Author Topic: Fire-based EMS  (Read 29946 times)

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
Re: Fire-based EMS
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 19:12:25 »
The Fraser Institute report has been debunked as using incorrect data on the actual number of firefighters.

Margaret Wente only seems to post articles like those in election years. Never mind her journalistic credibility is junk anyways.

*Retracted*

Just my 2c.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 21:57:53 by Towards_the_gap »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 19:38:46 »
As for the Fire-Medic proposal, it's a shame no one has asked the base hospitals or MOHLTC for comment. Not surprisingly, they are all behind it.

That's interesting. Would you mind sharing any ( non Firefighter union or Paramedic union ) sources you may have that support "fire-medics" in Ontario? I have never seen any ( except from the Firefighter union ). But, would like to read them, if they exist.

If you don't mind me asking, are you now in the firefighters union? I'm no longer a member of any union. My opinions are ( now ) only those of a potential future patient of the "fire-medics".

"But as one of this union's most fundamental responsibilities, our involvement in EMS has also helped us create and save jobs for our members."

"Most people expect to need EMS some time in their lives while they don't necessarily expect their homes to catch fire. Local municipal officials know the public criticism and fallout from fire department cuts will be much more severe when EMS is involved in the equation. And they know that EMS operations certainly increase the clout of our local unions in their campaigns to fight those cuts."

"Our next frontier is Canada. That is why we have more than three dozen of our Canadian brothers and sisters here at this conference. Although most of Canada is still locked into a third-service EMS system with workers represented by Canada's largest public employee union, our Winnipeg local's success in integrating EMS into its fire department has shown that fire-based EMS can and, if I have my way, will work in Canada, too."
http://www.iaff.org/03News/061203has.html

Remarks by International Association of Firefighters ( IAFF ) General President Harold A. Schaitberger
June 12, 2003
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 20:48:47 by mariomike »

Offline Towards_the_gap

• 'Just tell your wife, that she owes your life, to a muddy old engineer'
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 21:57:28 »
mariomike - I retracted my statement about the MOHLTC/Base Hospitals being on board. It was told to me secondhand by someone and when called out by you, couldn't find any statements (from a third party) that confirmed it.

First off, yes I am in the IAFF/OPFFA, HOWEVER.... I pay the dues, and that is it. I'm not a big fan of labour organisations, and to be quite honest, I think the OPFFA has picked the wrong fight on this issue.

But, I do see some merit in the proposal, if you remember that no one in the IAFF/OPFFA is advocating replacing EMS with firefighters with 20 hours of training. Far from it. It is only seeking to train FF's to administer ventolin/nitro/epinephrin/aspirin and glucose, IF IT IS INDICATED in accordance with medical direction, as a stop gap until EMS is on scene.

A perfect example is this - ''Dave'', a middle aged, severe diabetic in my district. We typically receive 2-3 calls per week for him coming in as uncon-seizure. He goes into a full blow diabetic seizure and his wife calls 911, due to the threat of violence (unintended from him I might add) police are tiered as well. We arrived on scene over half the time before paramedics and all we can do is monitor and take vitals until the paramedics arrive. If we had the symptom relief training we could administer the glucose gel  and start levelling out his blood sugars, and thus freeing up the ACP/PCP crew and bus who have been dispatched to the call, seeing as 'Dave' always refuses to go to the hospital.

I want to reiterate that I personnally am not advocating this fire-medic idea. As I said, I think it's pissing off the wrong people and I only hope it won't affect the great working relationship I have with the professional medics in this city. I just hate how it has already, in less than a month, descended into alot of mutual ill-feeling and s**t slinging...on both sides I'd like to emphasize. My side of the table has been no better, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 22:08:53 by Towards_the_gap »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 23:00:38 »
Thanks TTG.

The three attachments below ( click to enlarge ) are from the Base Hospital Physicians of Ontario. Dated 8 July, 2015.

"Base Hospitals have not been involved in the ( OPFFA ) proposal, yet explicit references to the role of Base Hospitals and their Medical Directors occur throughout the   ( OPFFA  ) document."

"In our opinion, in order to achieve the most benefit for the patient, while balancing the risk of treatment, these skills should only be provided by fully certified and current paramedics."

Thanks again for your post!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 13:32:45 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 14:44:09 »
I saw an interactive map of Toronto Fire Service recruiting, 2000-14:
http://globalnews.ca/news/1872085/slowly-toronto-firefighters-become-more-diverse/

I'll post it here in case anyone is interested in joining.

The report says, that 72 per cent of those hired by TFS are from out-of-town.

I'm not sure about now, but in the past, I believe the ratio was similar at Toronto Police and Paramedic Services.

When I hired on, there was a Residency Requirement. But, that ended years ago. It has been a hot topic ever since.   

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 13:13:51 »
Make sure you have travel insurance. Know what it does, and does not, cover.
Even in Canada, the fee for ambulance service varies from one province to another.

If you've seen one service you've seen one service — because no two are alike.

12 Aug 2016

City of Gloucester, MA

What does it cost to be transported via Gloucester Fire Department ambulance?
All rates are per trip:

Basic life support: $1,513.84

Advanced life support: $1,797.44

Advanced life support, Level 2: $2,601.58

Mileage rate (applies to all): $46.08/mile

Supplies (oxygen, IV fluid etc.): $425

Extra EMT aboard: $600

Schultz conceded some patients are stunned when they get a bill for ambulance services.

What a ride will cost you,

Schultz’s memo outlines the city’s transport policies and fee schedules, with no proposal to alter the charges. The city’s ambulance rates, in general, range from a base of $1,513.84 per trip for basic life support services, plus $46.08 per mile, to a rate of $2,601.58 per trip for advanced life support with added costs for the use of supplies such as oxygen, or an additional EMT if needed.

Some people think that, because it’s out of the Fire Department, it’s free,” Schultz said. “Also, people are surprised at the costs.” He noted that an ambulance transport is not a ride, but more akin to treatment in a mobile emergency room, with medical personnel on board.
http://www.gloucestertimes.com/news/local_news/city-owed-k-in-fees-for-ambulance-services/article_99181b0f-2280-563b-823a-7b1c03f06969.html

They even charge extra ( $425 ) for oxygen.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 14:56:43 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 23:03:05 »
One of the reasons I wish the GTA had been allowed to separate from Ontario years ago,

Ontario firefighters slam paramedics in bid to take on medical emergencies
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/paramedics-fire-fighters-response-times-1.3867522
Video criticizes slow response times and rising costs of Ontario paramedics
In a campaign that criticizes the province's paramedics, Ontario firefighters say they have a plan to improve response times for medical emergencies.

Ontario Professional Fire Fighters' Association released a video this week that slams the province's paramedic system, saying response times are too slow, while costs continue to rise.

Not enough fires! Prevent layoffs!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 23:25:30 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 23:15:00 »
A NSFW graphic video of a jumper down - not a traumatic arrest, he is still alive - in New York City, but it's not about that. It's about patient care. Some say ...it's not so good.

Warning - Man jumping from Brooklyn Bridge possible suicide attempt might contain content that is not suitable for all ages.
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3ba_1506035907
He was alive. They tossed him onto the stretcher like a sack of potatoes. The c-collar was useless in this case.

I bet their Bureau of Investigations and Trials ( BITS ) are licking their chops over this one.

Doing a call like that would have been career suicide where I used to work.

Speaking of career suicide,

Firefighter ripped down U.S. flags put up for the 16th anniversary of 9/11.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/denton-county/fw-firefighter-accused-of-ripping-down-flags-that-had-been-raised-for-911-rememberance/482067823

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 00:10:01 by mariomike »