the FD is the sole provider of public EMS, sometimes there are other providers, but in any case this practice isn't really news in the US.

It actually might be a wise move by FDs with an eye on the future, since the number of calls to actually fight fires seems to be dropping in most places (except Detroit, maybe...). When I was a VFF in suburban Virginia (just outside DC) I would say that 60-70% of our runs were non-fire.

Cheers

That's what their General President was saying ten years ago.

"Our next frontier is Canada.":
http://www.iaff.org/03News/061203has.html

"But as one of this union's most fundamental responsibilities, our involvement in EMS has also helped us create and save jobs for our members."

The long awaited City of Toronto/Pomax report recommendations one month ago are clear on that subject.

In yesterday's paper.

"Toronto firefighters question changes to 911 protocol regarding medical calls
Toronto firefighters are worried that patient safety is at risk after they were removed from dozens of urgent medical calls.":
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/08/02/toronto_firefighters_question_changes_to_911_protocol_regarding_medical_calls.html

"Based on the data, the medical experts recommended that firefighters only be dispatched to types of urgent medical calls where they intervened (or could have intervened) in at least one per cent of cases, a threshold Schwartz called “medically quite reasonable and ethical.”

Dr. Brian Schwartz is co-chair of the city's tiered response committee.

"John MacLachlan, executive officer of the EMS committee for the union that represents Toronto firefighters, was concerned about the changes, and asked area captains to keep him abreast of any medical calls where they believed that they had not been dispatched soon enough — or at all."

Offline 241

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 11:01:04 »
Red Deer Alberta currently has fire-medics and from what I have heard it is very practical and convenient as it means there are always extra bodies available at the scene, they are all trained the same of course. With Alberta Health Services apparently taking over all ambulance service that will end soon.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 12:56:10 »
Red Deer Alberta currently has fire-medics and from what I have heard it is very practical and convenient as it means there are always extra bodies available at the scene, they are all trained the same of course. With Alberta Health Services apparently taking over all ambulance service that will end soon.

That may be very practical and convenient ( or used to be ) in Alberta, but not here.

"New ( TFS ) recruits therefore receive a total of approximately 120 hours of EMR training."

That can be compared to PCP training on page 115: "Skills and Knowledge Guide for Pre-hospital Skills in Ontario"
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-59903.pdf

The cost - assuming it was even possible - of upgrading Toronto's 3,100 full-time firefighters to just a PCP level would be enormous.

To put just one PCP into each of the city's 82 firehouses would require training 411 "fire-medics".

"Therefore, the estimate to train 411 firefighters to the PCP level would be approximately $6.16 million for tuition, books, and other requirements, plus a direct replacement wage cost of $67.11 million (411 complement, minus 100 [current trained EMCA complement *] multiplied by $107,896). This calculation assumes a 100 percent success rate in both the program and the provincial certification examination, which has not been the actual experience. Prudence would suggest at least a 10 percent remediation rate, further increasing the cost."

They would be assigned to fire trucks, not ambulances. Patients would not be arriving at hospitals any sooner than they do now.

Because there are no "fire-medics" at this time, the salary for their new job classification, if it could not be negotiated, would have to be decided by an arbitrator.

*The estimated 100 EMCAs currently employed by TFS may already be certified which might reduce the costs of training or the duration of the tuition option.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 13:47:41 by mariomike »

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 10:06:47 »

True, but from what I understand, as mariomike says, AB is abandoning that system.

Offline 241

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 11:22:40 »
True, but from what I understand, as mariomike says, AB is abandoning that system.

Yeah, as I stated in the last sentence.

That may be very practical and convenient ( or used to be ) in Alberta, but not here.

"New ( TFS ) recruits therefore receive a total of approximately 120 hours of EMR training."

That can be compared to PCP training on page 115: "Skills and Knowledge Guide for Pre-hospital Skills in Ontario

Sorry didn't read any of the links, was just responding to earlier where pbi had mentioned that there were 2 cities that were doing this and was just mentioning that there were at least 3.

Offline HTFUAlberta

• Rate Post
  • Standing on the shoulders of giants....
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 17:40:14 »
I'm currently working for an integrated Fire/EMS system in one of the cities adjacent to Edmonton and can offer up my $0.02.

For smaller sized cities the integrated Fire/EMS system seems to work really well. The IAFF put out a really interesting  position paper on integrated services which shows a solid argument http://www.iaff.org/tech/PDF/FB%20EMS%20Whitepaper%20FINAL%20July%205%202007%20.pdf

In the smaller sized cities outside of Calgary and Edmonton integrated services are generally the norm and seem to work very effectively. Larger cities would have way bigger challenges compared to smaller ones implementing and integrated service. IMHO it seems to work really well for our city and we provide great value and high service. After all most fire services seem to have a high ratio of medical calls regardless. We're all certified to at least PCP level so we're able to start up a lot of interventions and treatments before a transport crew arrives. It's always funny to see an out of town crew show up and we (the knuckle dragging firefighters) already have a pt. tubed with a line.

As far as AHS goes we're still waiting on our contract after 17 months of negotiations. We just dropped $500,000 on new medics and the contract will be for 7 years so it's looking like we're still getting our ambulances (which are generally sent outside of our are due to roving deployment, hence the outside crews coming in to cover our red alerts). AHS is having a lot of growing pains as far as the provincial EMS roll out and I'm of the opinion that there is still a long way to go before fire/ems systems in Alberta get split up. With that being said the AHS EMS system has some great advantages too (don't want to sound negative) but it is costing more $$$ than they ever expected which is no suprise.

We don't have enough units to begin with and when your doing calls from CFB Edmonton, then downtown then to a nearby reserve in one day you know that your service is overstretched.

Like I said before only my $0.02
Don't just stand there... Panic!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 11:02:45 »
We're all certified to at least PCP level so we're able to start up a lot of interventions and treatments before a transport crew arrives.

TFS does not require a PCP level of training, and instead, relies upon an appropriate, but less qualified level, similar to an emergency medical responder (EMR).

The cost of training their 3,100 firefighters to a PCP level would be enormous, if not impossible. As "fire-medics" ( no such job classification exists now ), they would also receive a salary increase. 

None of this expense would put any more ambulances on the street.

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 12:09:39 »
Toronto is not the centre of the universe. What works/does not work there might not work/not work somewhere else.

I did not gather that the post made by HTFU was reasoning towards TFS moving in this fashion. Rather, I gathered that he was stating his experience from a combined service in Alberta - one of the talking points here.

Be nice for no reason.

Offline HTFUAlberta

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 12:23:24 »
I agree 110% 3,100 guys and gals to retrain would be an impossible challenge. I know when we went integrated (which I wasn't around for) all new hires had to have a PCP ticket to come on. A lot of other services in AB hire PCP/ACP and train them to the 1001 standard. As someone who started out Fire I have to say its easier to put a fit, willing PCP/ACP through a 4 month 1001 course than going the other way around. Now that we are so overwhelmed with EMS calls we are using ALS pumps to respond to all calls coded Charlie or higher. Once we arrive on scene we start treatment and assist the transport crew. On some bigger calls like a big trauma or code we will actually hop in the back and drive to the hospital with the transporting crew!

A big service like Toronto couldn't make this practical but for the small to medium sized cities it seems quite doable. Back in the late 80s early 90s a lot of fire services in AB saw that going dual service was good value for money. I'm not in a position to speculate on what a big city like Hogtown should do but I know that it always boils down to how much (or in this case little) $$$ there is to go around.

As the old adage goes at the end of the day the doors go up, the truck rolls out and hopefully everybody goes home!

Or you can come out to AB and come swimming in the money pool! Leduc just recently settled at $92,000 for first class FF, Strathcona salary matches and Fort McMurray issues you an oil sand size dumpy truck to drive your pay checks home! :o

But in all seriousness I know that the days of Johnny and Roy won't appear in TO anytime soon. In the meantime keep your head down, good luck and stay safe.

Regards, HTFU

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 12:31:43 »
I agree 110% 3,100 guys and gals to retrain would be an impossible challenge. I know when we went integrated (which I wasn't around for) all new hires had to have a PCP ticket to come on. A lot of other services in AB hire PCP/ACP and train them to the 1001 standard. As someone who started out Fire I have to say its easier to put a fit, willing PCP/ACP through a 4 month 1001 course than going the other way around. 

This!

Oilsands FDs seem to see the writing on the wall. Either come in as a trained medic or nurse THEN go through fire, or come with both sides. DO NOT apply as a firefighter without the med side. I have always agreed with this rationale for those departments wishing to do so. Because it makes sense.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline HTFUAlberta

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 12:37:50 »
Toronto is not the centre of the universe. What works/does not work there might not work/not work somewhere else.

I did not gather that the post made by HTFU was reasoning towards TFS moving in this fashion. Rather, I gathered that he was stating his experience from a combined service in Alberta - one of the talking points here.

You can make it work in small to medium cities. I don't think it's doable for T.O. An oil tanker can't be combined with a cargo ship while sailing through rough seas right? Everybody has the best intentions on the floor but as you move up the totem pole there's less interest in playing together in the sand box. Edmonton tried back in the 90's and it fell apart over a $5,00,000 supplemental pension deal that would have to be offered to the oncoming EMS division. Amongst other things mind you. And the Fire/EMS split there has been entrenched ever since.

That old line if it ain't broke don't fix it may apply here. And in response to the Margaret Wente article: Emergency Services are like insurance. Don't ask if you can afford it, ask if you can afford NOT to!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 23:33:56 »
But in all seriousness I know that the days of Johnny and Roy won't appear in TO anytime soon.

The City decided:

1) "Do not consolidate TFS and TEMS."

2) "Do not consider implementing a firefighter-paramedic model of pre-hospital emergency medical care in either an organizationally consolidated entity or in the existing separate organizational design."

3) "Increase TEMS response capacity by 223,451 staffed vehicle hours to meet demand."

4) "Continue the Community Paramedicine program as part of a strategy to provide the most appropriate patient treatment and reduce emergency medical response call volume demand."

Offline Code5

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 19:36:22 »
I agree 110% 3,100 guys and gals to retrain would be an impossible challenge. I know when we went integrated (which I wasn't around for) all new hires had to have a PCP ticket to come on. A lot of other services in AB hire PCP/ACP and train them to the 1001 standard. As someone who started out Fire I have to say its easier to put a fit, willing PCP/ACP through a 4 month 1001 course than going the other way around. Now that we are so overwhelmed with EMS calls we are using ALS pumps to respond to all calls coded Charlie or higher. Once we arrive on scene we start treatment and assist the transport crew. On some bigger calls like a big trauma or code we will actually hop in the back and drive to the hospital with the transporting crew!

A big service like Toronto couldn't make this practical but for the small to medium sized cities it seems quite doable. Back in the late 80s early 90s a lot of fire services in AB saw that going dual service was good value for money. I'm not in a position to speculate on what a big city like Hogtown should do but I know that it always boils down to how much (or in this case little) $$$ there is to go around.

As the old adage goes at the end of the day the doors go up, the truck rolls out and hopefully everybody goes home!

Or you can come out to AB and come swimming in the money pool! Leduc just recently settled at $92,000 for first class FF, Strathcona salary matches and Fort McMurray issues you an oil sand size dumpy truck to drive your pay checks home! :o

But in all seriousness I know that the days of Johnny and Roy won't appear in TO anytime soon. In the meantime keep your head down, good luck and stay safe.

Regards, HTFU

The two bolded lines above are exactly the reason why fire based EMS doesn't make sense.  It is a massive waste of resources to send a pumper with 4 or 5 firefighters to a medical call, each of which are earning nearly 100k a year.  If you shift that money to EMS it's far more efficient.  For that one pumper you could get 2 transports and possibly a response unit. 

Also what happens when there (albeit rare) fire, what happens to medical response times?  What calls would take priority?  Would an ALS pumper be diverted from a paediatric VSA for a smoke condition call?  I really, REALLY hope that it wouldn't but I suspect that it would. 

Municipalities need to get away from the mindset that fire needs to have as many resources as they current have.  The simple question is, if fire is having such great difficulty making use of their man hours, then why do they have so many man hours to begin with? 

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 21:22:07 »
The simple question is, if fire is having such great difficulty making use of their man hours, then why do they have so many man hours to begin with?

Unions, and our fire prevention methods have moved into the 21st century in most cities.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 19:35:37 »
The two bolded lines above are exactly the reason why fire based EMS doesn't make sense.  It is a massive waste of resources to send a pumper with 4 or 5 firefighters to a medical call, each of which are earning nearly 100k a year.  If you shift that money to EMS it's far more efficient.  For that one pumper you could get 2 transports and possibly a response unit. 

This came out two days ago on that subject.

"As ‘emergency’ changes its meaning, some critics are arguing it’s time to revisit a century-old system. Is there such a thing as too many heroes?":
http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2013/09/07/plenty-firefighters-but-where-are-fires/isCPrIPauX078UKHdixu0K/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

"Whether or not this shift in purpose is a good thing has lately been the subject of intense debate in Toronto, where a third-party review of the fire department in 2012 led the city to stop dispatching firefighters to 40-some types of medical emergencies that they used to respond to alongside ambulances. While firefighters there argue that the move has jeopardized people’s safety, EMS workers contend that there are only a handful of situations when the firefighters’ presence actually helps victims."

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 13:24:52 »
Update.

Fraser Institute
May 7, 2015
"Number of firefighters in Ontario balloons while number of fires drops dramatically"
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/research-news/news/news-releases/Number-of-firefighters-in-Ontario-balloons-while-number-of-fires-drops-dramatically/

"from 1997 to 2012, the number of reported fires in Ontario fell by 41.4 per cent while the number of firefighters increased by 36.3 per cent."

Globe and Mail  May 19, 2015
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/why-firefighters-are-underworked-and-overpaid/article24459593/

"Municipalities that resist the union’s demands can go to arbitration. But they virtually never win. Arbitrators simply hand the union whatever the last guys got. “When the municipalities lose 100 to zero, there’s something wrong,” the mayor argues. “The arbitration system has to change.”

"In big cities, only a small number of the calls to the fire service are for actual fires. (In Toronto, only 9.9 per cent of calls to the fire service in 2013 were about fires; in Calgary it was just 3.4 per cent.)"

‘Fire-Medic’ proposal
Star Jul 07 2015
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/07/07/fire-medic-proposal-pits-firefighters-against-paramedics.html

"According to van Pelt, 20 hours of training is not enough to equip firefighters with the skills they need to make life-saving decisions."

I've been retired for over six years, so operational decisions no longer affect me.  But, as a civilian who may need help one day,  Paramedics are worth the investment ( in my opinion ).
To apply, candidates must first must graduate the mandatory two-year Paramedic Diploma program, followed by 500 hours of on-the-job training. If hired, for the rest of their career they must recertify their skills annually.

That is just for PCP. ACP involves more training. As does HUSAR, Marine SAR, Emergency Task Force (ETF - Tactical ), PSU, ESU-MPU, CBRNE, CCTU, etc. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 14:36:44 by mariomike »

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 19:12:25 »
The Fraser Institute report has been debunked as using incorrect data on the actual number of firefighters.

Margaret Wente only seems to post articles like those in election years. Never mind her journalistic credibility is junk anyways.

*Retracted*

Just my 2c.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 21:57:53 by Towards_the_gap »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 19:38:46 »
As for the Fire-Medic proposal, it's a shame no one has asked the base hospitals or MOHLTC for comment. Not surprisingly, they are all behind it.

That's interesting. Would you mind sharing any ( non Firefighter union or Paramedic union ) sources you may have that support "fire-medics" in Ontario? I have never seen any ( except from the Firefighter union ). But, would like to read them, if they exist.

If you don't mind me asking, are you now in the firefighters union? I'm no longer a member of any union. My opinions are ( now ) only those of a potential future patient of the "fire-medics".

"But as one of this union's most fundamental responsibilities, our involvement in EMS has also helped us create and save jobs for our members."

"Most people expect to need EMS some time in their lives while they don't necessarily expect their homes to catch fire. Local municipal officials know the public criticism and fallout from fire department cuts will be much more severe when EMS is involved in the equation. And they know that EMS operations certainly increase the clout of our local unions in their campaigns to fight those cuts."

"Our next frontier is Canada. That is why we have more than three dozen of our Canadian brothers and sisters here at this conference. Although most of Canada is still locked into a third-service EMS system with workers represented by Canada's largest public employee union, our Winnipeg local's success in integrating EMS into its fire department has shown that fire-based EMS can and, if I have my way, will work in Canada, too."
http://www.iaff.org/03News/061203has.html

Remarks by International Association of Firefighters ( IAFF ) General President Harold A. Schaitberger
June 12, 2003
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 20:48:47 by mariomike »

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 21:57:28 »
mariomike - I retracted my statement about the MOHLTC/Base Hospitals being on board. It was told to me secondhand by someone and when called out by you, couldn't find any statements (from a third party) that confirmed it.

First off, yes I am in the IAFF/OPFFA, HOWEVER.... I pay the dues, and that is it. I'm not a big fan of labour organisations, and to be quite honest, I think the OPFFA has picked the wrong fight on this issue.

But, I do see some merit in the proposal, if you remember that no one in the IAFF/OPFFA is advocating replacing EMS with firefighters with 20 hours of training. Far from it. It is only seeking to train FF's to administer ventolin/nitro/epinephrin/aspirin and glucose, IF IT IS INDICATED in accordance with medical direction, as a stop gap until EMS is on scene.

A perfect example is this - ''Dave'', a middle aged, severe diabetic in my district. We typically receive 2-3 calls per week for him coming in as uncon-seizure. He goes into a full blow diabetic seizure and his wife calls 911, due to the threat of violence (unintended from him I might add) police are tiered as well. We arrived on scene over half the time before paramedics and all we can do is monitor and take vitals until the paramedics arrive. If we had the symptom relief training we could administer the glucose gel  and start levelling out his blood sugars, and thus freeing up the ACP/PCP crew and bus who have been dispatched to the call, seeing as 'Dave' always refuses to go to the hospital.

I want to reiterate that I personnally am not advocating this fire-medic idea. As I said, I think it's pissing off the wrong people and I only hope it won't affect the great working relationship I have with the professional medics in this city. I just hate how it has already, in less than a month, descended into alot of mutual ill-feeling and s**t slinging...on both sides I'd like to emphasize. My side of the table has been no better, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 22:08:53 by Towards_the_gap »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 23:00:38 »
Thanks TTG.

The three attachments below ( click to enlarge ) are from the Base Hospital Physicians of Ontario. Dated 8 July, 2015.

"Base Hospitals have not been involved in the ( OPFFA ) proposal, yet explicit references to the role of Base Hospitals and their Medical Directors occur throughout the   ( OPFFA  ) document."

"In our opinion, in order to achieve the most benefit for the patient, while balancing the risk of treatment, these skills should only be provided by fully certified and current paramedics."

Thanks again for your post!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 13:32:45 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 14:44:09 »
I saw an interactive map of Toronto Fire Service recruiting, 2000-14:
http://globalnews.ca/news/1872085/slowly-toronto-firefighters-become-more-diverse/

I'll post it here in case anyone is interested in joining.

The report says, that 72 per cent of those hired by TFS are from out-of-town.

I'm not sure about now, but in the past, I believe the ratio was similar at Toronto Police and Paramedic Services.

When I hired on, there was a Residency Requirement. But, that ended years ago. It has been a hot topic ever since.   

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 13:13:51 »
Make sure you have travel insurance. Know what it does, and does not, cover.
Even in Canada, the fee for ambulance service varies from one province to another.

If you've seen one service you've seen one service — because no two are alike.

12 Aug 2016

City of Gloucester, MA

What does it cost to be transported via Gloucester Fire Department ambulance?
All rates are per trip:

Basic life support: $1,513.84

Advanced life support: $1,797.44

Advanced life support, Level 2: $2,601.58

Mileage rate (applies to all): $46.08/mile

Supplies (oxygen, IV fluid etc.): $425

Extra EMT aboard: $600

Schultz conceded some patients are stunned when they get a bill for ambulance services.

What a ride will cost you,

Schultz’s memo outlines the city’s transport policies and fee schedules, with no proposal to alter the charges. The city’s ambulance rates, in general, range from a base of $1,513.84 per trip for basic life support services, plus $46.08 per mile, to a rate of $2,601.58 per trip for advanced life support with added costs for the use of supplies such as oxygen, or an additional EMT if needed.

Some people think that, because it’s out of the Fire Department, it’s free,” Schultz said. “Also, people are surprised at the costs.” He noted that an ambulance transport is not a ride, but more akin to treatment in a mobile emergency room, with medical personnel on board.
http://www.gloucestertimes.com/news/local_news/city-owed-k-in-fees-for-ambulance-services/article_99181b0f-2280-563b-823a-7b1c03f06969.html

They even charge extra ( $425 ) for oxygen.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 14:56:43 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 23:03:05 »
One of the reasons I wish the GTA had been allowed to separate from Ontario years ago,

Ontario firefighters slam paramedics in bid to take on medical emergencies
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/paramedics-fire-fighters-response-times-1.3867522
Video criticizes slow response times and rising costs of Ontario paramedics
In a campaign that criticizes the province's paramedics, Ontario firefighters say they have a plan to improve response times for medical emergencies.

Ontario Professional Fire Fighters' Association released a video this week that slams the province's paramedic system, saying response times are too slow, while costs continue to rise.

Not enough fires! Prevent layoffs!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 23:25:30 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 23:15:00 »
A NSFW graphic video of a jumper down - not a traumatic arrest, he is still alive - in New York City, but it's not about that. It's about patient care. Some say ...it's not so good.

Warning - Man jumping from Brooklyn Bridge possible suicide attempt might contain content that is not suitable for all ages.
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3ba_1506035907
He was alive. They tossed him onto the stretcher like a sack of potatoes. The c-collar was useless in this case.

I bet their Bureau of Investigations and Trials ( BITS ) are licking their chops over this one.

Doing a call like that would have been career suicide where I used to work.

Speaking of career suicide,

Firefighter ripped down U.S. flags put up for the 16th anniversary of 9/11.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/denton-county/fw-firefighter-accused-of-ripping-down-flags-that-had-been-raised-for-911-rememberance/482067823

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 00:10:01 by mariomike »